Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Hogge Wild posted:

I still haven't decided if I want to watch S5

Could have left it here and it would still mean the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like there was another GRRM College humor I missed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZh1xK30W2Q

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
GRRM doesn't deserve to finish his own series at the point. Like in a cosmic karmic sense.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

GRRM doesn't deserve to finish his own series at the point. Like in a cosmic karmic sense.

GRRM hates fanfiction of his series. D&D write official fanfiction of his series before he does and the series ends in the form of fanfiction. GRRM has to write novelisations of the TV show that are essentially fanfiction.

I bet GRRM owns a monkey's paw. "I wish for my series to be finished in a few years".

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ZShakespeare posted:

You are asking the wrong question. The question you should be asking is if you want to watch S5 before the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. Before the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. Before your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child.

Aston posted:

Could have left it here and it would still mean the same.

Nah, it was just a sweet summer child's post from the GBS thread.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Karma would be him dying now and being reincarnated with no knowledge of his past life, growing up, falling for asoiaf series, and living a fundamentally unfulfilled life, hating that Absolute Fucker for not finishing his series when he had decades to write. Somehow, he is subconsciously pained by the echoes of his past life.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I wonder if GRRM will just flip one day and leak the entire plot outline on his blog so the show can't steal his thunder.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Ague Proof posted:

I wonder if GRRM will just flip one day and leak the entire plot outline on his blog so the show can't steal his thunder.

he would have to have a plot outline to do that

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
He'll go to the theater where they're first showing the Season 7 premiere and yell "Cersei kills Arya!"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I look forward to the day where GRRM says/blogs something that finally alienates all his big fans. Something really dumb that shows how much of an rear end in a top hat he is. Like "GOOD NEWS: I've written so much fantastic material for my next book Winds of Winter that I've decided to split it into two full length novels!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

computer parts posted:

Hardly anyone's plot arc was finished in book 6 of Harry Potter, that doesn't really indicate anything.

Harry Potter's plot arcs also required little more than a dismount considering how there was one dominant plot thread propelling literally everything ("OH poo poo EVIL WIZARD DUDE IS BACK!"). In ASoIaF we have a minimum of 3 major threads (Ice Pops, Dany's literal poo poo, and the Musical Chairs) with so many minor ones and tiny esoteric corners of the plot that to resolve all of them is going to take an entire doorstopper of a novel by itself.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If trying to sugarcoat the whole "the tv series is about to spoil your books because I'm slow and lazy" doesn't do it, nothing will.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I'm hoping the comet comes back and obliterates Essos wrapping all that poo poo up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm hoping for a holodeck ending, and every single "player" remaining gets up and meets up with every other player outside for cake.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

I'm hoping for a holodeck ending, and every single "player" remaining gets up and meets up with every other player outside for cake.

Better damned well be lemoncakes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Approximately what are the chances we hear the words "it's about the journey, not the destination."

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 11, 2015

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Approximately what are the chances we hear the woods "it's about the journey, not the destination."

What, like a horror movie or something? "It Blogs"?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Approximately what are the chances we hear the woods "it's about the journey, not the destination."

I've been saying this for literally years now. It's going to be said a loving lot.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The worst part of Lost was hearing Claire say the word "journey"

All Australians go home

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Bioware used almost those exact words in an advertisement a month or two after Mass Effect 3 came out.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's not even that there isn't truth to the phrase, it's that it's such an obvious crutch and cop-out for loving up the ending of a story and has been for multiple series within my lifetime alone.

I've heard it in reference to:

The Sopranos
The X-Files
BSG
Y: The Last Man
LOST
Mass Effect 3
Final Fantasy IX

and those are the big ones.

and very soon Game of Thrones will be on that list too.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Approximately what are the chances we hear the words "it's about the journey, not the destination."

Sounds like the plot synopsis of AFFC/ADWD.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Though no destination at all, so that's all they can be about, of couse.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 11, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Final Fantasy IX

Wait, IX? I don't recall IX being terrible and disappointing, not like what they did to VII and X, or the entirety of XIII. And what happened with Y: The Last Man?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I never really knew or cared, I'm only referring to long-running media stories where I've personally seen kerfuffles erupt over people fighting over the ending being dissatisfying and someone whipping out "it's not about the destination, it's about the journey" like a :smug: piece of poo poo who thinks a half-truth is the same as a silver bullet. For the record I really liked The Sopranos ending, out of those endings I stuck around to see--out of the media I listed that I ever tried to consume I bailed on most of them before the end because I could smell the poo poo and the journey wasn't fun anymore (BSG, Y: The Last Man, LOST).

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

mind the walrus posted:

It's not even that there isn't truth to the phrase, it's that it's such an obvious crutch and cop-out for loving up the ending of a story and has been for multiple series within my lifetime alone.

The Sopranos
The X-Files
BSG
LOST
Mass Effect 3
Final Fantasy IX

Oh god I had completely forgotten about Y: The Last Man. It's possibly the worst of the bunch and the best case I can think of subsequently realizing the "journey" was actually kind of poo poo.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Whoa whoa, Y haters? It was p obvious that it was all about their roadtrip and how Yorick was the stupidly lucky idiot and how 355 and Mann had to put up with him. Like, there wasn't anything disingenuous about the premise all the way up to the end: These people have to travel to find out why all the men died, and they do so.

Along the same lines, but less forthcoming about it, BSG's 'God did it,' and Lost's 'the island is magic' were always fallback crutches from the first episodes that, while weak as hell after all the seasons, were still endings that were pre-set.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I truly cannot quantify how few fucks I give without some sort of particle accelerator to allow for observation. My examples weren't about whether or not the titles were deserved, merely the types of series that get the "journey not destination" moniker thrown on it when it's really a weaksauce excuse.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Hogge Wild posted:

I'm hoping for another book

I have some bad news for you

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ross posted:

I have some bad news for you

The Wit and Wisdom of Jon Snow counts as a book.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

mind the walrus posted:

The Sopranos
The X-Files
BSG
LOST
Mass Effect 3
Final Fantasy IX

ME3 feels like the worst one on that list (though I never watched LOST) only because the ending was a 90 degree turn. At least the endings for the rest of them didn't come out of nowhere. BSG's was unsatisfying, but you could sort of see it coming and you just crossed your fingers and hoped it didn't end that way, and the grudgingly be like "egh".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Wit and Wisdom of Jon Snow counts as a book.

A pity they didn't release that one during Season 3 at the height of the show's popularity or they could have literally written a one-page book that said "nothing" and it still would have sold enough to justify its existence on the ledgers.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Karnegal posted:

ME3 feels like the worst one on that list (though I never watched LOST) only because the ending was a 90 degree turn. At least the endings for the rest of them didn't come out of nowhere. BSG's was unsatisfying, but you could sort of see it coming and you just crossed your fingers and hoped it didn't end that way, and the grudgingly be like "egh".

Don't forget to mention how the ME3 ending came about because the two lead guys locked themselves in a room away from the other writers so they could create a 'deep, artistic, and thought provoking' twist in a brainstorming session that literally involved doodling things from 2001 and The Matrix onto a napkin.

It really was the loving worst.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 11, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Don't forget to mention how the ME3 ending came about because the two lead guys locked themselves in a room away from the other writers so they could create a 'deep, artistic, and thought provoking' twist in a brainstorming session that literally involved doodling things from 2001 and The Matrix onto a napkin.

It really was the loving worst.

Which also came about because the original ending they'd been telegraphing for the previous two games was leaked online midway through the game's development, so they scrambled to create a new and "better" ending pretty much out of spite for their audience.

The loving worst.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Which also came about because the original ending they'd been telegraphing for the previous two games was leaked online midway through the game's development, so they scrambled to create a new and "better" ending pretty much out of spite for their audience.

The loving worst.

Wait, the dark energy plot got leaked? I don't remember that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kavak posted:

Wait, the dark energy plot got leaked? I don't remember that.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-07-mass-effect-3-story-files-leaked

The beta got leaked on Xbox Live in November 2011 and someone cracked it open and found readable script and story notes inside it, which a Russian ME fansite then plastered all over the internet, which facilitated the "Casey Hudson and Mac Walters Wild Closet Weekend" rewrite ending.

:speculate:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Shageletic posted:

Looks like there was another GRRM College humor I missed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZh1xK30W2Q

good poo poo. i laughed.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

People bitching about ME3's ending being poo poo distracts from the rest of the game being poo poo, too. It's not a fun game.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

People bitching about ME3's ending being poo poo distracts from the rest of the game being poo poo, too. It's not a fun game.

Patrick Weekes said the ending was done away from the rest of the writing staff, unlike everything else in the game. Which means everything on Rannoch, the Chekhov's Fart of the rachni, Kai Leng, all of that got the approval of the rest of the staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Don't forget the dramatic loss of innocence when the one kid in the universe dies in the beginning. Yes the whole game sucked rear end in nearly every way but we were talking about endings in preparation for the poo poo GRRM is gonna churn out.