Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I know, I know, we're goons and we all drink nothing but the local microbrewery's award-winning Wild IPA, but come on, there's room in this world for all sorts of beer. This is a thread for celebrating the cheap poo poo you can buy by the dozens at the gas station.

My favorite in this category would be Schlitz, because it's actually drat good since the reintroduced the old formula from the early 60s, but I can only get that from BevMo where I live. So in its place I'm choosing good ol' Pabst Blue Ribbon, hipster associations be damned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
That blue tinted Cisco.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
If theres a gas station in wisconsin that doesnt sell spotted cow, I dont want to find it. Also, high life.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I miss living in MA, where I could get 6 16 ounce Narragansetts for 4.49.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
PBR 4 life but Hamm's or Rainier if it's actually cheaper.

Asterion
Nov 7, 2012

Goddamn you PA and your antiquated beer laws

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I live in Oregon, you can just get good beer at every gas station here.

So, uh, Session Black if I'm going to slum it. I used to drink Rainer and Olympia by the case, and Rainier is probably one of the only decent mass market American lagers (unless you count stuff like Simple Times and other canned Trader Joe's beer) and Olympia is pretty OK.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I miss living in MA, where I could get 6 16 ounce Narragansetts for 4.49.

'Gansett supremacy!

It's pretty hard to get beers at actual gas stations here, but my go to cheap drink is usually a big ol' 40 of Olde English 800. Tasty and cheap!

I was in New Orleans for Mardi Gras and I copped a few 24 oz. cans of Tecate from a Walgreens. It was pretty useful to take those into a club and not have to pay for drinks. For some reason I can't really find Tecate up here in MA, maybe I'm not looking hard enough...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I live in Oregon, you can just get good beer at every gas station here.

You can get decent beer at gas stations, but those aren't Gas Station Beers.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

They don't sell beer in gas stations here but if they did it would be this

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

At least Steelies taste like something, everything else that gets sold at gas stations in my area tastes like some kind of homeopathic attempt to get drunk.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

:agreed:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Can we post gas station wines? Because I've drank my share of Concha y Toro, and some of the varietals aren't terrible. Yellowtail can go to hell, though.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
Natty Daddy. 8% 25oz for $1.29.

I have to put a splash of OJ or lemonade in to choke it down, but it'll get ya durnk.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Finding this stuff at a liquor store isn't very easy in my area, but it's at loads of gas stations. loving delicious.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Crow Jane posted:

Can we post gas station wines? Because I've drank my share of Concha y Toro, and some of the varietals aren't terrible. Yellowtail can go to hell, though.

Wild Irish Rose 18% or gtfo

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

I don't understand how you could dislike Coors Light if you like any beer. It just feels like you're drinking a can of Beer Stem Cells.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

blunt for century posted:

Wild Irish Rose 18% or gtfo

The hobos in the alley behind my building seem to agree with you.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't understand how you could dislike Coors Light if you like any beer. It just feels like you're drinking a can of Beer Stem Cells.

There is no reason to buy Coors Light if you are not playing a drinking game.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Crow Jane posted:

The hobos in the alley behind my building seem to agree with you.

It's like triple strength kool aid mixed with terrible vodka

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

IT'S MILLER TIME

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I live in CT and it's illegal to sell alcohol at gas stations. Depending on how you look at it, this is either surprising because gas stations didn't exist when our liquor laws were written 400 years ago or unsurprising because BevMax doesn't own any gas stations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
It used to be High Life until I wised up and shelled out the couple of extra bucks for Molson Ice.

A million years ago the gas station next to my old apartment sold Leffe and this was considered to be a golden era for drinking and not having to drive to get beer.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It's like triple strength kool aid mixed with terrible vodka

Better or worse than MD 20/20? I was once at a party where the punishment for loving up in the silly drinking game we were playing was taking a shot of whatever their blue flavor is supposed to be. One girl, who had both done a grav bong hit earlier and wasn't very bright to begin with, hosed up a lot. She ended up with the nickname "Headwound".

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Crow Jane posted:

Better or worse than MD 20/20? I was once at a party where the punishment for loving up in the silly drinking game we were playing was taking a shot of whatever their blue flavor is supposed to be. One girl, who had both done a grav bong hit earlier and wasn't very bright to begin with, hosed up a lot. She ended up with the nickname "Headwound".

I'm not sure. Never had mad dog. The Rose is extremely sweet, and you can barely taste the alcohol, if that helps.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I'm not sure. Never had mad dog. The Rose is extremely sweet, and you can barely taste the alcohol, if that helps.

Then it's better than Mad Dog.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This is my favourite video pertaining to MD 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooOz93Pcoy0

Kent's actually dead now, by the way. From alcoholism.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Back in my college days, every now and then my friends and I would get trashed on MD 20/20.

I seem to recall the strawberry and the blue flavor were ok and you couldn't taste the alcohol that much.

But always avoid the reg grape flavor and any of the green colored ones.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

DrBouvenstein posted:

Back in my college days, every now and then my friends and I would get trashed on MD 20/20.

I seem to recall the strawberry and the blue flavor were ok and you couldn't taste the alcohol that much.

But always avoid the reg grape flavor and any of the green colored ones.

We started college road trips with the Mad Dog Challenge. There was a steep grade we went down 45min away. Had to be gone by then.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Whichever of High Life / Busch / Hamm's / PBR is on sale

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Oh god, MD 20/20. I got a bottle years ago in college to see if it was just as bad as I remembered and I couldn't even drink half of it. Bought a bottle of Thunderbird once on a dare. It tasted like someone had washed the bottle with kerosene before filling it with cheap almost flavorless white wine. Disgusting.

I used to get Steel Reserve or Four Lokos (ugh) years ago but since all these ciders and fruity ales started blowing up in gas stations, now my go to is Redd's Wicked Apple. It's an 8% apple ale and doesn't taste like complete poo poo. It's not super awesome or anything but better than Four Loko or any of the other knockoffs.

But Redd's Strawberry Apple ale is so loving magically delicious and refreshing I'd just drink it to drink it if I could, it's like a strawberry soda that's also a beer. Too bad it's only 5%.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

empty sea posted:

Oh god, MD 20/20. I got a bottle years ago in college to see if it was just as bad as I remembered and I couldn't even drink half of it. Bought a bottle of Thunderbird once on a dare. It tasted like someone had washed the bottle with kerosene before filling it with cheap almost flavorless white wine. Disgusting.

I used to get Steel Reserve or Four Lokos (ugh) years ago but since all these ciders and fruity ales started blowing up in gas stations, now my go to is Redd's Wicked Apple. It's an 8% apple ale and doesn't taste like complete poo poo. It's not super awesome or anything but better than Four Loko or any of the other knockoffs.

But Redd's Strawberry Apple ale is so loving magically delicious and refreshing I'd just drink it to drink it if I could, it's like a strawberry soda that's also a beer. Too bad it's only 5%.

Redd's is pretty good, but too much cider gives me wicked heartburn. gently caress Four Loko though; the fact that it was outlawed because young people couldn't handle it is kinda dumb, but honestly it should have been outlawed for the sake of good taste anyway.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah we're sort of living in the dark ages for hobo wines. They're a serious dying breed because they just aren't economical now that you can get poo poo like Sparks for a dollar. Like back in the day we would buy Mickeys, but that poo poo is like 2 dollars for something thats really low alcohol compared to a 3 dollar bottle of wine from Trader Joe's or similar cheap stuff. The UK has us beat on bad cheap liquor tho. Buckfast and Buckies are some foul poo poo.

In Korea they sell this lager called Hite that comes in huge rear end bottles for cheap. It's not too bad, tastes a bit like Hamms I guess. It's got nothing on Korean unfiltered rice wine tho, that stuff is cheap, tasty and gets you drunk as hell.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?
Hamm's is my go-to ultra cheap beer, but gas station beer to me means big cans, single servings etc.

Beast Ice $1 "out the door" for a 24ozer is the only way to go.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

What exactly is the difference between malt liquor and beer? Is it a strength thing, an ingredients thing, or a cost/value thing?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

empty sea posted:

I remember reading somewhere that despite being clear, Thunderbird will somehow turn your tongue black if you drink enough of it :gonk:

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.

What exactly is the difference between malt liquor and beer? Is it a strength thing, an ingredients thing, or a cost/value thing?

If Billy Dee Williams would tell you to drink it, it's malt liquor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's all alcohol % and malt barley. If it doesn't use malt barley and it gets you drunk(er), its "high gravity" (great term) or "ice" beer.

Alternatively you can make ice beer from regular beer by freezing it and pouring off the liquid that doesn't solidify. The alcohol freezes at a lower temp than the water, so you get more booze per drink from the stuff.

My pick always was and always will be PBR. But I won't pass a Blatz, Schlitz, Hamms, or Old Style.

• Locked thread