Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

if you want to get to the rat, you'll have to go through me. and my flavor says i weigh almost 300 pounds so that will take a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman
Yeah it is true. I'm going to bed now.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Or you guys could be a scum team

?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

presuming you think Narc is town then.

I'd like to hear what you think about Ram. I can't tell if his reluctance to comment on any actual content and extreme emotionality makes him scum or just Ram.

I don't have an alignment read on either of them.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Or you guys could be a scum team

?

Scum wouldn't claim confirmed masons d1, c'mon.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

i have done this before... with two of my scummates

on the other hand ##vote anonnarc is it your first time scumming?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Samfucius posted:

Nothing is too scummy for scum.

I don't like confirmed masons as a day one claim with very little pressure y'all

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Look Under The Rock posted:

I don't like confirmed masons as a day one claim with very little pressure y'all

On the other hand, do you like *anything* that has transpired thus far?

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

Doug Rattman posted:

There's absolutely no point in reading jokephase. I'll read page 8.

This is super wrong and dumb.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

I feel like this isn't necessarily correct. Scum isn't an actual irl thing we're playing against people so prescriptive expectations about scum behaviour are bound to be confounded imo. In fact I'd probably be willing to test this masonry claim with a plorping.

My vote on max is now non-joking, he seems cagey to me, like he's doing a lot of short comments that aren't giving much away or being particularly useful and there's no real difference/improvement in content from his jokephase votes on ram/me/diqnol and his serious one on wall monitor:

Max posted:

Little Mac posted:

My mamma she-a de best lady I ever did see-a. Since I moved outta de Italy I gotta say I miss-a her so much-a. When I was-a da little bambino I ate-a de pasta anna de pizza anna she made-a me have-a de best gut-a! My gut-a says I should-a ##vote wall monitor but that's-a just-a my gut talking!!!
I hate PR but also ##vote wall monitor

Serious voting time comes and he's quoting mac and complaining about their PR but doesn't talk about the person he's voting, so I guess we can infer he agrees with mac's gut?

I also take issue with the post by LUTR that poque complained about, I didn't like the way it was putting the onus on others to generate content and made vague threats/promises of future content. Would probably vote them as a distant second/third choice.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Ernie. posted:

i have done this before... with two of my scummates

on the other hand ##vote anonnarc is it your first time scumming?

I was scum in my first ever mafia game! But I'm town here pardner :clint:

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

On the other hand, do you like *anything* that has transpired thus far?

Little Mac's PR

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Puntification posted:

I also take issue with the post by LUTR that poque complained about, I didn't like the way it was putting the onus on others to generate content and made vague threats/promises of future content. Would probably vote them as a distant second/third choice.

Btw my new least favorite buzzphrase is any variation of "generating content"

And sorry for asking people to quit jokephase but 1) it worked and 2) it worked

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Puntification posted:

I feel like this isn't necessarily correct. Scum isn't an actual irl thing we're playing against people so prescriptive expectations about scum behaviour are bound to be confounded imo.

What does this mean?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it's a scumclaim

##vote punt

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's a scumclaim

##vote punt

Actually I'm on board because "generating content"

##vote punt

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.

In an effort to fight off the overwhelming ennui which is sweeping over this thread, as well as a way to clarify my own thoughts, here is A Post:

Anonymous Narcotic: Extent of post history: poop, joke vote, asking about items from shopa, finally casting suspicion on someone - no vote, though, etc, etc. 11 posts, her vote is still on Ernie for poop reasons. Only considers/ed Poque, Doug, and Gulag scummy. I don't see a lot of effort to actually hunt scum, and I would (and am) voting her.

chaoslord: Lurker, 5 posts since game started, not a single game-related post. Top 3 scum picks please.

Doug Rattman: I don't totally disagree with your philosophy on jokephase, and I don't necessarily doubt the mason claim, but I would be more comfortable with knowing who your top 3 scum picks are.

Ernie.: Leaning town here. One of only a few people to actually be voting, and while his vote posts are short and sweet, I don't disagree with his views. Agree with him voting TheRam for what looks like white-knighting a "newbie."

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE: Could you explain how you went from your opinion on Max here to him being town here? And your TheRam vote for him "being cagey," you just seemed to drop your suspicion of him for the Doug vote (which I perceived as a joke). What do you think of the mason claim?

GulagDolls: I don't necessarily disbelieve the mason claim, but I'd be curious to hear if you still think somberbrero is scum, and if so, why - I took your vote as a joke.

Hal Incandenza: Lurker. Jokevote on TheRam. Post more.

Little Mac: Our resident shopkeeper. The game obviously has some different roles, so I don't necessarily doubt your claim, but I don't know what that says for your alignment. Doubt scum would fakeclaim something that would put them in the spotlight such as this. Your gutvote on wall monitor (which I don't necessarily disagree with) - is that still what you're sticking with?

Look Under The Rock: You've been here posting, yet your vote is a joke/lurker vote. I get the whole deadline thing was a big Charlie Foxtrot, which I basically ignored, but since then pretty much all you've said is you don't trust the mason claim. Who do you think is scummy? I'd like a top 3 scum picks from you, please and thank you.

Max: Pretty much the entirety of your content involves talking about wall monitor here, here, and then a vote here. Oh, and you think Doug is lazy. For the #5 poster in the game, you haven't actually said why you felt anyone was scummy at all. Would vote.

Opopanax: Is there anything else to your somber vote than "he voted poque -> scum"? You don't have a ton of content so I am having a hard time getting a read on you.

PERPETUAL IDIOT: Lurker. One content post. No idea who you think is scum. Who are your top 3 scum picks?

Pinterest Mom: Lurker. Contradictory posts on Anonymous here, then a day later here. Do not have a read, would like a top 3 scum picks from you.

Poque: Well now that Deadlinegate is resolved, who do you think is scum? You unvoted LUTR, and your only other vote was Max - do you still think Max is scummy? And if not, then who? (As an aside, I get a town vibe - part of me thinks that if you were scum, one of your scumbros would have mentioned a deadline OOT as opposed to letting you make a spectacle of yourself.)

Puntification: (Jokingly?) Defends somber here, then some irrelevant stuff about chavs, and then, since I started my effort post, content! I actually agree with everything you said in your post there, and put you in the town category for the moment.

Rurea: Lurker. One "content post." Need to hear more from you to get an opinion.

Samfucius: Lurker up until this morning, Doug vote and "case" screams low hanging fruit. Assuming Doug really is a town mason, who else do you think is scum?

somberbrero: I think of everyone I've read up to this point I am most confident somber is town. I'll admit, it's more of a gut thing, but it seems like he's making good points and isn't just voting off the cuff.

TheRam: As the #3 poster, the extent of his content is: 1. Tunnels on somberbrero. 2. The low hanging fruit that is Doug. 3. ...
Honestly, your case on somber is "he's more prickly than usual." Which boils down to a meta case. And you call out Doug for saying he doesn't take stock in joke phase. Everything else is you saying "ugh I'm in the bathtub someone sum up the thread." Who are your top 3 scum picks?

wall monitor: I don't get your pessimistic "oh well people are going to call my cases manufactured anyway so why try?" attitude - the game just started, everyone's struggling to squeeze blood cases from the stone that is joke phase. But turning around and voting a guy two posts later for saying he doesn't read joke phase just looks like you're lazy and opportunistic. I am still not convinced you're scum, but I'd like to see your top 3 scum picks.

WHICH WAY MADNESS:

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Oh look some more posts, including two votes that I completely disagree with.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

LUTR, don't look now, but I may have, um...

...generated some content

:(

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Oh look some more posts, including two votes that I completely disagree with.

Deflecting from "come on, a confirmed mason claim isn't a good place to start looking for scum" with "what is even the nature of scumminess, or existence, or anything" is awkward af. It's a good vote.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Punt what is a "plorping"?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It's a euphemism for lynch.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

Deflecting from "come on, a confirmed mason claim isn't a good place to start looking for scum" with "what is even the nature of scumminess, or existence, or anything" is awkward af. It's a good vote.

Yeah I don't get that at all. You said "I don't think scum would claim confirmed masons D1," Punt said "that's not necessarily true, people don't follow a set pattern of behavior," so your natural response was to go "welp you disagreed with me, scum ##vote". It's not a good vote.

LUTRs is worse for its opportunism.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Something about LUTRs treatment of "joke phase" and "ending joke phase" and all that poo poo feels pretty contrived.

Jokephase is a fluid thing imo, this whole idea of the joke phase having a distinct end seems like something the scum would be more conscious of.

It's like "hello so if I post something now will you be critical of me?" who gives a gently caress if you're town?

##vote LUTR

I'll do a re-read today at some point of the entire thread. Probably within 3 hours of now. So I might change my mind I guess.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I remember the good old days when everyone was confirmed masons with gulag

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

TheRam: As the #3 poster, the extent of his content is: 1. Tunnels on somberbrero. 2. The low hanging fruit that is Doug. 3. ...
Honestly, your case on somber is "he's more prickly than usual." Which boils down to a meta case. And you call out Doug for saying he doesn't take stock in joke phase. Everything else is you saying "ugh I'm in the bathtub someone sum up the thread." Who are your top 3 scum picks?

I always put in a lot of effort in the long run and usually on D1, so I'm pretty unapologetic about being lazy when I'm not ready to spend like at least an hour reading the thread making notes to catch up. I'm a busy guy atm sorry!

Also a meta case is fine? Doug is dumb for saying joke phase doesn't matter at all because you can obviously get reads out of it, I constantly get correct reads especially on newbies there.

I'll bbl, but the scummiest thing I can remember happening atm is all this poo poo about jokephase or is it not jokephase etc. It's a dumb topic and I'm sure there are scum talking about that poo poo!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Just posting to let you guys know that my day at work today is brutally busy, not sure if or when i'll get back to this, guessing around 6p

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

TheRam posted:

Also a meta case is fine?
Meta works well as a guide, imho, but I don't think it can be the entirety of a case. Ymmv, I guess.

quote:

Doug is dumb for saying joke phase doesn't matter at all because you can obviously get reads out of it, I constantly get correct reads especially on newbies there.
Again, ymmv. I don't necessarily disagree with you, but you have to admit one thing - Doug's certainly drawn attention to himself as an "easy get," and I have to imagine not everyone going after him is town.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Yeah I don't get that at all. You said "I don't think scum would claim confirmed masons D1," Punt said "that's not necessarily true, people don't follow a set pattern of behavior," so your natural response was to go "welp you disagreed with me, scum ##vote". It's not a good vote.

nah

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Meta works well as a guide, imho, but I don't think it can be the entirety of a case. Ymmv, I guess.

Again, ymmv. I don't necessarily disagree with you, but you have to admit one thing - Doug's certainly drawn attention to himself as an "easy get," and I have to imagine not everyone going after him is town.

I didn't vote Doug did I? I didn't go after him... I think we're in agreement, bud. The majority of my early cases are based on figuring out who the LHF is, and disagreeing with others about what qualifies as LHF/easy cases.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Wow I have a lot of posts to catch up on here! Sorry I was not around at all the last 36 hours. I don't suppose anyone would summarize everything for me so I don't have to read back?

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Lurking is obviously a tactic that scum can use to divert attention away from themselves by not being able to slip up in the first place. On the other hand, if I remember correctly, Hal Incandenza just doesn't post D1. Or is it winvirus that does that? I haven't played in so long.

In response to TheRam, if you can get reads out of jokephase, then please do read it. I'm always happy to see people generating content for town. Maybe I'm in the wrong place mentally, but I'm not good at reading tells in jokephase. The aftermath is what I can get poo poo out of.

I also enjoy madness' posting. g'job

Ernie's vote for narc without any evidence is kind of weird. I would like to see why he thinks narc is scum instead of just throwing out a vote with no context.
Same thing goes for Little Mac, but with slightly more evidence I guess: a gut feeling.
LUTR seems to be acting kind of erratically to me. His reason for voting punt is because punt used a buzzword he doesn't like which is dumb.
Max has dumb vote too, same reasons

I think Max is kind of the worst offender here so ##vote max

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

For the moment, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to lurkers, but come D2...

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I will post way more as soon as I am back home, so hopefully no one coldly kills me before then!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

TheRam posted:

Something about LUTRs treatment of "joke phase" and "ending joke phase" and all that poo poo feels pretty contrived.

Jokephase is a fluid thing imo, this whole idea of the joke phase having a distinct end seems like something the scum would be more conscious of.

It's like "hello so if I post something now will you be critical of me?" who gives a gently caress if you're town?

##vote LUTR

I'll do a re-read today at some point of the entire thread. Probably within 3 hours of now. So I might change my mind I guess.

Fluidity I agree with except when the OP says strict 48hr deadlines, at that point stretching jokephase only leads to lack of tells and options at deadline. I really don't see where my push to end it reads scum to you, please explain.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

LUTR, don't look now, but I may have, um...

...generated some content

:(

I hate "list of everyone" posts, it falls under generating content but your opinions seem genuine to me.

Top 3 scum are the claimed masons and Punt.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Fluidity I agree with except when the OP says strict 48hr deadlines, at that point stretching jokephase only leads to lack of tells and options at deadline. I really don't see where my push to end it reads scum to you, please explain.

Okay I will comb your post history quickly without a full context read since you're asking me for something. All posts chronological:

This is a long rear end joke phase for a game with strict 48 hr deadlines. Heading out for night two of shows soon, if there's not some serious activity when my part is over around 8 Imma meta case you chucklefux.

This is okay.

Okay for real I'll admit I did not read every post in the seven pages of goofy as hell bullshit but I pretty much assumed since there's people confirming and voting each other that A Day Hath Begun

guess not

You say that you didn't read all the posts because ~~~jokephase~~~

Lol are you making GBS threads me

Yeah I was calling out literally everyone who was posting because it's PAGES of dumb poo poo I ain't got time to read

Also whoa buddy turns out I am right about deadline

Also yeah, I was gonna leave and come back (hopefully to jokephase being over, which oh look it totally is) and that still stands because I'm gonna be onstage in an hour with little time to check in.

My post did exactly what it was supposed to and I don't get why you're so enraged over it, maybe you wanted to shitpost some more?

PAGES of dumb poo poo, very easy to skim through if it's all jokey - though? You are taking credit for killing jokephase based on the post I quoted above. This just feels pretty disingenuous.

I love people who sign up for large games and then can't even be bothered to skim

hay guys sum up game for me tia

You signed up for a large game and decided posts up until page 7 or whatever are pointless because they fall within the ~~~joke phase~~~ period which is a black and white thing apparently.

Why are you in this game

re: Doug who didn't want to read ~~~joke phase~~~ which LUTR thinks is a garbage heap of non-content.

It was jokephase up till like page 7, dude has no excuse

Again.

Btw my new least favorite buzzphrase is any variation of "generating content"

And sorry for asking people to quit jokephase but 1) it worked and 2) it worked

Seriously I've quoted every jokephase related post of yours? You single-handedly slew jokephase?

How does a game get serious without jokephase? The reason jokephase exists is because there is nothing to go on and content must be generated. You seem to want the content, but don't want to engage with jokephase. How is this a scum hunting mentality? Your approach means you're waiting for people to go from jokephase reads to serious reads and then you can pick and choose from them. It's a passive and scummy approach.

Your whole joke phase chat feels fake. Your opinions of joke phase and generating content are at odds with your apparent desire to PLAY THE GAME. That is the game... I don't see the town-brain in your posts.

I'm still happy with my vote on you, LUTR!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

you think "two scum running a claimed masons gambit" is likelier than literally anybody else being scum?

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

I hate "list of everyone" posts, it falls under generating content but your opinions seem genuine to me.

Top 3 scum are the claimed masons and Punt.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

TheRam makes a very convincing argument. I would be willing to vote for LUTR if that's what it comes down to.

• Locked thread