Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Lord Frisk posted:

It's all alcohol % and malt barley. If it doesn't use malt barley and it gets you drunk(er), its "high gravity" (great term) or "ice" beer.

Most anything you get that comes in a beer bottle is made with malt. It's really just a branding thing and supposedly may have something to do with your state liquor laws.

If your bottle of 8% ABV beer costs less than 5 dollars than it is probably going to be called malt liquor, more than that and it's just going to be beer or "barley wine" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Fair enough. It's basically a non-distinction based on who made it, right?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
The best bulk beer in Finland is probably Laitilan Kukko. Great value, doesn't taste like complete poo poo.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I live in a town where you can drive to 23 microbreweries in half an hour, and it probably became 24 while I was typing this. Steel reserve is my favorite cheap beer. My grandfather was a chemical engineer who home brewed for 15 years, and steel reserve was his favorite cheap beer. It's as strong as a scotch ale or double IPA, has actual flavor, and costs something like 75 cents a can.

You can't buy it at a gas station, though. Anything above 3.2% alcohol by weight has to be at a dedicated liquor store here.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Lord Frisk posted:

It's all alcohol % and malt barley. If it doesn't use malt barley and it gets you drunk(er), its "high gravity" (great term) or "ice" beer.

Oh, so that's what the hell Steel Reserve cans are going on about. I thought it was pure nonsense.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Lord Frisk posted:

Fair enough. It's basically a non-distinction based on who made it, right?
Pretty much. A lot of US States have weird liquor laws (for example in CT you can sell beer and malt liquor at grocery stores but not wine, distilled spirits, or mixed drinks,) and you have stuff like US Smirnoff Ice, which is a very light malt liquor made from fermented malted barley and around 5% ABV as opposed to everywhere else where it's a vodka mixer and 8% You also have stuff like the (I think now repealed) beer/ale distinction in Texas where beer was anything under 5% and ale was anything over.

To keep on topic, I'm drinking a PBR right now.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Hamm's is a bit of a favorite because a local bar sells it for $1 per 12oz can all day erry day, but if I'm hitting a gas station I'll usually spend $5 on a 6er of 16s of PBR or good 'ol Grain Belt:

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Hamm's is a bit of a favorite because a local bar sells it for $1 per 12oz can all day erry day, but if I'm hitting a gas station I'll usually spend $5 on a 6er of 16s of PBR or good 'ol Grain Belt:

Buying regular beer at the gas station is a waste IMO. You can buy 30 packs in bulk at the grocery store (if you don't like in a police state or somethin'). Gas stations are for buying large cans and 40s of hobo ice beer.

Hamm's is just a solid, buy a 30 pack to stock the fridge beer. Same tier as Bud or Coors IMO.

Lord Frisk posted:

High gravity just means "more alcohol" because it has more fermentables, and turns out stronger. "Ice" beers are just normal beer that they froze to remove some of the water and make it stronger. "Malt liquor" comes from the fact that some states have weird laws that anything labeled "beer" can only be a certain% alcohol. Malt liquors almost always have some not-barley malt in them, whereas your typical craft beer is probably 100% barley (unless it's a wheat or rye beer or whatever).

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's as strong as a scotch ale or double IPA, has actual flavor, and costs something like 75 cents a can.

I suppose this is factually true. I would say that Steel Reserve is a guilty pleasure but technically I don't actually derive any pleasure from drinking it.

I used to have a habit of drinking a ton of the stuff whenever I had to go back to my hometown for extended periods of time; first to forget how dreary my hometown is, second to forget that I've chosen to voluntarily consume Steel Reserve.

EDIT: There's actually a coupla' variations on the old classic, their Triple Export which is surprisingly not completely disgusting to drink, and their Alloy Series which is unsurprisingly completely disgusting to drink.

3 has a new favorite as of 04:19 on Apr 12, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It is really sweet and malty for a beer, but it has a strong flavor that isn't cat piss, which is more than I can say for most macrobrews, and even some microbrews. I haven't found a pilsner that I like better, although I will admit that 90% of the time I buy dark beer. So I haven't really tried everything out there.

On the other hand, I'm apparently one of the few beer lovers that doesn't like having pure hops shoved down their throat, so maybe that has to do with it. gently caress IPAs that forgot to have flavors other than orange rind and cat piss. I'll drink Myrcenary, but I'd never buy it when I can get a 6 pack of Old Chub for less than a 4 pack of Myrcenary, and enjoy it about 10x more.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
While we do have PBR in Texas, there is only one true gas station beer.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It is really sweet and malty for a beer, but it has a strong flavor that isn't cat piss, which is more than I can say for most macrobrews, and even some microbrews. I haven't found a pilsner that I like better, although I will admit that 90% of the time I buy dark beer. So I haven't really tried everything out there.

On the other hand, I'm apparently one of the few beer lovers that doesn't like having pure hops shoved down their throat, so maybe that has to do with it. gently caress IPAs that forgot to have flavors other than orange rind and cat piss. I'll drink Myrcenary, but I'd never buy it when I can get a 6 pack of Old Chub for less than a 4 pack of Myrcenary, and enjoy it about 10x more.

I just got Old Chub Nitro at BevMo today :allears:

I've never found a pilsner I like.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I assume you've tried the Little Yella Pils if you've tried the Old Chub, then? That was going to be my next try. I've never tried Old Chub nitro, I never felt like spending the extra money on it.

Cheap beer chat: Why is it that nobody makes a cheap dark beer? The cheapest I can think of is Newcastle, and at least in my area that is stretching the definition of cheap. Browns and black lagers are basically how I assumed beer would taste before I ever drank.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I assume you've tried the Little Yella Pils if you've tried the Old Chub, then? That was going to be my next try. I've never tried Old Chub nitro, I never felt like spending the extra money on it.

Yep, I used to live in Fort Collins. Little Yella Pils isn't bad, and a lot my friends who do like pilsners really like it. This was my first purchase of the Nitro; it's good, but I'm not sure it's worth paying extra.

On an unrelated note, I can still walk into Odell ~6 years after moving away and know at least one person working :unsmith:

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Gross, cheap, and readily available at the mini-mart with bullet gas by my old apartment. Although I remember only paying around $12 for the 30-pack.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

I actually can't seem to find this anywhere other than gas stations.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Four Peaks' Kiltlifter, Dale's Pale Ale or Grand Canyon Pilsner. Gas stations here actually tend to carry decent, if not a bit limited, selections of beer.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Cheap beer chat: Why is it that nobody makes a cheap dark beer? The cheapest I can think of is Newcastle, and at least in my area that is stretching the definition of cheap. Browns and black lagers are basically how I assumed beer would taste before I ever drank.

Session Black is like $10 for a box of 12 around here. There's also Guinness I guess? But they always seem to charge way more money than Guinness is really worth IMHO.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

ChipNDip posted:

Gas stations are for buying large cans and 40s of hobo ice beer.

Does anybody have specific terms for large cans of gas station beer? For me, 16 oz. cans are tallboys and 24-25 oz. cans are slamcans.

Also, for a fun summertime treat, try a Palmer Bomber: Pick up a tallboy of Mike's Hard Lemonade and a tallboy of Twisted Tea, then mix them over ice. Refreshingly intoxicating and intoxicatingly refreshing!

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpcmfjFN8OI

Also these:

When I worked at this gas station me and this dope Asian dude were the only ones that bought these but we sold a gently caress-ton of them because this guy would just sip 7-8 of these over ice a day. That's like drinking 32 Bud Lights. I was talking to my friend about him, and my friend said that this guy lives next door and always smokes people out for free. A true American Hero.

Tony Bologna has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Apr 12, 2015

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
Growing up in Upstate New York gave me a taste for Utica Club. Its a drat fine relaxing on a summer day beer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEok7S8NZE4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It costs more to make dark beer typically. You have to roast the grains for the darker flavors/colors, and that makes the malted grain they put in the beer more expensive. Lone Star makes a bock at the same price which is darker and drinkable, but pales in comparison to Ziegen Bock or Shiner Bock.

If its going to be cheap and as mass produced as a lot of these things are, they are going to keep the costs down as much as they can so you're not going to find darker beer.

• Locked thread