Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a 27" 1080p Acer CCFL LCD (H274HL) that, in the past few months, has started making a faint high pitch whining sound when the screen is all black. The sound becomes fainter and lower pitched when only half the screen is black and goes away with a non-black image.

I know that LCDs consume more power when they have to show something black, so is this a sign of an impending failure in the power system?

This is usually one of the coils in the inverter circuitry making that buzzing noise. It happens when PWM power is being supplied to the lamps. If you increase brightness to 100%, it goes away, right? At point, straight DC power is being applied, as no PWM regulation is needed to reduce power.

What I think is going on is you have some sort of auto-dimming feature enabled on your monitor that tries to improve black levels by lowering the backlight on darker images, and when this happens, the PWM signal is such that circuit board component in question starts buzzing (most likely an inductor coil on the inverter board).

I don't take this as a sign of impending failure. I've seen monitors with backlight noises keep running for the better part of a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

xenilk posted:

Question to anyone who bought "TOPSYNC 2710 LED 27" QHD 2560x1440" from ebay ... is there a way to enable the buttons at the bottom of the screen? I find that other than the power button...the other buttons don't do anything.

My brightness buttons do work, but in very, very, very small increments. My built in speaker is total garbage though, and never even bothered testing out the VOLUME buttonos.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Thirst Mutilator posted:

My brightness buttons do work, but in very, very, very small increments. My built in speaker is total garbage though, and never even bothered testing out the VOLUME buttonos.

Yup, the buttons being lol are one reason it's so cheap and why it's overclockable with low lag - there's no hardware to draw an OSD. The buttons do work, just in small increments and don't display anything to indicate they're changing. One or two buttons straight up don't do anything. Power and brightness are all you should worry about.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I went ahead and bought the ASUS VG248QE and so far I love it. Huge upgrade. I didn't know there were so many elements of Windows and the forums that were gray. Never would've known.

I upgraded to this same monitor today and am very happy with my purchase. I set the on-screen display settings using the 'test settings' section of this review https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-vg248qe/ as suggested in the amazon review of this monitor.

Need a longer cable before I'll be able to check out Pinball FX with the monitor rotated to make it tall but that's gonna be neat.

edit: this monitor should be fairly future-proof as you can diy install (or have it installed at a shop) the necessary chip/board for gsynch capability. Not important for me right now, but in a few years it will save me having to buy a new monitor to take advantage of that upgrade. I expect the price of the upgrade will go down too over time but that's not a given

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 12, 2015

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Is the 34UM95 still the only 3440x1440 21:9 non-curved option?

I've been craving it again and am really tempted to buy it (again) and see if this time I don't get a defective one.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Drogadon posted:

Is the 34UM95 still the only 3440x1440 21:9 non-curved option?

I've been craving it again and am really tempted to buy it (again) and see if this time I don't get a defective one.

There is an AOC equivalent with the same panel, the U3477PQU, which is both cheaper and with a better stand.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

There is an AOC equivalent with the same panel, the U3477PQU, which is both cheaper and with a better stand.

Is it cheaper? The LG 34UM95 is $850 on Amazon and I can't find the U3477PQU for less than $900.

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
The LG seems to fluctuate a bit in price based off of my time spent considering buying one. I eventually went with the AOC and can say aside from the bum displayport cable that came with it, I have been very happy with it. The stand is far better than the LG. Best buy will help finance the AOC for you if that's your thing too.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Deus Rex posted:

Is it cheaper? The LG 34UM95 is $850 on Amazon and I can't find the U3477PQU for less than $900.

Oh wow, must not be cheaper in America. In Australia the AOC monitor can be found for around $300 cheaper. I'd still sooner get the AOC so you have a functional stand.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

mr. nobody posted:

I upgraded to this same monitor today and am very happy with my purchase. I set the on-screen display settings using the 'test settings' section of this review https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-vg248qe/ as suggested in the amazon review of this monitor.

Need a longer cable before I'll be able to check out Pinball FX with the monitor rotated to make it tall but that's gonna be neat.

edit: this monitor should be fairly future-proof as you can diy install (or have it installed at a shop) the necessary chip/board for gsynch capability. Not important for me right now, but in a few years it will save me having to buy a new monitor to take advantage of that upgrade. I expect the price of the upgrade will go down too over time but that's not a given

I'm liking a lot of things about the monitor but am noticing a lot of other things I'm not so fond of. The main thing is that it has introduced me to how amazing 144hz looks but then at the same time screws me over by making the gamma complete poo poo when using that refresh rate. And this is after calibrating using the the settings and ICC profile from that review. At 60hz the monitor looks pretty drat good but when I switch it to 144hz, oh boy do games looks washed out and lovely albeit smooth as silk. I didn't think it would bother me as much as it does. Maybe I should go the IPS route since its looking like color depth and visual quality are more important to me than speed at the cost of graphical fidelity. But man, that speed is nice. I could return it and try some other monitors but I don't know. I'm so conflicted right now.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
If I have the patience, cash, and graphics card for it, is there any reason I wouldn't wait for the Acer XR341CK? It's supposed to be a curved 34" IPS ultrawide with 144hz 1440p g-sync. http://www.overclock.net/t/1537403/tftcentral-acer-predator-xr341ck-34-curved-gaming-screen-with-g-sync

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Ajaxify posted:

If I have the patience, cash, and graphics card for it, is there any reason I wouldn't wait for the Acer XR341CK? It's supposed to be a curved 34" IPS ultrawide with 144hz 1440p g-sync. http://www.overclock.net/t/1537403/tftcentral-acer-predator-xr341ck-34-curved-gaming-screen-with-g-sync

It's what I am waiting for and I can't freaking wait. Only downside I can see is that you are going to need some beefy cards to run everything on pretty mode for games.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ajaxify posted:

Urgh, August 2015.
I thought it was scheduled for release right about now, end of march/early april.

Etrips posted:

It's what I am waiting for and I can't freaking wait. Only downside I can see is that you are going to need some beefy cards to run everything on pretty mode for games.

Maybe DX12 will get you another couple of frames by then.
If I understand correctly, even current DX11 games should profit from the architectural change.
At least that's what I keep telling myself.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I want to believe, but DP 1.2 doesn't have enough bandwidth for 3440x1440@144Hz, and no modern cards have DP 1.3. Dual DP connections maybe?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone who has a 60hz+ screen: Is there any difference between running a game at 60fps on a 144hz, or anything above 60, screen compared to 60fps on a 60hz screen? Like is there any perceivable difference in smoothness?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I need a 22" 1680x1050 to match my current monitor, because my desktop setup is weird and I can't really fit bigger monitors on it and my desk isn't going anywhere.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-9704

Is there anything wrong with the P2213? The main things I care about are that I can raise/lower/turn the monitor (i know, what a fascinating feature) and that it's the above size, and doesn't look like poo poo.

I do gaming but I mostly just want a second monitor to read irc/watch netflix/etc. while I play in the primary monitor. Both this and my current monitor are 60hz anyway. I have a 560ti so I know this is compatible. I'll probably end up swapping my old monitor to the 'read/watch' role because this is newer and nicer.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I'm liking a lot of things about the monitor but am noticing a lot of other things I'm not so fond of. The main thing is that it has introduced me to how amazing 144hz looks but then at the same time screws me over by making the gamma complete poo poo when using that refresh rate. And this is after calibrating using the the settings and ICC profile from that review. At 60hz the monitor looks pretty drat good but when I switch it to 144hz, oh boy do games looks washed out and lovely albeit smooth as silk. I didn't think it would bother me as much as it does. Maybe I should go the IPS route since its looking like color depth and visual quality are more important to me than speed at the cost of graphical fidelity. But man, that speed is nice. I could return it and try some other monitors but I don't know. I'm so conflicted right now.

That pcmonitors icc profile instructions discuss how games often ignore the profile and you'd need to setup some sort of 'default profile' to switch to if you use icc profiles and gaming with this monitor.

I skipped the icc profile thing because that sounds like a hassle, but is this maybe what you're running into? Desktop/internet looking great but games looking worse/washed out? Or is it all the time?

I played some Talos Principle last night and didn't notice this gamma washout you described.

edit: for the record I'm just regurgitating things I read from amazon reviews and that pcmonitor site, I really don't know the technical side of things, but I'm not noticing what you're describing. I upgraded from a relatively crappy LCD screen which had backlight leakage and wasn't tiltable or height adjustable so this monitor is a massive major upgrade for computer quality of life for me, the massiveness of the upgrade could be blinding me temporarily from some of these minor things

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 12, 2015

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Tsurupettan posted:

I need a 22" 1680x1050 to match my current monitor, because my desktop setup is weird and I can't really fit bigger monitors on it and my desk isn't going anywhere.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-9704

Is there anything wrong with the P2213? The main things I care about are that I can raise/lower/turn the monitor (i know, what a fascinating feature) and that it's the above size, and doesn't look like poo poo.

I do gaming but I mostly just want a second monitor to read irc/watch netflix/etc. while I play in the primary monitor. Both this and my current monitor are 60hz anyway. I have a 560ti so I know this is compatible. I'll probably end up swapping my old monitor to the 'read/watch' role because this is newer and nicer.

I really wouldn't want to spend $190+ shipping on a 1680x1050 TN monitor personally. I'd check your measurements again since I too have a weird space-limited desk, but I was able to fit a 16:10 U2412M on it with the stand adjustments just fine. The secondary 22" monitor is shoved a little bit past the desk support on the right, but who cares since I don't really need that extra ~1/2" on a secondary screen. It's probably worth losing a little bit on the secondary for a much nicer screen.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Etrips posted:

Do we have a price range for these models yet? I'm slightly scared to know. My next pc build us getting comped by work-related pretty sure I'm going to spend what the budget would have been on monitors.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Anyone who has a 60hz+ screen: Is there any difference between running a game at 60fps on a 144hz, or anything above 60, screen compared to 60fps on a 60hz screen? Like is there any perceivable difference in smoothness?

I was curious to the answer to this myself so I just now performed a test.

I switched my screen resolution to 1920x1080 @60hz in monitor settings. I played Talos Principle for 5 minutes mostly running from place to place and looking around quickly.

I exitted the game and set monitor to 1920x1080 @144hz and loaded up the game again. It was an immediate difference even though my framerate ingame was the same (~50-62fps).

Here is the difference; take your mouse and move it around in a circle as fast as you can on a dark background, with 'mouse trails' turned off. You'll 'see' what looks like about 10 afterimages of a mouse cursor behind where the cursor actually is while you're moving it around quickly in a circle. This is at 60hz setting.

Changing it to 144hz makes me see about 20-30 afterimages of the mouse cursor as I move it around quickly on a dark background.

How this translates ingame is, when I'm turning/looking around quickly enough at 60hz things get 'stuttery' not fps lag, but you're seeing a limited number of static images/afterimages. The difference that's immediate at 144hz compared to 60hz even with the same framerate, is that when turning the visuals are a LOT more smooth.

I can much much more easily tell where my mouse cursor actually is on the screen when I'm moving it around quickly as well, ingame or out of game, even though I am perceiving these extra afterimages.

Did my best as a layperson to describe the difference, I am sure there are better technical terms and explanations for the improved smoother visuals. I'm extremely happy with the upgrade.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 12, 2015

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

BurritoJustice posted:

Oh wow, must not be cheaper in America. In Australia the AOC monitor can be found for around $300 cheaper. I'd still sooner get the AOC so you have a functional stand.

Thanks for the tip, that stand looks way better. I would get the AOC but I have to import it from the US and the ones available on Amazon don't have global shipping.

The LG still has global shipping and it's $150 cheaper than when I originally bought it, but back then it was hosed up and returning it was a huge pain, not willing to go through it again.

I wish Dell would make one at the same price point, I've had my current Dell for like 5 years and it's great, and dealing with importing it through them was a breeze.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

cisco privilege posted:

I really wouldn't want to spend $190+ shipping on a 1680x1050 TN monitor personally. I'd check your measurements again since I too have a weird space-limited desk, but I was able to fit a 16:10 U2412M on it with the stand adjustments just fine. The secondary 22" monitor is shoved a little bit past the desk support on the right, but who cares since I don't really need that extra ~1/2" on a secondary screen. It's probably worth losing a little bit on the secondary for a much nicer screen.

One monitor is limited to a height of 15.825" (40.2cm) and the other has to fit in a space that's 20.5" wide and 19.25" high (or under 15.825" instead) The desk was originally designed for a single CRT monitor, and I want to fit both monitors under the cabinetry because I need as much space in front as I can get for working. It looks like, yes, I could fit U2412M in here (or even two) if I can drop the monitor down to the bezel. Of course then there's the issue of 'I really don't want to drop $266'.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 12, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mr. nobody posted:

How this translates ingame is, when I'm turning/looking around quickly enough at 60hz things get 'stuttery' not fps lag, but you're seeing a limited number of static images/afterimages. The difference that's immediate at 144hz compared to 60hz even with the same framerate, is that when turning the visuals are a LOT more smooth.

I don't understand this. Where do the intermediate images come from, if the game is only producing a new frame every 16ms? In the mouse pointer case, Windows is generating images more frequently, so you see the intermediate steps. But if instead of A,C,E in terms of images with smaller increments of turning, you have A,B,C,D,E, something has to generate B and D, which means it's generating more frames in a second.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Subjunctive posted:

I don't understand this. Where do the intermediate images come from, if the game is only producing a new frame every 16ms? In the mouse pointer case, Windows is generating images more frequently, so you see the intermediate steps. But if instead of A,C,E in terms of images with smaller increments of turning, you have A,B,C,D,E, something has to generate B and D, which means it's generating more frames in a second.

Generally speaking, your GPU generates an image, places it into a buffer, and the buffer is pushed to the display at specific intervals. If the buffer is updated without having pushed the old frame, that frame is effectively dropped. Worst case scenario is the buffer is pushed mid-update which results in screen tearing, which is why you use V-sync to lock your framerate to your refresh rate.

The framerate of your game and the refresh rate of your monitor are two entirely separate things, and it's assumed that both sides are able to keep pace with each other. If not, it's likely bottlenecking the other (from an ideal perfect image perspective).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

isndl posted:

Generally speaking, your GPU generates an image, places it into a buffer, and the buffer is pushed to the display at specific intervals. If the buffer is updated without having pushed the old frame, that frame is effectively dropped. Worst case scenario is the buffer is pushed mid-update which results in screen tearing, which is why you use V-sync to lock your framerate to your refresh rate.

Yes, but he's saying that given the same 60Hz frame rate, he sees differences with a higher monitor refresh rate. If the game isn't calling Present() or whatever more frequently than 60Hz, how is the monitor able to display intermediate frames?

Are you saying that the game is really producing, f.e., frames at 90Hz and some of them are just getting obsoleted before scan out? That doesn't sound like what the OP was describing, since he was replying to someone asking about the benefits of 144Hz where the game could only keep up with 60. And he says that in the 144Hz mode he's still seeing the same ~60Hz frame rate, which I would expect to become 90 once the refresh rate is no longer the bottleneck.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, but he's saying that given the same 60Hz frame rate, he sees differences with a higher monitor refresh rate. If the game isn't calling Present() or whatever more frequently than 60Hz, how is the monitor able to display intermediate frames?

Are you saying that the game is really producing, f.e., frames at 90Hz and some of them are just getting obsoleted before scan out? That doesn't sound like what the OP was describing, since he was replying to someone asking about the benefits of 144Hz where the game could only keep up with 60. And he says that in the 144Hz mode he's still seeing the same ~60Hz frame rate, which I would expect to become 90 once the refresh rate is no longer the bottleneck.

Assuming a fixed 60 frames per second, you could have up to a 16ms delay before you see the new frame with a 60hz monitor, while it's closer to 6ms on the 144hz monitor. That helps account for the 'smoothness'. There shouldn't be any intermediate image difference between those though; his example of moving the mouse cursor on the desktop would have FPS in the hundreds if not thousands because it's relatively simple computation for even integrated GPUs these days and I doubt they lock the framerate for that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

isndl posted:

Assuming a fixed 60 frames per second, you could have up to a 16ms delay before you see the new frame with a 60hz monitor, while it's closer to 6ms on the 144hz monitor. That helps account for the 'smoothness'. There shouldn't be any intermediate image difference between those though; his example of moving the mouse cursor on the desktop would have FPS in the hundreds if not thousands because it's relatively simple computation for even integrated GPUs these days and I doubt they lock the framerate for that.

That would reduce latency, but I don't know why it would be smoother. You're still getting a snapshot every 16ms, regardless of whether that frame is 1ms stale or 15ms stale. He explicitly said that he wasn't talking about lag, which would be that sort of latency. I can see it feeling more responsive, but I don't see how he could get the visual smoothness he was talking about.

(I think the modern Windows desktop does composite and scan out at monitor refresh rate, including the mouse pointer.)

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

The game I tested, unscientifically, on was a game I get a variable but generally high framerate on. That could explain why the higher refresh rate smoothed out the 'apparent framerate'(?) while turning, my fps typically drops while turning in any game on this older machine. Less dropped frames (or more correctly updated frames?) when refresh/generate rates are out of synch, with a higher refresh rate on the monitor?

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

That would reduce latency, but I don't know why it would be smoother. You're still getting a snapshot every 16ms, regardless of whether that frame is 1ms stale or 15ms stale. He explicitly said that he wasn't talking about lag, which would be that sort of latency. I can see it feeling more responsive, but I don't see how he could get the visual smoothness he was talking about.

(I think the modern Windows desktop does composite and scan out at monitor refresh rate, including the mouse pointer.)

I don't know the why of it, but he's most definitely right. I just got the same monitor and the difference in smoothness when playing a game at the same fps in 60hz vs 144hz is night and day especially in first person games. The only way I would be able to describe it is unscientifically: its like when you turn in game, the screen looks like its drawn too slow in 60hz and is choppy. This results in it being extremely hard to tell whats going on around you while turning. I never even noticed this until I played a game in 144hz. In 144hz, its more similar to what happens when you turn your head in real life where the transition from one head position to another is smooth enough that you can see and take in whats happening between the two if that makes sense. Its hard to describe but the result is things look much better in general and in FPS games, I can now accurately shoot guys while turning just as easily as if i was standing still. Its made Wolfenstien a lot more fun to play, actually.

Phil Tenderpuss fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 12, 2015

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nephzinho posted:

Do we have a price range for these models yet? I'm slightly scared to know. My next pc build us getting comped by work-related pretty sure I'm going to spend what the budget would have been on monitors.

Speculation is in the $1200-1400.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Etrips posted:

OcUK, a British retailer, says the prices are aimed to be £999 with GSync and £899 without (both including VAT). They also confirmed 3440x1440 and IPS.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Just got my acer XB270HU. No dead pixels! Oh wait theres a hair stuck under the panel in the screen so theres a 1 cm black line. gently caress.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

It adds character.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Phiberoptik posted:

Just got my acer XB270HU. No dead pixels! Oh wait theres a hair stuck under the panel in the screen so theres a 1 cm black line. gently caress.

am i behind the times for not being surprised at that being the level of QC at acer?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Etrips posted:

So, uh, how many Amazon gift cards are you sitting on?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Generic Monk posted:

am i behind the times for not being surprised at that being the level of QC at acer?

Not at all, I think most people's heads are exploding that it's Acer of all companies introducing a monitor with this number of features in it at all.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nephzinho posted:

So, uh, how many Amazon gift cards are you sitting on?

Haha right now $0. But we still got time to save up!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm interested in the Dell P2715Q.

I suppose Windows' high DPI mode is still a loving joke? Talking Windows 8.1 and beyond.

Does the monitor interpolate or expect a fix resolution? Say for running games at 1080p instead of 4K.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
1080p is exactly half 4k, so you don't get any issues with it. Just 1 pixel becomes 4 pixels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Etrips posted:

Haha right now $0. But we still got time to save up!

I mentioned building a new computer to my boss and have more or less been handed a blank check to expense the whole process. Hopefully the offer holds a few months.