Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Oh my god, Sikshadow just uploaded a new video.

Chris saying Thanks every time the Napad punches him :q:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Did the new REmake take out the shoot the camera easter egg thing? Or was that just in REZero?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I thought it was only in RE2?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Chapter 5 in Resident Evil 5 is a real drag. You're fighting enemies armed with guns and rifles, but you're stuck with RE5's old controls instead of RE6's which were more suited for fighting enemies like those. I'm at chapter 6 and RE5 is overall a contender for the worst game in the main series in my opinion. RE6 is more uneven but RE5 just feels like a chore most of the time. The only tense moments come from when you can't pick up a healing spray because your inventory is full and you have to get to Sheva so you can unload your stuff but she's busy getting herself killed and oh god did you just waste that herb on yourself goddamnit Sheva you're the worst

EDIT: Having a dedicated "talk down your possessed partner" button was pretty entertaining, though.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Chapter 5 in Resident Evil 5 is a real drag. You're fighting enemies armed with guns and rifles, but you're stuck with RE5's old controls instead of RE6's which were more suited for fighting enemies like those. I'm at chapter 6 and RE5 is overall a contender for the worst game in the main series in my opinion. RE6 is more uneven but RE5 just feels like a chore most of the time. The only tense moments come from when you can't pick up a healing spray because your inventory is full and you have to get to Sheva so you can unload your stuff but she's busy getting herself killed and oh god did you just waste that herb on yourself goddamnit Sheva you're the worst

EDIT: Having a dedicated "talk down your possessed partner" button was pretty entertaining, though.

I'm more tolerant of RE5 than a lot of people, but I will always maintain that enemies with guns have no place in a Resident Evil game.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm more tolerant of RE5 than a lot of people, but I will always maintain that enemies with guns have no place in a Resident Evil game.

As Operation Racoon City proved beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Renoistic posted:

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone talk about RE5 being terrible without bringing up the fact that they were playing it solo.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone talk about RE5 being terrible without bringing up the fact that they were playing it solo.

Stop playing RE5 solo. Co-op it's way better than any other game in the series.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
RE6 is waaaaaaaay more fun to play co-op because of the improved melee system and overall speed and fluidity of movement.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah RE5 can sometimes a crapshoot solo. In co-op it's very very marginally slightly less so, so that's the better option.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Even playing RE5 in co-op, chapters 5 and 6 are just too long at times. There are parts where it feels like you just kill wave after wave of dudes and then do it again for the next five rooms. And as much as I like killing dudes, the enemies by that point become repetitive and the stage design is also really bland in those parts, like they look like a generic industrial warehouse level or something you see in a million other games.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I never had a problem with RE 5 solo and I had a great time. I didn't try it on the Professional difficulty as I am not a masochist. Keep all the healing items on yourself. Give the ai the handgun and just keep upgrading it. They'll be a headshotting machine by the endgame.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I've grown more fond of RE5 as time goes by, but I do wish they had kept the "abandoned prison filled with monsters atop a volcano" idea for the campaign, which would've made for a more interesting final environment than a boat.

RE kind of developed a boat fascination for awhile, didn't it? RE5, 6, and obviously Revelations all involve boats filled with monsters.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Don't forget Dead Aim!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Didn't Gaiden take place on a boat?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

1st AD posted:

RE6 is waaaaaaaay more fun to play co-op because of the improved melee system and overall speed and fluidity of movement.

Essentially this; RE6 is an intensely good co-op game because of the mechanics and just how good it feels to play, especially compared to RE5.

I just went through RE5 with my girlfriend recently and ... poo poo, I wasn't all that impressed. The tiniest inventories in the world combined with really boring and same-y enemies made the game feel like I was just doing the same poo poo over and over.
Not to mention that dumb bullshit flamethrower boss which was the most frustrating thing in the world.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
RE6 has the most amazingly terrible inventory system, so complaining about 5's relatively benign system doesn't make much sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The gun shooting in RE6 is and always will be pure :barf: to me, I have no compliments to pay that game. But I will say that RE5's inventory is much better than 6's "you don't even get to decide what menu item you are selecting".

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've tried on multiple occasions to play RE6 but I always get motion sickness from it, when no other modern 3D RE game does that to me. I gave that demo a few tries and figured that was the game itself trying to tell me not to play it, and be damned if I'm dropping $20 to see if the "RE4 camera patch" fixed it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

RE6 has the most amazingly terrible inventory system, so complaining about 5's relatively benign system doesn't make much sense.

It's just insanely tiny in RE5, especially if you want either or both of the armors. Or god forbid the grenade launcher.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

RE5 will always have a special place in my heart because I used to play it with a good friend back when it came out. I just finished beating it on Pro now that it's steamworks, and I just figured out that Wesker is making a joke in the first fight with him and Jill, when he says "Your future hinges upon this battle.". :downs:

Davoren fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 12, 2015

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Jia posted:

It's just insanely tiny in RE5, especially if you want either or both of the armors. Or god forbid the grenade launcher.

It's tiny because you're only meant to hold about two weapons at most. Plus the grenade launcher if you really want to push your luck. If you do that, even with the armours it's plenty big.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I've tried on multiple occasions to play RE6 but I always get motion sickness from it, when no other modern 3D RE game does that to me. I gave that demo a few tries and figured that was the game itself trying to tell me not to play it, and be damned if I'm dropping $20 to see if the "RE4 camera patch" fixed it.

Yeah, the default FOV is awful. But the latest update or the PC version does give you the option of altering the FOV so pick it up on a Steam sale or something.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just beat RE5. Wesker's VA didn't really save the game in my opinion, but he sure tried his hardest! Chris' safari outfit certainly.... is something.

Did the Chris & Jill extra mission which was OK. I'll do the last extra mission and then put away the game for good. Mercenaries has never been my thing.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 12, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
RE6 is terrible coop at times because you can tell on some parts they just didn't give a poo poo. The biggest one I can think of is the fight with Leon where Helena is stuck in some room and Leon gets to do all the cool stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The re5 inventory is tiny, but it doesn't need to be huge because storage is available. In re6, I generally don't use that much ammo thanks to the bitchin' melee combat, but all those wasted drops I can't pick up just gall me.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

RE6 is terrible coop at times because you can tell on some parts they just didn't give a poo poo. The biggest one I can think of is the fight with Leon where Helena is stuck in some room and Leon gets to do all the cool stuff.
All campaigns have at least one moment of this, usually during a boss fight. Leon, Ada and Jake's campaigns have boss fights where the lead (Leon, Ada and Jake) gets to do everything while the partner (Sherry, Agent and Helena) sit back and watch. The one you're thinking of is Simmons Phase 3, the next-to-last boss for Leon and Ada's final boss. At least in Agent and Helena's case, they can shoot at the boss (provided you have the ammo to spare and remember when the bullshit "Simmons is immune to all damage because it's Cutscene/Boss Monologue time" moments happen). Sherry? All she can do is launch boxes at the Ustanak and hope you timed it right to hit him.

Chris' campaign has one that's debatable, the aircraft section. Chris gets to move around and shoot at the J'Avo/Ogroman, while Piers can only shoot missiles and pray that the person playing Chris doesn't suck at piloting. Then, the situation gets flipped around; Piers gets to run around on the deck, get the emblem for that section and disarm the missile (despite the following cutscene telling the player you failed because the writers wrote themselves into a corner for the millionth time) while Chris just sits there and shoots at people, waiting on Piers.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

To be fair, Agent was never supposed to be in the game. He was kind of patched in since people complained Ada's campaign didn't have co-op.

But yeah the Helena and Sherry parts you mentioned are pretty bad.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Jia posted:

Essentially this; RE6 is an intensely good co-op game because of the mechanics and just how good it feels to play, especially compared to RE5.

I just went through RE5 with my girlfriend recently and ... poo poo, I wasn't all that impressed. The tiniest inventories in the world combined with really boring and same-y enemies made the game feel like I was just doing the same poo poo over and over.
Not to mention that dumb bullshit flamethrower boss which was the most frustrating thing in the world.
That flamethrower boss is loving terrible. I always just use the rocket launcher on it, which is hilarious because the fight is about five seconds long in that case.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah, the default FOV is awful. But the latest update or the PC version does give you the option of altering the FOV so pick it up on a Steam sale or something.

The console versions, too, which is kind of nuts. Console games almost never give you FOV options.

Also, I'm going to argue that RE6 had a perfect inventory system... for Mercenaries. The way it works in the campaign, especially with the old-school-FPS-like way the game just throws more and more guns into your arsenal, is terrible. The more I think about it, the more it seems like RE6 was originally designed around it's Mercenaries and multiplayer modes, then hurriedly adapted into big dumb epic of a storyline by a legion of designers who didn't get to talk to each other very much.

Renoistic posted:

Just beat RE5. Wesker's VA didn't really save the game in my opinion, but he sure tried his hardest!

The only voice actor who has done more for this franchise than DC Douglas is Barry Gjerde.

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 13, 2015

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
I don't really see RE5's inventory system much of an issue. Mostly cause I played the original games and I'm still used to 8 inventory slots.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

People who hate RE6 clearly did not play co-op Jake's campaign. It is the most amazing catastrophe. The fight against the BOW where just just kinda wander around and eventually things happen because the game doesn't really tell you where to go. Looking for data chips in a big, dark mountain, shortly followed by a two-player snowmobile escape through narrow passageways where you can collide into each other and ruin everything. Then there's a long stealth section with insta-death failure states that is insanely easy to mess up with two players. Somehow the game then reveals that it actually has competent developers on the team with a legitimately great mansion escape sequence where both players get interesting separate objectives and the action is relatively subdued compared to the entirety of the game. It turns out it was a fluke as you then encounter Ustanak for the third time while an entire city blows up around you. The campaign is topped off in an underwater lava factory where Jake has a whole character arc moment swearing he won't be like his father and will save the world but instead you just fight Ustanak for a fourth (!!!) time and then Sherry and Jake fall in love.

What loops this all around to amazing is the masterstroke they call a credits theme. :golfclap:

My co-op partner and I absolutely could not comprehend what we had experienced and what we were listening to. I highly recommend Jake's campaign to anybody.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
Playing Jake's campaign first really ruins the rest of that game for you because the other campaigns never quite manage to reach the completely batshit insane heights that Jake's does.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Kaubocks posted:

I highly recommend Jake's campaign to anybody.

:respek:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah you really have to do the campaigns in order because the insanity just ratchets up more and more (but skip Ada's because it's boring and the final form of Carla is legit disturbing horror poo poo)

Toxsyl posted:

I don't really see RE5's inventory system much of an issue. Mostly cause I played the original games and I'm still used to 8 inventory slots.

RE5 is frustrating because of how much I have to manage items once armor comes into play, and you have to spend extra time getting essential items into quickly accessible slots. In RE6 you just scroll past weapons and herbs have their own button, it flows way better.

Also I'm not sure why everyone had such a problem with the FoV, I played RE6 without knowing it was a problem people had and never even noticed it was a setting you could change.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 13, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

But Ada's campaign is cool because it has legit disturbing horror poo poo. Like, after running and gunning and body-slamming my way through three campaigns with a buddy, we were both straight-up unnerved by the boat chapter in Ada's campaign. Plus Agent is almost like Hunk, and that's cool. :allears:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Geight posted:

But Ada's campaign is cool because it has legit disturbing horror poo poo. Like, after running and gunning and body-slamming my way through three campaigns with a buddy, we were both straight-up unnerved by the boat chapter in Ada's campaign. Plus Agent is almost like Hunk, and that's cool. :allears:

Yeah, the boss in the boat at the end was great and made the campaign worth playing. The stealth sections in the first chapter is pretty bad, though.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The first time I played Jake's campaign I picked him since he's the default, and then when I re-did the game in coop my partner specifically requested to be Sherry for... some reason (I think the idea of Jake's hand-to-hand techniques intimidated him? I dunno). Anyway, as a result I've never actually seen what Sherry DOES while Jake is having his little fistfight over the lava. Something about a crane which may or may not help Jake, but is that all? Seems disappointing.

And I still like RE6 better than 5, just because it has less instant-death bullshit. If they ever went back and modded RE5 with the 'disable all QTEs' option they put in RE6, I'd probably adore it. Though I think it will always kind of bother me how your guns never really mean much in RE5 boss fights; between flamethrowers, incinerator chambers, knife QTEs, special plot-device rocket launchers, vehicle-mounted miniguns, and satellite lasers, it seems like your firepower is always mostly useless at the time when it should matter the most.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Yeah, the boss in the boat at the end was great and made the campaign worth playing. The stealth sections in the first chapter is pretty bad, though.

I honestly don't even remember the stealth section, so I'm assuming it was just kill an enemy silently or a few more enemies will spawn and you kill all those dudes. I'm down with those just because either way I look cool getting through the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Backhand posted:

I've never actually seen what Sherry DOES while Jake is having his little fistfight over the lava. Something about a crane which may or may not help Jake, but is that all?

I played as Sherry when my buddy and I played. Sherry goes up to a crane and can send crates down one of 3-5 tracks to try and hit Ustanak. That's about it. The depth perception on it is pretty bad and it's really easy to miss. Not a completely terrible segment, just... eh.

EDIT:
Also I've never done any of Ada's campaign beyond the first chapter. I'm tempted to just skip it permanently at this point since that first chapter was hella boring and everyone here is saying it sucks.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 13, 2015