Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I also noticed while playing solo that mobs can teleport through walls in rather annoying ways, when you're only like 10-20ft away.. In the video I posted you can see the mob randomly gives up on doors and warps across the map to another door, and this happens all the time when you move around. If you lock a door and run away across the map, mobs will teleport in front of you across the map.

One thing I do want to compliment the devs on.. your animations are amazing. This game has some of the best weapon/enemy animations I've seen.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

I'm pretty sure people can just cheat their level if they want, so a way to grind exp isn't much of an issue in comparison.

Here's someone with level 230: http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/31864979909986157/E39641D9E97D8DE26FB66FA5C98C74E113311A06/

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

https://youtu.be/Y21SxauuppU so there's some kind of quirk with Hans' AI apparently

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I've read some speculation that the "dragon" perk is going revolve around martial arts and katanas. Has there been any confirmation to this, yet?

I'll probably pick this game up when they add some swords. I hope the melee gameplay is like a PvE Chivalry.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

https://youtu.be/Y21SxauuppU so there's some kind of quirk with Hans' AI apparently

Haven't watched many KF2 videos but wow boss fights look terrible. Even without the door cheesing, why does he have so much HP? Jesus thats a lot of hp

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Minorkos posted:

I've read some speculation that the "dragon" perk is going revolve around martial arts and katanas. Has there been any confirmation to this, yet?

Well, from the game files we know it's called Martial Artist so I guess it's about that. Also KF2 site has pics of all the weapons in EA build and Katana has Dragon perk icon so it's Martial Artist weapon.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Minorkos posted:

I'll probably pick this game up when they add some swords. I hope the melee gameplay is like a PvE Chivalry.

The katana is shown with the dragon head on the website

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Minorkos posted:

Those are the 6 other perks. Guessing it's Demolition, Firebug, Gunslinger, Martial Arts, Sharpshooter and SWAT.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Sweet. Katanas are my guilty pleasure in video games. I hope they add that perk by 21st, though I know it's unlikely.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
The katana is already in the game to mess around with, it's just an off-perk weapon at the moment.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Which streamer/youtuber has the best gameplay videos? I don't want to be dick ripping when someone can't figure out they can't buy something because they're over-encumbered or forgetting to buy ammo. I just want to watch someone who has a good grasp of the mechanics. Listening to TB's "have some of that and some of these" or "try this on for size" whenever he points his gun in the general direction of zeds is annoying.

Questioner, if you're cool with answering questions, do you guys play any other horde shooters at the office? Seems like the gold standard is Payday 2 at the moment. Do you guys enjoy it?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Norton posted:

Haven't watched many KF2 videos but wow boss fights look terrible. Even without the door cheesing, why does he have so much HP? Jesus thats a lot of hp

One of Hans' mechanics is that when his HP reaches a critical threshold he becomes invulnerable and chases down a player to heal back to full off of them. He does this three times, like the Patriarch can, but unlike the Patriarch you cannot kill him before he heals three times. In that video the players hit that threshold for the third time very shortly after he gets stuck on the first door, so they basically sit there wasting time accomplishing nothing until Hans breaks down the door and heals off the guy.

Blasting him down with heavy weapons actually gets him to that threshold pretty quickly, but the trick with Hans is you can't just blow your load once and win the fight like you could with the Patriarch. Unfortunately nothing in the game communicates that his HP works this way, so it's basically relying on word of mouth to spread.

Geight fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 12, 2015

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah Hans seems to be designed to be the anti-patriarch. The patriarch you wanted to dump as much damage as you could into him as fast as you could and kill him before he could heal plus he did a poo poo ton of damage , easily one or two shotting players. Hans seems designed around a boss of attrition. His attacks aren't super hard hitting outside of his explosive grenades but they do add up on top of each other and players want to pace how much they drop into him until stage three when they can go to town on him. They just need to tweak his final forms health, his grenade types a bit more obvious, and make his invulnerability more obvious. His final form shouldn't tank so much damage. With Hans it's about getting to the third stage more then pumping as much bullets as you can in him and his health at the final stage should reflect that

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
KF1 AFKing Welding a door with a lone clot alive is less exploit and more "don't want to kill myself", and even then if you are not using crazy trainer servers with self damaging doors it would take probably literal days to just hit one welding requirement in KF1.

Akumos posted:

I also noticed while playing solo that mobs can teleport through walls in rather annoying ways, when you're only like 10-20ft away.. In the video I posted you can see the mob randomly gives up on doors and warps across the map to another door, and this happens all the time when you move around. If you lock a door and run away across the map, mobs will teleport in front of you across the map.

"Anti Welding Exploit" confirmed.

EDIT: vvv Part of the appeal of to me of welding was knowing it will take Zeds that much longer to join the horde, even if that was only a handful of seconds. If a door being out of sight means it may as well not be welded, and it only really works if you are basically staring at it waiting for the monsters to come through like a horror movie victim, eh.

I mean I know welding is still useful. But the examples like "I welded a door, turned to run, and the enemies had just teleported to the other side of me" can easily make it FEEL like a wasted effort.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 12, 2015

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Section Z posted:

"Anti Welding Exploit" confirmed.
Nah, they don't appear to teleport away from behind the door you are currently welding. It's distance and line of sight based.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Akumos posted:

What the gently caress is the best way of dealing with Scrakes and FPs in the beta so far? The good classes/perks for killing them aren't in the game yet really, not sure if zerks can tank them anymore but I'm playing a support and can't seem to kill them quick enough with focus fire.

Unload as a team while they're affected by stun grenades. They can't charge. Easy. And while FPs are starting to enrage they usually pound the ground which is a great time to reapply a stun grenade. You're not supposed to kill them by yourself unless you're actually playing by yourself.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
So yeah, the "welding exploit" is hellishly boring and still super slow, even on HoE, took 15-20 minutes to go from 2 to 3 on support with a clot wailing on one door and unwelding and rewelding an adjacent door. If people want to spend their time doing this then I say let them, their loss.

e: And before anyone says "oh just leave it welding the door being smacked with a macro" it would easily take 5 times as long and you'd (probably) need to keep the game in focus.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 12, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I just wanna thank Alyion ( that's his steam name, not sure of his forum name ) for his extreme generosity in giving me a KF 2 key. Who knew accepting random friend requests would have a happy ending?

Alyion
May 1, 2008

Degreelessness

Skoll posted:

I just wanna thank Alyion ( that's his steam name, not sure of his forum name ) for his extreme generosity in giving me a KF 2 key. Who knew accepting random friend requests would have a happy ending?

Haha - well thank you for being the only one to actually accept my friend request - I swear I wasn't looking for hats guys!

Alyion fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 12, 2015

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
I'm laughing pretty hard at the coy "I'm not going to post it in the thread because I don't want to devs to see" exploit talk.

Mostly because the whole point of beta and early access is to be able to collect analytic data from the games and see stuff like this. Once you start diving into the data exploits like this become pretty obvious. We've stated numerous times (including on the store page) that people should plan on having their stats wiped during early access because players are going to figure out how to exploit any system you give them.

Penpal posted:

Questioner, if you're cool with answering questions, do you guys play any other horde shooters at the office? Seems like the gold standard is Payday 2 at the moment. Do you guys enjoy it?

We have a pretty wide set of tastes in the office so I can't really speak for the rest of the development team. Personally, I have something like 1100 hours in Payday 2, so yeah you could say I enjoy it but I don't play it with my co-workers.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Where is the best place to post feedback about the beta / early access? I know some devs prowl here as well as the Steam forums but would they prefer that I posted on the Tripwire forums instead?

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Fina posted:

Where is the best place to post feedback about the beta / early access? I know some devs prowl here as well as the Steam forums but would they prefer that I posted on the Tripwire forums instead?

Tripwire Forums are the best if you want to get maximum visibility from a wide array of devs. Rest assured that we've got our collective eyes on most of the places where people talk about the game.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Geight posted:

One of Hans' mechanics is that when his HP reaches a critical threshold he becomes invulnerable and chases down a player to heal back to full off of them. He does this three times, like the Patriarch can, but unlike the Patriarch you cannot kill him before he heals three times. In that video the players hit that threshold for the third time very shortly after he gets stuck on the first door, so they basically sit there wasting time accomplishing nothing until Hans breaks down the door and heals off the guy.

Blasting him down with heavy weapons actually gets him to that threshold pretty quickly, but the trick with Hans is you can't just blow your load once and win the fight like you could with the Patriarch. Unfortunately nothing in the game communicates that his HP works this way, so it's basically relying on word of mouth to spread.

Whoa whoa whoa. Hans is invincible while he chases people around after throwing the smoke grenades? Not just the time where he is sucking the life out of people? Cause you can kite him for a pretty long time in some areas with a bit of luck and teamwork when he is like that. And it is a really lovely mechanic itself. The life sucking phase I can understand, but when he is just running around I should be able to still kill him. I bet if everyone didn't fire at him and just let him drain someone, ammo troubles wouldn't be a thing.

Why yes, let us let the players waste all their ammo thinking they are doing damage and being cool by dodging his nigh undodgeable attacks without telling them in any way shape or form that he is invincible. That is supreme poo poo design, and whoever thought that up should be ashamed.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's a problem every forced phased boss has. That's why phased bosses that don't let you skip phases are usually pretty bad. And if they don't let you skip phases they need to make the invulnerable phase transition really obviously invulnerable.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Broose posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Hans is invincible while he chases people around after throwing the smoke grenades? Not just the time where he is sucking the life out of people? Cause you can kite him for a pretty long time in some areas with a bit of luck and teamwork when he is like that. And it is a really lovely mechanic itself. The life sucking phase I can understand, but when he is just running around I should be able to still kill him. I bet if everyone didn't fire at him and just let him drain someone, ammo troubles wouldn't be a thing.

Why yes, let us let the players waste all their ammo thinking they are doing damage and being cool by dodging his nigh undodgeable attacks without telling them in any way shape or form that he is invincible. That is supreme poo poo design, and whoever thought that up should be ashamed.

While I doubt you CAN parry the drain (or anything Hans can do), I am now imagining a Pro Zerker locked in an eternal parry stalemate with godmode Hans. Knowing the futility of his actions, but too proud to let himself get grabbed. His off perk hanzo steel demanding he uphold his E bushido.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Hans should look Übercharged when invicible.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Alyion posted:

Haha - well thank you for being the only one to actually accept my friend request - I swear I wasn't looking for hats guys!

At least you're not one of them phishbots that seem to plague my invites nowadays.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The most frustrating aspect of Hans is if you're the sole surviving squad member and it isn't the final phase you're going to get your life sucked out of you no matter what. So you have to position yourself well for it because if you don't he'll suck your blood then almost immediately after toss gas or explosive grenades at you. So you need a door or something to close in his face when he does it.

That said the only times I've died outright to his gas grenades are due to the blinding effect screwing up where I was going or because my teammates welded doors shut trapping me.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I asked Doot to make a KF channel in CTS so goons can play together.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Broose posted:

Or you know, it could have been an oversight and they didn't expect people to be dodging the attacks and kiting him. This is kind of what the early access is for, dude.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The other very big problem is that, according to Commando health bar, he heals to full health after each drain. So unless his health bar automatically scales and adjust to damage, all the damage that you inflicted in between the time he yells that he's going to feed off someone and then actually drains a dude has been inconsequential (unless you're actually able to avoid the drains, which I've only seen happen when he's stuck on a welded door) and simply a waste of ammo.

So not only does he have an invulnerable state, he has a window of time that makes any further damage completely meaningless to him.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I wanted to give them them the benefit of the doubt that they knew what was going on, and not just trash at their own game like almost every other dev.

Someone during a meeting or email or whatever goes on there, should have gone, "uhh, that doesn't seem quite right to do. This guy's grab isn't a sure thing the second he throws smoke. Maybe we shouldn't make him invincible between the smoke throw and grab?" I mean, even just straight running away you can pour a lot of ammo into him still. Someone would have noticed I hope.

But of course this is basically going on one post that says he is invincible during the time and hell if I know if that is completely true since Hans takes and dishes out absurd amounts of damage which makes confirming it pretty hard to do with a low level commando.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dogstile posted:

Or you know, it could have been an oversight and they didn't expect people to be dodging the attacks and kiting him. This is kind of what the early access is for, dude.

I'll grant you actively kiting for ten minutes when in a situation you would not have to. But not expecting players to want to avoid getting hit? Not so much, even if it didn't heal the boss to get hit by them, who wants to actually get hit if they can help it?

Or is wanting to avoid getting nearly killed to heal the boss, dumber than going "Well okay I guess I'll just stand here and let him grab me" ?

This subject aside, I'm glad to have been seeing and reading that this seems to basically be the one "big" issue of note.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 12, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Skoll posted:

I asked Doot to make a KF channel in CTS so goons can play together.

I shudder to think what the monthly upkeep for CTS must be.

Unrelated, I have been bouncing between playing KF1 and watching streams and continue to be utterly amazed at how much better the graphics have gotten. KF1 wasn't -awful- by indie game standards, but KF2 looks downright beautiful now

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Section Z posted:

This subject aside, I'm glad to have been seeing and reading that this seems to basically be the one "big" issue of note.

It pretty much is. Everything is pretty great. The aiming system is tight like KF1 and CoD4 and not floaty like Battlefield. They could stand to put a sensitivity slider for ADS so I could use it without getting myself killed. The animations are so good I look forward to zed time so I can admire them. I really like it when scrakes come near. They make stomping noises and love to point their targets out. They are by far my favorite enemy now, they have a surprising amount of character for something that just yells and guts you with a chainsaw.

I have an i5, 7870 HD, and 8 gigs of ram. I can set everything to ultra and still get 60 frames and it looks awesome. I really like the reflections.

Edit: Also, cutting up monster corpses during buy time like it is soldier of fortune with less entrails.

Broose fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 12, 2015

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Do we know if there are any plans to include a whitelist for maps that you can level on like KF1 had for a while?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I had 30 HP when the boss grabbed me in the middle of a gas cloud. I died instantly and he healed to full health.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Broose posted:

I wanted to give them them the benefit of the doubt that they knew what was going on, and not just trash at their own game like almost every other dev.

It's literally one thing that can be changed by adjusting numbers for one boss I don't think it means the devs are trash calm down

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 13, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Broose posted:

Edit: Also, cutting up monster corpses during buy time like it is soldier of fortune with less entrails.

Yeah I never played much zerker cause I am a huge baby wuss man who prefers "close combat" to mean "convenient for a viddy game shotgun". But this Mortal Kombat As A Child Imagined MEAT system means I'm gonna want to take a stab it (:haw:)

I thought the nailgun was cool and fun in KF1 even though it was more effective to stick with actual shotguns, well not counting the combat shotgun. So I hope it gets enough love that you can want to use it as an alternative to the rest of the Zerker perk weapons JUST BECAUSE.

You treat her right, you hear me you loving pro zerkers! :argh: :qq: You hate crawlers? Nail em to the floor and get a headshot on some gorefast from the ricochet! On that note does it still work like a shotgun, or is it like a Quake style "It's an SMG but we just say it uses nails". I can't find any KF2 nailgun footage offhand skimming through various videos selected at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Section Z posted:

While I doubt you CAN parry the drain (or anything Hans can do), I am now imagining a Pro Zerker locked in an eternal parry stalemate with godmode Hans. Knowing the futility of his actions, but too proud to let himself get grabbed. His off perk hanzo steel demanding he uphold his E bushido.

The main problem with zerking Hans is that a lot of times he just pulls out his guns even with a zerker on top of him and he just melts the zerker instantly, don't know if bug or intended.

Hans feels overtuned right now, tough the first time but you could kill him, now he's drat near impossible.

• Locked thread