Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I watched the gameplay video at GiantBomb and the live video thing is pretty cool. If you play good, crowd and band mates cheer. If you suck, they start booing and/or giving you funny looks. If you really suck, the note highway disappears..... and then reappears after a few seconds.

No idea how you're supposed to see which of the parallel buttons you're supposed to press. Maybe it wasn't in the song?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Merijn posted:

Six buttons

With the 6 buttons in 2 rows over top each other they're definitely trying to make it as casual as possible. That's going to be much easier than using all fingers the 5-in-a-row required.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Being a drums and vocals guy, I have to say, the new GH is just a simple curiosity for me.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The real story starts at 2:30 in that video. "Live" sounds like a dumb Twitch gimmick but "TV" actually sounds interesting. If it's really like tuning into a music video channel and just playing a game on top of it, that's cool and different. They seem to be taking the whole thing in a completely different direction than Rock Band and it's the right move.

They really should have led with that, instead of the weird crowd thing. It came off as the same type of "double down on a random feature" approach that they took with GH6 and I was ready to laugh at it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
They might be able to convince me to buy new instruments because hey, new console, but that note and button layout can gently caress right off

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eta9SoKaHwY

It's a loving SegaCD-esque FMV game in 2015. What. Gameplay looks okay, but I can't get over how weird it looks

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Merijn posted:

No idea how you're supposed to see which of the parallel buttons you're supposed to press. Maybe it wasn't in the song?
White notes are bottom row, blacks are top.

... and yeah, I'm a bass guy (and keys :v:) and guitar is the instrument I'm least interested in in the Rock Band lineup, so, eh. Plus, really not a fan of this whole blatantly tailored to a market segment YOU ARE SUCH A STAR BRO thing they've got going on.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Kotaku has an article up, and has a bit more info as to what GHTV is:

quote:

Its major innovation is this thing called Guitar Hero TV, which is essentially a playable music video network where you can drop in and out of different genre-themed channels and join people across the world in playing whatever’s on whilst the relevant music video plays in the background. It’s like Just Dance’s World Dance Floor mode.
http://kotaku.com/guitar-hero-is-back-and-i-really-like-what-ive-seen-1697475970

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Minidust posted:

The real story starts at 2:30 in that video. "Live" sounds like a dumb Twitch gimmick but "TV" actually sounds interesting. If it's really like tuning into a music video channel and just playing a game on top of it, that's cool and different. They seem to be taking the whole thing in a completely different direction than Rock Band and it's the right move.

They really should have led with that, instead of the weird crowd thing. It came off as the same type of "double down on a random feature" approach that they took with GH6 and I was ready to laugh at it.

Yeah the TV music channel thing sounds ideal for parties or something; leave it kicking out sweet jams, and if anyone feels like playing then hop on and off you go.

I like the idea of the live performance thing, with the crowds and stuff reacting to your playing, it does sound interesting and immersive. However I fear it'll get reduced to a tired gimmick and everyone will just start noticing the same people in the same position, loop points, same reactions, etc. Basically spot the man behind the curtain, and the illusion of playing to a live audience will be ruined.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
We need a Dirk the Daring character.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

smokyprogg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eta9SoKaHwY

It's a loving SegaCD-esque FMV game in 2015. What. Gameplay looks okay, but I can't get over how weird it looks

Wow, they're really goign to release it on Xbox 360/One, PS3/4 and Wii U. And somewhere it mentioned a mobile version as well.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Merijn posted:

Wow, they're really goign to release it on Xbox 360/One, PS3/4 and Wii U. And somewhere it mentioned a mobile version as well.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Merijn posted:

From gameinformer's article:

quote:

The mobile version of Guitar Hero Live claims to deliver the full console experience to select devices, allowing players to play along wherever they have their device.
When you are toting the "full console experience" on mobile, that never bodes well for the console version. Hoping that's just an exaggeration for the press release's sake.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Well... the button rows set it apart. And deciding to (apparently) jettison every other instrument frees their song options up a ton. Probably also saving a boatload on the much lower number of patents to pay Harmonix royalties on.

But... FMV? And you health meter is strawberry eye jam? And, you know, scrapping their entire library of charts and data for the new layout?

Well, props for really rolling the dice with something different. There won't be any confusing them with Rock Band or Rocksmith, that's for sure.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

KiddieGrinder posted:

I like the idea of the live performance thing, with the crowds and stuff reacting to your playing, it does sound interesting and immersive. However I fear it'll get reduced to a tired gimmick and everyone will just start noticing the same people in the same position, loop points, same reactions, etc. Basically spot the man behind the curtain, and the illusion of playing to a live audience will be ruined.

I think their target audience isn't so much the hardcore music gamer who plays the game every week, it's people who play it for a month and then stop forever, maybe busting it out at parties. It's harder for that audience to get sick of the canned FMVs, and that audience will ALSO eat up the actual-music-video stuff. I think they're going to make a mint off of the 360/PS3/mobile base.

As someone pointed out before release, the note highway/etc. really does invoke Beatmania a little bit.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Yeah, no thanks. I'm not even sold on buying a new console, let alone new instruments. And the live action poo poo is lame. *I'M* supposed to be the one fake-ily flailing around with an instrument, not some douchebags on the screen...

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

With that new guitar and Harmonix's desire to maintain legacy DLC and instruments, it's very likely that neither game's instruments (or at least the guitars) will be cross compatible like they used to be. I hope whoever buys both games enjoys having even more plastic instruments cluttering up their living room. :haw:

I also wonder what all the Score Hero obsessed people think about the new casual friendly guitar. I imagine they must be blowing their lids right now. "Goddamn casuals ruinin' our perfect and deep game :bahgawd:"

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Oh, and if the "TV" mode doesn't use stems (which it looks like it might not), that gives them a MUCH bigger song library to play with. As they start dropping big names that RB can't get because of stems, it will be harder to defend RB to your average person who doesn't know or care about stems.

I'd love to play a demo of this. Right now I'm kind of "meh" overall, because I prefer the band experience, but I'm still a music game junkie at heart. If it doesn't play like poo poo I'd consider it.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
So if Guitar Hero Love is billing The War on Drugs as one of its marquee bands... Rock Band gets Sun Kil Moon now right?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

pksage posted:

Oh, and if the "TV" mode doesn't use stems (which it looks like it might not), that gives them a MUCH bigger song library to play with. As they start dropping big names that RB can't get because of stems, it will be harder to defend RB to your average person who doesn't know or care about stems.

Not to derail but "stems" are just the long notes right? If so why does that make a difference with their music licensing?

Edward IV posted:

I also wonder what all the Score Hero obsessed people think about the new casual friendly guitar. I imagine they must be blowing their lids right now. "Goddamn casuals ruinin' our perfect and deep game :bahgawd:"

And I'm not sure how casual friendly it is exactly to be honest, considering it does have six buttons. I think the three lane highway gives a false sense that it's easier, but it isn't. I'm sure on expert it'll still be difficult enough for the try hards to master.

Even on earlier games, on easy difficulty you used only three buttons right? So if anything it's stayed the same at least, and at most gotten harder with an extra button.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

KiddieGrinder posted:

Not to derail but "stems" are just the long notes right? If so why does that make a difference with their music licensing?

Stems = "master tracks" = the separate music files for guitar, bass, drums, etc. that make it possible for Rock Band to mute a track when you miss a note.

Lots of bands either don't have their master tracks anymore or refuse to license them out, making it near-impossible to get them in Rock Band. Custom songs like we release at C3 usually don't have stems, so the music doesn't drop out when you miss a note, but it lets us provide a broader variety of songs. farottone did a poll a while back on this topic, and a lot of our users actually preferred that the music NOT drop out.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

pksage posted:

Stems = "master tracks"

Ah thank you, makes sense. :eng101:

Then yeah I bet that would open up a lot of options for music.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Edward IV posted:

With that new guitar and Harmonix's desire to maintain legacy DLC and instruments, it's very likely that neither game's instruments (or at least the guitars) will be cross compatible like they used to be. I hope whoever buys both games enjoys having even more plastic instruments cluttering up their living room. :haw:

This doesn't mean anything for the future of Rock Band instruments. As Gaspar Lewis points out, it means Activision didn't want to pay patent royalties to Harmonix any more. Hardware licensing might still be the stumbling block but there's no way Rock Band's note layout isn't the same.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, not as many patent licensing fees. The note highway is still 3D/approaching the player at any rate. Then again if the flattened it they might have to pay Konami.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ElwoodCuse posted:

This doesn't mean anything for the future of Rock Band instruments. As Gaspar Lewis points out, it means Activision didn't want to pay patent royalties to Harmonix any more. Hardware licensing might still be the stumbling block but there's no way Rock Band's note layout isn't the same.
I think he just means that you won't be able use a Guitar Hero controller to play a Rock Band game (and vice versa) anymore.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
They should have just teamed up with omegle and had the game randomly assign you actual viewers from a pool and then you'd have to try your best to play the latest Maroon 5 song while some guy waves his dick in your face.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
The GHTV thing is interesting to me and a new button layout. For someone who doesn't have a ton of time to play it's appealing.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Edward IV posted:

As the local scorehero obsessed person, the reaction to the guitar is mostly "that's interesting, want to see what they can do with two lanes" with a bit of "too simple, don't care." The lid-blowing is from everything else about the game (SKRILLLLEXXXXXXXX??????!? is coming up a lot, as SH only wants Dream Theatre-esque prog rock for the most part). The sentiment as a whole is more or less being sold on RB4 from what I've gathered.

A few of people were defending the game prior to today by hyping up FreeStyleGames developing, but they seem to have fallen silent for the most part.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 14, 2015

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I like the concept of the new button layout and would love to try it.

Still not sold on the game though until I see how the song list, how DLC will work, and pricing.

Edit: I hope you can skip that unbearably long intro to the FMV crowd stuff. 1:15 just to get into a song? No thanks.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

ElwoodCuse posted:

They might be able to convince me to buy new instruments because hey, new console, but that note and button layout can gently caress right off

Basically my feelings, I feel like the classic layout just loving works. I'll probably give this one a skip, God knows I should be practicing my actual guitar-playing anyway.
Not that I cared about it at all but I guess there's also zero character customisation or outfits/custom guitars to unlock. Not blown away to be honest, don't even have a next-gen console yet anyway.
Also sounds like "When You Were Young" returns once again, which is fair, I like some Killers stuff but I've heard it before, also not really into Fall Out Boy.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

initial new ideas are alright but lol at the loving awful preliminary artists they listed. what's going to make or break this is the tracklist and Guitar Hero is already losing that battle against the entire past library being brought back to RB4.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

sout posted:

don't even have a next-gen console yet anyway.

That's the thing, this is also for 360/PS3/Wii U/mobile. I really think they're gonna be successful on this fact alone. Obviously Harmonix has better market metrics than I do, but anecdotally, I know a lot of people have been sitting on the decision to buy an XB1/PS4.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Gaspar Lewis posted:

So if Guitar Hero Love is billing The War on Drugs as one of its marquee bands... Rock Band gets Sun Kil Moon now right?

if Red Eyes ends up as a Guitar Hero exclusive I will burn Activision to the ground

(unless RB gets An Ocean In Between The Waves)

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Interesting to note that, if I'm not mistaken, they are boasting a total of 1 "classic" rock band (The Rolling Stones), so the demo is pretty clear. I have to say one thing about the gameplay: am I the only one who finds it a bit "empty"?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

pksage posted:

That's the thing, this is also for 360/PS3/Wii U/mobile. I really think they're gonna be successful on this fact alone. Obviously Harmonix has better market metrics than I do, but anecdotally, I know a lot of people have been sitting on the decision to buy an XB1/PS4.

Huh, did not realise this. I wonder if the controller will at least work across the consoles or have different versions like with the PS3/Xbox/Wii

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
If the game is first person, could they combine it with VR headsets? Is that technically feasible with live action?

That'd be a pretty cool selling point I imagine.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
They're using the Star Trek font (or at least something heavily inspired) for the logo? LOL.

As long as they don't completely ruin the market like they did the last time Activision/GH can do what they want I suppose.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Spalec posted:

If the game is first person, could they combine it with VR headsets? Is that technically feasible with live action?

That'd be a pretty cool selling point I imagine.

I think it's possible, they'd have to film everything with 360 camera setups and it might not be as seamless as with rendered VR, this is if people would be willing to buy two add-ons to play a rhythm game though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

farottone posted:

Interesting to note that, if I'm not mistaken, they are boasting a total of 1 "classic" rock band (The Rolling Stones), so the demo is pretty clear. I have to say one thing about the gameplay: am I the only one who finds it a bit "empty"?

Like I said in the PS4 thread, I don't play plastic guitar to feel like a real guitar, I play it for a good rhythm game, which this doesn't seem like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For VR I'd imagine they'd have to record stuff in a 360° view all around, for any level of performance they've accounted for, and with enough variety so it's not blatantly the same clips playing across all the songs. Mostly a question of budget, recording technology and disc space, but infinitely easier to do in CG graphics.

From a technical standpoint I'd be interested to know how they manage transitions between crowd states without creating the impression of jump cuts. Most likely whenever the reaction level changes, the POV moves towards another element. The crowd cheers, you gently caress up the solo, you look towards the singer who gives you the finger and then back to the crowd who are now throwing cups, and so on.

farottone posted:

Interesting to note that, if I'm not mistaken, they are boasting a total of 1 "classic" rock band (The Rolling Stones), so the demo is pretty clear.
Yeah I hardly recognized any band names. Not even from watching Never Mind The Buzzcocks. Only one apart from Stones and Killers was Skrillex, which, with a guitar, uhm...

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 14, 2015