Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swarm
Aug 18, 2014

by XyloJW

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

There hasn't been any news but here is an old picture I found I took at the Lights in the Sky tour in LA

edit: here is the rest of the album https://www.flickr.com/photos/stickfiguremafia/sets/72157607161670812/

Ahahah Jesus, what a face.
That was such an awesome tour though. I still automatically picture those live visuals in my head when I listen to certain tracks off YZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Dr Tran posted:

What time did you get in line to get rail?

Bright and early in the morning. We almost lost our spot in line due to the ineptitude of the staff at the forum (they wanted to split the line in two or something dumb. People were ready to riot after waiting eight hours for a spot in line).

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
hahahahah oh T rez

Jacquismo
Dec 1, 2003
~~HEY GUYS I'M ON THE RHINOCEROS I MEAN INTERNET~~
Thanks for reminding me that there is still no further news on a Tension tour DVD. :emo:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Did you get your tickets through the NIN fan preorder thing?

Awesome photos. I was at the Forum that night too. I think I got there about 40 minutes before the first act went up. The staff at the forum had a separate line for the people who bought tickets through the website; we managed to skip the entire line and get a spot on the rail. I think I still have my old ticket stub somewhere, since it came with my name written on it.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Symetrique posted:

Did you get your tickets through the NIN fan preorder thing?

I did and chose seats. Got stuck to the side of the stage with barely any view of the visuals.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
just make another ghosts album already everyone grew out of the lovely lyrics but the music is still good JUST loving DO IT ALREADY

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I kind of feel like the soundtrack work has taken over for the Ghosts series. But he's been kind of quiet for a while now...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The Singing Chav posted:

I kind of feel like the soundtrack work has taken over for the Ghosts series. But he's been kind of quiet for a while now...

TR has been working with Dre and others at Apple building the new music player/beats service for iphones/ipads.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Reznor is working on new music. How do I know this? Because I'm not stupid.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's so weird that we live in an age where Trent Reznor not announcing a new album in like half a year makes people worried.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Mr. Unlucky posted:

just make another ghosts album already everyone grew out of the lovely lyrics but the music is still good JUST loving DO IT ALREADY

His lyrics can be all over the place but I really like Reznor's singing voice for whatever reason.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Having had time to sit on it a good long while I ended up liking Welcome Oblivion more than Hesitation Marks. Neither are all that great but WO has like 3 really good songs to HM's 1.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

TR has been working with Dre and others at Apple building the new music player/beats service for iphones/ipads.

Yeah but that's a stupid money pit and not cool noise so I don't give a gently caress about it. :colbert:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hesitation Marks is probably my second favorite NIN album.

Carnage
Sep 27, 2002

axleblaze posted:

It's so weird that we live in an age where Trent Reznor not announcing a new album in like half a year makes people worried.

A friend of mine asked me something along the lines of "No new music from NIN/TR? I haven't heard you talk about him in a bit."

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

TOOT BOOT posted:

Having had time to sit on it a good long while I ended up liking Welcome Oblivion more than Hesitation Marks. Neither are all that great but WO has like 3 really good songs to HM's 1.

WO has like 7 good tracks for me while HM only has 6 but they're both excellent albums with a very different focus, which being released only 6 months apart is really impressive musically and I'd rather get more HtdA at this point instead of more NIN.

I agree though that his soundtrack work has taken the place of any more ghost albums, but that's not really a bad thing.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I think I prefer the style of HTDA as well. I really liked HM, but HTDA just has a more interesting sound.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

My problem with Welcome Oblivion is that soundwise it's ultimately kind of samey and towards the end the album just completely fizzles out. I literally can't remember a single thing that happens on that album after We Fade Away, which would've been a really good closer.

I'm happy I got the normal CD album that doesn't have the bonus tracks, I probably wouldn't like the album nearly as much as I do if it had even more stuff on it. It's already too long as-is.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 16, 2015

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

My problem with Welcome Oblivion is that soundwise it's ultimately kind of samey and towards the end the album just completely fizzles out. I literally can't remember a single thing that happens on that album after We Fade Away, which would've been a really good closer.
Funnily enough I had Welcome Oblivion on my car CD the last day or so and I agree completely with what you said. It is pretty unmemorable.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Welcome oblivion never sounded like a project made by people having fun, it sounds like an obligation.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

echronorian posted:

Welcome oblivion never sounded like a project made by people having fun, it sounds like an obligation.

On that note, does any of the stuff he does give the idea that the band was having fun in the studio or during recording? What would "Nine Inch Nails loving around in the studio" actually sound like?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

hatelull posted:

On that note, does any of the stuff he does give the idea that the band was having fun in the studio or during recording? What would "Nine Inch Nails loving around in the studio" actually sound like?

With Teeth. And parts of The Slip. Basically the less-good stuff.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

With Teeth. And parts of The Slip. Basically the less-good stuff.

See, those are both excellent IMO

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I lost all those live at rehearsal tracks. Were they up on remix.nin.com or torrents?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hatelull posted:

I got the impression that most of Hesitation Marks was made by TR and various guests loving around in the studio and then the results being edited down into songs. Some of them like All Time Low still sound quite "jammy". Works pretty well imo

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Ghosts was him messing around in the studio

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

Ghosts was him messing around in the studio

Yeah him and a lot of other people, also one of his best records IMO

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why would you be a NIN fan if your criteria for a good album is that it sounds line the artist had fun making it?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

axleblaze posted:

Why would you be a NIN fan if your criteria for a good album is that it sounds line the artist had fun making it?

Yeah this.

TDS/Fragile doesn't sound like it was fun... like at all and they're easily his best work.

WO felt like it was his main soundtrack and NIN collaborators taking charge and him and his wife doing the singing, lyrics, and a bit of the fill in parts.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He said in interviews HM is him sitting in front of Ableton with a midi controller and a bunch of songs happening.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

axleblaze posted:

ya im sure Reznor had no fun being loud and having a huge fanbase as an angry mid twenties male

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

echronorian posted:

ya im sure Reznor had no fun being loud and having a huge fanbase as an angry mid twenties male

That's not really related to how fun his albums were to make. Hell there are songs from the fragile era he doesn't like playing because he doesn't like being reminded of those times. I mean if we're talking about how his life is he seems happier now and to be having a better time making music than he ever did in the 90s.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

hatelull posted:

There's actually a lot of miscellaneous collaboration and loving around on The Fragile. They had this whole system where Trent hired a bunch of guys like Keith Hillebrandt and Charlie Clouser to work in a B-Studio and do nothing but make cool rhythmic loops and drones, which they'd then be free to use. There's also a lot of weird guest musicians, where they'd call in someone and just have them jam all over the tracks with some direction, and then decide whether to use it or not. There's a bunch of Adrian Belew and Mike Garson on the record as the most obvious ones, but there's actually a ton of guest stuff, including stuff that simply didn't make it onto the album.

They did some of that stuff for TDS as well, I forget who it was, but one guy would listen to TV movies with the picture off and just sample anything that sounded cool texturally, which is where the stuff like the Texas Chainsaw sample in Reptile or the Godfather sample in... Ruiner? Piggy? - come from or the THX sample at the beginning of Mr. Self-Destruct.

I was completely obsessed with NIN studio stories when I was a teenager, I know a stupid amount about how those records were made.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 17, 2015

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Periodiko posted:

They did some of that stuff for TDS as well, I forget who it was, but one guy would listen to TV movies with the picture off and just sample anything that sounded cool texturally, which is where the stuff like the Texas Chainsaw sample in Reptile or the Godfather sample in... Ruiner? Piggy? - come from or the THX sample at the beginning of Mr. Self-Destruct.

I was completely obsessed with NIN studio stories when I was a teenager, I know a stupid amount about how those records were made.

It was Chris Vrenna. You're spot on with your post though. I was the same way as a teen.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Wow it is almost as though people have different preferences on what is good music or something.

(Best to worst imo: Hesitation Marks, Year Zero, HTDA stuff, Ghosts, Fragile, everything else. Now someone else post theirs!)

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think the only thing I don't totally love is HTDA but I like that quite a bit too. My love of T Rez hasn't been about loving NIN since the mid 90s, I just like the dude period really.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

pwnyXpress posted:

Wow it is almost as though people have different preferences on what is good music or something.

(Best to worst imo: Hesitation Marks, Year Zero, HTDA stuff, Ghosts, Fragile, everything else. Now someone else post theirs!)

Hesitation Marks, Fragile, Year Zero, PHM, Ghosts, HTDA, other stuff. Still love it all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Through Twitter the other day, I somehow found this NIN fan podcast that I never knew existed called Underneath It All. It's a bit dated by now (starting when Hesitation Marks came out), but still somewhat interesting to listen to retrospectively. They have one episode that's like an hour long interview with Richard Patrick about his beginnings in NIN and Filter and stuff. I listened to that one this morning and it was pretty interesting. Check it out if you want to know a little bit more about the origins of NIN/the PHM era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Not NIN but Saul Williams is apparently touring again and has a new album coming out in July.

I caught him touring Volcanic Sunlight and it was a great show.

http://www.stereogum.com/1795994/saul-williams-burundi-feat-warpaints-emily-kokal/mp3s/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 26, 2015