Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
He was also on Spin City for like the whole show, which was a pretty huge show for a few years.

movax posted:

Haha goddamn, that's exactly where I know him from but I still for some reason though he was in everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Spoeank posted:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0300040/

Quick scan tells me he was the recurring junkie on Scrubs and almost nothing else.

Holy poo poo. That's been killing me.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Were all those stats from the "data-geddon" speech true?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yep, I'm hoarding megabytes for the eventual collapse of dataciety as we know it.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Spoeank posted:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0300040/

Quick scan tells me he was the recurring junkie on Scrubs and almost nothing else.

awesome, thanks

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

I thought the episode was great but also kind of sad that the actor that played Peter Gregory passed away.

King Vidiot posted:

I'd imagine that Judge wrote the entire season before Christopher Welch died, and he didn't want to do massive rewrites and make her into a completely different character.

You people do realise that he died halfway through filming season one; five months before the pilot even aired, right?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

no, but they were close

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130522085217.htm

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

That NSA datacenter out west is a strategic asset they'll eventually monetize. They won't just be storing our dick pics, we'll be PAYING them to store our dick pics and keep them "secure."

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

I knew the stat sounded familiar, but I couldn't remember why. And hey, that article is from two years ago. Maybe now it's closer to 97% or whatever they said in the show. :v:

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
I don't know a lot about venture capital. Is "accept a reasonable valuation, even if you have higher offers" a valid and/or widely accepted concept? Are unrealistic valuations really as predatory as the episode made them seem?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Tibeerius posted:

I don't know a lot about venture capital. Is "accept a reasonable valuation, even if you have higher offers" a valid and/or widely accepted concept? Are unrealistic valuations really as predatory as the episode made them seem?

I think it's safe to assume that 90% of all things regarding venture capital can just be labelled as "predatory" in some way.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's fine from a character level, but going for a lower valuation doesn't really fit with the rest of the plot or what little I know about tech startup VC funding. Pied Piper is either going to be a huge player in cloud storage – justifying a $100 million valuation – or it's going to get obliterated by Nucleus – so they'd fail to meet expectations anyways. There doesn't seem to be room for a middling success here, and from what I understand this is common for web/app/etc. startups.

Not that this is a problem with the show at all. It's a comedy. It being a fairly-dull excuse to give that VC associate something to do isn't great, but whatever.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
It would probably not be looked upon highly. A lot of VCs will ask founders looking for early money if they would take 100 million to sell right now. It's a trick question - if you say yes then you don't have the 'passion' it will take to succeed and 'change the world' and they'll probably pass on you.

The joke is that virtually everyone would take a guaranteed 30-50 million. That's gently caress You money. But everyone knows you aren't supposed to say yes, so it's not a very useful question beyond determining if you are inside the group. And for all their talk of disruption, if you don't walk and talk like every other awkward white male you are going to be in for a tough time.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

ultramiraculous posted:

Maybe I've just been around too many semi-autists, but she definitely came off as being a different flavor of autistic to me. While kinda similar to Peter Gregory, she was hailing from a different part of the spectrum.

My thoughts exactly. Other than "being weird", the only thing the two characters had in common was their inability to maintain eye contact with people they were not comfortable with. I went into the episode with the lowest expectations from that character, but I ended up really liking her.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

xcore posted:

You people do realise that he died halfway through filming season one; five months before the pilot even aired, right?

You do realise that show creators will often write more than just a single season's worth of scripts at a time, right? I didn't know when Welch died but I'd bet that Mike Judge had already planned on what direction he was going to take the plot in and/or had rough drafts written even before the first season had wrapped.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
My problem with the new VC woman was that I did not think she was a Peter Gregory clone (and I don't think it's very credible that she was simply swapped in to scripts already written for Peter Gregory), but she's similar enough that whenever she was talking I was distracted by evaluating whether she was in fact too similar.

Also, the actress looked familiar, but her only credit on IMDB that rang a bell for me was the Yada Yada woman on Seinfeld.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Cinara posted:

For anyone that doesn't listen to the Comedy Bang Bang postcast, three of guys from Silicon Valley were on it back at March 30th and it is AMAZING. Tomas Middleditch is hilarious, I would have never thought of him as being so funny but drat.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/a-silicon-valley-p-cast/

Also, if you haven't seen it, watch TJ Miller https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6jsjTVeJYk poo poo all over the Crunchies. They hired him to host a Silicon Valley Awards Ceremony but didn't realize that the show is actually mocking them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

red19fire posted:

Also, if you haven't seen it, watch TJ Miller https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6jsjTVeJYk poo poo all over the Crunchies. They hired him to host a Silicon Valley Awards Ceremony but didn't realize that the show is actually mocking them.

Even funnier is how the whole tech media had a meltdown over the evil TJ Miller's politically incorrect jokes.

My favorite line was, "And this is why you will never be loved like LA"

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Cinara posted:

For anyone that doesn't listen to the Comedy Bang Bang postcast, three of guys from Silicon Valley were on it back at March 30th and it is AMAZING. Tomas Middleditch is hilarious, I would have never thought of him as being so funny but drat.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/a-silicon-valley-p-cast/

Middleditch is pretty hilarious when he was in Jake and Amir videos on College Humor. Look up Doobs I think it's called

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

etalian posted:

Even funnier is how the whole tech media had a meltdown over the evil TJ Miller's politically incorrect jokes.

My favorite line was, "And this is why you will never be loved like LA"

lol, I just ffwd through that and went to 3:20:00 and he's all "I hosed my way to Yogi Bear 3D"

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

This show is a lot better when the joke to plot ratio is higher. The plot just feels like entourage "vinny can't make the movie, oh wait now he can" every ep.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

red19fire posted:

LMAO, skip to 2:10, new slogans: "Spotify: You don't pay anything, because we don't pay anyone. Lyft: We get it, you're not rich enough to afford Uber."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

LMAO, skip to 2:10, new slogans: "Spotify: You don't pay anything, because we don't pay anyone. Lyft: We get it, you're not rich enough to afford Uber."

This is another good interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW49cy61PM4

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
"you called me a chode-gargling gently caress toilet"

wow, poo poo's rolling downhill

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

:laffo: Gilfoyle pledging

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

It's sexist, but it's about friendship! :iamafag:

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
RANDOM LIVE MARIACHI END

Kinda surprised this one didn't end with another rap track, but I'll take it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

red19fire posted:

This is loving brutal , jesus christ. It's just awkard through out. Especially when he comes out and apologizes to the Tnder people. Now he's making fun of someone who brough a dog.

Barkbox

" It's like white people ejaculated on white people"

" Uber , thanks for not providing health insurance, Airbnb great design despite the people being literally raped and hosed"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6jsjTVeJYk&t=11643s

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 20, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hollismason posted:

This is loving brutal , jesus christ. It's just awkard through out. Especially when he comes out and apologizes to the Tnder people. Now he's making fun of someone who brough a dog.

Barkbox

" It's like white people ejaculated on white people"

" Uber , thanks for not providing health insurance, Airbnb great design despite the people being literally raped and hosed"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6jsjTVeJYk&t=11643s

Naturally he didn't get the job next year for some reason.

He's the master of acidic juvenalian humor, "You rented out the one of the most beautiful buildings in SF, just to give yourselves awards"

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
You know what they say, bros disclose.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Veep was lacking in creative compound insults tonight, so I'm really happy we got "poo poo-filled anal wasteland" and "chode-gargling fucktoilet" out of this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
" In Finnish bro means a baby's erection"

" In Urdu Bro means one who beheads the messiah"

The entire bro scene is amazing.

It's so juvenile but so funny.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Man that brain raping thing was sooooo scummy. What a time to be alive. Really.

Also, wtf. That entire Kickstarter plot point seemed so out of place and unnatural. At least the first scene when Kumail first brought up donating 5000.

e; what happened to Yelp? I tried googling things like a copyright infringement case, but found nothing. Was Yelp an idea ripped from someone else?

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 20, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I lolled pretty good at someone's kickstarter getting funded by a close friend or family member sitting out until the last minute and then donating exactly as much as required to prevent an embarrassing failure. I wonder how many times that has happened?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This show is so loving excellent.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Grump posted:

Man that brain raping thing was sooooo scummy. What a time to be alive. Really.

The brain raping thing was the worst. It was so obvious what was going to happen, and I was all but yelling at the TV to try to get Richard to STOP WRITING DAMMIT.

withak posted:

I lolled pretty good at someone's kickstarter getting funded by a close friend or family member sitting out until the last minute and then donating exactly as much as required to prevent an embarrassing failure. I wonder how many times that has happened?

Spike Lee's Kickstarter was mostly funded by his rich buddies once it didn't catch on.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I liked Jared's reaction to Dinesh explaining what makes him the cool cousin.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Timett posted:

That was such a cool moment, he's seriously a great actor.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Grump posted:

Also, wtf. That entire Kickstarter plot point seemed so out of place and unnatural. At least the first scene when Kumail first brought up donating 5000.

It seems pretty clear they're going to end up funding Pied Piper with kickstarter.

Rewards Tier 1 ($500,000) Erlich jerks off every guy in this room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Timett posted:

I like Jared's reaction to everything.

• Locked thread