Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Ultimately what really bothers me is that they made a huge deal out of announcing the return (Lynch and Frost) seemingly without actually inking the final contract. Why announce the return of the show without everything absolutely finalized? Especially for a beloved show that's been off the air for 25 years, it's just a heartbreaker.

I bet Mark Frost is incredibly pissed about all of this - from Lynch backing out after the official announcement to all of the fans saying that Peaks isn't Peaks if Lynch isn't involved. While I don't disagree and do think that Lynch directing all of the episodes was the most exciting part of the return, I feel bad for Frost here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/twin-peaks-david-lynch-showtime-1201469031/

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Kind of confirmation on what we assume is going on here:
http://www.vulture.com/2015/04/showtime-twin-peaks-david-lynch-fallout.html?mid=twitter_vulture

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, for any fellow Canadians using Bell for TV, Twin Peaks is now on CraveTV (I don't know about Rogers' Shomi service). I'm looking through the episode descriptions, trying to find where I left off in season 2 (I'm going to watch it all, not just the ending), and the synopsis for S2E1 is, and I quote, "Investigation resumes; Audrey prisoner; Donna message."

Is this just CraveTV being weird, or is it some sort of actual, written-by-someone-involved-with-the-show description? :psyduck:

EDIT: Ahahaha, S2E2: "Cooper's News; Donna meets stranger; Leland discovers." All the rest seem to be somewhat normal.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, for any fellow Canadians using Bell for TV, Twin Peaks is now on CraveTV (I don't know about Rogers' Shomi service). I'm looking through the episode descriptions, trying to find where I left off in season 2 (I'm going to watch it all, not just the ending), and the synopsis for S2E1 is, and I quote, "Investigation resumes; Audrey prisoner; Donna message."

This the format that any episode synopsis for any show should follow.

"Tony medicates; Christopher beats; Melfi upset."

"Container full; Sobotka angry; Stringer visits."

Twin Peaks continues to make everything around it better.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

This the format that any episode synopsis for any show should follow.

"Tony medicates; Christopher beats; Melfi upset."

"Container full; Sobotka angry; Stringer visits."

Twin Peaks continues to make everything around it better.

"Walt bad; Hank Good; Flynn hungry; tension"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

el oso posted:

Ultimately what really bothers me is that they made a huge deal out of announcing the return (Lynch and Frost) seemingly without actually inking the final contract. Why announce the return of the show without everything absolutely finalized? Especially for a beloved show that's been off the air for 25 years, it's just a heartbreaker.

This is where I'm at with it too. The announcement was a gigantic gently caress up, its just hard to tell who's gently caress up it was exactly. It would be more personally satisfying to just say to myself "gently caress Lynch!" or "gently caress Showtime, they'll never get another penny from me again!", but I can't do that without more information.

Both Showtime and Lynch know very well how rabid the Twin Peaks fanbase is, especially after waiting for so long. So the fans have been hosed over either by Showtime, who baited Lynch into an unofficial agreement just so they could make this announcement when they knew there might be major contractual issues later, or by Lynch himself who gave the go-ahead for the announcement even though he knew he was willing to walk away over a relatively minor amount of money. We don't know who we've been hosed by, which of course is always uncomfortable to say the least.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Don't you see? The contract was signed in the white lodge, but some rear end in a top hat took it into the black lodge.

That, or Lynch was on speakerphone for the whole deal, and just kept repeating his name, as if the Showtime execs kept asking who was on the line.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

In Fire Walk With Me, why does Cooper tell Laura not to take the ring?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I don't remember the specifics but the gist is that the ring is the key to enter the black lodge.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
Though it seems to be a good thing that the one-armed man threw Laura the ring, like it protected her somehow when BOB was about to kill her? That's what I don't understand.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the ring is one of those things that hasn't been 100% explained. Its clearly connected in some way to Bob, Mike, and the Black Lodge, but how exactly is unclear.

It may be that the ring is some sort of marker, its given to people who are to be "absorbed" by the Lodge, which would maybe be what happened to Agent Desmond after he picked it up. I think its important to remember that Laura on some level realized what the Black Lodge was and chose allow herself to be killed rather than play along. So the ring is "good", in that if you have it that means you are important enough that Bob wouldn't want to just smash your face into a mirror, but at the same time it means you have a reserved ticket to hell, so its lose-lose.

Should I be spoiler tagging this stuff?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I feel like the explanation could be simpler than that. Cooper is telling Laura from the future not to take the ring because Cooper knows how it turns out - Laura takes the ring and Bob/Leland kills her.

Perhaps Cooper thinks if Laura doesn't take the ring there that maybe she lives and everything turns out differently for everybody.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
My wife and I had a read on the Red Lodge/Black Lodge etc that it was meant to be a manifestation/side effect of electronics and radio signals. The Man From Another Place's real name sounds like the Doppler effect, while the waves on the bottom of the floor resemble static. The ring resembles the type of symbols used in circuitry schematics, too.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Emerson Cod posted:

My wife and I had a read on the Red Lodge/Black Lodge etc that it was meant to be a manifestation/side effect of electronics and radio signals. The Man From Another Place's real name sounds like the Doppler effect, while the waves on the bottom of the floor resemble static. The ring resembles the type of symbols used in circuitry schematics, too.

Didn't Major Briggs do something with radio telemetry too?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

It's interesting... I was never at all interested in any remotely logical answer to any of the mysteries involving the greater mythology. To me, what always made Twin Peaks special was that it... acted on this part of the brain that is normally only touched on when you dream, and a lot of the powerful imagery, phrases, concepts, and events seem to be not only evocative of dreams but to creepily touch on [your own dreams, in some weird way. Or that's how it always felt to me. That what he was playing on were almost... archetypes or themes that we all have running through some collective subconscious experience of dreams. Or I am a total basket case for feeling this way.

But anyway, to me the the nature of the Black/White Lodge is just immaterial. The images of Leland there at the end of Fire Walk With Me, for example, are so powerful and bizarre and sad and odd. The subtext of sexual abuse, to me, is just unbelievably important when looking at Twin Peaks. Leland was sexually abused as a boy, and Laura was sexually abused by Leland, and this... colors everything when you watch Fire Walk With Me and the scenes in Black/White lodge, or it does to me. It's certainly a huge semi-silent aspect of the show that is curiously rarely openly discussed that much, perhaps because it's so briefly spoken of in the show...

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

kaworu posted:

It's interesting... I was never at all interested in any remotely logical answer to any of the mysteries involving the greater mythology. To me, what always made Twin Peaks special was that it... acted on this part of the brain that is normally only touched on when you dream, and a lot of the powerful imagery, phrases, concepts, and events seem to be not only evocative of dreams but to creepily touch on [your own dreams, in some weird way. Or that's how it always felt to me. That what he was playing on were almost... archetypes or themes that we all have running through some collective subconscious experience of dreams. Or I am a total basket case for feeling this way.

That's pretty much David Lynch 101, so I wouldn't figure you for a basket case just yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

kaworu posted:

But anyway, to me the the nature of the Black/White Lodge is just immaterial. The images of Leland there at the end of Fire Walk With Me, for example, are so powerful and bizarre and sad and odd. The subtext of sexual abuse, to me, is just unbelievably important when looking at Twin Peaks. Leland was sexually abused as a boy, and Laura was sexually abused by Leland, and this... colors everything when you watch Fire Walk With Me and the scenes in Black/White lodge, or it does to me. It's certainly a huge semi-silent aspect of the show that is curiously rarely openly discussed that much, perhaps because it's so briefly spoken of in the show...

While I agree with you in general, there are some things that happen in Twin Peaks that really tease you and almost force the viewer to try to "figure them out". The whole conceit of the mystery is dependent upon Cooper's dream, which is purposely constructed and presented as a puzzle that the characters and audience figure out over the course of the show. Cooper gets shot and we don't know who did it. Various people have visions of Bob completely independent of one another.

The show puts the viewer in that mindset of trying to figure poo poo out. Its hard to just turn that off when there's all kinds of weird poo poo happening.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This discussion is reminding me of Lost Highway. Unexplained stuff that I'm on board with: getting videotapes of your own house being filmed, and even seeing footage of a murder you didn't (yet?) commit. Creepy guy at the party telling you to call him at your own home. I love that stuff, and I don't need or want it explained.

What lost me was Bill Pullman transforming into Balthazar Getty while in jail. And even the guards don't know what the gently caress.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Not quite sure what the spoiler policy is here, but I still don't understand why Cooper was shot exactly at that point. Was Josie just THAT freaked out by him being an FBI agent because...uh...????

This show often makes much more sense than it is given credit for, but I swear every plotline Josie is involved in is utterly convoluted.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 15, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

Not quite sure what the spoiler policy is here, but I still don't understand why Cooper was shot exactly at that point. Was Josie just THAT freaked out by him being an FBI agent because...uh...????

This show often makes much more sense than it is given credit for, but I swear every plotline Josie is involved in is utterly convoluted.

Yea that part is somewhat convoluted, it feels likeJosie being the shooter wasn't always the plan.

But yea the idea is that she was just about to burn down the mill and frame Catherine for it, so having an FBI agent in town when that happens wouldn't be a good idea. Kinda dumb.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Moscow Mule posted:

Though it seems to be a good thing that the one-armed man threw Laura the ring, like it protected her somehow when BOB was about to kill her? That's what I don't understand.
The ring protects the wearer from being possessed by BOB. He wanted to possess Laura, but when she put the ring on he couldn't do it and he killed her instead. And as Ginette Reno said, I think Cooper tells her not to put it on because he's from the future and knows it will lead to BOB killing her. Of course, being possessed wouldn't have been so good either.

What lost me was Bill Pullman transforming into Balthazar Getty while in jail. And even the guards don't know what the gently caress.
He wants to be someone else because he's going to be executed, and it actually happens. His family and history are created at the same time, but they're applied retroactively so it seems like he's always existed. His new life is like a film noir movie because it's not quite real, and when his wife reappears, it shows that the new reality is unstable and his memories of his old life are coming back.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I feel like most of Lost Highway hinges on when Fred says "I like to remember things my own way. Not necessarily the way they happened."

Pretty sure most of the movie is Fred dying in the electric chair, reconstructing the events that led up to him murdering Renée and Laurent, who were having an affair, where he thinks he is a young, studly guy banging women left, right and centre when he gets sucked into a horrible world of criminals, so he feels like he's the real victim in all of this. The gravity of what he's done sneaks back in right before he dies and he tries to run away from it all (again) before his brain finally fries at the end.

The mystery man is the part of Fred that is capable of great evil. He doesn't go where he's not invited (Fred's jealous rage let him in), and he taunts Fred because he's the piece of the puzzle that starts to bring down the whole constructed fantasy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, the Lost Highway electric chair theory makes sense, in a Lynchian way.

Also, this trailer is loving bad rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvGvjnqSKF8

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ok, the Lost Highway electric chair theory makes sense, in a Lynchian way.

They straight up say in the movie that he is sentenced to death by electric chair and then there is all the flashes of electricity and his head looks like it's melting and smoking at the end when he's driving down the highway so I'm not being particularly imaginative with that part :D

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

They straight up say in the movie that he is sentenced to death by electric chair and then there is all the flashes of electricity and his head looks like it's melting and smoking at the end when he's driving down the highway so I'm not being particularly imaginative with that part :D

I had honestly not heard that, neat!

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

For some reason all this star-wars reboot hype is making me lament the TP cancellation all the more. I don't feel goosebumps watching an aged Han Solo lumber through a spaceship, but watching a short trailer of an aged Cooper walk into the RR and order a coffee would just be jaw-dropping about now. :(

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

Action Jacktion posted:

The ring protects the wearer from being possessed by BOB. He wanted to possess Laura, but when she put the ring on he couldn't do it and he killed her instead. And as Ginette Reno said, I think Cooper tells her not to put it on because he's from the future and knows it will lead to BOB killing her. Of course, being possessed wouldn't have been so good either.

That makes sense.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

Agreed, the series finale was just otherworldly in its ratcheting up in tension. This scene, which happens just before poo poo gets real, is loving sublime in how it establishes the creepiness and horror to follow

(warning: kind of a spoiler for the series finale, but more in tone than in content. Probably won't make any sense out of context anyway)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-UwNjf77qo

Innocuous, except for how non-sequitarish it is, which is the epitome of the black lodge.

Also, "How's Annie? How's Annie"? :cry:

Sorry for replying to an old post, but the video is down and I reckon the scene at the end of the 20th episode was the one you're describing? Because I just finished it and the scene made me want to post in this thread. Because drat, it's pretty tame from an objective standpoint, but I got some serious goose bumps and proper shiver thanks to it. Like a negative braingasm. Jesus.

Also, Albert does rule.

Also, I thought the show was supposed to be kind of toeing the line whether there's supernatural stuff happening or not? Because even the first season had some scenes that - either there's an unreliable narrator/character pov or it's something we consider supernatural/aliens. Plenty of scenes that can't be explained.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dessel posted:

Sorry for replying to an old post, but the video is down and I reckon the scene at the end of the 20th episode was the one you're describing? Because I just finished it and the scene made me want to post in this thread. Because drat, it's pretty tame from an objective standpoint, but I got some serious goose bumps and proper shiver thanks to it. Like a negative braingasm. Jesus.

Also, Albert does rule.

Also, I thought the show was supposed to be kind of toeing the line whether there's supernatural stuff happening or not? Because even the first season had some scenes that - either there's an unreliable narrator/character pov or it's something we consider supernatural/aliens. Plenty of scenes that can't be explained.

Lynch leaves a lot unclear but I think it's pretty clear that supernatural stuff does happen in Twin Peaks. You have multiple sightings of the same supernatural character by different sources - many of whom are reliable. I think if Leland was the only one seeing BOB or if it was just Leland/Laura then we might have a case for the supernatural stuff just being all in that families' heads but Cooper not only sees BOB but physically enters the black lodge, and many different characters discuss/mention BOB. I can't think of a way to explain away all that as being other than supernatural. Too many independent witnesses to the same phenomenon.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dessel posted:

Also, Albert does rule.

It's been a while since I've watched the show in toto, so I'm not certain the precise location or episode, but this is the scene I was referencing: https://youtu.be/2vOg0HyJpvI

E: holy poo poo, I wrote that comment nearly 6 years ago. loving time, man.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 23, 2015

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

"Twin Peaks without David Lynch is like Deadly Premonition."

:coffee:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just finished watching the series for the second time. That last half hour is terrifying. Gonna watch though FWWM again here soon.

I still wonder about where some of these plotlines were going to go (Like with the hand-twitching thing, or Bluebook), but part of me also kind of likes the sense of eternal mystery about this world.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

"Twin Peaks without David Lynch is like Deadly Premonition."

:coffee:

Deadly Premonition is so amazing. Rather than just being the video game version of Twin Peaks, I really do think of it as a kind of response to the show's themes.

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.
Didn't lynch say that Lost Highway takes place in the same universe as twin peaks, and that the mystery man is related to the black lodge?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Monagle posted:

Didn't lynch say that Lost Highway takes place in the same universe as twin peaks, and that the mystery man is related to the black lodge?

I believe he did, though that knowledge does little to inform about either.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Monagle posted:

Mulholland Drive as well. It was originally supposed to be a pilot for a series about Audrey. None of that says anything about any of those texts, though.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/dana-ashbrook-david-lynch-fifty-fifty-direct-twin-peaks/

Apparently Lynch and Showtime are talking again about season 3. Not going to get my hopes up, but fingers crossed.

One Million Laffs
Aug 7, 2004

crowoutofcontext posted:

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/dana-ashbrook-david-lynch-fifty-fifty-direct-twin-peaks/

Apparently Lynch and Showtime are talking again about season 3. Not going to get my hopes up, but fingers crossed.

I think if Lynch told Ashbrook 50/50 there is a really good chance it is happening. You can't say anything more than 50/50 or it kind of fucks your negotiating power.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

One Million Laffs posted:

I think if Lynch told Ashbrook 50/50 there is a really good chance it is happening. You can't say anything more than 50/50 or it kind of fucks your negotiating power.

Yeah, come to think of it, the very fact that he's talking to cast members is a good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
Sorry for the bump. No news on this precarious project. I just wanted to say, I don't get the hate for James. When I was introducing my girlfriend to the series, I told her "this dude's hilarious. He has the same pouty expression on face throughout the series." Any time he comes on screen I go "YES!" and get a big stupid grin on my face. He's great if you don't take him seriously.

"Sometimes... I just wanna get on my bike... and go." Such a melodramatic teen! The deadpan face and wooden delivery makes every scene he's in a real treat.

• Locked thread