Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

DrWrestling69 posted:

Got a link to this?

quote:

Ukip’s other policies on immigration also include an Australian style points system for skilled workers and a five-year ban on unskilled workers, but Evans acknowledged seasonal workers might be allowed to come over on temporary visas or students could take their place working on farms.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/15/ukip-manifesto-to-reinstate-50000-cap-on-immigration

Here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I always got the feeling that galloway actually doesn't give a gently caress about the issues, as long as he can use them to tug heart strings among certain groups. He's a good orator, but then so is the christian fundie that shouts at people on southend high street on a Saturday afternoon.

Anyway, It begins!

Totally not off to sign up some email addresses for spam.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Cheers

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Windsor Castle staff just voted in favour of strike action :getin:
I've worked as a guide at the castle I'm employed at now (for about 4 years before getting my present job nearly full time). There's a particularly disgusting philosophy of management that's common to the heritage industry - that workers are privileged to be able to work where they work, and that they should accept the necessity of unpaid or significantly underpaid work in addition to normal duties without complaint for this privilege. I'm so glad the Windsor castle staff walked out over this.
Sadly all of our guiding staff are employed only seasonally - they get a P45 art the end of every season and there's no rule that any of them have to be invited back. In the past anybody that complains about management doesn't get sacked on the spot - they just get let go as usual in the winter and not asked back in the Spring. It's a nice, spiteful little way of crushing all dissent, and I don't think anybody here would take the risk of unionising.

e: we also have the problem of the "voluntary" work - lots of guides here are pressured to work after-hours when we have productions of Shakespeare, opera, etc. They're "paid" for this in the form of tickets to see the show on later nights. Except the pressure on the guides to do this makes it a de-facto necessity (they're letting the team down if they don't) and the management makes no provision for other paid staff in case the usual guides refuse. The guides could easily afford to buy the free tickets (with money to spare even) out of the wages they would accrue in those hours. The tickets also never cost the castle anything, as shows rarely sell out. It's a nasty business.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 15, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Australian-style: http://redflag.org.au/article/australias-concentration-camps

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oberleutnant posted:

Windsor Castle staff just voted in favour of strike action :getin:
I've worked as a guide at the castle I'm employed at now (for about 4 years before getting my present job nearly full time). There's a particularly disgusting philosophy of management that's common to the heritage industry - that workers are privileged to be able to work where they work, and that they should accept the necessity of unpaid or significantly underpaid work in addition to normal duties without complaint for this privilege. I'm so glad the Windsor castle staff walked out over this.
Sadly all of our guiding staff are employed only seasonally - they get a P45 art the end of every season and there's no rule that any of them have to be invited back. In the past anybody that complains about management doesn't get sacked on the spot - they just get let go as usual in the winter and not asked back in the Spring. It's a nice, spiteful little way of crushing all dissent, and I don't think anybody here would take the risk of unionising.

e: we also have the problem of the "voluntary" work - lots of guides here are pressured to work after-hours when we have productions of Shakespeare, opera, etc. They're "paid" for this in the form of tickets to see the show on later nights. Except the pressure on the guides to do this makes it a de-facto necessity (they're letting the team down if they don't) and the management makes no provision for other paid staff in case the usual guides refuse. The guides could easily afford to buy the free tickets (with money to spare even) out of the wages they would accrue in those hours. The tickets also never cost the castle anything, as shows rarely sell out. It's a nasty business.

Do they tend to treat everyone like they're on work experience or something? What's the general make up, is it similar to say a supermarket, with everyone from part-time students to people doing it as their main job?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
The People's Glorious UKIP Manifesto.

Featuring a particularly revealing design choice:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How loving stupid are the Greens?

This loving stupid.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
I'm getting sick of all the bloody leaflets being pushed through my letterbox every single day. I'm at the point now where I don't even look at what it is, if it's shiny it goes straight into the recycling. I didn't get to do it today because I had a package and had to open the door where I saw a postie getting quite angry with all the poo poo he's carrying round and he just wanted to deliver people's post instead of political poo poo that just goes straight in the bin. his words not mine. Poor fella :(

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think it's a bit unreasonable for a postman to be angry about having post to deliver to be honest.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

How loving stupid are the Greens?

This loving stupid.

Care to elaborate? Spend more on health, seems like a good idea.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Angepain posted:

Care to elaborate? Spend more on health, seems like a good idea.

Holding up American healthcare spending as something to admire or emulate is idiotic.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Holding up American healthcare spending as something to admire or emulate is idiotic.

Shorely the point is that they can spend a ridiculous amount without the national credit card spontaneously combusting. They're not saying 'we should totally copy that shitshow'

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I believe the point is that the USA manages to spend that much money on healthcare without somehow going under as a nation, rather than that we should reproduce every element of the american system in the NHS or something.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Poison Jam posted:

I'm getting sick of all the bloody leaflets being pushed through my letterbox every single day. I'm at the point now where I don't even look at what it is, if it's shiny it goes straight into the recycling. I didn't get to do it today because I had a package and had to open the door where I saw a postie getting quite angry with all the poo poo he's carrying round and he just wanted to deliver people's post instead of political poo poo that just goes straight in the bin. his words not mine. Poor fella :(

They put ours in individually addressed envelopes so you have to open them in case it's something interesting before sticking them straight in the recycling. Hardly a mammoth task I know but more annoying than straight leaflets. Also I'm a bit morally opposed to them, seeing as I've opted to get all my bills and statements online to cut down on paper being wasted.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

Pissflaps posted:

I think it's a bit unreasonable for a postman to be angry about having post to deliver to be honest.

Sorry I'll remind him next time that it's his job to deliver post with a cheery smile and that paper doesn't weigh anything, especially when each person in this block is getting 3 leaflets a day and there's 181 people.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
There's nothing wrong with the amount of money Americans spend on healthcare, it's the way they spend it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Shorely the point is that they can spend a ridiculous amount without the national credit card spontaneously combusting. They're not saying 'we should totally copy that shitshow'

The national credit card isn't being used for the most part it's literal credit cards that belong to people.

Angepain posted:

I believe the point is that the USA manages to spend that much money on healthcare without somehow going under as a nation, rather than that we should reproduce every element of the american system in the NHS or something.

The point is that America has to spend that much because of their hosed up healthcare system. All those cliches about being charged $60 for a couple of paracetamol are true. They spend that much because they're getting hosed over by their healthcare industry.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Do they tend to treat everyone like they're on work experience or something? What's the general make up, is it similar to say a supermarket, with everyone from part-time students to people doing it as their main job?
It's pretty mixed. All guides are necessarily seasonal, but from what I see most of them treat it as a main job for the 7 month season, rely on getting invited back year-on-year, and find odd-jobs (the local Asda is popular) to tide them over the 5-month closed season. All ages are represented - from fresh-out-of-college or uni, to retired professionals working odd weekends for something to do. You don't find as many 30+ - 50 adults among them, for the simple reason that it is so unreliable and insecure, but there are some.

Guides are expected to be very professional and knowledgeable about the locations they work on, which doesn't mesh with any idea of a "work experience" ethic, and I've never heard anybody suggest that working here is like that.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 15, 2015

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Poison Jam posted:

Sorry I'll remind him next time that it's his job to deliver post with a cheery smile and that paper doesn't weigh anything, especially when each person in this block is getting 3 leaflets a day and there's 181 people.

I'm sure he'll be delighted when the post he is delivering is replaced entirely with weightless packets of data.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

Pissflaps posted:

I'm sure he'll be delighted when the post he is delivering is replaced entirely with weightless packets of data.

Can't we just have everything online and the postie can become a parmo delivery man? Nobody would dread the post and they'd make out like bandits with tips.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Poison Jam posted:

Can't we just have everything online and the postie can become a parmo delivery man? Nobody would dread the post and they'd make out like bandits with tips.

I go and pick mine up usually tbh so I know how long it's been out of the grill.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

The point is that America has to spend that much because of their hosed up healthcare system. All those cliches about being charged $60 for a couple of paracetamol are true. They spend that much because they're getting hosed over by their healthcare industry.

So what if instead of having to spend more, we chose to spend more, but kept the structure of the NHS broadly the same? That's what the Greens are proposing.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
My local UKIP candidate puts a photo on her leaflet that looks more like a missing persons appeal than anything else.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Angepain posted:

So what if instead of having to spend more, we chose to spend more, but kept the structure of the NHS broadly the same? That's what the Greens are proposing.

They've held up several other countries for comparison and described the amount spent by the USA as 'astonishing' (in a positive way) without noting why they spend that amount, immediately after bemoaning the encroachment of privatised elements into our NHS. That's why it's loving stupid.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

The the national credit card isn't being used for the most part it's literal credit cards that belong to people.

Right but either way, all that money is being taken from the economy and directed into healthcare without the whole thing exploding. The way it's being taken and the way it's being directed are obviously terrible, but the amount as a whole isn't tanking the country, even with its lovely outcomes.

The thing about the US is they could implement some form of UHC, kick out all the profiteering and end up spending the same amount and getting vastly better healthcare for the whole country. The spending bottom line isn't the issue, it's been long established that their economy can handle piping vast sums into healthcare. They just need to sort out where it comes from and where it goes

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pissflaps posted:

If we spend that much on nationalised healthcare we would see a huge benefit to the NHS. The problem with the American system is the system, not a priori that large amounts of money is spent.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

They've held up several other countries for comparison and described the amount spent by the USA as 'astonishing' (in a positive way) without noting why they spend that amount, immediately after bemoaning the encroachment of privatised elements into our NHS. That's why it's loving stupid.

Because why they spend that amount isn't the point they're making, they're just talking about how much money they are able to take out of their budget on health.

Let's say I live in a house, and dine only on delicious parmos. I decide only to eat one per week and nothing else because these are tough times and I made a spreadsheet error once when figuring out my budget. Someone with the same pay as me dines only on Roast Beef Monster Munch, which has none of the plentiful nutririous value of a healthy parmo and so he has to buy loads more just to satisfy his food cravings, and he still has serious health issues even after that. However, unlike me, he knows how much money he has to spend, so he is able to eat all the monster munch he likes, and still stay within his means. In casual conversation with you, Pissflaps, I say that perhaps I should spend as much money on food as this guy, which would allow me to have a whole delicious parmo every day.

"That's loving stupid," you say. "Roast Beef monster munch is disgusting!"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Angepain posted:

Because why they spend that amount isn't the point they're making, they're just talking about how much money they are able to take out of their budget on health.

What budget are you talking about?

That 17% is a combination of public spending and private spending. You can't just invoke these other countries and their relative spend on health and ignore the reasons why.

I get the point - the country as a whole can support that level of spend. I still don't think it's a useful comparison.

Silly Hyena
May 2, 2014
Imho we should copy the French system. Right down to having to dial 1 for French and 2 for English on the phone, because it'd annoy the NF.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Healthcare spending in the US is such a large amount for a couple of reasons. Because it is entirely private and covered by Health Insurance the health care providers bill for huge amounts. One personal example will be $3000 for an ultrasound. The health insurance company then has an agreed rate for that service with that provider which was something like $300. Now my health insurance was setup in such a way that it was covered and I paid nothing out of pocket apart from the deduction monthly from my pay for the insurance. However if I had no insurance then I have no one to argue the price down so I get a bill for $3000 for a service others are charged $300 for. If my insurance was different I could end up paying a "co-pay" which basically means I have a set amount to pay per service which could be another from $5 to $250 depending on the service.

Of course with Obamacare everyone is supposed to have health insurance now (or you get fined) so everyone should get that lower rate right? Well no because the cheaper policies provided to those who didn't have insurance might be from other providers that were only able to say get a $1000 rate for that service. So now If you have no insurance, which shouldn't be the case but still is for some, you pay $3000 out of your pocket, if you have crappy insurance you are paying $1000 and if you are like me and have a decentish policy you are billed $300. For exactly the same service, exactly the same staff, in exactly the same place at exactly the same time.

And the most amazing thing about all this? The amount I pay monthly for my health insurance is more or less the same as my NI contributions were when I was still working in the UK and not 100% of NI goes towards the NHS and I still had to pay money on top of my health insurance for somethings. This is just the money part as well. I could go on about how non medical staff have the power to widthdraw treatment from policy holders against medical professional advice (this happens a lot with my other half who is a substance abuse councilor and has vunerable women taken out of treatment because the insurance company don't want to pay any more) and how buying anything without a prescription, even things like saline and dressings cost a huge amounts. Again a personal example where 500ml of saline cost around $10 and a box of 10 3x3 dressings were in the region of $15.

It is a broken system but people here know no other way and are fed the usual American BS about how it is the best system in the world and universal health care have death panels and the commies want to implant mind control chips in your spines.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A Telegraph journalist has been booed and jeered by UK Independence Party activists after asking a question about the lack of ethnic minority faces in the party’s manifesto.

Christopher Hope, this newspaper’s Assistant Editor and Chief Political Correspondent, asked Nigel Farage why the only black face in the manifesto appeared on the overseas aid page.

As Mr Farage’s face fell at the question the room of activists then interrupted the Telegraph reporter with heckles which lasted for around 45 seconds.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/article11537768.ece#ooid=E2aGlqdDpaLH8cLOgUuZ9pBDmmfycq2B

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...was-racist.html

one of these days a UKIP has to go full Kramer

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

JFairfax posted:

A Telegraph journalist has been booed and jeered by UK Independence Party activists after asking a question about the lack of ethnic minority faces in the party’s manifesto.

Christopher Hope, this newspaper’s Assistant Editor and Chief Political Correspondent, asked Nigel Farage why the only black face in the manifesto appeared on the overseas aid page.

As Mr Farage’s face fell at the question the room of activists then interrupted the Telegraph reporter with heckles which lasted for around 45 seconds.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/article11537768.ece#ooid=E2aGlqdDpaLH8cLOgUuZ9pBDmmfycq2B

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...was-racist.html

one of these days a UKIP has to go full Kramer

:psyduck: how did they not learn from last time

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

:psyduck: how did they not learn from last time

I think they did learn from the last time, when they say and do racist things they get more popular.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

They had them all out on loan to the Green Party marketing team.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Wales-only polls are a bit of a rarity, but YouGov have conducted one:

Leanne Wood's debate appearance doesn't seem to have done much for them - in 2010, Labour polled 36%, the Tories had 26%, the Lib Dems 19%, and Plaid 11%.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oberleutnant posted:

Guides are expected to be very professional and knowledgeable about the locations they work on, which doesn't mesh with any idea of a "work experience" ethic, and I've never heard anybody suggest that working here is like that.

Oh I meant the management, with some kind of 'you're here to get valuable and unique experience you should be grateful' attitudes

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Oh I meant the management, with some kind of 'you're here to get valuable and unique experience you should be grateful' attitudes
He works for an aristocrat, this is their traditional attitude towards staff.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlBm4rtIj8w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

baka kaba posted:

It's more that you're privileged to be working for His Grace in such a beautiful old castle, and that's the most important thing.

• Locked thread