Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Chafe posted:

Yes, its brain dead easy. Linus Tech Tips has a video that goes through the process step by step. No idea what Gigabyte's policy is with regards to BIOS flashing and modification but the card's loud idle is no longer an issue for me.

In response to the GTX970 chat above, I think G1 Gaming is honestly better than the Asus and MSI if you can physically fit it inside your case and willing to mess around with the BIOS.

Yeah, I saw the video a while ago, can't seem to find it again.

Still, kinda scary to risk breaking something that expensive. Gonna check warranty and stuff.

I'm guessing, as long as I save the old bios and I don't lose power or something while flashing I should be able to put back the old bios right?

1gnoirents posted:

Im assuming this price has changed.

Cheapest I've seen is $315 though, at that price its hard to buy any other one.

Yeah, hard to pass up, the card was 3600kr here compared to the second cheapest one being 4200 or something.

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ijyt posted:

My friend isn't happy that he can't run GTA V Max at 1080p with his GTX 780. I don't know anything about recent cards so can't offer any advice, so I thought I'd ask here. Should he get a second 780 or try and sell for a 980 (assuming sale of the card covers half the cost). Looking at second hand prices of the 780 the price ends up similar, maybe slightly cheaper to buy a used card.

IIRC he has 8GB of DDR3 and a 4570k.

I personally always prefer to sell the older card and upgrade to the newer card. In the long run you tend to lose less money, and don't have to deal with SLI.

ETA: flashing the bios isn't that hard to do. You can do it within windows and don't have to even use a boot device.

Read the flashing guide here and just find whichever bios you need. http://www.overclock.net/t/1546747/official-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-owners-club

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 15, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Hace posted:

Yeah I dunno, I can go a good 300MB over without any breaking.

Hell, i've just ramped everything up to max on a GTX970, and it's telling me it'll need 5GB of the 4GB of VRAM i have and the game still runs perfectly fine.

Outside of the odd stutter when some intensive stuff is happening on screen (like the time adjustments when you're starting a mission), i'm pretty sure i'm getting at least 45-50fps with that config. If i drop the MSAA to x4 instead of x8 and the draw distance in the advanced settings to about half instead of full then it comes to just under the 4GB and runs as smooth as butter.

To be honest, i barely notice the difference between those settings and the super-max ones though so the odd stutter doesn't really seem like it's worth it.

Presumably it isn't using all of the VRAM at once though right? So, that bar is only stating what the maximum requirement would be if you were getting everything on your screen at the same time or something? Like, flying through the air with a crazy sunset, shadows and detailed texturing looking out over the entire landscape?

I've never really been sure how memory allocation works when it comes to things like this in games.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If I watch memory usage with a separate tool like Afterburner on another monitor while playing it doesn't actually use as much as it claims at all times in the game options screen. I'm playing at 2560 * 1600 with a 980 and I haven't seen it use more than 3.5 gigs of vram with stuff like view distance maxed.

Mordor at max settings actually used a bit more, to the point where I'd actually do stuff like close Firefox before playing. (Random windows poo poo can take up 300+ megs of vram if you're an insane tab hoarder and keep 25+ open all the time).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Cool, that's what i figured.

It's good that we get a breakdown the the VRAM usage in the options screen but i think an average usage volume like the one you mentioned would be much more useful for calibrating options.

I'm assuming, of course, that a competent development team would be able to track and measure the average RAM usage in a standard play-through of their game.

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!
So I just bought Mortal Kombat X and I finally have a game that my PC can't handle, built it several years ago. Turning everything down I still get really lovely frames.

CPU : Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.3GHz
Ram : 16GB DDR3
Motherboard : Asus P8P67 Pro
GPU : Asus GeForce 560 TI (1GB at 900mhz)

The system specs say that my CPU and GPU is a bottleneck, although I suspect it's largely my GPU. Recommended specs call for a GTX660 TI, but I'm seeing everyone talking about 900 series... I'd like to spend $200 or less and am pretty confused despite reading the guide here and at various other places. Any recommendations? Hopefully my CPU won't still screw me.

I see the following cards;

EVGA 02G-P4-2966-KR GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($200)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487091

EVGA 04G-P4-3966-KR GeForce GTX 960 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($235)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487128

EVGA 02G-P4-3753-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card ($150)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024

ASUS GTX660-DC2O-2GD5 G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card ($184)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121660

Extremely confused on the pricing and series / models.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Don't buy a 4g 960, don't buy a 750ti if you have two hundred to spend, definitely don't buy a 660, that's fully two generations behind current and is a terrible investment.

You can get a 960 for around $200 or so and that's really your best bet for an efficient, powerful, and moderately cheap card.

You want to look at GTX 960s for a 200 dollar purchase. Look at MSI, then ASUS, then Gigabyte in that order. EVGA cards are perfectly fine but iirc they have a sub-par cooler (albeit with a great warranty service - you get the same coverage with most other brands, it's just trickier from what I hear). When the brands are within 5 dollars of one another, go for the MSI or Asus since they have the best coolers for the card. No reason to spend the same about for a sub-par cooler.

tl;dr get an MSI or Asus 960 for 200 dollars.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you are interested in Witcher 3, note that a 970 minus the $60 MSRP for W3 for the gift-with-purchase key works out to about $240, which might be squinting distance from your budget. (The 960 is also commensurately cheaper, of course.)

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!

The Iron Rose posted:

Don't buy a 4g 960, don't buy a 750ti if you have two hundred to spend, definitely don't buy a 660, that's fully two generations behind current and is a terrible investment.

You can get a 960 for around $200 or so and that's really your best bet for an efficient, powerful, and moderately cheap card.

You want to look at GTX 960s for a 200 dollar purchase. Look at MSI, then ASUS, then Gigabyte in that order. EVGA cards are perfectly fine but iirc they have a sub-par cooler (albeit with a great warranty service - you get the same coverage with most other brands, it's just trickier from what I hear). When the brands are within 5 dollars of one another, go for the MSI or Asus since they have the best coolers for the card. No reason to spend the same about for a sub-par cooler.

tl;dr get an MSI or Asus 960 for 200 dollars.

Thanks, really appreciate it. Is it worth bumping up my price point a little bit for the 4GB cards... I have a big rear end monitor that does 2560x1440, but have been running at 1920x1080 on my 560 TI just to get decent performance on most games.

Edit: Looking at this now, MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G GeForce GTX 960 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ATX Video Card ($240) with the Witcher 3 for free.

Chop Suey fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 15, 2015

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Just in case anyone is interested, this MSI 4GD5T GTX 970 is $309.99 after mail-in rebate and you get a voucher for the Witcher 3. It's the same one I just ordered yesterday.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Chop Suey posted:

EVGA 02G-P4-2966-KR GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($200)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487091

That is the correct choice if you like EVGA for their warranty, step-up program or confusing model names.
Or any of the MSI 960's that doesn't look like an enclosed black box.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 15, 2015

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
drat it, if only they bundled GTAV with the 970 then I would buy one in a heartbeat. :negative:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
When did Nvidia start offering the Witcher 3 with new cards? I might be able to go yell at Amazon to get a free copy.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Chop Suey posted:

Thanks, really appreciate it. Is it worth bumping up my price point a little bit for the 4GB cards... I have a big rear end monitor that does 2560x1440, but have been running at 1920x1080 on my 560 TI just to get decent performance on most games.

Edit: Looking at this now, MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G GeForce GTX 960 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ATX Video Card ($240) with the Witcher 3 for free.

Do not bother with 4 gig 960s, they don't have the shader horsepower to run well at 2560+ regardless of how much RAM they have. Just get a 970 and overclock your CPU, you'll be fine. A 2500k is still plenty of chip if you set that sucker to 4.4ghz+.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Chop Suey posted:

A 4gb 960 cannot utilize the extra VRAM efficiently. Step up to a 970 or down to a 2 gb 960. It's really, really not worth the price. A 970 is, as it's roughly, what, 30-35% stronger than a 960? Completely demolishes the performance/price curve, and will serve you very well at 1440p. A 960... won't, really.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

When did Nvidia start offering the Witcher 3 with new cards? I might be able to go yell at Amazon to get a free copy.

About March 10. Not sure if your Titan qualifies :smith:

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!

The Iron Rose posted:

A 4gb 960 cannot utilize the extra VRAM efficiently. Step up to a 970 or down to a 2 gb 960. It's really, really not worth the price. A 970 is, as it's roughly, what, 30-35% stronger than a 960? Completely demolishes the performance/price curve, and will serve you very well at 1440p. A 960... won't, really.

The MSI 4gb 960 is only $20 more, but the 970 is $120 more... that's really a stretch for my budget unfortunately.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Chop Suey posted:

The MSI 4gb 960 is only $20 more, but the 970 is $120 more... that's really a stretch for my budget unfortunately.

Then I would say that you should save the $20 and get the 2gb 960. Trust me, it's a useless addition that does almost nothing for you. If you can spend $220-240 then look for a r290 on sale, which will outperform the 960 quite respectably, but at the cost of a lot of heat and electricity.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Chop Suey posted:

I'm going to vote in favor of finding a $210-230 R9-290. They're way faster than a 960, just be sure not to get one with a reference cooler design.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm going to vote in favor of finding a $210-230 R9-290. They're way faster than a 960, just be sure not to get one with a reference cooler design.

Yeah, in that price area above a 2GB 960, you simply have to leave NVIDIA behind. The 960 isn't potent enough. If you can't stretch to a 970, the 290 represents a better buy.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 15, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

sauer kraut posted:

About March 10. Not sure if your Titan qualifies :smith:

It didn't get delivered until March 31st, so I think I'm in the right time frame.

Looking at the Nvidia site I don't think the Titan qualifies, which is stupid, but I'm gonna pester Amazon anyway :)

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 15, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

veedubfreak posted:

It didn't get delivered until March 31st, so I think I'm in the right time frame.

Are the Titans included in the program? I thought it was just 960/970/980. Presumably if you're buying a Titan X you're not looking for a deal.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Chafe posted:

Yes, its brain dead easy. Linus Tech Tips has a video that goes through the process step by step. No idea what Gigabyte's policy is with regards to BIOS flashing and modification but the card's loud idle is no longer an issue for me.

In response to the GTX970 chat above, I think G1 Gaming is honestly better than the Asus and MSI if you can physically fit it inside your case and willing to mess around with the BIOS.

Having installed all three, the G1 really isn't. At stock it is way, way louder than the MSI while running no cooler. So when you slow those fans down it'll be extra work and you'll likely have a hotter, larger card.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Chop Suey posted:

I though I saw prices in KR in your first post, if you are in Sweden http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/datorkomponenter/210967-msi_geforce_gtx_970_4gb__witcher_3 is pretty nice for a 970.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

BurritoJustice posted:

Having installed all three, the G1 really isn't. At stock it is way, way louder than the MSI while running no cooler. So when you slow those fans down it'll be extra work and you'll likely have a hotter, larger card.

I think he means after changing the fan profile to disable the fan at idle

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

I think he means after changing the fan profile to disable the fan at idle

Read my post again, specifically the third sentence.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

sorry I dont read past two on SA :(

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

Then I would say that you should save the $20 and get the 2gb 960. Trust me, it's a useless addition that does almost nothing for you.

Buying a 2 gig card right now is just not a good idea. Even at modest settings many games are already using 2.5 to 3 gigs if you want console-equivalent textures.

Yes, the 4 gig 960s are a bit overpriced for what they offer, but that doesn't mean that you should by a 2 gig card now.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The_Franz posted:

Buying a 2 gig card right now is just not a good idea. Even at modest settings many games are already using 2.5 to 3 gigs if you want console-equivalent textures.

Yes, the 4 gig 960s are a bit overpriced for what they offer, but that doesn't mean that you should by a 2 gig card now.

The argument then is: why not buy a 290 for 4GB 960 money, when the 290 is far faster? The 4GB 960 doesn't make sense. The 2GB 960 barely scrapes by as an alternative to old AMD cards such as the 280 and 280X which have more VRAM. NVIDIA doesn't cover the entire market, and nor does AMD. There are gaps where one brand is better value than the other.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 16, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

HalloKitty posted:

The argument then is: why not buy a 290 for 4GB 960 money, when the 290 is far faster? The 4GB 960 doesn't make sense. The 2GB 960 barely scrapes by as an alternative to old AMD cards such as the 280 and 280X which have more VRAM. NVIDIA doesn't cover the entire market, and nor does AMD. There are gaps where one brand is better value than the other.

Oh wow, 250$ for an R9 290. Is that HiS any good?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

FaustianQ posted:

Reviews aren't entirely promising

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=3938566&SID=

But, I've seen trusted brand 290's for $250 all the time although you'll have to keep an eye out for small sales.

I see a lot of 960 disappointment, but I think its fine card if you get one to your door at $200. $260 for a 4gb one that will do nothing different for you is a waste of money. Those $230 4gb ones... well... they're making it harder to choose. (haha the $230 amazon ones went out of stock as i was typing this. Now I know the page auto refreshes). I'm just so gay for 970 performance per dollar that I start to see a fuzzy haze for anything below it.

I wonder how well 960 SLI 4gb does since you seem to be able to get them NIB for $230. More academic than anything else though

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 16, 2015

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Chafe posted:

What is the best BIOS for the G1?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

FaustianQ posted:

Keep your eyes peeled for better deals if you don't need the card RIGHT now. I ended up getting my MSI "gaming" 290 for like... 239$ or something crazy low like that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FaustianQ posted:

I bought an MSI gaming R9 290 for $210 in November 2014 with a 4 game bundle. Wait for a better deal on a better 290, the HIS one sucks.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Thanks guys. At this rate might as well wait on the 300 series to replace my GTX 760.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Why did a bunch of Strixes just appear in open box for newegg

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

ZenVulgarity posted:

Why did a bunch of Strixes just appear in open box for newegg

Someone probably processed all those returns for the "fan that didnt work" :v:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Looks like Amazon isn't doing the Witcher combo but almost every other retailer is. Went through Newegg for
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127850
Usually don't go for the dumb limited edition colors but it was the same price as a standard model and has the features I want so whatever.

And a new MOBO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132132

and get to take my "old" CPU and RAM with me into the new build, which is nice. Even with paying for 2-day shipping, I'm saving around $50 over Amazon.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
please buy an 290x. it feels like i am the only one who bought it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Lol if you didn't buy a custom-cooled 3-year warranty 290 for like $180-$200 when you had the chance.