Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i have a 360, that drat apple watch question is pretty funny.

yes. its an apple watch.

it makes coffee and manipulates time and space yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Apple watch is good, and it's funny that it takes Apple to make niche electronics relevant.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
When I still had my G Watch the questions I received were "is that the iWatch". I can never understand how people still end up at "iWatch" despite any advertising around the thing clearly showing "Apple Watch."

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

When I still had my G Watch the questions I received were "is that the iWatch". I can never understand how people still end up at "iWatch" despite any advertising around the thing clearly showing "Apple Watch."

iPhone
iPod
iMac
iPad

before it was officially announced every tech article referred to it as the iWatch

but nope, I can't figure it out beep boop does not compute

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

before the "iWatch", I'd be constantly questioned if my Pebble was "that watch on TV" , referring to the Samsung Gear commercials.

Apr 7, 2003

Nerdrock posted:

before the "iWatch", I'd be constantly questioned if my Pebble was "that watch on TV" , referring to the Samsung Gear commercials.

Now that Apple is making wearables relevant, everyone will ask you if your Pebble is actually the "iWatch."

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

iPhone
iPod
iMac
iPad

before it was officially announced every tech article referred to it as the iWatch

but nope, I can't figure it out beep boop does not compute

You're missing the point, Apple made a point to make sure people knew it was not the iWatch, and yet people are still idiots and go "iWatch." Appreciate the sick zinger, though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Some recent update finally made it so my ultra sensitive nexus 6 always-listening mode doesn't gently caress up the listening on both devices if it hears "OK google." This was a huge complaint since it could hear me in my pants pocket while I whispered to my wrist.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

Now that Apple is making wearables relevant, everyone will ask you if your Pebble is actually the "iWatch."

Currently I have a G watch, and yes, that's been happening for a while now as well.

My last reason for keeping the Pebble in rotation (golfpad) should be obsoleted this season, since they're Android Wear compatible now.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Protocol7 posted:

You're missing the point, Apple made a point to make sure people knew it was not the iWatch, and yet people are still idiots and go "iWatch." Appreciate the sick zinger, though.

People still call the iPod touch the "iTouch" even though that name sounds really awful and was obviously not a product name.

edit: MS surfaces are probably called iPads a whole bunch of times too so I guess you can shrug this off as people :rolleyes:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
UK Border Control have signs up asking people to remove "laptops, iPads and Kindles" from their bags because, presumably, they think nobody knows what a "tablet" or "eBook reader" is. And they're probably right.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

Citizen Tayne posted:

The Apple watch is good, and it's funny that it takes Apple to make niche electronics relevant.

This. All this sobbing about people not recognizing your cool android wear watch simply comes down to Apple's strange ability to will their products into the public consciousness. No one cared about your watch until Apple got people to think about watches.

This is a good thing. Competition (not that Android Wear and Apple Watch compete with each other, but still) and expansion of the market will have a good effect on all smart watches. Companies that build Android watches will put a stronger focus on their products now that regular people care about smart watches. The same thing is happening with Apple Pay and Google Wallet.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Logikv9 posted:

It's a Moto 360 that's thicker (bad) but has a fully-round screen with not-GWR bezels. I think it looks good.

It's actually smaller. The Moto 360 is 46mm thick and the Huawei Watch is 42mm. The Moto 360 has a 1.5" screen w/ flat tire. The H-W is 1.4" no flat tire. Also it uses much better hardware overall internally at least according to reports. For more specific comparison the Huawei Watch is 10% smaller than the 360.

Whether it does well or not is another story, the company itself is terrible so I am not really expecting anything other than a pretty looking watch. I do however like the looks of it enough to not buy a 360. Apple watch is it's own thing and by having the name Apple on it implies that it will already be a big seller. Do I think it's a good looking form factor? Absolutely not. The OS on it looks decent though. In my experience people that continue to buy iphones are the low information buyers, their buying the name because everyone else is regardless of function. Either way, if either could be used cross-platform it would be worth discussing and they're not.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Citizen Tayne posted:

The Apple watch is good

I don't think anyone here has said it was bad, so... OK?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

thebushcommander posted:

It's actually smaller. The Moto 360 is 46mm thick and the Huawei Watch is 42mm.
In what world do you live in where thickness refers to diameter? Logikv9 is wrong, though. the 360 is 11.5mm and the Huawei watch is 11.3mm thick.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Karki posted:

This. All this sobbing about people not recognizing your cool android wear watch

I also don't think anyone is doing this, it's just funny.

Apr 7, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

It's good, and millions of them will sell.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

I admit, I did call it ugly.

With that said, it's good, and millions of them will sell.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

butt dickus posted:

In what world do you live in where thickness refers to diameter? Logikv9 is wrong, though. the 360 is 11.5mm and the Huawei watch is 11.3mm thick.

I take it back then. drat in those close-up pictures it looks so thick, though :smith: If it really is thinner (and generally smaller) I might actually have to look into it, as long as the price is right.

It'll still fail for the same reasons nobody is buying [insert AW watch name here].

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's good, and millions of them will sell.

And?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, kudos for this watchface maker for taking the flat tire and running with it.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/04/15/little-worlds-turns-the-moto-360s-flat-tire-into-something-fun/

Pretty drat inventive.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Yay, wearables? :confuoot:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

So, kudos for this watchface maker for taking the flat tire and running with it.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/04/15/little-worlds-turns-the-moto-360s-flat-tire-into-something-fun/

Pretty drat inventive.

I like that it reminds you that it is minimal and elegant at all times. A very minimal, elegant feature.

Apr 7, 2003

It's good.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I . . . I have a Microsoft Band and I like it :ohdear:

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I like that it reminds you that it is minimal and elegant at all times. A very minimal, elegant feature.

That is just a string text area. You can put anything or nothing there.

The first things I did were get rid of that and turn off the glow.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
First day with the 360. Took it off the charger at 6:30am. It's 5:30 and at 6%. What am I doing wrong? Ambient mode is off. Any other settings driving this or what?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Updated the software? The first versions had brutal battery life.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TraderStav posted:

First day with the 360. Took it off the charger at 6:30am. It's 5:30 and at 6%. What am I doing wrong? Ambient mode is off. Any other settings driving this or what?

From what I've read you'll get better battery life the longer you have it. I'm guessing this has something to do with the fact that the newness will wear off and you won't mess with it as much...

How is the accuracy on Android Wear pedometer? Anyone compared it to something like the Fitbit Flex and/or a hip-mounted pedometer?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

Updated the software? The first versions had brutal battery life.

I did update it last night or this morning first thing. Maybe some background things needed to settle out? Is there a way to check for another update in the event that it's not all the way to the newest version? I'm not seeing it in the wear app.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TraderStav posted:

I did update it last night or this morning first thing. Maybe some background things needed to settle out? Is there a way to check for another update in the event that it's not all the way to the newest version? I'm not seeing it in the wear app.

On the watch go to settings>about

Mine is software 5.0.2 build lwx49l

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

That's what I'm on. I was in meetings all day and aside from using GPS (which owns bones, need Waze support thanks) a few times didn't use it much. Hoping it's an anomaly because that's terrible battery life. Did any day one models have bad batteries and Costco scooped them up?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

TraderStav posted:

That's what I'm on. I was in meetings all day and aside from using GPS (which owns bones, need Waze support thanks) a few times didn't use it much. Hoping it's an anomaly because that's terrible battery life. Did any day one models have bad batteries and Costco scooped them up?

Give it a few days. Light to medium use and I get home 7am-7pm with around 40% consistently

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

thebushcommander posted:

It's actually smaller. The Moto 360 is 46mm thick and the Huawei Watch is 42mm. The Moto 360 has a 1.5" screen w/ flat tire. The H-W is 1.4" no flat tire. Also it uses much better hardware overall internally at least according to reports. For more specific comparison the Huawei Watch is 10% smaller than the 360.

Whether it does well or not is another story, the company itself is terrible so I am not really expecting anything other than a pretty looking watch. I do however like the looks of it enough to not buy a 360. Apple watch is it's own thing and by having the name Apple on it implies that it will already be a big seller. Do I think it's a good looking form factor? Absolutely not. The OS on it looks decent though. In my experience people that continue to buy iphones are the low information buyers, their buying the name because everyone else is regardless of function. Either way, if either could be used cross-platform it would be worth discussing and they're not.

The silver and gold Huawei Watches looks nice. If they make it compatible with the iPhone I may get one to alternate with my Apple Watch.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hooah-wee? Is that like the iWatch?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

That's what I'm on. I was in meetings all day and aside from using GPS (which owns bones, need Waze support thanks) a few times didn't use it much.
In the Wear app in your phone there's a watch battery graph/screen, might give you some clues as to what used it all up.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Have had a Moto 360 for about a month and love it (Best Buy even price-matched me retroactively to the $180 price even though I was a few days out of the period for it), but in the last couple of days I've been missing notifications. They don't go to my watch, they don't show up on my phone. It's nothing super important, but it's frustrating to realize that I've missed a text from two hours ago because it just randomly didn't go to my watch.

Anyone have any suggestions, aside from turning off the "mute notifications on my phone when using android wear"?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TraderStav posted:

I recently used GPS with it, and it destroyed my battery life. Hasn't been the same since, so I'm not sure what to do about it aside from keep an extra charger at the office.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

bairfanx posted:

Have had a Moto 360 for about a month and love it (Best Buy even price-matched me retroactively to the $180 price even though I was a few days out of the period for it), but in the last couple of days I've been missing notifications. They don't go to my watch, they don't show up on my phone. It's nothing super important, but it's frustrating to realize that I've missed a text from two hours ago because it just randomly didn't go to my watch.

Anyone have any suggestions, aside from turning off the "mute notifications on my phone when using android wear"?

Did you actually turn on "only show priority notifications" or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bairfanx posted:

If they don't go to the watch and they don't show up on the phone, that's not an Android Wear issue. As Technogeek said, you may have set your notification interruptions to "Priority" or "None" mode. On your Android Wear device if you pull down from the clockface you will see the interruption state and can tap it to change it.