Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Nostratic posted:

I may know the answer to this already, but:

The last few of my roasts have been weird. Not cracking, no chaff, but the beans are browning and seem to be expanding. Taste-wise it's off, too. They taste... organic, if that makes sense. Not coffee organic.

I do heat gun/dog bowl, and haven't changed technique or anything, and I've even asked Sweet Maria's if they've had any complaints about the beans, and after hearing my story they suggest I'm under roasting. I don't taste anything grassy, but I'm thinking maybe the heat gun is toast, even though it seems like it's blowing hot as hell (and readily killed a wasp yesterday).

Any advice from HG/DB bros?

I had trouble when I used a different power outlet that was located outside. I'm convinced that the outlet couldn't supply enough power since I used a (very short) extension chord from my basement and I could roast just fine outside from there. How cold/windy was it outside compared to your normal roast (if you're roasting outside)? I've been drinking a lot of tea this winter since it's been too cold for me to roast. Also try a new heat gun since they're relatively cheap.

I've heard beans can take on a baked flavor if the roast stalls/the bean temp stays constant or starts to go down for too long. If you're having trouble heating the beans that could be happening...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

So now that I'm thinking about it, the heat gun is almost a year old. And I noticed the issues sort of all at once, and now pretty consistently with 3 different beans.

As far as environmental stuff, I roasted in the garage, which I've been doing pretty much since last fall, with the same outlet and extension cord.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt
Thanks for all the helpful posts trying to troubleshoot my bitter coffee.

The answer was that my Baratza Encore must have been very oily with lots of build up.

I purchased some Urnex Grindz Coffee Grinder Cleaner from Amazon: http://amzn.com/B0014J7FUY and it solved it. Either that, or it's the world's biggest placebo effect. Since these are recommended in the Baratza's manual, I'm going to assume they actually do something useful... and my results back that up.

My coffee is now delicious and enjoyable again. Finally!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

BigBadBrewsta posted:

Thanks for all the helpful posts trying to troubleshoot my bitter coffee.

The answer was that my Baratza Encore must have been very oily with lots of build up.

I purchased some Urnex Grindz Coffee Grinder Cleaner from Amazon: http://amzn.com/B0014J7FUY and it solved it. Either that, or it's the world's biggest placebo effect. Since these are recommended in the Baratza's manual, I'm going to assume they actually do something useful... and my results back that up.

My coffee is now delicious and enjoyable again. Finally!

Yeah I'd definitely put my money on it being real, not (just) placebo. Old coffee tastes awful, so getting a bunch of old coffee building up in your grinder is going to taste, well, awful. Glad your coffee is good again!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Does the Urnex do more than just taking the burrs out and wiping them down?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Presumably it gets oil out of crevices that aren't easy to wipe down.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
It'll absorb the moisture from the oils that are left on the gears. You can get the same effect using rice. Old coffee oils will get rancid if there is a lot of it. If you mostly work with lighter roasts it's usually not a huge concern, but if you run a lot of darker stuff, it can absolutely be noticeable.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I was talking to my wife about the heat gun eyes, and she suggested I try roasting on the grill.

Any of you guys doing that? I looked at the Whirly Pop and roasting drums, but I'm not sure which way I want to go.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Nostratic posted:

I was talking to my wife about the heat gun eyes, and she suggested I try roasting on the grill.

Any of you guys doing that? I looked at the Whirly Pop and roasting drums, but I'm not sure which way I want to go.

I use the Whirley Pop and love it. In my experience, it works at least as well as the HGDB, and the concepts/skills transfer pretty well. I use it on my (gas) stove, but I imagine it would work just as well on a grill, assuming you have some way to control how hot your grill is.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
You can get a whirley pop from Sweet Marias with an 8 pound sampler added for $46.50 (an 8 pound sampler is usually $39.50). $7 to try it is a pretty sweet deal.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I've got a gas grill with low/medium/high settings, plus I'd probably get a cheap cast iron skillet to set the Whirly Pop in to help control the heat.

Flattened Spoon posted:

You can get a whirley pop from Sweet Marias with an 8 pound sampler added for $46.50 (an 8 pound sampler is usually $39.50). $7 to try it is a pretty sweet deal.

Wow... I think I might have to give it a try.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 12, 2015

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Here's a head's up to anybody who visits Sam's Club: they have a brand of coffee there, called Mt. Comfort, that's really good! My local Club sells a Peruvian light roast , and it's the only supermarket brand I've found that's not a filthy liar when it comes to its light roasts.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Had to endure some pseudo science from a coffee place. "Our coffee lasts up to 9 months after it's ground!" "Our lightest roast is a french roast, but we roast at low temperatures, so it won't taste like a dark roast." After tasting her french roast, which tasted like french roast, I bought a pound because I'd been in there so long, and she tried to grind it for me. "You need to grind it so fine it's like dust. And use 1/3 as much as normal."

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
It's pretty clear they're in the marketing business. It doesn't matter what they tell people pretty much, but if they're convincing and make it sound right and people think it tastes good, they'll keep coming back because they think this place knows what they're talking about and that they found some new special way of doing things that no one else does. I'm sure whatever they served was really weak and or bitter.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Since the OP is a few years old now, what are the drip machines people recommend most at the moment? Is that Bonavita still up there on the list, or what?

(I don't know dick about coffee, but I've been thinking about getting a new drip machine for a little while.)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Since the OP is a few years old now, what are the drip machines people recommend most at the moment? Is that Bonavita still up there on the list, or what?

(I don't know dick about coffee, but I've been thinking about getting a new drip machine for a little while.)

The Bonavita 1900TS is pretty great. No bells or whistles, just one switch. It does have a bloom feature which I use, but once you activate it (by holding the switch down) it stays in that mode unless you unplug the coffee pot.

Bottom line is I'm really happy with it, but I can't compare it to the Technivorm. The Technivorm definitely looks cooler though. Nothing about the Bonavita tells you it's a $200 coffee pot.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

I have a Technivorm and I'm recommending the BV1900TS to most people, not necessarily because it's better (who knows?) but because I'm pretty certain the Technivorm is not $100 better than the BV1900TS. I got a deal on my Technivorm and that's why I have it instead of the BV1900TS.

If you wanna go really nuts, the Behmor Brazen Plus is cool and it looks like a spaceship is about to take off from your counter top. You can really geek out with it, as it lets you control just about everything. I wanted something my wife would actually use, though. :)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Just made the first cup from my french press. Oh my god, why isn't there some PSA about how much better coffee can really be.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

torgeaux posted:

Had to endure some pseudo science from a coffee place. "Our coffee lasts up to 9 months after it's ground!" "Our lightest roast is a french roast, but we roast at low temperatures, so it won't taste like a dark roast." After tasting her french roast, which tasted like french roast, I bought a pound because I'd been in there so long, and she tried to grind it for me. "You need to grind it so fine it's like dust. And use 1/3 as much as normal."

That sounds like some divisional fuckup left a Starbucks store fully in charge of Teavana salespeople and they just adlibbed as hard as they could.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

go3 posted:

Just made the first cup from my french press. Oh my god, why isn't there some PSA about how much better coffee can really be.
French pressing really gets a great cup for you, but I hate cleaning out the thing, so sometimes I end up just doing a V60 pour-over for the ease of cleanup in the mornings.

Weekends are all about the french press, though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well this, is fun. They just got an espresso machine delivered to the International Space Station

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

But is it "real" espresso though? :rolleyes:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

From Lavazza so it's probably rear end and wasteful too. But hey it's Space.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

My french press broke so I'm in the market for a replacement. I was thinking this since my coffee mugs are always getting ~mislaid~ at work. I figure I can just wash it and carry it with me in my satchel. Are these travel things any good or just gimmicky poo poo?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is probably fine if you use it as a portable, unbreakable french press and pour it into a mug after brewing is done. If you use it as intended then you are basically continuing to brew forever because the grounds stay inside there with the coffee after you hit the plunger. If you like sippin on coffee that has soaked in grounds for an hour then go for it.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and get a home espresso setup. At this time I can manage about a 500-600$ budget to get things going.

Any reason I shouldn't get this setup? Anyone have any better recommendations?
https://www.wholelattelove.com/products/gaggia-classic-and-mdf-brew-ready-pack

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Spend your entire budget on an espresso quality grinder and live with pourover until you can afford an espresso machine

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

TheDon01 posted:

I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and get a home espresso setup. At this time I can manage about a 500-600$ budget to get things going.

Any reason I shouldn't get this setup? Anyone have any better recommendations?
https://www.wholelattelove.com/products/gaggia-classic-and-mdf-brew-ready-pack

The Gaggia Classic is a perfectly acceptable machine for an entry level setup. I'd look at a different grinder though. I'd look at either a Baratza Virtuoso or a Breville Smart Grinder. Either option would be about the same price.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Spend your entire budget on an espresso quality grinder and live with pourover until you can afford an espresso machine

Uh yeah no. I got a firearm/ammunition hobby that's expensive enough as it is. Not about to blow 600 on a grinder and then several thousand on a big rear end machine. I just want something that will make a decent espresso shot and can steam some milk and I'm willing to pay several hundred for it instead of $5 every couple days at the coffee shack.

rockcity posted:

The Gaggia Classic is a perfectly acceptable machine for an entry level setup. I'd look at a different grinder though. I'd look at either a Baratza Virtuoso or a Breville Smart Grinder. Either option would be about the same price.

The Breville looks great, same price and comes in red. Thanks.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

withak posted:

It is probably fine if you use it as a portable, unbreakable french press and pour it into a mug after brewing is done. If you use it as intended then you are basically continuing to brew forever because the grounds stay inside there with the coffee after you hit the plunger. If you like sippin on coffee that has soaked in grounds for an hour then go for it.

Ew, I hadn't considered that. Guess I'll stick with a standard cafetière.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

TheDon01 posted:

Uh yeah no. I got a firearm/ammunition hobby that's expensive enough as it is. Not about to blow 600 on a grinder and then several thousand on a big rear end machine. I just want something that will make a decent espresso shot and can steam some milk and I'm willing to pay several hundred for it instead of $5 every couple days at the coffee shack.

Are you buying roasted coffee or roasting your own? With espresso, consistency is very important so you know how to brew each cup without experimenting and wasting coffee for each new batch of roasted beans. It's either spending $$ for beans that are known to be good or diy. Good grinders can help a lot with that but I don't know what you would be satisfied with after spending an entire budget for an espresso setup.

poo poo gets expensive, both initially and in the long run. Those two grinders linked above are very good for coffee and are not bad to invest in but you might not be happy with your espresso if it's not as good as what you're used to.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Need some advice: Bought a Bialetti Moka Express (6-cup) and the instructions leave a bit to be desired.

It basically says, fill it up with cold water, put coffee (not too fine) into the filter, and don't tamp down. Then, put it all together, put it on the stove, and remove it once all the water is in the top.

I've got a Baratza Vario grinder and I normally use that for my Chemex, so no problem with my grinder.

I guess my questions are:

1) What kind of ratio am I looking for?
2) What grind size?
3) How do I know when all the water has percolated up through the coffee grounds?

Any other general tips?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

nwin posted:

Need some advice: Bought a Bialetti Moka Express (6-cup) and the instructions leave a bit to be desired.

It basically says, fill it up with cold water, put coffee (not too fine) into the filter, and don't tamp down. Then, put it all together, put it on the stove, and remove it once all the water is in the top.

I've got a Baratza Vario grinder and I normally use that for my Chemex, so no problem with my grinder.

I guess my questions are:

1) What kind of ratio am I looking for?
2) What grind size?
3) How do I know when all the water has percolated up through the coffee grounds?

Any other general tips?

I think they're full of poo poo on the cold water thing. I always start with hot water. A lot of other folks recommend the same.

As far as ratio, I do basically as they say - fill the basket with grounds, level it with the back of a butter knife, use my finger to make sure no grounds are up on the rim of the basket (to gently caress up the seal), then place the basket in the bottom, screw it shut, and put it over medium-low heat.

I grind about 16 on my Virtuoso, whereas I do 18 for V60 and like 28 for Chemex. It's pretty fine.

Leave the top open and watch it, that's how you know. The appearance changes pretty radically. I use a bowl of ice water and immediately stick the bottom of the moka pot into it, stops it from sputtering pretty much immediately.

General tip: someone gave me a cheap milk frother, and that, in conjunction with my moka pot, makes a pretty decent little cuppa something that isn't cappuccino. Don't give up, you can get good stuff out of it.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
Coffee newbie here, looking for a recommendation: After using bad drip machines for years, I bought an Aeropress 6 months ago and was blown away. I really love the taste and texture of the coffee this thing produces, but currently I'm looking for something similar that can produce 3-4 cups of coffee at once. What's the closest thing to an Aeropress that can do this? Should I be looking into a French Press, or is there something else I should be considering? Any specific recommendations in either case?

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

CerebralDonut posted:

Coffee newbie here, looking for a recommendation: After using bad drip machines for years, I bought an Aeropress 6 months ago and was blown away. I really love the taste and texture of the coffee this thing produces, but currently I'm looking for something similar that can produce 3-4 cups of coffee at once. What's the closest thing to an Aeropress that can do this? Should I be looking into a French Press, or is there something else I should be considering? Any specific recommendations in either case?

I was in the same boat as you and bought a Chemex. It's not the "same" coffee, but its great for making multiple cups. I still use the Aeropress sometimes if I'm just making a small one for me.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Anyone else really got a hankering for a Linea mini?

http://home.lamarzoccousa.com/linea-mini/

Debating whether to splurge on one with xmas bonus or wait a bit and pick one up used. Related, anyone know how much secondhand prices are on GS/3s or other single-group machines?

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Wow that's a pretty machine, with a pretty price tag to boot. How does that brew paddle work?

Here I am scratching my head over getting a Crossland CC1.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

JohnCompany posted:

Debating whether to splurge on one with xmas bonus or wait a bit and pick one up used. Related, anyone know how much secondhand prices are on GS/3s or other single-group machines?

God, I want that. Tragically I am not in anywhere near a position to afford one, and will not be for at the very least another 5-6 years. What grinder do you have?

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 23, 2015

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Miko posted:

Wow that's a pretty machine, with a pretty price tag to boot. How does that brew paddle work?

Here I am scratching my head over getting a Crossland CC1.

Haha and im deciding whether a bonavita gooseneck kettle is a good buy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

JohnCompany posted:

That's an awesome looking machine