Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
Although DKC has many good things about it, it is still both ugly and hard to the point of being offputting. Get a real save system in there and we'll talk. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chakram posted:

Although DKC has many good things about it, it is still both ugly and hard to the point of being offputting. Get a real save system in there and we'll talk. :colbert:

ahaha sorry you're poo poo at video games

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sum Mors posted:

Whoa whoa whoa there. I can believe in people being idiots, but DKC is in no way a "bad" game. First one could definitely use polish and DKC2 is widely considered a great game.

I never bought into Nintendo's hype back then. For what felt like a solid year or something Nintendo Power was nothing but OH MAN DKC RULES and I just couldn't stand it. The art is unappealing, even detrimental to seeing wtf you are doing sometimes. It's hard in a way that doesn't really make me ever want to continue with it. It's fuckin' monkeys jumping around in a jungle, that's not even an appealing setting, for me at least. Just nothing about it makes me go "yeah, that's the game I wanna play today". Obviously a lot of people like them so maybe I'm the broken one here.

Personally, if I want to play a frustrating difficult game starring monkeys* I'll just play Super Monkey Ball because at least I can see bright colors and poo poo in that game.

*I don't want to do that.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Light Gun Man posted:

I never bought into Nintendo's hype back then. For what felt like a solid year or something Nintendo Power was nothing but OH MAN DKC RULES and I just couldn't stand it. The art is unappealing, even detrimental to seeing wtf you are doing sometimes. It's hard in a way that doesn't really make me ever want to continue with it. It's fuckin' monkeys jumping around in a jungle, that's not even an appealing setting, for me at least. Just nothing about it makes me go "yeah, that's the game I wanna play today". Obviously a lot of people like them so maybe I'm the broken one here.

Personally, if I want to play a frustrating difficult game starring monkeys* I'll just play Super Monkey Ball because at least I can see bright colors and poo poo in that game.

*I don't want to do that.

The core of the hype around the game when it was released was the graphics, which would make it really dated and terrible today if there was like nothing else there.

However, there's a solid (if simple) platformer with nice music under the prerendered sorta-ugliness and it also appears you are prejudiced against ape games :colbert:

Also the game wasn't like bullshit hard or anything. There were a few rough spots but I just played it again recently and it feels pretty fair.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Its bizarre how much pent up anger some people have about Donkey Kong. Its not normal guys and its time to let go of the hate.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Seriously, yeah, everyone chill out.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, like I said, I understand that I am the broken one here. I just don't see why anyone would give monkey platformer 1-3 any time when the same system had both real and not real Mario games, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, etc.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah, like I said, I understand that I am the broken one here. I just don't see why anyone would give monkey platformer 1-3 any time when the same system had both real and not real Mario games, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, etc.

I think your monkey problem is some deep seated racism manifesting itself.

Should probably take a long hard look at yourself really.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I didn't care for Donkey Kong as a character one bit until I played Tropical Freeze and that game not only single handedly sold me on the character of Donkey Kong, but his little buddies as well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

JFairfax posted:

I think your monkey problem is some deep seated racism manifesting itself.

Should probably take a long hard look at yourself really.

If anything it's PTSD from playing a lot of DK Jr. as a kid.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Novum posted:

Its bizarre how much pent up anger some people have about Donkey Kong. Its not normal guys and its time to let go of the hate.

Way ahead of you. Currently enjoying the gently caress out of Tropical Freeze.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Chakram posted:

Way ahead of you. Currently enjoying the gently caress out of Tropical Freeze.

I just bought it but have not played it yet. Is it good?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Novum posted:

Prepare to be dazzled by apes

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Please don't bedazzle your apes.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Novum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95HuSMQSUVo

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (1996)
Part 2/3 (LP pt.93) [Youtube]

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Oh man, I can't believe you didn't get anything from the shop before heading out, at least you found that KeroKero Cola and learned HP Rain. You also didn't get the bonus items from the castle cellar that the Chancellor mentioned. I'm almost disappointed you guys aren't doing more of this so can use people's advice, but I can also see it being as frustrating to get through as Yoshi's Island was.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

That rain SFX wasn't supposed to sound like that, something must have broken.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

19LettersLong posted:

Part 2/3 (LP pt.93) [Youtube]

In which Keith shows Kyle his butt.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Don't need HiP if the baddies are all dead. POW's where it's at. I did nothing but POW on him one game, and it was nuts what he was doing. The pain he was bringing.

Real talk: There's always one stat each level that levels up more than usual. Like Pow and Flower Power are usually +1, and HiP +3. If you see one that's more than that, it makes the most sense to pick that one - all things being equal. I hope this advice comes in handy for the LP you're done recording.

You made me want to play this game again. Ever since it came out, I don't feel like I'm really enjoying RPG fights without some sort of button-timed effects.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
gonna try my hardest to integrate "get back inside me, marshmallow man" into my vernacular

also if you wanna talk about loving menu rollouts, panera bread is made up of fuckin memers.

Mico fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 14, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mico posted:

gonna try my hardest to integrate "get back inside me, marshmallow man" into my vernacular

also if you wanna talk about loving menu rollouts, panera bread is made up of fuckin memers.

They got that way because Howard told them to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQLdhVpLBVE

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Seems like the restaurant suffers from then pecking order. HR probably saw this, and rather than fixing the problem or talking to the problem cases decided it was easier just to give patronizing names and collect a bonus for a job well done.

I remember this game being really easy until a point then the difficulty being turned up on its head without warning near the end of the game making you hunt for the best items to finish it. Though this is my memory of the game from middle school talking here.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Houle posted:

I remember this game being really easy until a point then the difficulty being turned up on its head without warning near the end of the game making you hunt for the best items to finish it. Though this is my memory of the game from middle school talking here.

The only sudden spike in difficulty I experienced in the game when I first played it was when you have to fight Yaridovich. He was so much harder than the boss you fought just before that, it caught me completely off guard since he mostly uses attacks that hit the whole party every turn that does a lot of damage if your magic defense isn't high. It was bad for me since I never bothered using Peach back then, so I didn't have easy access to a party-wide heal.

After that fight the game was pretty much smooth sailing.

(Some may argue Earth Link/Mad Adder is a tougher fight for that point in the game, but just from my personal experience I got a game over on the other fight a lot more times than I did on them in my first playthrough)

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Zebia posted:

The only sudden spike in difficulty I experienced in the game when I first played it was when you have to fight Yaridovich. He was so much harder than the boss you fought just before that, it caught me completely off guard since he mostly uses attacks that hit the whole party every turn that does a lot of damage if your magic defense isn't high. It was bad for me since I never bothered using Peach back then, so I didn't have easy access to a party-wide heal.

After that fight the game was pretty much smooth sailing.

(Some may argue Earth Link/Mad Adder is a tougher fight for that point in the game, but just from my personal experience I got a game over on the other fight a lot more times than I did on them in my first playthrough)

Yaridovich is definitely the worst, but I also hated Czar Dragon and Zombone as well, especially since if you lose you have to do an incredibly annoying platforming area again.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Part 3/3 (LP pt.94) [Youtube]

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't want to shatter your dreams but Yamcha was a joke since his first appearance.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Put me in for a vote on you guys doing all of Mario RPG. I love blind LPs.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Put me in for a vote on you guys doing all of Mario RPG. I love blind LPs.

They will literally never finish this thread.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
They already weren't going to :confused: It's just adding numbers to infinity at this point anyway.

Anyway, why does it matter if they finish? This can be their biggest, greatest project, the magnum opus of their LP career.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

The Unholy Ghost posted:

They already weren't going to :confused: It's just adding numbers to infinity at this point anyway.

Anyway, why does it matter if they finish? This can be their biggest, greatest project, the magnum opus of their LP career.

If Doc Roosevelt could finish that San Andreas LP after like a year, K&K can 100% finish this thing out.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I would like them to move on. They obviously aren't into it, it'd be a terrible slog. Don't make every game be a Yoshi's Island.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

I'd like to see more Mario RPG if K&K were up for it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
If by "more mario RPG" you mean "all the other mario RPG games," then yes. If you mean more of this game, nah.

If they're gonna spend too long on a mario RPG, Paper Mario 2 is the only real choice here.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

They should move on and play games they're going to have fun with, imo

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
To be fair I feel like they'd be a little more up to doing another video or two if they had noticed the shop and bought some items :v:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Death Bot posted:

To be fair I feel like they'd be a little more up to doing another video or two if they had noticed the shop and bought some items :v:

I assumed they were playing a bit differently because they never intended to continue the run to the end.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Death Bot posted:

At least now the game would force them to go to the shop in order to progress. I wouldn't mind if K&K revisit this game at some point, but there's no need to focus on it for now. And, like the shop and toad's capture in the first area, I am a bit worried about what other things they may completely miss.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I assumed they were playing a bit differently because they never intended to continue the run to the end.

Maybe half and half? They did go into the one random house so it seems like they're not really committed to exploring and are just kinda poking around whenever they feel like it. Missing the Toad a few videos back makes it pretty clear they're not 100% focused on the game though.

Dresh posted:

At least now the game would force them to go to the shop in order to progress. I wouldn't mind if K&K revisit this game at some point, but there's no need to focus on it for now. And, like the shop and toad's capture in the first area, I am a bit worried about what other things they may completely miss.

Yeah, I'd rather see them have fun with another game that they wanted to play, but kinda hoped they'd play just a little more of this. Oh well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Also this game randomly brick-walls you at a few points with bosses that are harder than stuff before them, so I'd kinda rather they spend that time on either (or both??) of the Paper Mario games.

• Locked thread