Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I am guessing that is on top of the requirement to show you have enough money to support yourself if you don't have a job for X amount of time? I could make a flippant comment about how they should just come in and claim asylum as that seems to work for others without the need to pay anything but you know, flippant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

BigPaddy posted:

I am guessing that is on top of the requirement to show you have enough money to support yourself if you don't have a job for X amount of time? I could make a flippant comment about how they should just come in and claim asylum as that seems to work for others without the need to pay anything but you know, flippant.

Yep, of course, you need to show you consistently have a grand in the bank to be allowed in too or have someone willing to foot the bills for you for the first month.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Unless you have a house that you're planning to sell without moving, who would want house prices to be high?

Because even if you do have a house, you're not going to sell it unless you're buying another house, and if house prices go down, the one you're buying is going to be cheaper as well.

It's a bubble economy. In a bubble economy everyone wants to be the last one out before the burst, because that's where the maximum profit lies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

It's a bubble economy. In a bubble economy everyone wants to be the last one out before the burst, because that's where the maximum profit lies.

So the entire thing is people wanting to sell their house, wait until next week, then buy it back for a tenth of the price?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

It just couldn't be more obvious to me that the government is trying progressively hard to find ways to browbeat immigrants with additional charges and fees in the hope it'll be a discouragement.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

OwlFancier posted:

Unless you have a house that you're planning to sell without moving, who would want house prices to be high?

I'll give you a hint, who usually benefits when something becomes a major issue despite offering normal people almost no tangible benefit?

It's the banks (Larger and longer mortgage payments means more Interest money for the bank) and people rich enough to own multiple properties of course

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

So the entire thing is people wanting to sell their house, wait until next week, then buy it back for a tenth of the price?

Only the ones trying to make a profit by selling. The rest of the desire for increasing prices comes from landlords who can buy cheap then rent at the market rate - if they can buy a house on £500 a month payments and the value rises so a mortgage is £600 a month, they can still charge rent as if they were paying the more expensive mortgage because other landlords can't undercut them without making a loss.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Disinterested posted:

I already live here, I just interact with people at work who are moving their families to the UK, and for them not moving them is not an option.

I don't know who they are or what they do, but I sincerely doubt that there are no other options than moving their families here. The other options might not be so appealing, but they still exist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fans posted:

I'll give you a hint, who usually benefits when something becomes a major issue despite offering normal people almost no tangible benefit?

It's the banks (Larger and longer mortgage payments means more Interest money for the bank) and people rich enough to own multiple properties of course

Well yeah obviously I get why rich fuckers want it but I don't get why anyone else would support it.

It doesn't seem like something you'd want to advertise because while the few able to profit from it would like it, surely everyone else would hate it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 16, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

tentish klown posted:

I don't know who they are or what they do, but I sincerely doubt that there are no other options than moving their families here. The other options might not be so appealing, but they still exist.

Kindly get hosed.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

OwlFancier posted:

Well yeah obviously I get why rich fuckers want it but I don't get why anyone else would support it.

Same reason they'd support austerity cuts to "Balance the budget". Rich people ain't above just flat out giving bad economical arguments to line their own pockets.

"If housing prices drop you could lose thousands of pounds from the value of your property. Don't lose thousands of pounds, support us in keeping housing prices high!"

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Disinterested posted:

Kindly get hosed.

'I don't like the other options so I'm going to pretend they don't exist'

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

OwlFancier posted:

Because even if you do have a house, you're not going to sell it unless you're buying another house, and if house prices go down, the one you're buying is going to be cheaper as well.

Houses are only valuable compared to other things, but as you generally trade houses for other houses, who gives a buggery about the absolute value of their house? The relative value compared to other houses is far more important and that has bugger all to do with the value of houses compared to everything else.

A collapse in the value of your house could be a problem if you have a large mortgage though - you still have to pay back that mortgage, but now your house is worth less so you have less money to pay it off with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fans posted:

Same reason they'd support austerity cuts to "Balance the budget". Rich people ain't above just flat out giving bad economical arguments to line their own pockets.

"If housing prices drop you could lose thousands of pounds from the value of your property. Don't lose thousands of pounds, support us in keeping housing prices high!"

Urgh, you're right, of course. It just annoys me that that actually works.

Whitefish posted:

A collapse in the value of your house could be a problem if you have a large mortgage though - you still have to pay back that mortgage, but now your house is worth less so you have less money to pay it off with.

Why would you have less money unless you're planning on selling the house? You don't make money off your house, generally, so you should have the same amount of income as before? Unless you work in property and got fired because the market collapsed or something.

I guess it's not ideal because it means you're stuck where you are for a while, but even then, high prices are just going to prolong that risk, would you really want the prices to go even higher and mortgages to get even riskier because you were a dumbass who bought a house on a massive mortgage in an unstable market?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 16, 2015

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

OwlFancier posted:

It doesn't seem like something you'd want to advertise because while the few able to profit from it would like it, surely everyone else would hate it.

Once you've bought, rising prices are advantageous to you in a few ways. First, they ensure you won't end up trapped in negative equity where the balance outstanding on your mortgage is greater than the value of the house. Second, they increase your equity and thus allow you to remortgage on more favourable terms than would otherwise be possible. Third, they give you greater profits if you eventually decide to downsize into a smaller home. Really, once you've bought a place, the only immediate downside to rising prices is that it makes buying a bigger home more expensive (assuming we don't care about knock-on social/economic effects arising from people being priced out of the market, that is).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

He announced some time last year that he'd be retiring to the back benches in the next Parliament.

I doubt that's entirely due to political conviction, though. The historical child abuse investigation is starting to stray way too close to him, and having a currently-serving Cabinet minister get caught up in that could... well, I'm not sure there are words to describe it.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

Disinterested posted:

I just had my first brush with the charming new charge the government added to foreign visa applications on the 6th of this month. If you apply to live or work here you now have to pay £200 a year for each year you're living in the UK to pay for the NHS. So for for you, your wife and 2 kids to move to the UK to work for five years that's a £4k up front tax to enter the UK, whether you're working for a living and already paying tax or not! Not to mention that a five year work visa application already costs £1000 a person!

It's terrible, and the application fees themselves keep rising too. One thing that surprises me is how little this has been mentioned in the media. I'd have thought the Tories would be celebrating this policy in order to make themselves look tough on health tourism. But apparently not.

edit: it also annoys me how they keep making the application forms bigger and longer. no other reason than to make it as inconvenient and confusing as possible

Not a Twat fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 16, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Why would you have less money unless you're planning on selling the house? You don't make money off your house, generally, so you should have the same amount of income as before? Unless you work in property and got fired because the market collapsed or something.
Once you've bought your house on a mortgage you're in for the ride at the agreed price. If it suddenly is worth a fraction of that and you're still tied in for the full mortgage, psychologically you're a lot more likely to just walk out and tell the bank to gently caress off, as happened during some of the price collapses in the US.

It's a bit like how people prefer that their wages go up even if everything else goes up in price the same than they would that their wages stay the same and everything get cheaper, but with the added complication that people often borrow against their houses.

Whoever has a mortgage when the bubble pops is going to be the one left holding the bag.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

tentish klown posted:

is your point that nothing the government does should every be subject to criticism? if not i don't know what you're trying to say.

he's described the new system and made the not entirely uncontriversial point that it is totally unfair and punative.all you've added is a pedandtic point that doesn't change the facts of that.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

LemonDrizzle posted:

He announced some time last year that he'd be retiring to the back benches in the next Parliament.

oh I missed that.
still an interesting article though. looking forward to the full interview.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Fun bit of local news for UKMT: Portsmouth South incumbent Mike Hancock (in office since 1997), having been ejected from the Lib Dems after admitting to sexual harassment of a vulnerable constituent, is standing for re-election as an independent.
In unrelated news, MPs who contest their seat and lose are entitled to a Loss of Office payment equivalent to about £14,000 for every decade served.
:commissar:

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

tentish klown posted:

tory.txt

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

tentish klown posted:

Weren't you whining about how much tax you pay? Why don't you just move to another country

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Weren't you whining about how much tax you pay? Why don't you just move to another country

I've considered it. Currently I'd rather stay here and bitch about the tax rate than move, but that may change.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

tentish klown posted:

I've considered it. Currently I'd rather stay here and bitch about the tax rate than move, but that may change.
IIRC, you said you were in the higher rate bracket. Obviously I don't know your precise income, but overall income tax rates in that bracket including student loan repayments range from 34% at the low end to ~53% at the top end (and if you're at the top end, you're not going to have student loan repayments for more than a few years, so your rate will quickly drop to ~40%).

There aren't many developed countries where you'll pay appreciably lower rates tbh.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Oberleutnant posted:

In unrelated news, MPs who contest their seat and lose are entitled to a Loss of Office payment equivalent to about £14,000 for every decade served.
:commissar:

I'm sure you're saving a bullet for me anyway, but I feel the need to defend this, at least in principle.

This is compensation for the fact they will have put their normal career on hold to enter a position with no job security for the sake of public service. The payment allows them to find their feet again and resume a normal career. Similar to women returning from a period of maternity and child rearing, they will often be re-entering their industries at a disadvantageous age.

I get that it's silly if you have a "line my pocketsss" MP who will be independently wealthy, but there are some decent MPs who don't do this. £1.4k a year to help you readjust into a normal career doesn't seem outrageous. Soldiers get a £12k resettlement grant for example after 12 years of service, so £1k/year. (I realise the two careers aren't directly comparable).

You can picture an MP from a working class background, with a mortgage to pay, who hasn't lined their pockets or got a cosy non-exec director position lined up. After two terms, he suddenly gets ousted in the election and, just like that, is unemployed at the age of 40. He was working in IT, but that was 10 years ago. Apparently there's this thing called the cloud now?

I'd be happy to means test it, but I'm of the opinion that we've created quite a hostile environment that's made it more difficult to attract the type of MPs we want (i.e. working class backgrounds) and allowances like this will be a genuine help/comfort to MPs that aren't independently wealthy.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 16, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

tentish klown posted:

Well you've made this decision so clearly you have no right to complain about it

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Not a Twat posted:

It's terrible, and the application fees themselves keep rising too. One thing that surprises me is how little this has been mentioned in the media. I'd have thought the Tories would be celebrating this policy in order to make themselves look tough on health tourism. But apparently not.

edit: it also annoys me how they keep making the application forms bigger and longer. no other reason than to make it as inconvenient and confusing as possible

As it happens some people perceive the timing of these new fines to be politically motivated so the tories can campaign to right wingers that they're making immigrants pay their way in are country.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prince John posted:

I'm sure you're saving a bullet for me anyway, but I feel the need to defend this, at least in principle.

This is compensation for the fact they will have put their normal career on hold to enter a position with no job security for the sake of public service. The payment allows them to find their feet again and resume a normal career. Similar to women returning from a period of maternity and child rearing, they will often be re-entering their industries at a disadvantageous age.

I get that it's silly if you have a "line my pocketsss" MP who will be independently wealthy, but there are some decent MPs who don't do this. £1.4k a year to help you readjust into a normal career doesn't seem outrageous. Soldiers get a £12k resettlement grant for example after 12 years of service, so £1k/year. (I realise the two careers aren't directly comparable).

You can picture an MP from a working class background, with a mortgage to pay, who hasn't lined their pockets or got a cosy non-exec director position lined up. After two terms, he suddenly gets ousted in the election and, just like that, is unemployed at the age of 40. He was working in IT, but that was 10 years ago. Apparently there's this thing called the cloud now?

I'd be happy to means test it, but I'm of the opinion that we've created quite a hostile environment that's made it more difficult to attract the type of MPs we want (i.e. working class backgrounds) and allowances like this will be a genuine help/comfort to MPs that aren't independently wealthy.

It's not 1.4k a year, it's 14k a year.

Though yes the principle is sound in the sense that it will benefit less wealthy MPs more.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

^ The dude posting it said 14k a decade, not a year.

I can see both sides of this, which is why I tend not to bitch about MPs pay and such. My bf worked for an MSP who later lost his seat, and the best job he could get lugging boxes around a warehouse.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Prince John posted:

Maybe we should just have a welfare system that is there to actually assist the unemployed, regardless of their background?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Acaila posted:

^ The dude posting it said 14k a decade, not a year.

Me am literate good.

In that case yes it's quite reasonable really.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Well you've made this decision so clearly you have no right to complain about it

Cool thanks for your opinion. I mentioned once that I thought my marginal rate was 'far too high' and suddenly I'm 'whining' and 'complaining'.
What exactly does this have to do with the government charging people upfront for possible NHS use? Or are personal attacks fine and dandy now?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Quote-Unquote posted:

Maybe we should just have a welfare system that is there to actually assist the unemployed, regardless of their background?

I don't disagree with this, but while we wait the years (decades?) for this to happen, it doesn't seem like an outrageous policy.

Also, a welfare state is supposed to be a safety net, not necessarily something that could maintain the mortgage on a family home for example. Assuming that people still think of 'public service' as a laudable goal in itself, I think additional help to those choosing to put their life on hold for the sake of the nation is reasonable, in the same way I would support it for ex-servicemen.

(Sorry, I know that sounds really hokey, but I'm not really sure how to make the argument without falling into that trap!)

Prince John fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 16, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prince John posted:

I don't disagree with this, but while we wait the year (decades?) for this to happen, it doesn't seem like an outrageous policy.

Also, a welfare state is supposed to be a safety net, not necessarily something that could maintain the mortgage on a family home for example. Assuming that people still think of 'public service' as a laudable goal in itself, I think additional help to those choosing to put their life on hold for the sake of the nation is reasonable, in the same way I would support it for ex-servicemen.

(Sorry, I know that sounds really hokey, but I'm not really sure how to make the argument without falling into that trap!)

It's hokey but if more MPs believed that that was the nature of their job, we might have better MPs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tentish klown posted:

Cool thanks for your opinion. I mentioned once that I thought my marginal rate was 'far too high' and suddenly I'm 'whining' and 'complaining'.
What exactly does this have to do with the government charging people upfront for possible NHS use? Or are personal attacks fine and dandy now?

Welcome to new D&D, where if you don't think the same as the majority of the thread you're a horrible person and deserve death.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

tentish klown posted:

By 'people' here, you of course include people who will be paying all the same taxes that everyone else pays, but nonetheless have to pay a surcharge.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

tentish klown posted:

We're so frightened.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Prince John posted:

I get that it's silly if you have a "line my pocketsss" MP who will be independently wealthy, but there are some decent MPs who don't do this. £1.4k a year to help you readjust into a normal career doesn't seem outrageous. Soldiers get a £12k resettlement grant for example after 12 years of service. (I realise the two careers aren't directly comparable).

You think too little of me! It's not so much an opposition to the principle of public servants being paid (although they should be paid a lot less in general; more in line with the UK average wage, perhaps). My post is highlighting the specific case of this shameless bastard not resigning his seat in disgrace to begin with.
Also, I always enjoy your posts, as you seem very well informed and I feel like I learn something - even if conclusions drawn may differ, it's always healthy to talk with people who hold different views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Disinterested posted:

By 'people' here, you of course include people who will be paying all the same taxes that everyone else pays, but nonetheless have to pay a surcharge.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/migrant-health-surcharge-to-raise-200-million-a-year

quote:

In England alone, use of the NHS by overseas visitors and migrants is estimated to cost up to £2 billion a year – with £950 million of this being spent on temporary, non-EEA workers and students.
I don't think it's particularly unreasonable to raise 10% of the cost of this service by billing the group of people who benefit from it.

• Locked thread