Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Oracle Beehive?

Please don't use Oracle products. The world will be a better place when that company loving dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Oracle does have done awfully controversial history but pigdin/beehive is awesome.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Oracle does have done awfully controversial history but pigdin/beehive is awesome.

Fair enough. Oracle DB makes me want to off myself.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tab8715 posted:

Good god that just seems redundant.

Also, while Lync/Skype are relatively good for messaging there are so many other solutions that are just as good if not better - Oracle Beehive?

It still irks me you can't copy/paste a picture into Lync.

Openfire is great. Slack is loving fantastic.

https://slack.com/is/team-communication

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

Uh, yes you can? Depending on the settings (set centrally) you can just copy-paste a picture or copy-paste it and it'll send it as a file.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Wicaeed posted:

With MDT 2013, is there any way to re-run portions of a deployment to see if fixes you have put in work correctly, without re running the deployment from scratch?

To debug stuff inside a deploy, most people put ZTIsuspend into the TS to halt it where they want. It kicks you to desktop, so you can test your stuff, and it has a resume button to continue the TS when you're done.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Sacred Cow posted:

Any of you SCCM guys have any luck getting a Mac to enroll? I can't get my SCCM server to trust its own loving certs. I've even been working with a PFE that can't get this poo poo to work in a greenfield lab.

I'm ready to just try getting my boss to convince the client to use Parallels instead.

You don't need to do a PoC to convince anyone that the built-in Mac functionality is terrible. Just do a side-by-side comparison of features and unless what you want is extremely simplistic inventory and software deployment, the built-in functionality is poo poo.

Now, if you can't afford Parallels then you're stuck with it. But the differences are HUGE, and it's not worth wasting time on a PoC that is going to be blown out of the water by Parallels if you don't absolutely have to for some really retarded reason.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I can't wait to explain the difference between Skype and Skype For Business. I'm already doing that for OneDrive vs. OneDrive for Business.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Tab8715 posted:

Good god that just seems redundant.

Also, while Lync/Skype are relatively good for messaging there are so many other solutions that are just as good if not better - Oracle Beehive?

We just migrated to Lync and it's kind of a giant gross turd of UI design. I kind of hate it. But Microsoft can't even manage to make sense of things at the branding level, why would I expect they'd be successful at the UI level?

I really wish we had gone to Slack or something non-MS, but this was in motion when I started.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

what other IM solutions can give you the presence stuff in outlook and the rest of ms office?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Anyone have any recommendations for a quick and dirty interim imaging solution for Windows? I was thinking Fog or Clonezilla and sysprep but didnt know if there was something else out there.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I can't wait to explain the difference between Skype and Skype For Business. I'm already doing that for OneDrive vs. OneDrive for Business.

What are the differences between Skype and Skype for business?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a quick and dirty interim imaging solution for Windows? I was thinking Fog or Clonezilla and sysprep but didnt know if there was something else out there.

Windows Deployment Services comes straight with any windows server. Does imagining, PXE, driver deployment, and not much else.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also MDT is free. If budget is zero use MDT.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Also MDT is free. If budget is zero use MDT.

Yeah looking like it's going to be MDT. Have a ticket in with Microsoft but our SCCM 2012 server completely poo poo itself. I wont even get into why it's not backed up or the insane politics of this place (already :yotj: and am on my way out) but now I have to recreate our task sequence and image new from scratch while I wait on another department (again out of my hands) to build our VM and fight the powers that be on costs. I just want to get something up for the poor help desk guys before I go.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

kaynorr posted:

You don't need to do a PoC to convince anyone that the built-in Mac functionality is terrible. Just do a side-by-side comparison of features and unless what you want is extremely simplistic inventory and software deployment, the built-in functionality is poo poo.

Now, if you can't afford Parallels then you're stuck with it. But the differences are HUGE, and it's not worth wasting time on a PoC that is going to be blown out of the water by Parallels if you don't absolutely have to for some really retarded reason.

I found out they don't actually want to have full SCCM functionality. They just want to meet minimum requirements so someone very important can have their Mac without using something super complicated like Parallels Desktop :rolleyes:

In case anyone cares we found a "bad" certificate hanging out in a port 443 binding. The good one we created was at 0.0.0.0:443 the bad one was at ( :: )443. After we got rid of it everything enrolled just fine.

Now we've opened up a huge can of worms. The only way we can get the Mac client to communicate with SCCM is by disabling a security setting in a server-side GPO that's required by security compliance. Now we have to submit change requests, have meetings with the IT Sec team and writeup a nice document justifying the change. All of this so ONE PERSON can have a Mac on their network.

Who am I kidding? They'll have about 50 by the end of the year now that this floodgate has been opened.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

OneDrive or was it SkyDrive? And MySites are the goddamn dumbest things in the world.

Also, OneDrive is a SharePoint Site collection and you can only have a max of 20,000 files no more than 10GB per file. Granted, it's better than it was but it's marketed as a Google Drive or Dropbox alternative which it isn't.

Jeoh posted:

Uh, yes you can? Depending on the settings (set centrally) you can just copy-paste a picture or copy-paste it and it'll send it as a file.

Where do you adjust it to just send as a picture?

Yes, it'll send as a file but it's complicated. Load up clipping tool, crop, go back to lync, paste, leave my chat window and open the file - OR - click on the crop button and it's instantly in the chat window.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

OneDrive or was it SkyDrive? And MySites are the goddamn dumbest things in the world.

Also, OneDrive is a SharePoint Site collection and you can only have a max of 20,000 files no more than 10GB per file. Granted, it's better than it was but it's marketed as a Google Drive or Dropbox alternative which it isn't.

Where do you adjust it to just send as a picture?

Yes, it'll send as a file but it's complicated. Load up clipping tool, crop, go back to lync, paste, leave my chat window and open the file - OR - click on the crop button and it's instantly in the chat window.

No idea, I don't use it anymore (new employer). Maybe they removed the functionality in one of the versions which would suck.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Sacred Cow posted:

Who am I kidding? They'll have about 50 by the end of the year now that this floodgate has been opened.

Yup, this is how it starts.

The best advice I can give is to draw up a detailed list of tasks that will be required to be performed, most likely by hand, to manage that Mac up to the same standards as your PCs. That X number of hours can be translated into Y dollars. If there is not a business case for using a Mac that cannot justify Y dollars, that's grounds to say "No this is not a supported platform." The second best advice, in light of the fact that you might not be able to say No to this Very Important Person, is to get buy-in RIGHT NOW from as many layers exist between you and the VIP that this must be a one-time arrangement and that Macs are not becoming part of your portfolio. This might not work, and you will find out very quickly who actually has your (and the company's) back and who doesn't, but its better than watching the slow creeping tide wash in and just stress out powerlessly.

I've been there, and I wish you better success than I had.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Does anyone have any endpoint management/protection software that they like for Windows desktops? We've been well served with WSUS/GPO/NOD32 but we have check some audit boxes off.
Things like disabling usb storage devices, unauthorized software reporting, scanning hd's for sensitive data leakage, patch reports etc.

Looking at Bit9 currently but would like some ground truth on how much of a pita they and others are to actually use.

Edit:
Kace I would guess?
VVVV

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 17, 2015

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
For the last part you can use something like Nessus, it supports scanning files for things like HIPAA or PCI info.

I think Dell offers some software tools that didn't seem so bad at my last job, but I'm drawing a blank on the name of the software suite right now.

edit: Quest software makes the tools in question, and they are owned by Dell

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 18, 2015

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Sacred Cow posted:

...All of this so ONE PERSON can have...

This is it. The perfect answer for the question "What's it like to work in IT?".

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Has anyone had the displeasure of going from SCCM 2012 RTM to 2012 R2 CU-whatever? Our current SCCM install is a complete mess, it was installed on an old 2008 R2 server with a separate SQL enterprise license (why since it comes with a free standard license I dont know) and I'm thinking at this point we'd be better off just starting from scratch. What do I lose by not migrating our SQL data over just deployment, update, and collection data? I figured it would be easy enough to create new device and user collections and queries and that most of the applications and packages wouldnt take a ton of work to move either. No one really gives a poo poo about old deployment monitoring. Am I missing something obvious? It just doesnt seem like it's worth my limited time left here to try and move all of that old data.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Demie posted:

This is it. The perfect answer for the question "What's it like to work in IT?".

More like 'what's it like to work helpdesk'

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Has anyone had the displeasure of going from SCCM 2012 RTM to 2012 R2 CU-whatever?

I went from SP1 to R2 CU2 last year without any trouble, then did CU3 later. But upgrading the OS to 2012 R2 is something I haven't done. I'm told that the best course of action is to build a new site server and migrate the DB, but "vNext" for both products is around the corner anyway :/

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Demie posted:

I went from SP1 to R2 CU2 last year without any trouble, then did CU3 later. But upgrading the OS to 2012 R2 is something I haven't done. I'm told that the best course of action is to build a new site server and migrate the DB, but "vNext" for both products is around the corner anyway :/

Yeah going from SP1 to R2 looks relatively harmless. In any event what I'm ending up doing is setting up a new VM with more resources thrown at it then the old server and installing SCCM 2012 R2 CU4 on it. Once I get MDT and WAIK, WSUS and eveything else setup then I'll start removing roles from the current primary site and adding them to the new one. If I'm reading all of the technet articles correctly I can then create a boundary group and add the second new server. Once all of the roles are reassigned to the new server and the clients are pointing there I can decommission the old one. I hope it works like that at least.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Anyone know why UAC pops up when a user goes to access the volume control panel? That shouldn't be happening and I can't find anything online (surprisingly)

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

Anyone know why UAC pops up when a user goes to access the volume control panel? That shouldn't be happening and I can't find anything online (surprisingly)

It happens when there's no headphones plugged in (Windows 7, volume control in system tray).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

alanthecat posted:

It happens when there's no headphones plugged in (Windows 7, volume control in system tray).

Huh, I did not know that, thanks!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

alanthecat posted:

:wtc:

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Anybody had experience with rolling out the new Skype for Business ™ yet? My boss has a huge hard on for this software and has tasked me with rolling out to about 150 workstations and laptops.
We're using PDQ deploy to do remote installs so normally this isnt a problem but I cant even find a proper installer. I can find Lync installers all day long but the only Skype for Business installers I can find are trial versions that will apparently expire on May 1st. And to make it even better, the one I found isnt even a .msi file but an .exe.
I've got about 150 endpoints that this needs to go on in a couple different offices so walking around with an installer on a USB drive aint gonna cut it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is Skype for Business even officially out?

If it is id strongly recommend waiting until x.1 or testing as you might not know what you're getting into.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Is Skype for Business even officially out?

If it is id strongly recommend waiting until x.1 or testing as you might not know what you're getting into.

MS has marked it as a normal Lync 2013 Critical update so make sure you don't deploy KB2889923 or KB2889853 if you don't want to roll it out in an existing Lync environment. I rolled it out to my test group this week and if you have Lync on premise it will warn the user that it needs to reset the client and you'll be right back to a normal Lync GUI. There's a registry hack that I don't have in front of me that you'd need to deploy with a GPO that will suppress the message and goes right to the Lync GUI automatically. It will also permanently change all the Lync icons with Skype (task bar, Outlook quick links etc). It'd probably be a good idea to warn your users before rolling it out because it freaked the hell out of our "normal user" testers.

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Anybody had experience with rolling out the new Skype for Business ™ yet? My boss has a huge hard on for this software and has tasked me with rolling out to about 150 workstations and laptops.
We're using PDQ deploy to do remote installs so normally this isnt a problem but I cant even find a proper installer. I can find Lync installers all day long but the only Skype for Business installers I can find are trial versions that will apparently expire on May 1st. And to make it even better, the one I found isnt even a .msi file but an .exe.
I've got about 150 endpoints that this needs to go on in a couple different offices so walking around with an installer on a USB drive aint gonna cut it.

I think Skype for Business is part of an Office 365 license. You'd need an existing Lync setup (cloud/on prem/hybrid) with O365 licensing (or Office Pro Plus) for the full client itself. You install the Lync 2013 client and just run updates until it turns into "SKYPE FOR BUSINESS". I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what our MS licensing person told us.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

alanthecat posted:

LmaoTheKid posted:

Huh, I did not know that, thanks!

Ooh, I think I got this one! It's because Windows' default response to opening Volume Control with no playback devices detected is to throw up the built-in troubleshooter (because hey what exactly are you trying to adjust the volume on? I don't see anything that makes noise, let's investigate) which requires admin credentials to run, since part of it indirectly invokes device management to re-detect installed hardware.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

http://tobiefysh.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/do-you-have-lync-2013-client-deployed.html

That's a good link with info on the Lync to Skype to Business change. As mentioned it's KB2889853 and 2889923. I've tested it out on a few machines. Looks just different enough to confuse people. On the other hand Skype seems to engender more positive feelings so maybe people here will like Lync more when it rolls out.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah going from SP1 to R2 looks relatively harmless. In any event what I'm ending up doing is setting up a new VM with more resources thrown at it then the old server and installing SCCM 2012 R2 CU4 on it. Once I get MDT and WAIK, WSUS and eveything else setup then I'll start removing roles from the current primary site and adding them to the new one. If I'm reading all of the technet articles correctly I can then create a boundary group and add the second new server. Once all of the roles are reassigned to the new server and the clients are pointing there I can decommission the old one. I hope it works like that at least.

You making things a little harder on yourself than needed. Stand up a brand new site (NEW SITE CODE!!!) with all the roles that it needs, all configured and happy. Nuke the Boundary Groups on the Old site, Add to the new site. Then do a Client push forcing repair/reinstall of the client.

if you want to slow roll, you can only "move" some of the boundary groups. Most important is to never allow the boundaries between sites to overlap. The Agents get all pissy when that happens.

I definitely recommend "green field" type upgrades for the most part on SCCM. The exception to this is you may want to use the migration tool to bring over any application packages, OSD task Sequences, Images, etc you have created.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

If that's not going to work for cost reasons then seriously consider deploying Meraki network hardware to these branch locations - you can create a VPN tunnel with one-click and have cloud-based insight and management into the networking requirements of all your locations on one dashboard. They aren't massively feature rich but it's perfect for your use case. Once you have the VPN in place then you can bind computers to AD for policies, central management of accounts etc.

Out of curiosity, any other manufacturers have similarly easy to configure site to site VPN setups?

Also, what's the deal on reselling Meraki stuff? It looks like since it's bound to an account once you're done with it your options are trash it and that's about it.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Does anyone have any endpoint management/protection software that they like for Windows desktops? We've been well served with WSUS/GPO/NOD32 but we have check some audit boxes off.
Things like disabling usb storage devices, unauthorized software reporting, scanning hd's for sensitive data leakage, patch reports etc.

Looking at Bit9 currently but would like some ground truth on how much of a pita they and others are to actually use.

I have a friend currently going in circles with Bit9. The sales and documentation say the recommended hardware for X number of users is level X. Installation and Technical support are saying the hardware should be at level X + OMG MORE MORE FASTER FASTER EVERYTHING CORES RAM IOPS TOO SLOW MORE MORE MORE MORE!!!!!! The disconnect between the two is striking and expensive.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

hey everyone just posting because it's sunday night and we're 30% done moving mailboxes from an SBS! Subject line still tru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

hey everyone just posting because it's sunday night and we're 30% done moving mailboxes from an SBS! Subject line still tru.

God Speed good sir.