Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Moeen would've torn though this lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS
Play Root, Moeen & KP. The most fearsome fingerspin attack.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lmao we're a team full of garbage men.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Lets name all the good players in the England team:

Joe Root

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Credit to Ramdin, Holder and Roach. They held themselves together while England once against showed that they are the world's best at bowling badly at the tail.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

IceAgeComing posted:

Joe Root

To be fair the only England batsmen who didn't contribute were Cook and Trott.

England's bowling looks pretty miserable still. Maybe they need a bowler who can bowl really fast. Just one ordinary blokes opinion.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Seams posted:

To be fair the only England batsmen who didn't contribute were Cook and Trott.

England's bowling looks pretty miserable still. Maybe they need a bowler who can bowl really fast. Just one ordinary blokes opinion.

Not trying to be a jerk, but who was England's last terrifyingly quick fast bowler?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Spedman posted:

Not trying to be a jerk, but who was England's last terrifyingly quick fast bowler?

Probably Devon Malcolm.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Simon Jones, Harmison, Flintoff and even Anderson all started off very quick, but for various reasons got slower as they went on. But yeah Malcolm was probably the last brute force sort of bowler they had.

Tymal Mills is supposed to be fast, and Meaker, but they're both pretty average from what I've seen.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

For those that have never seen,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NncjEUUESU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
There are plenty of ways to get lower order batsmen out that don't require a guy who can bowl 150ks though. People who aren't named Cook probably even know some of them

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they can send Broad off home to sort out his batting issues, and then play... Wood? Yet another right arm fast-medium? gently caress. He's a bit different I suppose.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Airstream Driver posted:

Drop Benn and I think they could probably beat this lot.

this

also, quite pleased with the result, if not for a few absolutely brainless dismissals in the morning session we might even have been in with a shout to nick it

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

goatface posted:

Maybe they can send Broad off home to sort out his batting issues, and then play... Wood? Yet another right arm fast-medium? gently caress. He's a bit different I suppose.

people seem to be talking plunkett up as something different but last year he looked very similar to the current set of bowlers. jordan used to be quick; but surprisingly since getting picked for england he's slowed down. they were selling wood as a fast bowler; i've never seem him though so can't really comment

i'm honestly a little surprised that england didn't over-react to the "samey bowlers" complaint by jamming gurney or some other average left armer into the test team

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 18, 2015

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
I think the samey bowlers problem is a little overblown.

The big problem is they all suck.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Bring back Saj Mahmood to blow these tails away imo

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Ravi has been bowling really well in the IPL.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

-Spiffy- posted:

I think the samey bowlers problem is a little overblown.

The big problem is they all suck.

Its a valid complaint for ODIs and T20s, in tests you can win test matches with three good right arm fast-mediums and a good off-spinner - England proved that when they were good. Although England probably wouldn't have complained if they could have played a left armer as their third seamer at that time - the last good one was Sidebottom who quit after England won the T20 world cup, which I still can't believe ever happened. They got lucky between 2009 and 2013 with a good set of bowlers, and as they retire or decline England will struggle to cope: especially with the spin side of things since they don't seem to have any international-quality spinners developing in the counties - and any new spinner they bring in would probably end up being compared with Swann which wouldn't be a good thing.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
A bit of variety is good and all but right arm fast medium at 140 plus or from enough height clipping the top of off will do the job most of the time. England bowl too short.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Boycott was right, just bowl yorkers on the stumps

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

I'd forgotten about Devon, that Cronje bowled dismissal was magic, half on the front foot defending with only middle stump rocking back. And then Richie Benaud at the end of the video :smith:

Byolante posted:

Boycott was right, just bowl yorkers on the stumps

As my old captain used to say "just bowl at the fuckin' pegs".

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The TMS Facebook page is currently:
Anderson record story
Anderson record story
Anderson record story
Anderson record story
Photo of commentary booth
Vaughan commentator's curse story
Anderson record story
Anderson record story
Benaud story

No mention of the shambolic inability to win the test match.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 18, 2015

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
In every story about the Anderson record somebody should point out that he has less wickets than Ntini and he's bowled a lot more deliveries.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
This Australian woman on the IPL commentary has the most cringeworthy accent I've heard this side of parody shows. Also she's talking a load of poo poo.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
That's just what Australians sound like

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Could be worse, could be a Noozle Land accent.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
It's Nu Ziland actually.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np-gqrLTfQA

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Matthew Hoggard is England's all time greatest bowler

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What a rubbish system.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Ashley Giles is England's best bowler

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

What an incredible waste of time that was.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

That is so wrong that I can't believe an actual statistician was happy to put his name to it. Trueman in 9th ffs. Hoggard was better than Anderson and Broad though it's got that right.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

Joe Root

Are you ignoring Ballance because he's only played 15 innings

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

o.m. 94 posted:

Are you ignoring Ballance because he's only played 15 innings
Has he played anyone decent yet? I don't think so

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

At the very least he adds stability to the top order :v:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Shmoses posted:

Has he played anyone decent yet? I don't think so

Test cricket is mostly temperament and it looks like Ballance might have a good head on his shoulders. Plus he has two consonants in his name, which we all know makes him an instant selection in the England Cricket Team.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Anyone else watching the Pakistan v Bangladesh game? It's like I'm watching highlights.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lionel Richie posted:

That is so wrong that I can't believe an actual statistician was happy to put his name to it. Trueman in 9th ffs. Hoggard was better than Anderson and Broad though it's got that right.

No weighting for batsmen from the uncovered pitch days where averaging 40 would be like averaging 60 these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Can't have that because it would make Bradman's average 119.94 or something and it doesn't quite have the same ring to it.