Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
The youtube app on my phone crashed and when I went to restart it, it said something about Google Play Services being missing, then it launched the Play Store which crashed because it said I had to log in. Now none of the Google apps are working: Store, Gmail, Youtube, Hangouts, Calendar, Keep, e.t.c. They all just hang on a white screen.

I've tried rebooting, clearing the play store cache, clearing the Google services cache, clearing the Google framework cache.

I can't delete my Google account because the Settings app crashes, I can't factory reset the device because the Settings app crashes.

If I try a trigger a factory reset from boot I get a No Command error when booting into recovery.

What the hell happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

nexus6 posted:

The youtube app on my phone crashed and when I went to restart it, it said something about Google Play Services being missing, then it launched the Play Store which crashed because it said I had to log in. Now none of the Google apps are working: Store, Gmail, Youtube, Hangouts, Calendar, Keep, e.t.c. They all just hang on a white screen.

I've tried rebooting, clearing the play store cache, clearing the Google services cache, clearing the Google framework cache.

I can't delete my Google account because the Settings app crashes, I can't factory reset the device because the Settings app crashes.

If I try a trigger a factory reset from boot I get a No Command error when booting into recovery.

What the hell happened?

Failed play services update? Try downloding and installing this: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...e-apk-download/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nexus6 posted:

What the hell happened?
Holy poo poo. Part of me just says reflash the stock image and be done with it but if you can actually boot into Android then what happens if you try to install the Play Services APK? If you tell me what device you're using it would help me to determine the one you need but if you're on a fairly modern device it's probably the one I linked.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Forced updates should be the norm and there's no reason at all not to do it. Users should not have the option to forgo security patches and API updates because it puts them at risk for things they do not and cannot understand.

As for the linked article, I have a tough time believing it's anything but cheap NAND dying. Reading through the thread, none of the afflicted users had this happen immediately upon update but rather some time later. Their train of thought seems to be "Well the last thing that changed is that update and now my device doesn't work," which does anything but point to it being software issue. It's far more likely that it was dying anyway and they're just connecting dots that don't exist.

Of course all the users in the thread are on Lollipop--that's the current software release. I'd imagine somewhere near 100% of the iPhone hardware failures Apple has had to deal with in the last few months has been on devices running iOS 8.

If anything the current tempest in a teapot about this is a great example of why updates should be forced because anyone reading it thinking the software is causing hardware failures days, weeks, and months later and therefore chooses to forgo updating really shouldn't be in charge of making such decisions as they clearly lack the understanding necessary to make an informed choice. :colbert:

Thanks for this. I completely agree and it blows my mind when someone's like "I am going to ignore this update because I'm just not sure about it." You're buying a device from a manufacturer that should be reputable. If you can't trust them and the software they give you then you need to switch vendors.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

Forced updates should be the norm and there's no reason at all not to do it. Users should not have the option to forgo security patches and API updates because it puts them at risk for things they do not and cannot understand.

As for the linked article, I have a tough time believing it's anything but cheap NAND dying. Reading through the thread, none of the afflicted users had this happen immediately upon update but rather some time later. Their train of thought seems to be "Well the last thing that changed is that update and now my device doesn't work," which does anything but point to it being software issue. It's far more likely that it was dying anyway and they're just connecting dots that don't exist.

Of course all the users in the thread are on Lollipop--that's the current software release. I'd imagine somewhere near 100% of the iPhone hardware failures Apple has had to deal with in the last few months has been on devices running iOS 8.

If anything the current tempest in a teapot about this is a great example of why updates should be forced because anyone reading it thinking the software is causing hardware failures days, weeks, and months later and therefore chooses to forgo updating really shouldn't be in charge of making such decisions as they clearly lack the understanding necessary to make an informed choice. :colbert:

I leave updates auto/silent on everything I have that's on a UPS or internal battery and auto download + notify (+ probably a compulsion of some sort making me fastidious about taking updates at the earliest opportunity) on everything else. I also keep rigorous backups and use online sync where possible because you'd have to be a space-doofus not to these days. I think the only time I didn't was one of those times when some big vendor literally could not get patches right for months. I don't want to say it was Microsoft without corroboration but drat does it feel like it.

I would still want to see warranty protection extended to cover any fault that can be positively traced back to the firmware, as deployed as intended by the manufacturer, within the device's lifetime (or similar coverage, and actually updating it seems like would be an implicit acknowledgment of an extended lifetime for the device) before I'd be cool with this, but at that point yeah set it off as soon as it's verified and charged. You gotta charge it sometime... :colbert:

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 18, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If the updates are just security and API stuff, sure. But I don't trust Google not to gently caress something up in terms of features or interface so I'm skipping 5.0.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

You guys are like the people still running Windows XP in 2015 because your boss's kid nephew "IT guy" said never update.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

mobby_6kl posted:

If the updates are just security and API stuff, sure. But I don't trust Google not to gently caress something up in terms of features or interface so I'm skipping 5.0.

Then stick with end-of-life mature phones.

EDIT: I think I typed this harsher than I meant. I'm serious; look into devices that are actually frozen at a given API level but still given security updates. Works for corporate stuff, but that's mostly general-purpose computing stuff and I'm surprised there's no equivalent in phones these days.

Blackberry doesn't count.

v v v WAS. I categorically switched from Vista to 7 with the release preview with zero regrets, and I didn't actually switch fully to 8 until it was 8.1 and in retrospect I have no idea how I put up with Vista until 7 release preview.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 18, 2015

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

kitten smoothie posted:

You guys are like the people still running Windows XP in 2015 because your boss's kid nephew "IT guy" said never update.

Agreed, Vista was dope.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Right now Google Services is eating so much power on my M8 that my Moto 360 will outlast it by several hours. They've been taken of the charger at the same time. If Google wants to use your battery, they dont gently caress around!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Hammer Floyd posted:

Any complaints about the Xperia Z3 Compact? Upgrading from a Samsung S4 Galaxy.

No, excellent phone. Only complaints tend to be a lack of Qi charging and the camera isn't phenomenal but is still rated " good ".

Buy it, won't be going wrong.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Jesus Christ, never mind. God forbid somebody wanting to do a backup before updating an OS, or not wanting to be forced to use the new Chrome or Gmail. But I guess "I just don't understand", and not having the newest firmware update would open me up to heinous security holes that wouldn't even loving effect me because I'm not an idiot who clicks on any prompt or downloads shady .apks.

What about when your carrier stops providing updates? Oh wait you're probably all rooted so something like that is beneath you. Realize there are more strata and sub strata to the Android user base than what you might casually assume because of yourself.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Longbaugh01 posted:

Jesus Christ, never mind. God forbid somebody wanting to do a backup before updating an OS, or not wanting to be forced to use the new Chrome or Gmail. But I guess "I just don't understand", and not having the newest firmware update would open me up to heinous security holes that wouldn't even loving effect me because I'm not an idiot who clicks on any prompt or downloads shady .apks.

What about when your carrier stops providing updates? Oh wait you're probably all rooted so something like that is beneath you. Realize there are more strata and sub strata to the Android user base than what you might casually assume because of yourself.

Maybe admit that you're just scared of change?

Seriously though Lollipop is pretty freaking great and you should give it a try.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

Jesus Christ, never mind. God forbid somebody wanting to do a backup before updating an OS, or not wanting to be forced to use the new Chrome or Gmail.

What? Of all the possible reasons to not want to update your OS, having up to date Chrome and Gmail is possibly the weirdest I've ever heard. You realize those can get updated without a new OS version?

Longbaugh01 posted:

What about when your carrier stops providing updates?

Then your phone is EOL'd and at risk for new exploits that get found. It's something to be cognizant about.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Realize there are more strata and sub strata to the Android user base than what you might casually assume because of yourself.

I don't really know what this means, so can't help you there.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't really know what this means, so can't help you there.

"I want to keep using my 4-year-old garbage phone that was EOL'd 3 years ago"

(also, see Nexus 4 or Nexus 7 2012)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Longbaugh01 posted:

What about when your carrier stops providing updates? Oh wait you're probably all rooted so something like that is beneath you.

On the whole, I think this thread recommends you don't root.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Thermopyle posted:

On the whole, I think this thread recommends you don't root.

With the vast majority of phones and tablets it's a bad idea, yeah. And these days it's for much better reasons than RZA and Tayne used to invade the rooted thread about : updates from Lollipop generally delta-patch against the /system volume as a monolith (there are exceptions but you can't count on your phone being one of them), so if you do so much as change a single bit of metadata the update will throw up its hands before it ever writes anything. In other words: root your phone and you're stuck on your current patch level unless you do crazy things and possibly break that 500-dollar Internet/PSTN lifeline of yours.

Having access to actual factory images (like what a maintenance suite on your computer grabs if it can only get into recovery, or the kind you download direct from Google for Nexus devices, not like some XDA rando's "totally legit stock ROM I swear") changes this radically, but that drat near requires a developer's edition phone now (Nexus, Moto X Pure, etc).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Longbaugh01 posted:

But I guess "I just don't understand", and not having the newest firmware update would open me up to heinous security holes that wouldn't even loving effect me because I'm not an idiot who clicks on any prompt or downloads shady .apks.
If you ever use SSL you really do want security updates.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 18, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

If you ever use SSL you really do want security updates.

Nah, https is for suckers! Old http Gmail for me thanks.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

No heartbleed for you! :smug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Never installing updates is stupid, but waiting to install them isn't a terrible idea. Unless it's an absolutely critical security update a la Heartbleed waiting a week or so to make sure there aren't any other major problems seems reasonable, especially for something that involves replacing the entire operating system. Even Microsoft with perhaps the largest update testing setups has a bad patch slip out every once in a while, and the initial Lollipop updates got pulled because of memory leaks, not to mention the reports of phones getting bricked.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Longbaugh01 posted:

Hi. Today I received the Lollipop OTA option for my at&t LG G2.

I ignored it because I wasn't ready. At some point my phone decided it would upgrade itself automatically and without my input while it was locked and in my pocket. Needless to say I'm not entirely happy about this.

Has anybody ever heard of something like this happening?

It probably wanted you to actually hit an "ignore for X hours" button, instead of just ignoring it. Chances are the notification you got was something like "The phone will restart and update in 10 minutes" or whatever

LastInLine posted:

A carrier or OEM doing the right thing and forcing users to be on the latest software? No precedence I can think of but it's a welcome step.

LastInLine posted:

You're missing the point. The poster wasn't mad that his/her phone updated, the poster was mad that the phone updated when he/she wasn't ready for it. It would suck pretty hard if he/she actually had to use the phone for something but instead it was in the middle of an update.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You're missing the point. The poster wasn't mad that his/her phone updated, the poster was mad that the phone updated when he/she wasn't ready for it. It would suck pretty hard if he/she actually had to use the phone for something but instead it was in the middle of an update.

Not to mention if the update triggered while he was low on battery it might fail partway through. Doesn't pretty much every tablet/phone update require you to be plugged in these days?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So I've installed a google play services update from Androidpolice without even noticing that there are different version for different phones. What can I say, I wanted to get rid of that android wear notification.

Can anyone with a M8 tell me what the last three digits in the version number of google Play Services are? The ones after the -

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

isndl posted:

Not to mention if the update triggered while he was low on battery it might fail partway through. Doesn't pretty much every tablet/phone update require you to be plugged in these days?

Droid Turbo doesn't, but I'm pretty sure it won't start an update if it's below a certain battery level.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

Droid Turbo doesn't, but I'm pretty sure it won't start an update if it's below a certain battery level.

I can remember that Touchwiz (at least 4.2.2 wich was the last time I used it) didn't update below 50% battery, I may be wrong. Windows Phone won't update with low battery aswell.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

Lol if u think the Turbo actually gets updates :suicide:

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It probably wanted you to actually hit an "ignore for X hours" button, instead of just ignoring it. Chances are the notification you got was something like "The phone will restart and update in 10 minutes" or whatever

That last point really strikes me.

What happens if forced updates are the norm and someone can't call 911 because the phone is updating? Why would Google/OEMs/carriers ever expose themselves to that kind of liability?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

uninterrupted posted:

That last point really strikes me.

What happens if forced updates are the norm and someone can't call 911 because the phone is updating? Why would Google/OEMs/carriers ever expose themselves to that kind of liability?

This is why most phones make you either hit a button to update, or wait until your phone restarts (or turns off/on).

E: it could have been some flukey poo poo like the phone kernel panicked and restarted on its own, triggering the delayed update to install. Wouldn't be too far fetched.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Android doesn't do this, so either some moronic OEM added it or the user pressed a thing that they don't understand. My Mum frequently does the latter. She literally does not understand the difference between an app update and an OS update, for example.

I'm not saying that no such device exists but I am yet to encounter any device that forces updates on the user. If such a thing does exist then you should take that as a lesson to never buy a device from that OEM again. Certainly this is not how Google intend for Android to operate.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

So I've installed a google play services update from Androidpolice without even noticing that there are different version for different phones. What can I say, I wanted to get rid of that android wear notification.

Can anyone with a M8 tell me what the last three digits in the version number of google Play Services are? The ones after the -

Yeah, this is why people should just let their phone handle poo poo for them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since my Nexus 4's charging port is likely dying after replacing it in December (that's some lovely manufacturing right there), I'm in the market for a Qi charger. I like the Nexus one, but I'm afraid my phone might slide off of it. I don't want or need anything as expensive as a Tylt Vu, and in fact I would much prefer a flat charger.

Should I be so concerned about my phone sliding off the Nexus charger? If so, what are some other recommendations?

Edit: apparently the Nexus charger's sold out. I guess that at least narrows my choices.

hooah fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 19, 2015

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

Please, I telnet into Gmail. :smug:

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

hooah posted:

Since my Nexus 4's charging port is likely dying after replacing it in December (that's some lovely manufacturing right there), I'm in the market for a Qi charger. I like the Nexus one, but I'm afraid my phone might slide off of it. I don't want or need anything as expensive as a Tylt Vu, and in fact I would much prefer a flat charger.

Should I be so concerned about my phone sliding off the Nexus charger? If so, what are some other recommendations?

Edit: apparently the Nexus charger's sold out. I guess that at least narrows my choices.

I use this Choe Qi Charger for my Nexus 7 and it does a solid job. It's small and compact and less than $30.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Char...ireless+charger

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
So I'm giving the Samsung Galaxy A3 a try, but as I feared its too big.. I cant operate this thing with my thumb(wont reach top of the screen).

Do we know if there's anything coming out this year that is about the size of the iPhone 4? drat all these giant phones..

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Oovee posted:

So I'm giving the Samsung Galaxy A3 a try, but as I feared its too big.. I cant operate this thing with my thumb(wont reach top of the screen).

Do we know if there's anything coming out this year that is about the size of the iPhone 4? drat all these giant phones..

Z4c?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="444233781"]
Z4c?

The Z3c is slightly bigger than an iPhone 5/5s. I doubt the Z4c will be notably smaller.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Oovee posted:

There is literally 0 consumer or industry interest in 3.5" phones in 2015.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Oovee posted:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Walmart-Family-Mobile-ZTE-Zinger-Smartphone/39150771

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

No I get this but as Tunga said it's not like this is stock behavior, someone added this. Just as it's infuriating when Windows decides that you positively must restart now, this too would be infuriating. A smarter device would the data available to it to pick a better time and if you're going to just go do it that's really the only way to go about it.

In the end you and others are probably right. There was some trigger that was accidentally activated either on its own or by the user.