Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How dare you impugn the drawing power of Mikey Whipwreck and Dave Finlay

I would gladly pay to watch Finlay kick Whipwreck in the skull. A lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
Is there any real reason why an FMW revival would actually draw when BJW already exists and Onita could probably serve as an ambassador there?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

a retard posted:

Is there any real reason why an FMW revival would actually draw when BJW already exists and Onita could probably serve as an ambassador there?

FMW wasn't just a DM fed, they had some really good joshi matches, judo for some reason, hard hitting non-DM matches and a really weird collection of gaijin. The idea was to offer something for everyone.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 10, 2015

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but Dave noted that Kobashi's wife is pregnant. Pretty sure that kid will learn a half-nelson suplex before he learns to speak.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

a retard posted:

Nah, it's yet another dumb revival that will fail.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

a retard posted:

everyone needs their boutique legacy fed dammit.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

a retard posted:

what EGG said, FMW was a fair bit more than it's remembered for/was marketed as.

this is gonna fail btw

has Kikutaro and Masato Tanaka, though, so there's that

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
FMW has had several revivals. Onita has retired and returned several times. It's exactly the same as with ECW: appealing to the hardcore fans of hardcore wrestling. Sometimes the comeback works for a little while, sometimes it fails right out of the gate.

Right now, Onita is on a decent run for himself. He's shown up in several promotions (briefly), he's drawn a handful of solid (by current standards) gates for his Zero1-aligned explosion deathmatch shows. This is good timing. But it won't mean anything a year from now.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

just wanna affirm, in terms of size and popularity, is it safe to say that the most popular companies in japan are as follows?:

NJPW
Dragon Gate
DDT
NOAH
Wrestle-1
Zero-1
AJPW

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I'd put AJPW above Zero-1 and Wrestle-1 but yeah that's about right

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
BJW probably falls in there somewhere along with Dradition and RJPW if those two still exist. Probably whatever other splinter feds there are still floating around, not counting Ice Ribbon, Oz, Stardom, Sendai Girls, and w/e other Joshis exist.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
FMW was a success for two reasons: Onita and garbage wrestling. The martial arts poo poo he attempted early on was a flop. The new styles he tried to incorporate were a flop. If FMW was doing well it was because Onita was on top. This meant lots of insane death matches to cover up his limitations.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Ah poo poo, I forgot about Big Japan.

List should probably read

NJPW
Dragon Gate
DDT
NOAH
AJPW
Big Japan
Zero-1
Wrestle-1

I'm honestly surprised the last two are even still in business

BattleARTS has been dead for a while, right?

e: actually yeah, Ice Ribbon probably deserves a spot in there somewhere

Horns fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 10, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
W-1's attendance figures look better than AJPW's when I see them, they just come with the caveat that I am pretty sure W-1 is spending way more.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

You also have IGF which draws halfway decent for the few shows they run but are increasingly more of a hybrid promotion anyway.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
it's really interesting when you try to consider where places draw (DG draws best in Kobe. All Japan just "drew" 1410 in Okinawa this week). Big Japan drew better than NOAH or Wrestle-1 at Korauken last week but it was a bigger card than the others, and All Japan drew under a thousand there the week before. NOAH isn't experiencing any sort of a bounce they wanted with the Suzukigun invasion. If we are just going recent business wise I'd go:

NJPW
DG
DDT
IGF (It's so rare though so that's a caveat with me putting it there)
Big Japan
NOAH
Wrestle-1
All Japan
Garbage Indies/Vanity Feds.

I can't find actual numbers for Zero-One cards so I can't really place them, but they'd be in that Wrestle-1/All Japan tier considering how little buzz they get outside of Masato Tanaka.

MassRafTer posted:

W-1's attendance figures look better than AJPW's when I see them, they just come with the caveat that I am pretty sure W-1 is spending way more.

Mutoh has some high rolling money marks IIRC so it's really their money he's spending.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 10, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

it's really interesting when you try to consider where places draw (DG draws best in Kobe. All Japan just "drew" 1410 in Okinawa this week). Big Japan drew better than NOAH or Wrestle-1 at Korauken last week but it was a bigger card than the others, and All Japan drew under a thousand there the week before. NOAH isn't experience any sort of a bounce they wanted with the Suzukigun invasion. If we are just going recent business wise I'd go:

NJPW
DG
DDT
IGF (It's so rare though so that's a caveat with me putting it there)
Big Japan
NOAH
Wrestle-1
All Japan
Garbage Indies/Vanity Feds.

I can't find actual numbers for Zero-One cards so I can't really place them, but they'd be in that Wrestle-1/All Japan tier considering how little buzz they get outside of Masato Tanaka.

Mutoh has some high rolling money marks IIRC so it's really their money he's spending.

I'd love to know who is backing IGF (besides the obvious.) The amount of money they lose per show has to be staggering. I forget which kickboxer was getting 20K per match but I bet he wasn't the only one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

FMW was a success for two reasons: Onita and garbage wrestling. The martial arts poo poo he attempted early on was a flop. The new styles he tried to incorporate were a flop. If FMW was doing well it was because Onita was on top. This meant lots of insane death matches to cover up his limitations.

One of their biggest drawing shows ever was headlined by Hayabusa vs Mr.Gannosuke. It drew 16,000. That said, it is the exception to the rule.

Edit: What exactly happened with Yoshiko when she shot on her opponent? Why'd they have heat?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 10, 2015

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Edit: What exactly happened with Yoshiko when she shot on her opponent? Why'd they have heat?

They had heat for unknown reasons that basically go back to Yoshiko just not liking her. Then at the last minute the match was changed from non title to a title match with Yoshiko being booked to drop her strap which led to her going into business for herself.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Apparently Morishima has retired or is retiring. Haven't watched him in a long time, but I loved that guy.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

HulkaMatt posted:

Apparently Morishima has retired or is retiring. Haven't watched him in a long time, but I loved that guy.

His matches against KENTA and Yuji Nagata last year for the GHC title are worth checking out. I knew he was hurt but I had no clue it was this bad. NOAH's looking really sad right now, I have no clue who's going to take the belt back from MiSu unless they drag Kobashi out of retirement (which I''d kinda like to see if only because Kaze Ni Nare and Grand Sword would be the best entrance music combo possible).

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Skinty McEdger posted:

They had heat for unknown reasons that basically go back to Yoshiko just not liking her. Then at the last minute the match was changed from non title to a title match with Yoshiko being booked to drop her strap which led to her going into business for herself.
The rumors said it was a title match up until Yoshiko was walking to the ring and protested it, presumably because she was supposed to drop the title to ACT. Everyone knew that the two had really bad blood, but unlike Hart/Michaels, Yoshiko is a lot younger and a lot less willing to be professional and just lost it somewhere in the middle of the match and beat the poo poo out of her. For some reason the owner of the company, sitting ringside, refused to stop the match when the referee was looking to him for what to do, so Kimura, who was in Act's corner threw in the towel as blatantly as possible to stop the match and then everyone pulled Yoshiko off.

Kimura and Act both got a lot of sympathy, Kimura who was known kind of as a legitimate hard-rear end who competed in death matches a lot, and ACT who refused to be taken out of the match screaming "I'm a professional wrestler!"

STARDOM has said that they're not opposed to brining back Yoshiko, but they won't do so until after ACT comes back to the company. Act herself says she hopes that people don't hold this against Yoshiko and hopes they can still be friends despite what's happened, almost as if she's resigned to believing she's the issue here and not a 20 year old immature bully.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

HulkaMatt posted:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/hbkidcool-enuhito/1024912084.html

Apparently it's because of bad blood test results.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Morishima gonna go help Bryan out on his farm.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
the latest AJPW show was really solid from top to bottom. i think they are generally better than NOAH right now.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Morishima looked very silly the last couple years with the blonde bowl cut and the neckbeard. I wish his matches were up to that ROH run but he was still pretty solid

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Spermgod posted:

the latest AJPW show was really solid from top to bottom. i think they are generally better than NOAH right now.

AJPW has kicked rear end this year in-ring, and Shiozaki has been a great TC champ. Too bad they can't draw flies.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I generally like NOAH's big matches more but the rest of the card is a ghost town. AJPW is off to a great start so far

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NOAH's drawn me in due to the Suzuki-gun invasion. I can well believe that AJPW provides a better show on the whole but I really don't care about most of their roster and I watch way too much loving wrestling as is.

I honestly had no clue who the current Triple Crown champ was until a minute ago.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Seeing the recent BJPW show with the Sekimoto/Ishikawa title match (which is great) have a significantly larger Korakuen crowd than the Shiozaki/Miyahara TC match (which is also great) made me kind of sad.

Akiyama needs to start sucking up to Kidani big time.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
It's like, can the promoters really be THIS stubborn? For THIS long?! How the hell are there more heavyweight promotions than 5 years ago rather than less?? It was a joke ten years ago that the worse things got, the more promotions opened... and suddenly I'm thinking about joshi and I don't like where this train of thought leads.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ditch posted:

It's like, can the promoters really be THIS stubborn? For THIS long?! How the hell are there more heavyweight promotions than 5 years ago rather than less?? It was a joke ten years ago that the worse things got, the more promotions opened... and suddenly I'm thinking about joshi and I don't like where this train of thought leads.

Do you think that if all three "major" feds in the AJPW family tree re-combined into one promotion they'd have enough talent to have a shot at returning to some sort of relevance?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I just went to look up to confirm if Zero-One still existed because I couldn't remember.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I just went to look up to confirm if Zero-One still existed because I couldn't remember.

Yep, they have some decent tag matches thanks to being the home of Masato Tanaka at least. Hell, I'm pretty sure that the only mens' feds (I know gently caress all about joshi) to fold in recent years are HUSTLE and the two that Taijiri started after HUSTLE folded (SMASH and Wrestling New Classic). gently caress even on the tiny indie side, Osaka Pro managed to stay alive after originally announcing they were going under.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Now that Kobashi has returned to the fold there could be some small chance of Akiyama working with NOAH at least?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Thauros posted:

Do you think that if all three "major" feds in the AJPW family tree re-combined into one promotion they'd have enough talent to have a shot at returning to some sort of relevance?

Probably, but I don't know if the roster's the problem since they already have solid shows.

If we're talking fewer promotions in general, NJPW should probably just absorb NOAH at this point.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Sasaki also shut down Diamond Ring IIRC.

Spermgod posted:

Now that Kobashi has returned to the fold there could be some small chance of Akiyama working with NOAH at least?

I hope so, since I believe the main issue was that Akiyama loving hated Nakata long before the Kobashi fiasco and he's now out of the picture.

Also because grumpy battlin' old man Akiyama is absolutely wonderful. He would be so great as the NXT end boss.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 21, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I really want to see Akiyama vs Suzuki

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Thauros posted:

Yep, they have some decent tag matches thanks to being the home of Masato Tanaka at least. Hell, I'm pretty sure that the only mens' feds (I know gently caress all about joshi) to fold in recent years are HUSTLE and the two that Taijiri started after HUSTLE folded (SMASH and Wrestling New Classic). gently caress even on the tiny indie side, Osaka Pro managed to stay alive after originally announcing they were going under.

RIP BattleARTS :smith:

Munenori Sawa even retired as a result which is a goddamn shame because gently caress that dude was awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

While it's sad that AJPW's holding Triple Crown matches in Osaka Bodymaker #2 in front of sub ROH sized crowds, I'm at least relieved to find out that Tom Lister isn't competing for the Triple Crown in 2015 and that their Zeus is some Osaka Pro guy.

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=4615&page=20
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hv6dv