Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Alright. Funny bird moment happened just now. I'm watching NBC Sports and they had an ad for a horse race. The ad started with a trumpet playing that Reveille tune. My African Grey IMMEDIATELY started doing it too. It was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Kenshin posted:

But it will murder wild birds and rodents contribute to population declines for species that didn't evolve to deal with large numbers of small feline predators.

And then probably get flattened by a truck but atleast that's better than starving in a cage.

My cats live indoors.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Well, the budgie talk led me down a youtube hole, and I found this video of budgies bathing and then preening each other which is adorable. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiYQuXlwcHM

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Hello Bird Crazies, I recently went to my local Omar's Exotic Birds store and took a few pictures of all the nice birds there:

This is a 40(!!!)-year-old Cockatoo named Gretchen and she is the store's mascot. She seemed pretty friendly and would say "hello" and "hi!" to people around the store. She got very mad at one of the employees when she tried to put more bedding in her little bowl, though.

Here are some young Macaws that were hanging around.

This is where they kept most of the baby :derptiel:s. Most of them were a little skittish but two of them were more than happy to step up on my hand and my girlfriend's hand and receive head scritches :3:

I'm not sure what kind of bird this is (parakeet of some kind?) but he was hanging out in the corner of the cockatiels' area. Seemed to keep mostly to himself.

This little guy's name is Rocky. He's a orange-headed (??? forgot the name on the little sign) Conure and used to live with a family who lived in an apartment complex. Apparently his occasional screams became a nuisance to their neighbors and they had to choose between giving him up or getting evicted :smith: He was pretty sweet though, he would step up to my hand most of the time and only bite me, like, 30% of the time he was there! I was very tempted to try and take him home. Hopefully someone nice does :(

The store also had a bunch of finches and canaries, some budgies, a pair of lovebirds, and a bunch of other birds that I forgot to take pictures of because I was too busy admiring them.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

NeurosisHead posted:

Are budgies the cuddly type of bird? It sounds kind of terrible to say, but I've always thought of them as more of a "decorative" bird than a pet bird. I'm also not a bird person, although some of the ones that display lots of personality interest me (that's why I read this thread).

They're not super cuddlemonsters like lovebirds or conures, but they're really sweet little things. Fuji loves to sit on my shoulder while I'm on the computer, and Hara loves to sing with me when I make dinner. Mine don't love scritches that much, but they're lovely little darlings.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Antoine Silvere posted:

I'm not sure what kind of bird this is (parakeet of some kind?) but he was hanging out in the corner of the cockatiels' area. Seemed to keep mostly to himself.

Quaker parakeet AKA monk parrot AKA invasive species in a large portion of the US.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Grraarrgghh posted:

Quaker parakeet AKA monk parrot AKA invasive species in a large portion of the US.

Its probably called something else, quakers are illegal here in California, I'd doubt Omar's would risk stocking one. Sure looks like one though :iiam:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It doesn't really look like any Quaker I've ever seen

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

It doesn't really look like any Quaker I've ever seen

Yeah, the beak and the colors are way off to me.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

it's a sweet pretty baby is what it is wanna boop it :kimchi:

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
It looks like the blue version of a Quaker parrot to me. :v:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Quakers look like that, it might be a similar sepcies though

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

does anyone have any pet birds that are not parrots

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_parrot

Looks like one of the blue mutations

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Dreggon posted:

I ended up adopting a ringneck dove from a rescue and picking up a pair of diamond doves from a too-crowded pet store. :v:

I am also currently debating getting a GCC or parakeet of some sort but I have enough birds already agggh

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

little_firebird posted:

I ended up adopting a ringneck dove from a rescue and picking up a pair of diamond doves from a too-crowded pet store. :v:

I am also currently debating getting a GCC or parakeet of some sort but I have enough birds already agggh

Diamond doves? No bird can hold a candle! Nothing else is quite the same. Pretty birds, I'll always remember... I still carry such a flame.

Dreggon posted:

Finches, pigeons, and doves are moderately popular pets. Chickens and ducks pop up occasionally, too - my grandma is raising a couple of ducklings to go with her adult goose and duck. :3: I'll ask her if I can share the pictures and video.
They're so small - they hardly quack, it's more like they toot!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I've officially transitioned my GCC to chop! I made about a month's worth in one go. I used apple, yam, carrot, corn, and something else I can't remember. I then used this mold to freeze it into meal-sized nuggets. It only took a day to convince her that it was yummy (I ate more of it than her the first day). I've been weighing her and she's actually gaining weight!

Also she decided that screaming at me whenever I left the room to go to the bathroom was not working, and has reverted to the saddest little teakettle noise :(

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

On Sunday, as soon as he was uncovered at about 9:30 and taken straight to bathroom for the morning routine, Ohtori jumped into the sink and had a bath. At about 4pm, Ohtori started his "time for bath" behaviour, was offered, and had another one. He then joined us in the shower at night for one last bath, because why not I guess

Antoine Silvere posted:

This is where they kept most of the baby :derptiel:s. Most of them were a little skittish but two of them were more than happy to step up on my hand and my girlfriend's hand and receive head scritches :3:

So puffed up and fluffy and ahhh

These stores look amazing, I've never seen any that even get close. I can't decide if Ohtori would be in heaven with all the space and toys and people, or hell with all the other birds to try and murder (unless he counts that as heaven too)

And yeah that blue one is definitely a little Princess parrot http://www.asst.org.au/Gallery%20Files/gallery/bp.jpg

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dreggon posted:

sup

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Antoine Silvere posted:

Hello Bird Crazies, I recently went to my local Omar's Exotic Birds store and took a few pictures of all the nice birds there:

This is a 40(!!!)-year-old Cockatoo named Gretchen and she is the store's mascot. She seemed pretty friendly and would say "hello" and "hi!" to people around the store. She got very mad at one of the employees when she tried to put more bedding in her little bowl, though.

That one isn't local for me, but I did stop by and say hi to Gretchen a few weeks ago. Try cuddling her next time. Little lady practically fell asleep in my arms as I was walking around the store. Perfect birdy fix from a fluffy cockatoo.

My local Omar's has Squirt as the mascot and he's not nearly as cuddly, but super talkative. Mad jealous.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Antoine Silvere posted:

Pretty sure I see Hunter (RIP) and Ellie's long lost siblings there.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I know wild birds are usually out of the domain of this thread, but I found this girl flapping around my parents' open sunroom windows, trying to fly out through the plate glass. They have a cat who likes to hunt so I snagged her and let her go outside before she could get nommed- didn't seem injured, just confused. Anyone have any idea what she is? My best guess is some type of finch but I'm not very familiar with them.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Looks like a sparrow of some sort. What area do you live in?

You might also ask in the birding thread but we'll need a picture of more of the bird to ID it, a lot of sparrow species are notoriously hard to differentiate.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm in SC right now. Thanks for the quick answer, I may pop over there and ask but that's the best photo I have. I didn't want to spend too long taking a picture and stress the poor thing out even more than it already was.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Long shot, but does anyone here have experience of transatlantic (or other long distance) bird transport? We're in the process of trying to move my sister's cockatiel with her from the UK to Canada. We can handle the export/import permits and required vaccinations without any real problem, but I'd be happy to learn from any personal experiences. We've accepted the wee birb will have to go in the pressurised part of the plane's hold, as very few airlines allow birds in the cabin.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
United, AirTran, Delta, and US allow birds in-cabin. You could probably book a flight on Aer Lingus and a connection with United to, say, Vancouver, but I think their policy is hold only.

It's not going to be as bad as you think though. It's just a long, obnoxious process, and your bird will be like "wtf?" when you get her back. I've only ever flown with birds in-cabin so I can't comment on hold travel. She'll be fine though. :)

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

iirc someone (carfax?) had a long series of posts about moving a tiel from Japan to Canada

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

When researching recently how it would look transporting a bird from where I am (in EU) to UK, there wasn't a single airline that allowed in cabin and iirc somewhere said that for such a flight it wasn't even allowed, and birds had to go in the hold. The thought of that honestly scares me :(

zeteki
Apr 14, 2012

subpar anachronism posted:

I know wild birds are usually out of the domain of this thread, but I found this girl flapping around my parents' open sunroom windows, trying to fly out through the plate glass. They have a cat who likes to hunt so I snagged her and let her go outside before she could get nommed- didn't seem injured, just confused. Anyone have any idea what she is? My best guess is some type of finch but I'm not very familiar with them.

A white-throated sparrow! They are lovely little buggers, but I'm biased since I'm studying them for my M.S.

:science: Fun fact, this might look like a female (and very well could be) but this species has two color morphs that can be found in either sex. This one is a tan-striped morph, which is duller and less aggressive than the brighter white-striped morph. A white-striped male will almost always mate with a tan-striped female, and vice-versa. Birds are weird.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Thanks for the info! I didn't stop to think that it might be a male of a species that isn't vividly coloured. :downs:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Don't feel bad, I totally assumed it was a girl too!

Also, all of Ama's missing tailfeathers are coming in at the same time and he looks ridiculous.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Half butt birb

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I did a dramatic re-enactment of your brave rescue!

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

This is awesome! What is his/her name? We need more pictures of this awesomeness! Sorry if you've posted before, but I'm new to the thread.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Pile of Kittens posted:

I've officially transitioned my GCC to chop! I made about a month's worth in one go. I used apple, yam, carrot, corn, and something else I can't remember. I then used this mold to freeze it into meal-sized nuggets. It only took a day to convince her that it was yummy (I ate more of it than her the first day). I've been weighing her and she's actually gaining weight!

Also she decided that screaming at me whenever I left the room to go to the bathroom was not working, and has reverted to the saddest little teakettle noise :(

Can you tell me more about this? How do you know how much to give daily? I want to go as natural as possible for our new birds. Thanks!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

mombot posted:

This is awesome! What is his/her name? We need more pictures of this awesomeness! Sorry if you've posted before, but I'm new to the thread.
Mindo is a thread celebrity! Hit the question mark under H110Hawk or Staryberry's usernames and you can see a lot more, including videos of Mindo sounding like a wee ghostie :3:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

mombot posted:

Can you tell me more about this? How do you know how much to give daily? I want to go as natural as possible for our new birds. Thanks!

I gave too much every day and scaled down slowly. I still give a bit of an excess. Apparently she doesn't eat as much of the chop, but she's heavier now, so it must be much more nutritious than the pellets. However, now the pellets are an Exciting Treat! Handy.

edit: the only other tip I have is to not take away pellets entirely, but serve them at the end of the day so they're still getting whatever nutrients your chop is lacking. Also rotating the recipe frequently is a good idea. I made way too much, even with just one of each ingredient. Oh, right, the thing I was forgetting was a can of black beans and some white rice.

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 22, 2015

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Does anyone else have a birb that ferociously defends their turds from being cleaned up?

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Bird always has to console herself after Foot Torture by tucking herself up under my hair and having an extra intense snuggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

mikerock posted:

Does anyone else have a birb that ferociously defends their turds from being cleaned up?

How could you, those were still good! You're just jealous you can't excrete your own food. :colbert: