Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Check out this sick-rear end burnout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUck3iRxpgI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010

Powershift posted:

buy cola, and set your quick action to drink cola. If you're using a controller, quick action is clicking both sticks.

How do you set your quick action?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fishstick posted:

Finishing first in a race with 2 or more people in it. You can win-trade by doing one-lap races with a friend on Criminal records - takes about 40 seconds for each race, loading times not included. Keep in mind that some requirements require you to win races in that car's specific class (sports/super/etc) as well

No no no! When it says "wins in this class" what it means is wins in land races, as opposed to sea and air races. If you win 50 races with compact cars, it'll still unlock everything possible for the super class etc.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Sultan is a great goddamn car, thanks OP.

Nintendo Kid posted:

No no no! When it says "wins in this class" what it means is wins in land races, as opposed to sea and air races. If you win 50 races with compact cars, it'll still unlock everything possible for the super class etc.

...Why is this not made clear in game.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Roshambo posted:

How do you set your quick action?

it's one of the menu options in the root of the interaction menu. most of the options are various taunts.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

CJ posted:

I don't think i'm ever going to do that as a prisoner again. If the guards would either drop a scoped weapon for me or aim for the head themselves it would be easy, but trying to snipe people with a pistol or smg from such a far distance that the resolution of the game is inhibiting your ability to aim while the pubbie guard unloads clip into their ankles is pure torture.

Just ask the guard to drop you a rifle and 1000 rounds of rifle ammo and it's cake.

geeves posted:

Top speed, turbo, engine and transmission mods only make a difference in Freeroam or a race without catchup and slipstream. When catchup in on and you're in the lead you can hear your engine drop ~1000rpm and notice your speed slow down. I would be interested to see a video measure the speed difference in that scenario.

I don't agree that Top speed, turbo, engine and transmission mods only make a difference in Freeroam or a race without catchup and slipstream. I agree they make less of a difference, but they can still make an impact. At the beginning of the race if you are modded and the rest of the field isn't you can pull away from them a good deal until they start loving with each other and cement your lead. Likewise if you gently caress up the extra acceleration lets you lose less ground than an unmodded car. Also, how easily a car can hot or maintain top speed is dependent on those factors. A modded car will hit his top speed faster and maintain it easier through maneuvering even with catchup on.

That being said catch up on has a hilarious side effect on a lot of races. The car in front that is slowed down can take what would otherwise be difficult high speed corners easily and trivially. Very technical tracks become easier for the car in the lead because they just can't carry as much momentum. This is amusing but neither here nor there so much, because the guy int he lead likely can drive because he is in the lead. The cars not in the lead however get a speed boost meaning that even normally competent drivers now can't make corners the way they have tens or hundreds of times in the past. This makes faster than normal players pinball off of things and wreck in ways they never would
have normally with the unintentional side effect that with catch up on, on technical tracks, the leader often sails slowly into the sunset.

FYI: Races are 99% won in the ability to corner.

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is 100% true, and yeah, it could have been explained clearer in the game.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 21, 2015

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

BitBasher posted:

Races are 1% ability to corner and 99% getting the gently caress away from everyone as fast as possible. I have never lost a race where I got away from the pack at the first turn.

Re: car stats, car stats hardly matter. Max out whatever you like to drive and use that. On PS4 I regularly won playlists using cars other than the agreed-upon "best in class" car.

Also don't do super class races, they're terrible.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Offroad wheels are also much better than other wheels for racing. They make curb hopping and offroad bumps far less dangerous.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Funky Valentine posted:

...Why is this not made clear in game.

The problem is different classes like sedan, sports etc do have different number of races to unlock a given upgrade (eg turbo might unlock at 24 wins for a sedan and 30 wins for super) and they didn't come up with a clear way to say "you need more wins to unlock this widget in this class".

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
My absolute favorite thing to do online now us drive around and pick up pubbies who are on crime sprees in the armored Kuruma. I pull up and honk invitingly offering salvation from the police, drive them to another robbery or other illicit activity to build a bond of trust and a higher wanted level, then drive straight to a police station and force the car empty and watch them get hosed to death in the middle of the street by 30 cops.

I'm gonna miss when all the lobbies average player level goes up past 20. This is a golden age my friends.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
TONIGHT: 8 or 9 PM CST

The great police chase.

Premise: Goons, get together on mumble. We will coordinate a five star police chase and see if we can make it all the way through the state following the highway (no copping out such as driving on the railway). We can kick it off with a gas station robbery or some such. We'll need

2xArmored Kuruma's
2xPickups (Sadler, Guardian, etc)
2xVans

These vehicles I feel best maximize our potential to totally make it around the state. The ending would be flying off at Los Santos international in a Titan. I think this would be a lot of fun and different from the norm of heists!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Top Hats Monthly posted:

The great police chase.

Premise: Goons, get together on mumble. We will coordinate a five star police chase and see if we can make it all the way through the state following the highway (no copping out such as driving on the railway). We can kick it off with a gas station robbery or some such. We'll need

2xArmored Kuruma's
2xVans

These vehicles I feel best maximize our potential to totally make it around the state. The ending would be flying off at Los Santos international in a Titan. I think this would be a lot of fun and different from the norm of heists!

this sounds baller

I can provide either a kuruma or an insurgent

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also please do events like this after tonight because this woudl be great

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I can bring a guardian for a truck. Insurgents/Technicals would be very appreciated.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my insurgent has a sad trombone horn

it owns

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
The poor guys in the trucks and vans don't stand a chance. That said, I have a fully-modified Sadler and I will certainly come along as a driver. Or if no one has a modded van with bulletproof tires, I'll buy one.

edit: I also have an Insurgent and Technical, and would bring either. When it's closer to game time I'll try to fill whatever hole we have.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 21, 2015

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

Akion posted:

You want your highest levels as the guard and prisoner. They have the most health and weapons, and can carry the most extra armor.

Pilot gets in the plain, and doesn't fly past the Vinewood sign until the timer is at 1 minute (Jets won't spawn until he is past the sign). When the jets come, the pilot flies behind them, they only spawn one at a time and the AI will just constantly fly in circles unable to shoot the jet (do this over the Alamo Sea, or the jets will shoot at the Demolition guy)

Demolitions hovers outside of the prison (stay outside the ring road, if you get too close the prison has SAM batteries that will take you out) shooting NOOSE guys to help cover the Prisoner/Prison Guards escape.

Yeah, that was one of the major hindrances. Our two lowest levels were the ones on Guard and Prisoner duty (we were thinking their part was a sneaking mission going into it blind...). But everything else you described is exactly what we figured out after a few bouts of trial and error (predominantly error). The plan that finally worked in the end, for us, was landing the chopper in the prison's parking lot, getting the crew aboard it, then playing Han Solo through downtown LS while the jet landed at LS airport's main runway. The mission never said which airport we had to go to, after all...

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

BitBasher posted:

I don't agree that Top speed, turbo, engine and transmission mods only make a difference in Freeroam or a race without catchup and slipstream. I agree they make less of a difference, but they can still make an impact. At the beginning of the race if you are modded and the rest of the field isn't you can pull away from them a good deal until they start loving with each other and cement your lead. Likewise if you gently caress up the extra acceleration lets you lose less ground than an unmodded car. Also, how easily a car can hot or maintain top speed is dependent on those factors. A modded car will hit his top speed faster and maintain it easier through maneuvering even with catchup on.

That being said catch up on has a hilarious side effect on a lot of races. The car in front that is slowed down can take what would otherwise be difficult high speed corners easily and trivially. Very technical tracks become easier for the car in the lead because they just can't carry as much momentum. This is amusing but neither here nor there so much, because the guy int he lead likely can drive because he is in the lead. The cars not in the lead however get a speed boost meaning that even normally competent drivers now can't make corners the way they have tens or hundreds of times in the past. This makes faster than normal players pinball off of things and wreck in ways they never would
have normally with the unintentional side effect that with catch up on, on technical tracks, the leader often sails slowly into the sunset.

I guess I meant to say that stats and mods don't mean dick if you can't drive. I said half of it. Oh well :v:

I've been using my ALT for racing on PC (so I don't get kicked) and driving completely stock cars - since I don't have any and my garage is still filled with Dubstas that I keep forgetting to sell.

I'll have to test that out about cornering while in first when I get a chance. I just usually drive as I normally do so I don't do something stupid and make a mistake. The last few days have been races featuring long straights but giving ample pitting opportunity.

Slim Killington posted:

Races are 1% ability to corner and 99% getting the gently caress away from everyone as fast as possible. I have never lost a race where I got away from the pack at the first turn.

This is also true. The other option is if you're on the back row to start slowly and wait for the field to collapse in on itself a few hundred yards into the race. Get through that wreckage, you're probably sitting in at least 2nd or 3rd.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Already so sick of Route 68 and I've only been racing for one evening.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Slim Killington posted:

I'll try to fill whatever hole we have.

:heysexy:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

EL Bombastico posted:

I needed play tennis to complete a daily objective and luckily i get a pubbie to join a game. It was a long match (7-6 tie break win for me). I was gonna give him a thumbs up but as soon as we drop back into freeroam, what do I get? This:

http://xboxclips.com/Trebag/2c5eb685-b026-4fab-bcbf-d37c019a4f73

Lesson here? Never EVER give pubbies a chance.

:love: flare gun :love: http://xboxclips.com/Trebag/2c88a07b-d514-42d5-8c8c-1d087a8359cd

I'm pretty sure I ran a bunch of races with that guy last night- or at least I think I did. He was the only person playing worse than me, and he'd bitch about every round.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
psa: never use catchup on slipstream on a race

at the very least no catchup

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Top Hats Monthly posted:

The great police chase.

2xArmored Kuruma's
2xVans

What's the mumble.

I don't have any of those vehicles (well, I have a Bodhi but that's not exactly the best getaway truck), but I'm really goddamn good at holding up Kwik-E-Marts.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mudlark posted:

Yeah, that was one of the major hindrances. Our two lowest levels were the ones on Guard and Prisoner duty (we were thinking their part was a sneaking mission going into it blind...). But everything else you described is exactly what we figured out after a few bouts of trial and error (predominantly error). The plan that finally worked in the end, for us, was landing the chopper in the prison's parking lot, getting the crew aboard it, then playing Han Solo through downtown LS while the jet landed at LS airport's main runway. The mission never said which airport we had to go to, after all...

My most successful run, i was the pilot. i steered the jet around in circles staying behind him. The demo guy took the heli, hovered outside the prison and cleared out most of the bad guys for the ground team. Once the prison guys were near the exit i landed in the field north of the prison, they drove to it, and we flew straight to freedom.
Once the prison dudes hit the yellow marker on the way out, the jet crashes on it's own. if the pilot stays behind the jet, demo is free to help the inner prison dudes.

Slim Killington posted:

Re: car stats, car stats hardly matter. Max out whatever you like to drive and use that. On PS4 I regularly won playlists using cars other than the agreed-upon "best in class" car.

Also don't do super class races, they're terrible.

races are 63% avoiding the first turn pile-up, 47% avoiding getting pitted, and 10% math.

Modded vehicles make a big difference against evenly matched opponents, and help immensely diving around the first corner before the full contact crew turn it into a parking lot.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Funky Valentine posted:

What's the mumble.

I don't have any of those vehicles (well, I have a Bodhi but that's not exactly the best getaway truck), but I'm really goddamn good at holding up Kwik-E-Marts.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714380

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Should I strive to build up a custom car? I personally feel like turning off customs and catchup with every race I'm in. Are there good races to be had with customs? Seems like it'd just be a contest of who went through the most grind to date.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
All all-custom race is effectively the exact same thing as an all-stock race. Just do custom cars off if you don't personally want to own a custom vehicle for each class. Having your own cars doesn't improve or change the race in any way, just the speed.

Horse Factory, however, pretty much requires custom vehicles.

My God there are so many of you now that have no idea what you're in for. I cannot wait for another playlist.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

My game just crashed and Rockstar Social Club notified me that my account was accessed from another location. I decided to head over to the social club website and change my password upon reading this notification. I should be good now, right? Changed the email too to be sure.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zigmidge posted:

Should I strive to build up a custom car? I personally feel like turning off customs and catchup with every race I'm in. Are there good races to be had with customs? Seems like it'd just be a contest of who went through the most grind to date.

get a custom car because they are fun and good but don't feel compelled to race with them

i dont

I think non custom is a lot more fun

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Minorkos posted:

My game just crashed and Rockstar Social Club notified me that my account was accessed from another location. I decided to head over to the social club website and change my password upon reading this notification. I should be good now, right? Changed the email too to be sure.

you should be fine

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I feel like armored kuruma is a dumb vehicle.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zigmidge posted:

You should, because custom cars make going around the world in general and doing missions much more pleasant. Particularly getting bulletproof tires on your cars.

Also once you manage 50 races won, you'll have pretty much everything unlocked so you won't be at a disadvantage in anything.

I also recommend buying or garaging a Vapid Sadler and customing it up so that if you ever do a utility class race you'll be able to use it and win handily.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

The great police chase.

2xArmored Kuruma's
2xVans

This sounds great. I can bring a Karuma or Weazel News van and an Insurgent w/ Turret.

Slim Killington posted:

All all-custom race is effectively the exact same thing as an all-stock race. Just do custom cars off if you don't personally want to own a custom vehicle for each class. Having your own cars doesn't improve or change the race in any way, just the speed.

Horse Factory, however, pretty much requires custom vehicles.

My God there are so many of you now that have no idea what you're in for. I cannot wait for another playlist.

Horse Factory definitely needs bullet proof tires. But that bottleneck is just a bloodbath. I don't know if Rat Supremacy is moving over to PC. I actually didn't see him online for a few weeks. I could try to recreate it, but it would never be as good as the original.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

I feel like armored kuruma is a dumb vehicle.

I feel like you're wrong.

It murders missions, and pubbies have to spend $7k to destroy it if you harass them with it.

If someone is going after you with it, shoot on either side of the little windshields. either the center, or the a pillars.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

If we could get someone in a jet or hydra to bust roadblocks that would be cool, and good.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
SMH if you really need help clearing out the prison and surviving.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Powershift posted:

I feel like you're wrong.

It murders missions, and pubbies have to spend $7k to destroy it if you harass them with it.

If someone is going after you with it, shoot on either side of the little windshields. either the center, or the a pillars.

It makes missions trivial, you literally can't die. I mean I guess if that's your thing whatever, but it just makes every mission a drive in the park, it feels very boring to me. Like I said, its a game play it how you will.

What bothers me if PVP with the kuruma, you say shooting in the center is easy, like "Oh yeah just shoot through the tiny tiny holes and you're fine". Even with mouse its nearly impossible to use anything but explosives to kill an enemy player.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

geeves posted:

Horse Factory definitely needs bullet proof tires. But that bottleneck is just a bloodbath. I don't know if Rat Supremacy is moving over to PC. I actually didn't see him online for a few weeks. I could try to recreate it, but it would never be as good as the original.

I don't know why I expected custom races to be available on any console. That is disheartening.

You have to bring a WEZL fan on the cross-country police chase! We can pretend we've got state secrets to leak on the news.

Knifegrab posted:

It makes missions trivial, you literally can't die. I mean I guess if that's your thing whatever, but it just makes every mission a drive in the park, it feels very boring to me. Like I said, its a game play it how you will.

For players who've done all of these missions literally hundreds of times now, an easy mode car is a blessing. We had gotten to the point of doing them clockwork anyway and were just doing them back to back to pile up money. If they were all new to me, I wouldn't want to cheese through them quickly either. But a hundred levels later, I love the easy mode car.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 21, 2015

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:

geeves posted:

This sounds great. I can bring a Karuma or Weazel News van and an Insurgent w/ Turret.

I'm probably going to be picking this game up on PC a month so at least you'll be able to play Slip 'n' Slide again! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is there an easy way to join player created races, etc?

I would like to make my own races and stuff but get an idea of things people have done with custom races before

• Locked thread