Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Prince John posted:

This highlights the real problem, which is the small size of high-skilled manual crafting industries. In a service based economy, it's inevitable that 'apprenticeships' are going to be bullshit things like sandwhich artistry. There's something like two blacksmiths in my entire county.
Yeah but skilled builders of whatever type are wanted aren't they. Electrician, plasterer, carpenter, scaffolder etc etc, you could include IT poo poo like network installation in that really couldn't you. These sorts of things need a couple of years experience to be actually good at them instead of a cowboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

winegums posted:

Also so happy to see the Tories are struggling this much to put feet on ground. [Maybe they should use workfare

I'm actually a little surprised that in the kafka-esque nightmare that is workfare, we haven't seen a job like that being listed (and someone being sanctioned for not taking it)

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

winegums posted:

IDS and Gove are thick. They don't realise how incompetent they are, but I think Green does. He knows he's a fraud, you can see it in his poo poo-eating smirk, but he keeps going regardless.

I don't think IDS is thick per se, but he is horribly evil and a total loving coward to boot. Rather, and as someone suggested on here years ago, it's as though he has some horrible secrets on other members of his party that allows him to dictate where he stands in the party (including making him of all people party leader at one point).

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

It's no surprise Tories have no ground game you can't really hire activists and I can't imagine many of their members would deign to go door to door talking to people, who knows who will open the door

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Phoon posted:

It's no surprise Tories have no ground game you can't really hire activists and I can't imagine many of their members would deign to go door to door talking to people, who knows who will open the door

The butler obviously :confused:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You could offer apprenticeships in literally anything, the point is to learn skilled work while on the job, and get paid for it. BT is offering a bunch of apprenticeship positions to train people up in various technical roles, so it doesn't just need to be traditional trade work. The world's changed a fair bit and so has the work that's available to people, so you need to offer a wider range of opportunities for people getting on the ladder. You don't really need many blacksmiths because it's not an industry anymore, it's a niche

Reminds me of that bit in Paul O'Grady's series where he went to some office to talk to a bunch of kids in a call centre, and not one of them identified as working class, just because they perceived it as people working in factories and down the mines. Hey man, I work at a desk ok??

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Tebbit claimed that today's party leaders have no real life skills, but the LibDems respectfully disagree:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

KKKlean Energy posted:

The butler obviously :confused:
I thought it was the nanny?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Well played Lib Dems, well played...

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Phoon posted:

The logistics bit of how the young repubs would pay the 1700 quid has been removed from the website, it's entirely possible this is a fare-and-board canvassing/networking jaunt for them. Functionally it would be the same as hiring activists and it's not like the Tories don't have quids to burn.

Young Republicans have always struck me as more aspirational middle class than Wealthy, it's a bit tinfoil but I can't see many of them dropping $2000 to help a losing government that desperately photo ops with Obama of their own volition.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

tooterfish posted:

Sorry, but you don't vote for kings (with poo poo swords!).

The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth would like a word with you (from beyond the grave).

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
All of my friends are suddenly, instantly Very Political and opinionated, but of course none of them gives a poo poo the other 4.9 years out of the cycle.

I'm struggling and wavering between happy that they're engaged and frustrated at how clueless and uninformed most of them are. One of them didn't know that you vote for your local candidate, she thought you just vote for the party. I can't blame her really. I don't think these things are ever explained to people in school. Is Civics a thing in schools?

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 21, 2015

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Oberleutnant posted:

All of my friends are suddenly, instantly Very Political and opinionated, but of course none of them gives a poo poo the other 4.9 years out of the cycle.

Which is pretty much how politicians want them to be, so they're doing their job great.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

In a hiring position at a mid sized software company I would love to get talented 16-18 year olds who I could teach to write good software using good habits and not the 21-22 year old grads who have a bunch of academic crap shoved in their heads I need to make them forget before I can teach them how we write software outside of a lab with someone who has never delivered a usable product. Of course my bosses want the degree before they let anyone in through the door. Even if I could there would be very few takers because everyone has it driven into them that they have to get a degree or forever will they flip burgers or collect rubbish which sadly is not far from the truth because again since a large percentage of the population now have a degree of some kind it raises the bar for entry to non poo poo careers.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Not at all serious, but I did find this youtube video vaguely amusing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdHreNvohMo

Reminds me of all those times a dick in a BMW will bomb it down the empty lane and cut in at the last minute.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Chocolate Teapot posted:

I don't think IDS is thick per se, but he is horribly evil and a total loving coward to boot. Rather, and as someone suggested on here years ago, it's as though he has some horrible secrets on other members of his party that allows him to dictate where he stands in the party (including making him of all people party leader at one point).

I do like that, through admission, you totally agree that Gove is as thick as a concrete milkshake.

BigPaddy posted:

In a hiring position at a mid sized software company I would love to get talented 16-18 year olds who I could teach to write good software using good habits and not the 21-22 year old grads who have a bunch of academic crap shoved in their heads I need to make them forget before I can teach them how we write software outside of a lab with someone who has never delivered a usable product. Of course my bosses want the degree before they let anyone in through the door. Even if I could there would be very few takers because everyone has it driven into them that they have to get a degree or forever will they flip burgers or collect rubbish which sadly is not far from the truth because again since a large percentage of the population now have a degree of some kind it raises the bar for entry to non poo poo careers.

As someone qualified, but without a degree, in IT, I can tell you that a solid 90% of IT careers above data entry now require a degree just as a matter of course.

Because from an employer's perspective, why bother with someone who hasn't been to uni, when there's a massive pool of those who have?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Oberleutnant posted:

I'm struggling and wavering between happy that they're engaged and frustrated at how clueless and uninformed most of them are. One of them didn't know that you vote for your local candidate, she thought you just vote for the party. I can't blame her really. I don't think these things are ever explained to people in school. Is Civics a thing in schools?

Ditto with my friends, and it goes in loving cycles.

They don't even know what the parties stand for, or their manifestos. One of them was going to vote BNP one year, because he liked the sound of "More Jobs for British People". He was completely ignorant of what they actually were. :psyduck:

Managed to talk him out of it, and he's a bit more aware now, but christ...

I believe they attempted to teach it in Citizenship, but from my hazy memory they didn't go into any great depths, and glossed over how the UK political system actually functions.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I remember when I was 18 a friend couldnt decide whether to vote BNP or Communist in the welsh assembly election.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I got a lot out of Modern Studies in school. Doing (ok, winning) a mock election was one of my fondest memories of that era, and the Higher Modern Studies work on things like voting systems, the media, how laws are made, lobbying, etc. was all really interesting. Was a hugely popular course at my school.

Engage!
Apr 21, 2011
Don't know if anyone's already posted this but I thought it was interesting. An article about how the Tories have sabotaged their chances of staying in government democratically, and how they're trying to hang on anyway.

Vice posted:

The British Establishment Is Losing Its poo poo at the Thought of a Labour-SNP Government

Unwilling to let go of their power to give their mates Peerages, and with outright contempt for democratic norms, the Tories killed the Bill. As a result the Lib Dems blocked Tory plans for reforming the constituency boundaries – vital in a system as warped as first-past-the-post. The remaining boundaries give Labour a big inbuilt advantage – they can get more seats even with fewer votes than the Conservatives. By refusing to allow even entirely orthodox, run of the mill democratic reforms – like an elected second chamber – and therefore causing a Lib Dem backlash, the Tories may have put the final nail in their own coffin.

The Tories look set to be hoist by at least three of their own petards – failing to secure boundary reform, blocking a referendum on Proportional Representation and the Fixed Term Parliaments Act.

On Sunday, the "coup" stepped up a gear. In a fascinating piece in the Sunday Times, we learn that the Queen – who technically has the power to choose who forms the government – has had to make clear she will not get involved in propping up a government that does not have the support of the majority of MPs. It stresses that we don't know whether it's Miliband or Cameron who asked the question, but there is one revealing quote from a Palace source: "Cameron remains Prime Minister but he can't borrow the Queen for support".

There's good reason for believing the real story here is that it is the Conservatives who have approached the Palace about shoring up a potential Tory minority government that cannot command a majority.

People should be in no doubt how far the Tories, the City and the right-wing press will go to get their man in. Nick Clegg is already describing the SNP's participation in government as "illegitimate" – essentially saying a democratically elected party shouldn't be allowed in government because he doesn't like them. Should a Labour-SNP majority be the outcome of the election, we can expect to hear a lot more of that, as the Conservatives try and undermine the British electorate's decision – voiced through a crooked system that they tried so hard to save – so that they stay in power.

If Buckingham Palace can be convinced – through the creation of an atmosphere where a Labour-SNP coalition is considered unthinkable – to retain Cameron above a Labour leader that can command a majority in the House, that really would be a power grab that would raise eyebrows in a banana republic. It would make a total mockery of the British "constitution". The fact that the Palace have even had to brief against the idea – that it's even a possibility to the Conservatives that the Palace would overrule the electorate – is astonishing. Yet it seems likely that is exactly what the Tories have been sounding out.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I remember when I was 18 a friend couldnt decide whether to vote BNP or Communist in the welsh assembly election.

:allears: amazing.

Engage! posted:

Don't know if anyone's already posted this but I thought it was interesting. An article about how the Tories have sabotaged their chances of staying in government democratically, and how they're trying to hang on anyway.

This is a fun article and the video is extremely :unsmigghh:

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I'm going to spend election night at a wheat beer festival in Bavaria, I suspect I wont actually follow what's happening.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

StoneOfShame posted:

I'm going to spend election night at a wheat beer festival in Bavaria, I suspect I wont actually follow what's happening.

If UKIP win, you won't be allowed back :smith:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Because from an employer's perspective, why bother with someone who hasn't been to uni, when there's a massive pool of those who have?

This is the very argument I have. I want to get a few kids out of their A-levels because if they survived A level Maths/Physics/Computing or even a BTEC or whatever it is called now they will be just as useful to me as someone with a degree in computer science because I don't need them to now how to write stuff in any number of languages that never see the light of day outside of a Uni lab such as Haskell or Oberon but if they have a bit of C knowledge I can get them on to C#.net fairly quickly and teach them end to end development processes to produce good code. Uni grads come along and know many things, MANY things. They are unfortunately mostly worthless things.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

BigPaddy posted:

BigPaddy posted:

This is the very argument I have. I want to get a few kids out of their A-levels because if they survived A level Maths/Physics/Computing or even a BTEC or whatever it is called now they will be just as useful to me as someone with a degree in computer science because I don't need them to now how to write stuff in any number of languages that never see the light of day outside of a Uni lab such as Haskell or Oberon but if they have a bit of C knowledge I can get them on to C#.net fairly quickly and teach them end to end development processes to produce good code. Uni grads come along and know many things, MANY things. They are unfortunately mostly worthless things.
how much do you pay your fresh programming grads

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Acaila posted:

I got a lot out of Modern Studies in school. Doing (ok, winning) a mock election was one of my fondest memories of that era, and the Higher Modern Studies work on things like voting systems, the media, how laws are made, lobbying, etc. was all really interesting. Was a hugely popular course at my school.

Yeah, I got a lot out of Modern Studies in high school, this would have been around 2003. In particular my first understanding of how mediocre our electoral system is. (I was the kind of kid who could have opinions about electoral systems, yes.) We also had a mock election where most groups just voted for themselves and I think the one with the most popular kids in it ended up winning, so a fairly good reflection of the democratic process, I guess.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

BigPaddy posted:

programming is something that's probably best done as an apprenticeship but good software engineering/computer science does need a lot of theory.

i'm curious what your starting salaries are

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

BigPaddy posted:

But they won't know Dijkstra's algorithm.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Kegluneq posted:

If UKIP win, you won't be allowed back :smith:

Then I will just live with the Bavarians.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Prince John posted:

Not at all serious, but I did find this youtube video vaguely amusing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdHreNvohMo

Reminds me of all those times a dick in a BMW will bomb it down the empty lane and cut in at the last minute.

Video Title posted:

Dashcam Catches Moment Driver Deliberately Blocks Off Motorist

Description posted:

Video: Dashcam Catches Moment Driver Deliberately Blocks Off Motorist
Moment driver deliberately blocks off sneaky motorist who was trying to beat traffic jam with undertaking manoeuvre - forcing him to wait ten minutes like everyone else Mercedes driver tried to avoid a traffic jam on the M58 in Merseyside Attempted to undertake the queuing traffic on the road's outside lane But one driver wasn't happy and blocked the Mercedes from getting ahead Pair repeatedly began to swerve as the Mercedes tried to get past
Traffic had started to build up on the M58 around Switch Island on Merseyside, when a Mercedes tried to beat the jam by undertaking but was repeatedly blocked by another driver. The swerving goes back and forwards for over a minute before both drivers wind down their windows to confront each other with neither letting up.
Watch: Video: Dashcam Catches Moment Driver Deliberately Blocks Off Motorist
# Dashcam Catches Moment Driver Deliberately Blocks Off Motorist

First and only comment posted:

GO NEWS Shared on Google+ · 1 hour ago

I think I need more information as to what this video is about frankly.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Angepain posted:

Yeah, I got a lot out of Modern Studies in high school, this would have been around 2003. In particular my first understanding of how mediocre our electoral system is. (I was the kind of kid who could have opinions about electoral systems, yes.) We also had a mock election where most groups just voted for themselves and I think the one with the most popular kids in it ended up winning, so a fairly good reflection of the democratic process, I guess.

Oh, I can trace all of my opinions of voting systems back to that Higher unit! I think I still remember a lot of the examples too. Definitely wrote about the French presidential elections and Le Pen a lot!

I don't really understand how ours didn't work like that, because everyone in the class was assigned to a party and you'd assume they'd just vote for themselves. In any case, if a nerd like me won, it definitely wasn't a popularity contest! Like I say, we were assigned parties, and I got SNP and just did the whole manifesto and hustings around independence. Must have had a particularly patriotic class! I do remember the kids who got assigned to the Tories being miserable about it though! Who says 13 year olds don't understand politics?!

My old mod studs teacher posted up a picture of our trip to the newly opened (not even officially opened then) Scottish Parliament building. So young! And that was just some of the politicians!

Another absolutely fabulous thing we did at school was a media unit in Standard Grade English where we did a comparison of broadsheet and tabloid journalism, focusing on Falklands War coverage. I'm not even convinced it was an official part of the course, but our teacher was super passionate and effective about it. I've got really vivid memories of her deconstruction of the Sun's "Gotcha" headline. Political and media literacy is super important to teach kids imo.

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009
I'm not in Computer Science, but is it not a deep enough field that it would almost never be in the interest of a profit-motivated company to take the time to teach you it properly?

"C# is a multi-paradigm programming language encompassing strong typing, imperative, declarative, functional, generic, object-oriented (class-based), and component-oriented programming disciplines."

Is a profit-motivated company going to take the time to ensure you have a solid grasp of what those adjectives mean? Half of it might be useless to the job at hand but who knows what parts are going come in and out of relevance over the course of a 40+ year career.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Prince John posted:

I thought zipper merging was more efficient and kept traffic moving better. The guy who pulls out seems pretty clearly in the wrong to me.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ludicro posted:

I think I need more information as to what this video is about frankly.
The left hand lane is blocked ahead, the guy was undertaking at speed and going to cut in at the last minute (people doing that is probably part of the reason the right hand lane is deadlocked in the first place).

Batman decides he's had enough, and goes all vigilante by blocking the left hand lane with his coursaBatmobile. Hilarity ensues. The video really needed the yakety sax soundtrack though.

edit:redundant decides. Also, I may be wrong about zipper merging, but jumping a queue is un-British.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 21, 2015

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

I thought zipper merging was more efficient and kept traffic moving better. The guy who pulls out seems pretty clearly in the wrong to me.
It's not 2 lanes merging to one,

It's a queue of traffic that has been clearly signposted for probly half a mile, and the guy is trying to cut-in the line as the last moment.
He's an arsehole.

You quite often see Big Trucks straddling lanes to stop this happening as well.

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

Renfield posted:

You quite often see Big Trucks straddling lanes to stop this happening as well.

My mind has been blown. I though they did that for visibility out the mirrors or something,

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

booked May 8th off. I'm going to be drinking hard, bring on the Chaos :unsmigghh:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Aromatic Stretch posted:

I'm not in Computer Science, but is it not a deep enough field that it would almost never be in the interest of a profit-motivated company to take the time to teach you it properly?

"C# is a multi-paradigm programming language encompassing strong typing, imperative, declarative, functional, generic, object-oriented (class-based), and component-oriented programming disciplines."

Is a profit-motivated company going to take the time to ensure you have a solid grasp of what those adjectives mean? Half of it might be useless to the job at hand but who knows what parts are going come in and out of relevance over the course of a 40+ year career.

You don't need to really know the definitions of any of that so long as you know how to write C#. I am living proof.

I don't have a CompSci degree, I have maths so I don't necessarily have the theoretical grounding that my colleagues do but they forgot most of that stuff the moment they graduated and I got to the level they started at in like a month or two. So much is learnt just by doing and by reading around when trying to find a solution, though I'll grant that a lot of jobs won't cover the same breadth of development that mine does so maybe not everyone will have that experience.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Engage! posted:

I mean, let's be clear, this is not going to happen. Labour has been extremely careful to avoid ruling out agreements short of a coalition with the SNP, and the tory press can crow all they like about it, but unless the Tories can command a majority in a confidence vote there is no way for Cameron to remain prime minister. The most the press can do on this is delegitimise a Labour government enough to force a second election, they can't put the Tories back in power by media opinion alone.

If the current coalition, or I dunno, some frankenstein Con-UKIP-LibDem-DUP combination could command a majority of MPs at least for a confidence vote, then sure, a Conservative minority government could happen, but if the votes aren't there, there's no way the conservatives are going to pull an actual real coup by staying in power illegally. That's even less likely than a Grand Coalition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Aromatic Stretch posted:

Those terms might sound fancy but they pretty much describe the ways you get on with doing things, so you'll pick it up on the job. Plus it's partly describing the language, so even if you don't know what a 'strongly typed' language is, you'll understand it when someone points out the way you've been forced to write the whole time

They want you to be able to work in teams and get things done, so it's definitely in their interest to at least get you up to speed with the basics, if they've hired you. Computer science is a scientific field, but it's not necessary for software development, so you're probably not going to get too many companies caring enough to get people qualified in a scientific discipline, when they just want you to bang together some functionality and fix someone else's terrible code to avoid everything falling over for another month

• Locked thread