Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rirse posted:

Up to the training with Mr Popo part of the Piccolo Jr Saga, and I can see why Abridged makes Popo be creepy. Especially him just making the bizzare rear end Goku Doll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's only the long running adaptations that tend to be bad; most shounen anime are usually at least good until the lovely filler ending (with the occasional anime with a good filler ending (FMA) or a good stopping point (HxH 2011). And even then the One Piece anime was fantastic until about the CP9 saga.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Isn't that just the result of adapting a manga while it is still in production? Jojo would have the same problem if Araki was currently writing it and the anime was about to overtake him and the 1999 HxH anime also added tons of filler to avoid overtaking the manga.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Goku vs Cell was alao pretty drat awesome.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

e X posted:

Isn't that just the result of adapting a manga while it is still in production?

It's more of a problem with producing weekly content with no endpoint. Adaptations nowadays are embracing 25 episode seasons more often than not, so they're better able to pace themselves. One Piece is one of the few remaining animes that's still going with the old model even though it's obvious to everyone that the quality is suffering because of it.

DBZ was made back when that was the standard model for anime adaptations, which natuar!!y resulted in static staredowns we all know and love.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's more of a problem with producing weekly content with no endpoint. Adaptations nowadays are embracing 25 episode seasons more often than not, so they're better able to pace themselves.

Magi the Labyrinth of Magic is a good example of this. also a good shounen manga/anime in general.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Saving this for potential future reaction image or smiley.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think Xibanya should put all these posts in a blog or something because her analysis is really interesting and I'd love to show it to people without having to fish through pages in an SA thread.

Or at least have them linked in the OP.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think Xibanya should put all these posts in a blog or something because her analysis is really interesting and I'd love to show it to people without having to fish through pages in an SA thread.

I will throw them on a blog later today with some edits for clarity.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Gammatron 64 posted:

I also feel like DBZ is a fantastic manga but really kind of a lovely show. I'm told One Piece is the same way. I never saw One Piece, but I started reading the manga and it reminds me of early Dragon Ball stuff a lot. I think when it comes to the Shonen genre, a good rule of thumb is "don't watch the anime, just read the manga" as the horrendously slow pace of Shonen Jump anime series make them drat near unwatchable. The exception to the rule is of course Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and that's because they waited like 30 years to actually adapt it rather than trying to do it at the same time.

100%. I love big swaths of the One Piece anime, but after a certain point, it's rendered completely unwatchable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you're playing Xenoverse, they just spoiled Resurrection F specifically Vegeta.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Wait, the third batch of DLC released?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Also I think Dragon Ball \ DBZ, One Piece, Jojo's and Fist of the North Star are like the only good Shonen series, or at least they're the only good ones I can think of, because Naruto and Bleach are really, really lame and sucky. Also Inuyasha is really bad but that's meant for girls I think.

Basically a good rule to have is that the only good animes are about giant robots or giant ripped dudes screaming and punching poo poo and shows about little high school girls or guys in weird outfits and giant swords are bad

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also I think Dragon Ball \ DBZ, One Piece, Jojo's and Fist of the North Star are like the only good Shonen series, or at least they're the only good ones I can think of, because Naruto and Bleach are really, really lame and sucky. Also Inuyasha is really bad but that's meant for girls I think.

City Hunter is a pretty fun shonen. I used to get Raijin comics every month and it was serialized there in :911: Pick it up if you can. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Hunter

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Xibanya posted:

City Hunter is a pretty fun shonen. I used to get Raijin comics every month and it was serialized there in :911: Pick it up if you can. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Hunter

Oh yeah, also I hear Hunter X Hunter is good. I never read it though and have no idea what it's about.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Basically a good rule to have is that the only good animes are about giant robots or giant ripped dudes screaming and punching poo poo and shows about little high school girls or guys in weird outfits and giant swords are bad

Yu Yu Hakusho was DBZ with better pacing and secondary characters that remained relevant throughout the series. It therefore is the best shounen ever.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho was DBZ with better pacing and secondary characters that remained relevant throughout the series. It therefore is the best shounen ever.

I never quite got into the show, but it didn't look too bad. It didn't last too long, IIRC.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Similarly there is Flame of Recca which is also full of tournament arcs and competent side characters.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I liked YYH a lot but everything after Sensui was garbage (in part due to issues the creator was having with publishers).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Sensui arc also made Kuwabara completely irrelevant which was lame as hell. No, having a plot power and doing absolutely nothing to the main bad guy in a pointless fight does not count.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Momomo posted:

Sensui arc also made Kuwabara completely irrelevant which was lame as hell. No, having a plot power and doing absolutely nothing to the main bad guy in a pointless fight does not count.

Sensui arc made everybody irrelevant except Yusuke but that was the point - to show Yusuke's strengths vs an evil mirror of himself.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Xibanya posted:

Sensui arc made everybody irrelevant except Yusuke but that was the point - to show Yusuke's strengths vs an evil mirror of himself.

Didn't Kurama permanently fuse some dude to a plant or something right before the last fight?

YYH didn't fall flat to me until the fight with Yomi where it cuts out halfway and the next chapter everyone's at school again and it's all exposition about the rest of the tournament. It was like the editor said "sorry but this arc is losing fans so quickly that you need to stop right in the middle of it and do a couple of spirit detective chapters to make up for it."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gammatron 64 posted:

Rurouni Kenshin, Hunter x Hunter, My Hero Academia, Busou Renkin, Death Note, Dr. Slump (from Toriyama himself!), Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya, Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh!, YuYu Hakusho, Saiki Kusao no Psi Nan, Kuroko no Basket...and that's only counting the Shonen Jump ones I can see from quickly reading the Jump Ultimate Stars and J-Stars lists. There's far, far more. For instance, outside of that you have FullMetal Alchemist, an all-time favourite of mine, or the currently running Seven Deadly Sins (whose quality is somewhat shaky but it's enjoyable). There's also OPM which is amazing, but I'm not sure where to put it considering it started as a webcomic.

The shonen genre actually has lots of really good series! It's just that the most known ones tend to be poo poo that works well for a wide demographic but overall are mediocre to awful, or started really well then jumped the shark and never came back. Many of them owe their existance as they are to Dragon Ball, too, so that only shows the strength of this particular manga even more.

Amorphous Blob posted:

Didn't Kurama permanently fuse some dude to a plant or something right before the last fight?

Yeah, Older Toguro. It was cool as hell, a fate far worse than death for someone who absolutely deserved it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Eh, it's great that you are so enthusiastic about it, but honestly, I think most of the series you mentioned are pretty mediocre at best. It doesn't help that I find a lot of the usual shonen tropes to be very tiresome and repetitive. For a lot of stories, it becomes very easy to predict the plot at every turn, to the point were you are just bored with the entire concept.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

e X posted:

Eh, it's great that you are so enthusiastic about it, but honestly, I think most of the series you mentioned are pretty mediocre at best. It doesn't help that I find a lot of the usual shonen tropes to be very tiresome and repetitive. For a lot of stories, it becomes very easy to predict the plot at every turn, to the point were you are just bored with the entire concept.

You can say that about almost any form of fiction though. Execution matters a lot more than unpredictability. (Though being surprised is always nice.)

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Yeah the problem with Shonen is that you're very limited in the kind of story you can tell because the complexity and depth of character is limited and Japanese publishers are no less susceptible to "focus group" thinking as American publishers are. So you get lots of cookie cutter series because "kids like X" or whatever.

I always notice how every time I try to read a Shonen the first several installments are loving great and then it descends into repetitive boringness because they found "the formula" and are gonna flog it forever.

Ironically because Toriyama mainly did whatever the hell he wanted, most of Dragonball comes off as way more fresh than most of its imitators.

Indie American comics and non-Shonen Japanese comics 4 lyfe.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Momomo posted:

Kuwabara still had to do support with the soul sword thing that become the most powerful singular thing in the series (it was cutting through dimensions or something). It was after that when he became completely useless.

In fact, wasn't in the Sensui arc that stole the JoJos battles, specifically younger D'arby, that made other people more useful?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
All the art talk made me think about how, despite all the jokes about Saiyan hair, it's actually a very simple way of making distinct profiles. It seems like none of the series that took the spikey hair got the concept behind it though. In Naruto every one is a spikey-headed blob and it's in black and white and it just turns into a huge mess.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Rurouni Kenshin, Hunter x Hunter, My Hero Academia, Busou Renkin, Death Note, Dr. Slump (from Toriyama himself!), Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya, Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh!, YuYu Hakusho, Saiki Kusao no Psi Nan, Kuroko no Basket...and that's only counting the Shonen Jump ones I can see from quickly reading the Jump Ultimate Stars and J-Stars lists. There's far, far more. For instance, outside of that you have FullMetal Alchemist, an all-time favourite of mine, or the currently running Seven Deadly Sins (whose quality is somewhat shaky but it's enjoyable). There's also OPM which is amazing, but I'm not sure where to put it considering it started as a webcomic.

The shonen genre actually has lots of really good series! It's just that the most known ones tend to be poo poo that works well for a wide demographic but overall are mediocre to awful, or started really well then jumped the shark and never came back. Many of them owe their existance as they are to Dragon Ball, too, so that only shows the strength of this particular manga even more.

I literally don't care about \ have never heard of half of those things.

Although Saint Seya and Full Metal Alchemist are cool, I forgot about those. Also Kinnikuman, because 'rasslin.

Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakasho and Yu-Gi-Oh I know about, but have like, no appeal to me at all.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly, all the art talk has made me realize that Toriyama has a lot more in common with traditional cartoonists rather than comic artists on either shore. I've always liked his art, but the clarity of it is really striking when it's put alongside most other comics like that.

And he's quite capable of doing elaborate full color stuff, you just see it less.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Gammatron 64 posted:

Someone forgot Madoka.

Also the best shonen is Houshin Engi.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

sharktamer posted:

Someone forgot Madoka.

No, gently caress off, not watching Madoka

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Dont loose your head over it. :colbert:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
One-Punch Man is great because it's the sort of earnest parody where you know the author has a lot of love for the subject matter.

Madoka feels more like an attempt to destroy something other people enjoy.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

No, gently caress off, not watching Madoka

I like you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One-Punch Man is great but you know what really owns?

Luckyman. :colbert:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Thyrork posted:

Dont loose your head over it. :colbert:

ok that was pretty funny I gotta admit.

but yeah, I'm not going to watch madoka because I have no interest in magical girls at all and I just don't care. although to be fair, all I know about it is that it's about magical girls and one girl gets her head bit off.

it's sort of like how I won't watch my little pony out of principle

Like people keep talking about attack on titan and dr. who and whatnot and all that actually does is make me want to watch these things less.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

One-Punch Man is great because it's the sort of earnest parody where you know the author has a lot of love for the subject matter.

Madoka feels more like an attempt to destroy something other people enjoy.

Really? I think people overhype Madoka's grimdark. It has a positive message and an optimistic ending, despite all the suffering. There's some real love for the genre hidden in there. I mean, just look at the flattering Utena and Kannazuki no Miko references.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

sharktamer posted:

Also the best shonen is Houshin Engi.
:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Darth Walrus posted:

Really? I think people overhype Madoka's grimdark. It has a positive message and an optimistic ending, despite all the suffering. There's some real love for the genre hidden in there. I mean, just look at the flattering Utena and Kannazuki no Miko references.
That's why I said "Feels." I'll be the first to admit I'm not invested enough in the genre to be able to discern the love from not-love (wouldn't say hate), but my time with Madoka left me with the distinct impression it was using the concept of the magical girl as a punching bag; verses, in this case, One-Punch Man ruffling punchmen's hair saying, "You lovable doof you."

Again, just how I saw it. Not saying it is that way, but as an outsider looking in it sure seemed like it, ultimately optimistic ending or no.

• Locked thread