Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

For people that like these kinds of gameplay twists though, you're gonna love the DLC.

Will you be doing the DLC in co-op? (Sorry if this was asked before)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm not too clear as to what happened in that last elevator scene-m was Isaac mocking Carver or something?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SgtSteel91 posted:

Will you be doing the DLC in co-op? (Sorry if this was asked before)

Yeah! In fact, I'm going to be doing two side by side playthroughs of it! One in single player with blind sally and nine gear crow, and a live one in co-op with JamietheD where I'm playing as Carver; because things are actually different for once!

CommissarMega posted:

I'm not too clear as to what happened in that last elevator scene-m was Isaac mocking Carver or something?

No, they like literally were standing in the elevator for 5 minutes. Carver just imagined the whole side mission. That's why Isaac doesn't say anything the whole time!

Isaac's "some things are better left buried right Carver?" was probably just a dig at Carver dragging him far off of the critical path to stand in an elevator doing nothing for 5 minutes. But like I said in the video, Isaac probably figures Carver's going through the same poo poo he went through and is just letting him work it out on his own.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CJacobs posted:

No, they like literally were standing in the elevator for 5 minutes. Carver just imagined the whole side mission.

Ooooh, I get it now. Holy poo poo, that's amazing, but also a little disheartening as well, since you'd pretty much have to play co-op if you want the whole story.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

CJacobs posted:

Yeah! In fact, I'm going to be doing two side by side playthroughs of it! One in single player with blind sally and nine gear crow, and a live one in co-op with JamietheD where I'm playing as Carver; because things are actually different for once!

No, they like literally were standing in the elevator for 5 minutes. Carver just imagined the whole side mission. That's why Isaac doesn't say anything the whole time!

Isaac's "some things are better left buried right Carver?" was probably just a dig at Carver dragging him far off of the critical path to stand in an elevator doing nothing for 5 minutes. But like I said in the video, Isaac probably figures Carver's going through the same poo poo he went through and is just letting him work it out on his own.

You'd think he'd at least try to snap him out of the delusions. Coaching him about exactly what the Marker's doing to him and how to get through it.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Geostomp posted:

You'd think he'd at least try to snap him out of the delusions. Coaching him about exactly what the Marker's doing to him and how to get through it.

Issac tried that with Stross, and you'll see how that turns out.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 23, 2015

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Fish Noise posted:

Ahem! "Quantum mechanics provides a mathematical description of much of the dual Engineer-like and Soldier-like behavior and interactions of Isaac and Carver."
Consider: Is there really any difference between Isaac "They're just running into my sawblade" Clarke and John "Oh man I can fire sawblades" Carver?

Daaaamn... That, in and of itself, is probably an abstract in the Dead Space Universe.

quote:

Willow has Val Kilmer jumping up and down in a cage screaming "PECK! PECK!" Watch it, CJacobs.

Also the immortal line "Ooh, I'm really scared. No! Don't! There's a- a PECK here with an acorn pointed at me!"

Willow is a loving classic.

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, the whole thing was a Marker Delusion that only Carver went through, hence my... outburst (gently caress YOU, DEAD SPACE 3) . From a story perspective, this is actually an unexpectedly awesome moment, and shows, rather than tells, how subtly the Markers can influence people. From a gameplay perspective, it's jarring as hell, and the disconnect of actually having items from non-existent events isn't exactly the best design.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Slightly spoilery stuff

That's a really tough call, and I'll discuss that more when we get there.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

Oh my god Nicole shut up. Please shut up. Just leave me alone god dammit you're so annoying. I am joined by Nine-Gear Crow and a whole bunch of other people.

I'm still catching up on the stream, but thanks for keeping the dream alive, crow. :unsmith:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

JamieTheD posted:

Yeah, the whole thing was a Marker Delusion that only Carver went through, hence my... outburst (gently caress YOU, DEAD SPACE 3) . From a story perspective, this is actually an unexpectedly awesome moment, and shows, rather than tells, how subtly the Markers can influence people. From a gameplay perspective, it's jarring as hell, and the disconnect of actually having items from non-existent events isn't exactly the best design.
It's potentially REALLY cool, but in execution very dissonant, and considering some of the development troubles, I suspect that was inevitable result. Ultimately, I am kinda glad they went for it anyways.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it would've been funny if it was a case of optional infinite recursion on the player's part.

"Carver, we've been standing in this elevator for 5 minutes. Are we gonna check this place out or what?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah, let's do it."

*mission happens all over again*

"Carver, we've been standing in this elevator for 5 minutes. Are we gonna check this place out or what?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah, let's do it."

*mission happens all over again*

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Once I realized what they were doing in co-op with the things only one player can see I spent the entire rest of the game waiting for them to have Carver appear as a Necromorph or vice versa. That would have been such a good mindfuck; just have a mission where you enter a room and the other player looks like a Necromorph.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

"Carver, I've been doing flips against this elevator door for 5 minutes. Are we gonna check this place out or what?"
One way or another, Isaac "This is so hosed up I love it" Clarke WILL be entertained.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think I've got an explanation for why you've got all that stuff from a supposed hallucination- what if they had both been hallucinating? The mission happened as you saw, with Carver seeing signs of his dead family, while Isaac's been hallucinating that he was in the lift. Oh sure, maybe he gets hurt or whatever while you're playing him, but 'canonically', he's just so used to killing 'morphs that he literally did so in his sleep, wandering about in a trance thinking he was still on the lift. Boy is he going to be surprised to find all the med packs and stuff he's suddenly got.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It's all down-mineshaft from here, folks. I am joined by Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow.

Alternate description: Good devs mean well, they just don't always end up devving well. I am joined by Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow.

TEXT LOGS IN THIS CHAPTER:

There aren't any! There are some after the descent but I'll save them for the next video.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Yeah, that was... Pretty handholdy. And while the final buddy speech is fine, it would be a whole lot better if it hadn't been for Carver not being a thing for 90% of the SP experience. As the recent co-op showed, if you don't do the co-op missions, odds are this dramatic reveal will be completely out of the blue.

Well anyhoo, nice to see what this episode presented, the architecture is still a plus point here, although that mineshaft bit... Really, Isaac, that was incredibly dumb, and on some level you had to already know that... :/

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It also looked like he didn't have another option, certainly not using stasis to keep the thing slowed.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

A: please do the Awakening DLC.
B: if Norton is Vegeta can Carver please be Piccolo.
C: I like how the alien's have a grunt-language.
D: I do not like how Isaac is like "OH MAN IT HURTS TO USE SUPER-TK" and then there is no visible in-game effect for that. Like, if you're gonna play that "it hurts to be super badass" card, maybe like make his health slowly decay? It would sure make the other aspect of having Super-TK have an actual cost. Or maybe four-year-olds do not understand the concept of "consequences" or "costs for things".

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jade Star posted:

Not enough personal space eh? Like some kind of ... Personal Space Invader?

Puns may be slowly killing CJacobs, but they give me strength. :unsmigghh:

pkfan2004 posted:

A: please do the Awakening DLC.

Way ahead of you.

CJacobs posted:

It's all down-mineshaft from here, folks. I am joined by Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow.

Alternate description: Good devs mean well, they just don't always end up devving well. I am joined by Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow.

TEXT LOGS IN THIS CHAPTER:

There aren't any! There are some after the descent but I'll save them for the next video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4DBZ2TBp-w

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

pkfan2004 posted:

D: I do not like how Isaac is like "OH MAN IT HURTS TO USE SUPER-TK" and then there is no visible in-game effect for that. Like, if you're gonna play that "it hurts to be super badass" card, maybe like make his health slowly decay? It would sure make the other aspect of having Super-TK have an actual cost. Or maybe four-year-olds do not understand the concept of "consequences" or "costs for things".

Four-year-olds do. AAA Gamers, do not. You can bemoan the "why" of the devcycle, but not the "what". AAA Gamers paid $60 for this product, it would be poor form to not remove all barriers to a mellow content tour.

(just kidding, you can bemoan the "what" all you like too because what it is is bad)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As much as I love to hate on the simple nature of the game's mechanics, I really prefer that the TK supercharge pads do not actually hurt you. They do make Isaac wobble a bit and hold his head when he's standing or walking over them but that's really it. Maybe some kind of tinny ringing sound or tunnel vision could happen if you stand on one for too long, I dunno, but actually hurting Isaac would just be mean to the player.

Although I guess it's not like I wouldn't have health kits for goddamn days by this point anyway.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Not having both health and ammo outright regenerate was cowardice, frankly. :colbert:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Half-Life 2 did supercharged physics powers cooler. :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's beautiful

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

:vince:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That second link hurt me in ways I did not think my ears could be hurt.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Night10194 posted:

That second link hurt me in ways I did not think my ears could be hurt.

You have to develop the reflex to mute or quickly lower your volume the moment you hear the word "Sanic"

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Where's Elika :colbert:

(Those are both works of art)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

tlarn posted:

You have to develop the reflex to mute or quickly lower your volume the moment you hear the word "Sanic"

I slammed the mute key so hard when I heard that word uttered and realized what was about to happen.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

CJacobs posted:

"We can now pick up heavy stuff with Kinesis and move it around.

It's never used for anything interesting."

:stare:

CJacobs posted:

"We haven't actually seen the coolest thing about these Kinesis pads, though."

:swoon:

For a second, I thought you were not going to use the Supercharged Gravity Gun. I should never have doubted you. :getin:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
You bastards owe me a new pair of speakers. :mad:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I love that the blasting charges have a little pixel art animation of an explosion. The future is direct and clear in its safety notation.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

IronSaber posted:

You bastards owe me a new pair of speakers. :mad:

as crow point out to cjacobs and myself, the audio volume levels are unchanged from the original video :v:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

CJacobs posted:

As much as I love to hate on the simple nature of the game's mechanics, I really prefer that the TK supercharge pads do not actually hurt you. They do make Isaac wobble a bit and hold his head when he's standing or walking over them but that's really it. Maybe some kind of tinny ringing sound or tunnel vision could happen if you stand on one for too long, I dunno, but actually hurting Isaac would just be mean to the player.

Although I guess it's not like I wouldn't have health kits for goddamn days by this point anyway.
Yeah the fact that you're consistently throwing health kits away is the only reason I'd suggest "make it cost health" because your playthrough, specifically, is so goddamn flush with health. Who knows, maybe in a whole other mess of alternate realities, those Isaacs all suck and die from papercuts.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

pkfan2004 posted:

Yeah the fact that you're consistently throwing health kits away is the only reason I'd suggest "make it cost health" because your playthrough, specifically, is so goddamn flush with health. Who knows, maybe in a whole other mess of alternate realities, those Isaacs all suck and die from papercuts.

Nope, that's just Dead Space 3. It does that on harder difficulties, too, and the same with ammo (although not nearly as much as health). God forbid the player have to take a section carefully if they were to spend all their resources on a fight - look at that Stalker fight I like to point to in a recent DS2 update, just before the Ishimura. You're likely to have very little ammo and health left, and that makes it really tense and gripping! In DS3, the only reason you'll be shouting "I need a store!" is so that you can offload your vast supply of loot.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I can attest that DS3 on regular difficulty absolutely showers you with health, to the point where at one location that was passed through a few times I started a little health-pack stockpile and I got to around 20 small health packs

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

WFGuy posted:

Nope, that's just Dead Space 3. It does that on harder difficulties, too, and the same with ammo (although not nearly as much as health). God forbid the player have to take a section carefully if they were to spend all their resources on a fight - look at that Stalker fight I like to point to in a recent DS2 update, just before the Ishimura. You're likely to have very little ammo and health left, and that makes it really tense and gripping! In DS3, the only reason you'll be shouting "I need a store!" is so that you can offload your vast supply of loot.

And the problem is that the game has to view health packs as both a consumable and a resource. If you play the game well, you're flush with health packs and somatic gel. If you don't, you can still survive because the game is giving you health packs and somatic gel. The only thing you miss out on is health upgrades.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For anyone who wants some Dead Space merch (not actually from Visceral), Pop Couture Crafts on Etsy has patches for several of the ships like the Eudora and the CEC. Unfortunately it seems as if they dropped their Ishimura patch. Hot Topic used to have it on a shirt, but judging from it being out of stock and having suddenly dropped the price to $4 I think they stopped receiving them and just tried to offload all their stock ASAP.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

My love must be a kind of blind love
I can't see anyone but you

Are the stars out tonight?
I don't know if it's cloudy or bright
I only have eyes for you, dear

The moon may be high
But I can't see a thing in the sky
I only have eyes for you

I don't know if we're in a garden
Or on a crowded avenue

You are here and so am I
Maybe millions of people go by
But they all disappear from view
And I only have eyes for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, I was recently on an episode of Putty's Super Smash Bros Wiiooo LP, so you should go watch that, it's funny! And you get to see Putty be bad at playing as Mega Man!

• Locked thread