Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Right, or "restraint" or "civility" or similar. The idea's going to take me a bit to get used to over all, honestly, because I feel like there's more pathos in your antlers or your glass carapace or whatever being things your Keeper forced upon you rather than material manifestations of yourself-actualization. As-described Beasts seem to be, broadly, werewolf stories - you're stuck in a suffocating and restrictive place so you wolf out, and now you're an actual fangs-and-fur wolfman. Which is cool... but it's a little less tragic and a little more, well, done already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Your antlers and whatnot are not going anywhere, and they are still something that the Keeper forced on you, it's just that they are represented by your kith instead of your Seeming.

You guys do know that kiths are not a subclass of seemings anymore, right? That Runnerswifts can be Beasts or Darklings or even Elementals or Ogres?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 23, 2015

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Interested to see if the trend continues and Mage 2E Thyrsus are explicitly all about being primal, passionate shapeshifters that fight hard and gently caress harder

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Crion posted:

Interested to see if the trend continues and Mage 2E Thyrsus are explicitly all about being primal, passionate shapeshifters that fight hard and gently caress harder

See for yourself!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Your antlera and whatnot are not going anywhere, and they are still something that the Keeper forced on you, it's just that they are represented by your kith instead of yoyr Seeming.

You guys do know that kiths are not a subclass of seemings anymore, right? That Runnerswifts can be Beasts or Darklings or even Elementals or Ogres?

Yes, we get that, it's just that "Seemings are what you did to escape" vs. "Seemings are how you were changed by your captivity" is a pretty big thematic change and it's going to take some getting used to.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

paradoxGentleman posted:

Your antlera and whatnot are not going anywhere, and they are still something that the Keeper forced on you, it's just that they are represented by your kith instead of yoyr Seeming.

So your "Seeming" describes your innermost nature and the source of your willpower rather than how you seem.

I mean, that's not really fair of me. I suppose that in terms of external, available-to-everybody visuals you get a mix of both, so if as my Durance I was just one of the menhirs marking the borders of my Keeper's dominion, and then I became a Beast and escaped, I'd look like a big ox or tiger or whatever that's been carved roughly out of stone, or at least a golem suffused with unnerving vitality and that's got a wild look in its eyes. This feels a bit like Court territory, though... I'd expect that the thing currently called your "Seeming" is what should be determining your mantle and maybe your favored means of reaping glamour more so than your appearance.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Crion posted:

Not really, no.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

So somewhat similar in superficial theme, but crucially as if written by a storyteller with an eye for a larger game instead of a fetish writer. I've got no real problem with that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
More and more, I think I'll stick with the first edition of the nWoD and use the second edition books as optional rules, like Mirrors or Armory Reloaded.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I will say the one thing I like about this is the "Changelings can always escape Mundane confinement because they've already been jailed by the best" thing.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Ferrinus posted:

So your "Seeming" describes your innermost nature and the source of your willpower rather than how you seem.

I mean, that's not really fair of me. I suppose that in terms of external, available-to-everybody visuals you get a mix of both, so if as my Durance I was just one of the menhirs marking the borders of my Keeper's dominion, and then I became a Beast and escaped, I'd look like a big ox or tiger or whatever that's been carved roughly out of stone, or at least a golem suffused with unnerving vitality and that's got a wild look in its eyes. This feels a bit like Court territory, though... I'd expect that the thing currently called your "Seeming" is what should be determining your mantle and maybe your favored means of reaping glamour more so than your appearance.

I think Courts are probably still going to be coping mechanisms of some kind. They're still your support groups or YMCA self-defense classes or w/e. I feel like your Seeming is something that is always going to be behind you, but you'll never really be "free" from it. Because Arcadia is Arcadia so that trauma is literally manifested. So like say I'm a hammer for the New Old Yankee Workshop Fae and I survive by doing some awful stuff I'm probably not proud of and the nature of whatever it was I did makes me an Ogre and now I'm back in society trying to deal with all that, so I join Court X because I feel like drinking away my pain or w/e.

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 23, 2015

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

unseenlibrarian posted:

I will say the one thing I like about this is the "Changelings can always escape Mundane confinement because they've already been jailed by the best" thing.

That kind of smacks of taking a metaphor and stretching it a bit too far. It would make quite a bit more sense if it was the purview of a specific kind of Changeling (in 1E, Wizened) whose Durances might have been expected to very closely resemble real-world prisons or the like.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Crion posted:

Every splat gets their own version of Undead Menses.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Frankly, it's the Thyrsus more than anyone who could get away with being an embarrassing orgy cult in the first place. You can tell because their 1E writeup made them out to be, like, ardent environmentalists who think cities are corrupting influences.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ferrinus posted:

Frankly, it's the Thyrsus more than anyone who could get away with being an embarrassing orgy cult in the first place. You can tell because their 1E writeup made them out to be, like, ardent environmentalists who think cities are corrupting influences.

Verbenna is that you?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Crion posted:

That kind of smacks of taking a metaphor and stretching it a bit too far. It would make quite a bit more sense if it was the purview of a specific kind of Changeling (in 1E, Wizened) whose Durances might have been expected to very closely resemble real-world prisons or the like.

Your Keeper abducted you seemingly only to torment you. His prison-factory was a seemingly infinite expanse of metal and concrete, like an industrial plant built on acid. He put you and other Changelings to work on meaningless tasks, building titanic, empty structures in his image. Accidents or rampaging Hedge-Beasts would kill them by the score, or they would die in one of his nonsensical games. It seemed like every week he would let you "escape" to somewhere like the real world, giving you just enough time to enjoy yourself, only for his pet mechanical horror to burst out from the scenery and drag you back in an orgy of violence. As it lifted you up across the mad landscape of Faerie, it would always play that terrible song...

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I have 0 problems with my game about a darker, more twisted version of the real world having a bunch of hedonistic, sexual factions in it. The mention of sex doesn't automatically turn the whole setting into an excuse to masturbate: it's an element, a thing that happens that can potentially attract the attention of people who would not contribute to a fun roleplaying experience, but that it would be stupid and wasteful to ignore because we have to make sure they don't catch wind of it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kavak posted:

Your Keeper abducted you seemingly only to torment you. His prison-factory was a seemingly infinite expanse of metal and concrete, like an industrial plant built on acid. He put you and other Changelings to work on meaningless tasks, building titanic, empty structures in his image. Accidents or rampaging Hedge-Beasts would kill them by the score, or they would die in one of his nonsensical games. It seemed like every week he would let you "escape" to somewhere like the real world, giving you just enough time to enjoy yourself, only for his pet mechanical horror to burst out from the scenery and drag you back in an orgy of violence. As it lifted you up across the mad landscape of Faerie, it would always play that terrible song...
I would play in this game.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have 0 problems with my game about a darker, more twisted version of the real world having a bunch of hedonistic, sexual factions in it. The mention of sex doesn't automatically turn the whole setting into an excuse to masturbate: it's an element, a thing that happens that can potentially attract the attention of people who would not contribute to a fun roleplaying experience, but that it would be stupid and wasteful to ignore because we have to make sure they don't catch wind of it.

Sex comes up in Changeling 1E. Not that often, but it comes up. Sex comes up in that Thyrsus preview, too. No one laughing at that line from the Beasts preview is saying "don't mention sex in these games." They're saying "do it well." That's a bad line, and on the whole, it's a bad, leering write-up.

Crion fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 23, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Crion posted:

Sex comes up in Changeling 1E. Not that often, but it comes up. Sex comes up in that Thyrsus preview, too. No one laughing at that line from the Beasts preview is saying "don't mention sex in these games." They're saying "do it well." That's a bad line, and on the whole, it's a bad, leering write-up.

The line is pretty out there, no doubt, but the write-up doesn't seem bad to me. It continues the trend of trying to convince you that the seeming/clan/whatever they are talking about is great and wonderful and make you want to play it, but that seems to make sense to me, especially if they are trying to portray Changelings less like victims and more like survivors.

If anything the tone I noticed both here and in Blood and Smoke seems... maybe vaguely childish, like they are trying to convince the teenager that isn't really sold on this whole roleplaying thing that these characters are super cool and he totally should want in on this action. It's not the approach I would have picked, but hey, maybe it works.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

paradoxGentleman posted:

The line is pretty out there, no doubt, but the write-up doesn't seem bad to me. It continues the trend of trying to convince you that the seeming/clan/whatever they are talking about is great and wonderful and make you want to play it, but that seems to make sense to me, especially if they are trying to portray Changelings less like victims and more like survivors.

If anything the tone I noticed both here and in Blood and Smoke seems... maybe vaguely childish, like they are trying to convince the teenager that isn't really sold on this whole roleplaying thing that these characters are super cool and he totally should want in on this action. It's not the approach I would have picked, but hey, maybe it works.

I was just thinking today after reading a bunch of this stuff that a lot of the writing the thread takes issue with seems to be edginess aimed squarely at 16 year olds.

It's not necessarily a bad target audience, it just doesn't strike me as anything I particularly want to read.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Sex in games is fine, but only if it's in the proper and sacred context of marriage

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It also helps if finding the sex sexy doesn't depend on the reader sharing some very specific fetishes.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

paradoxGentleman posted:

Or, bluntly, that the people writing them have a childish view of sexuality themselves.

I am totally okay with sex as a thing in games. Hell, Changeling 1e had art with very clearly defined nipples and piercings through sweaters and gently caress it, that was okay because it was in a section actively talking about romance and sex in dreams, which is something that's basically impossible to avoid talking about when dreams are your jam. Monsterhearts is an entire game system around sex - awkward, teenaged, doomed sex - as a vehicle for a plot. Sex is at the root level of all sorts of motivations, and it's frankly puritan and silly to pretend it doesn't exist and get the vapors every time dicks and vaginas are implied.

I say this to establish my views when I say that tryhard "no, really, this is rad and transgressive" sex references like the one in the Changeling writeup and ~the communion of the oval office and cock~ are not good incorporation of sex into games. As Swagger says, it's aimed at mid-teenagers who think the word penis is the most offensive thing in the universe. It's a perpetually stunted, adolescent view of things. And targeting that as your demographic is fine, except that OPP writers/fans often seem to try to have their cake and eat it too by attempting serious commentary or meditations on Real poo poo, then calling people who find their discussion of sex childish prudes and puritans.

How often they've succeeded in their serious attempts is a matter of debate :v:

tatankatonk posted:

Sex in games is fine, but only if it's in the proper and sacred context of marriage

:agreed:

Rand Brittain posted:

It also helps if finding the sex sexy doesn't depend on the reader sharing some very specific fetishes.

Ah yes, the good old Magical Realm. How disappointed and utterly unsurprised I am to have my major hobby demand that term's existence.

(And yes, if I can close my eyes and see the writer's hands down their pants while writing, that torpedoes most of my interest)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
How do you pronounce chiminage?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You don't, because it's a silly word. I suggest things like 'sacrifice' or 'bargain' instead. Chiminage is an obsolete Franco-English word for a toll paid on a forest road.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Mors Rattus posted:

You don't, because it's a silly word. I suggest things like 'sacrifice' or 'bargain' instead. Chiminage is an obsolete Franco-English word for a toll paid on a forest road.

White wolf! :orks:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Mors Rattus posted:

If you're not going to use the goofy obscure words in place of common words then why are you even playing a White Wolf game in the first place

"I use some of my Magic Blood to boost my stats, activate my Running Real Fast discipline, and track the vampire hunter with my Looking At Stuff powers."

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

If you're not going to use the goofy obscure words in place of common words then why are you even playing a White Wolf game in the first place

"I use some of my Magic Blood to boost my stats, activate my Running Real Fast discipline, and track the vampire hunter with my Looking At Stuff powers."

Mad Libs is fun.

Ichor, Alacrity, Perspicacity

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It was kind of neat how the early games had the snobby super old words used by the high-class monsters to give themselves a veneer of culture and the street language of the common folks, even if what they came up with was soemtimes hilariously bad. It fit with the whole Punk thing they were going for.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Chiminage is like two steps above Vitae, Celerity and Auspex, by rights of having extra syllables, sounding super goofy even in comparison and being equally well-served by the term 'sacrifice' which is really quite a nice little word.

(Metis is about on par with Chiminage though, perhaps worse. Don't use Metis.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

Chiminage is like two steps above Vitae, Celerity and Auspex, by rights of having extra syllables, sounding super goofy even in comparison and being equally well-served by the term 'sacrifice' which is really quite a nice little word.

(Metis is about on par with Chiminage though, perhaps worse. Don't use Metis.)

Metis makes me want to go back in time and scream "DON'T loving DO THAT" into MRH's ear while he's asleep.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
You complain while probably having no idea of the even huger PAIN in the backside this stuff is to translate into languages, especially if you want to do it with any semblance of quality.

"This sounds stupid even in the original; I probably would be justified in leaving it stupid in the translation, but I don't wan't to, so now I have to keep it close to the source AND try and make it non-stupid.
...Wait, is that more of ancient Hebrew?.. Of course it loving is, got to get used to this by now".

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Pope Guilty posted:

How do you pronounce chiminage?

Like chimichanga

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
"Auspex" sounds cool as gently caress, sorry

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

When your glasses-wearing sidekick does something really cute

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

What would people want to see out of Giest 2.0?

I was spitballing some ideas in a notebook today.

* What if Synergy was actually lost based on the disposition of your Giest as opposed to completely arbitrary rules about ghosts? Like, what if the Burned Man really hates fire and stuff like that?
* What if you became more like a zombie as Synergy dropped - rotting flesh, evidence of your death, stuff like that? What if this imposed obvious social problems but made you physically more resilient?
* What if you had multiple resources - say, 2? - focused on the physical and ephemeral respectively? What if Physical Resource was regained for fulfilling your own unfinished business and the Ephemeral Resource was for doing what your Giest wanted?
* What if you distilled the idea krewe channels down to a handful of easily digestible ones - those granted by specific gods of death, for instance - and used those to drive the primary conflicts of the game?

I think the game also lacks a central conflict. The machinations of ancient dead things in the land of the living seem obvious - but there's got to be a better way to use that which isn't just stepping all over other game lines.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Geist 2E needs to up the importance of The Bargain. As it is, its more like The Gift. Yeah you have the option to turn it down, but why would you? Geists are like mildly annoying at the most and in return you get all these cool powers. If you give people reason to turn down The Bargain, it will automatically make the PCs existence more meaningful simply because now it means that there was something they cared about enough that they were willing to fuse a superghost to their soul for it. Also play up the fact that barring some Hunters (and Demons, arguably), Sin-Eaters are the only ones who choose to become supernaturals. Everyone else is a victim of circumstance. Sin-Eaters actually get a say in the matter. That should mean something more than "Okay now you're a Sin-Eater here's your powers."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Geist 2E should let you play as Geists rather than as Sin-Eaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I want it to be more like Persona.