Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Mister Adequate posted:

I will participate in my civic duty of voting for a candidate to represent me in the Parliament of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

However, I would prefer to be able to vote for SNP candidates. Nicola, please run people south of the border!

can't discard the nationalist label and still maintain a left-ish image without being called out for running on policies that favour the middle class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Mister Adequate posted:

I will participate in my civic duty of voting for a candidate to represent me in the Parliament of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

However, I would prefer to be able to vote for SNP candidates. Nicola, please run people south of the border!

For a moment I forgot you weren't in Norn Iron anymore and was about to remind you that you had a full plethora of nationalist parties to vote for.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
If you lived in Thanet would you vote Tory to keep Farage out? I hate them as much as the next person, but one extra Tory MP is going to be a lot less damaging than Farage getting into parliament.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The discussion of "free" education in Scotland versus "fees" in England is very misleading. In both systems, students pay nothing up-front for their education (and receive additional funding to cover living costs while they study) but hopefully repay its cost through taxes during their subsequent working life. The only difference is that in England, graduates (being comparatively well off on the whole) are required to pay a small supplemental progressive income tax once their earnings exceed a certain threshold. In effect, Scotland has opted to give a large subsidy to the educated middle classes whereas England has opted to tax them a bit more highly so that the money can be spent on other things.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

twoot posted:

Before the tuition fees increase there was a significant increase in the number of applicants, and reduction in number taking un-deferred gap years; students and/or those who advise them are not entirely stupid.
A blip caused by circumstances that's won't repeat.
Cambridge for £9k vs Cambridge for £3k is a different choice than Cambridge for £9k vs Edinburgh for £0.

quote:

England is the odd one out in Europe on fees.
True. Would love for Europe to force a policy change on Westminster.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cerv posted:

A blip caused by circumstances that's won't repeat.
Cambridge for £9k vs Cambridge for £3k is a different choice than Cambridge for £9k vs Edinburgh for £0.

True. Would love for Europe to force a policy change on Westminster.

:qq:but British sovreignty:qq:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

XMNN posted:

If you lived in Thanet would you vote Tory to keep Farage out? I hate them as much as the next person, but one extra Tory MP is going to be a lot less damaging than Farage getting into parliament.

Although I don't usually like tactical voting, yes. He is so odious.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Prince John posted:

I would argue that the experience of Ireland has shown this isn't a valid objection. You won't pay tuition fees there, it's practically on the doorstep and the culture/language are similarly close, yet they haven't been swamped.

As a person with a pretty RP accent and no social awareness at all I would worry that if I went to Ireland I'd go somewhere where English People Don't Go and be murdered.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

There are still a few vacancies for the GE in Aberdeenshire, including standby roles in Aberdeen, Inverurie and Ellon and polling clerk positions in Bridge of Don, Inverurie, Tullynessle, Meiklemill and Pitmedden. Anyone interested should contact gordonelections@aberdeenshire.gov.uk with name, address, contact details and location to be considered for.

Standby workers can be called up at any time up to and including on the day, but will receive a payment even if not used.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

The discussion of "free" education in Scotland versus "fees" in England is very misleading. In both systems, students pay nothing up-front for their education (and receive additional funding to cover living costs while they study) but hopefully repay its cost through taxes during their subsequent working life. The only difference is that in England, graduates (being comparatively well off on the whole) are required to pay a small supplemental progressive income tax once their earnings exceed a certain threshold. In effect, Scotland has opted to give a large subsidy to the educated middle classes whereas England has opted to tax them a bit more highly so that the money can be spent on other things.

drat, if only it had been presented this way to the public. The media would have forced any politician who considered a "TAX ON THE MIDDLE CLASSES" to commit ritual suicide before they could go through with it.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

XMNN posted:

I'd campaign for labour and hope ukip split the conservative vote enough for a surprise win

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

XMNN posted:

Why? Because of the pressure on an EU referendum or the continued existence of Ukip as a functioning party?

Apparently the DUP are also pro-referendum and there's 8 of them.

Although looking at the breakdown I can't see how it's possibly going to be anybody other than the SNP as kingmakers.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

freebooter posted:

Why? Because of the pressure on an EU referendum or the continued existence of Ukip as a functioning party?

UKIP delenda est, while one more Tory backbencher probably won't matter.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

blowfish posted:

UKIP delenda est, while one more Tory backbencher probably won't matter.

Now I'm imagining every question at PMQs being ended with that phrase.

A cry for revolution from some senior judges:

quote:

Politicians in this election are failing to address the severe problems caused by deep cuts to the legal system, one former senior judge has warned, while another has called for a mass walkout by lawyers if the Conservatives are returned to power.

Addressing a protest rally by legal aid lawyers in central London, Sir Alan Moses said the lack of access to justice was being ignored.

Moses, who was previously an appeal court judge, said: “No one seems to care about the plight of those who have neither the ability to protect themselves in a legal sense and cannot afford a lawyer.

“That [people] are deprived of the chance of legal aid seems to figure at the very bottom of concern in this election.

“No one thinks they are ever going to be faced with circumstances that require someone to hold their hand and safeguard them in the frightening and alienating circumstances of a court of law.

“Who cares about the prisoner whose rights are abused and needs legal advice and assistance? Who cares about the immigrant who asserts they are a genuine refugee? Those who cannot afford access to the courts are often the unpopular minorities and there are no votes in helping them.”

Moses, who is now the chairman of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (Ipso), added: “Who cares if the high street lawyers who beaver away for little reward are closed down? … depriving people who need help degrades our system and degrades us all.”

None of the main political parties, other than the Greens, have pledged in their manifestos to reverse the estimated £700m legal aid cuts imposed on the justice system by the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition.

Another former appeal court judge urged a mass walkout by lawyers in protest at the cuts if the Conservatives are returned to power.

Sir Anthony Hooper supported the rally and endorsed the suggestion that lawyers should not vote for the Conservatives or Liberal Democrats in the existing coalition who had been responsible for legal aid cuts.

“I’m completely depressed,” he said. “I started out in the legal profession 30-odd years ago when we had as Rolls-Royce a system as you possibly could have.

“This has been destroyed gradually and then quickly over the past few years. Whatever we have said it’s not made any difference at all.

“If the Conservatives come back into power, it’s revolution time. We have to stop helping them and stop working.

“The Bar Council are not going to do anything. The Law Society is not going to do anything. The judges are not going to do anything.

“Unless you [lawyers] are prepared to withdraw your labour you have no hope. If the Tories get back in, they haven’t even started on us.”

----

Prince John fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 24, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

I don't think she posts here, you'll have to ask on her myspace or something.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

tooterfish posted:

Donate a forums account to her campaign? :v:

Prince John posted:

:unsmigghh:

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

tooterfish posted:

Surely it would be bebo?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

XMNN posted:

The issue with this is that if the tories have even one more seat than labour they are going to object to any ed miliband coalition as being a "losers coalition" and claim it is illegitimate. I don't think there is any seat where tactically voting tory would be justified.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Prince John posted:

I can never get over the time that Alexander Cameron (oh yes, relation) called out the government for loving up legal aid and blamed the state for not doing its job. I like to think it had lead to years of awkward dinners, though I doubt they actually have dinner together that often.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Transport for London chief: commuter trains into capital are 'poo poo'

quote:

The man who oversees London’s tube and bus network has described national rail services running into the capital as “poo poo, awful” and “like the wild west”.
Sir Peter Hendy, the commissioner of Transport for London, said commuters hated their suburban rail services, and singled out Southeastern – one of the busiest rail franchises, carrying more than 600,000 passengers every weekday – for particular criticism.
He also accused the train operators of putting “Gestapo-like” inspectors on trains to fine as many people as possible, including customers who had simply made mistakes with their tickets.
Well done that man.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

LemonDrizzle posted:

So what you're saying is that instead of fees, it's an extra income tax for most or all of your working life, but one you (almost) only have to pay if you're born after 1994 or so. You know, since the young have benefited so much from every other coalition policy. Oh, except that the rich can avoid it for their entire lives in exchange for a one-off lump sum. And the rights to collection of this tax can, at any time, be sold to a private company. And the income threshold does not automatically rise with inflation.

Well poo poo, why didn't you say so? That sounds like a great idea, and not discriminatory in any way!

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

So what you're saying is that instead of fees, it's an extra income tax for most or all of your working life, but one you (almost) only have to pay if you're born after 1994 or so. You know, since the young have benefited so much from every other coalition policy. Oh, except that the rich can avoid it for their entire lives in exchange for a one-off lump sum. And the rights to collection of this tax can, at any time, be sold to a private company. And the income threshold does not automatically rise with inflation.

Well poo poo, why didn't you say so? That sounds like a great idea, and not discriminatory in any way!

The principle can also be used to trash nearly any form of universalism. I'm surprised New Labour didn't deploy it more.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

freebooter posted:

The latter, Farage basically is Ukip and if he loses here his credibility will be utterly shot.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Plus he said if he lost he'd gently caress off.

In other news, Arms firms are taking over failing academies.

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/europes-biggest-arms-firm-takes-on-failing-academy/

quote:

The government has chosen an arms manufacturer as its preferred sponsor to turn around a failing academy in the north of England.

BAE Systems – Europe’s biggest arms company, turning over £15.4bn last year – is set to take over Furness Academy in Barrow, Cumbria, in September.

It has set up a trust to run the school under its submarine-building arm, which is based in the town.

The company will build new nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines, should the UK’s Trident programme get the go-ahead next year.

BAE Systems Marine Submarines Academy Trust will be tasked with turning around the troubled school that has been in special measures since March 2012.

Despite a subsequent Ofsted inspection in May 2013 and five monitoring visits, inspectors say it is still not improving enough.

Submarine4

Tony Johns, the managing director of BAE Systems Submarines, said in a statement: “We have for a long time supported local education at primary, secondary and college level, and see this positive step as an extension to our commitment in helping Furness Academy provide its students with the best possible education.”

The trust is now going through due diligence before a consultation with stakeholders, parents and staff. It is expected that a funding agreement will be signed ready for the trust to take over in September.

If agreed, the trust will become the academy’s sole sponsor, taking over from the University of Cumbria, Furness College and Barrow Sixth Form College, and will provide “strategic direction” in areas including leadership, business management and back office expertise.

A spokesperson said the company could not provide further details of the sponsorship while it was in due diligence.

Campaigners are uneasy at a school being run by a company that “profits from selling arms to some of the world’s most oppressive dictators”.

Sam Robinson, university coordinator for the Campaign against Arms Trade, said: “The idea [BAE] could soon be playing a significant role in running one of our schools is deeply worrying.

“It . . . gives them direct access to potential future employees and often allows them to influence the curriculum to suit their employment needs.”

BAE said it did not want to respond to the comments but Mallen Baker a writer, speaker and strategic adviser for corporate social responsibility, said it was a popular concept for companies to invest in the education of their local community.

“Employers recognise that the quality of local recruits is influenced hugely by their quality of education,” he told Schools Week. “Companies that invest in the local community will also get higher loyalty rates.

“With BAE there is an additional factor – they deal with a controversial product.
Submarine2

A Successor submarine which is being developed at BAE’s Barrow site and could hold the UK’s Trident nuclear missiles if the programme gets the go ahead

“But armament is essential for the defence of the country and we believe in the right for our countries to defend themselves.

“There are no reasons why it shouldn’t be able to show itself as a good citizen as other companies do. The only people to make that decision are the school and the local community.”

Barrow-in-Furness Labour MP John Woodcock said the takeover was “really exciting” news for the town. Anne Attwood, chief executive of current sponsor Furness College, has also been reported as saying having BAE as its sole sponsor will be good for the students and community.

The Guardian reported in 2007 that BAE, while under investigation after allegations of corruption, had offered £400,000 to sponsor the academy.

While it did not go on to be a sponsor, the academy’s annual accounts show BAE makes an annual donation, which could be as much as £40,000.

Ted Creighton, chair of governors, told parents of the sponsorship switch in a letter last week.

Mr Creighton, who is also BAE’s head of learning and organisation development, said no one from the school was available to comment because Ofsted inspectors were visiting this week.

New UTCs also linked with arms firms

A number of university technical colleges (UTCs) set to open in September have also partnered with military and arms firms.

P2-Cartoon

BAE is listed as a partner at Humber UTC, in Scunthorpe, where it will work to design and deliver projects for students.

The arms firm is also one of the partner companies at Medway UTC, in Chatham, Kent, which will specialise in construction and engineering.

Medway’s website says that BAE will support the design of its curriculum and be involved in governance.

South Wiltshire UTC, which specialises in science and engineering, will open in Salisbury in September. Its supporters include QinetiQ, which provides defence technology, and Chemring, which makes munitions, including explosives and tear gas.

Guidance for UTC sponsors state that they can help construct the curriculum to reflect the needs of their particular sector and build close links with students who will be potential employees.

Rolls-Royce, which reportedly made $5.6bn from arms sales in 2012-13, is a co-sponsor of the Cabot Learning Federation, alongside the University of the West of England. They sponsor 12 academies in the south west of England.

Editor’s Comment

While the election campaign rages on, schools are mostly getting back to business after the Easter break. Exam deadlines loom, as do summer fetes, school trips and summer plays.

For some school leaders, decisions must be made now that affect their school’s future.

Take Furness Academy, featured on the cover, and currently in the process of transferring to the sponsorship of BAE. The school has struggled for a long time. BAE is offering strategic support and a fresh start. It is a business embedded within the community. On the other hand, it creates objects that are instruments of war. Which aspect wins out? Which ought to?

In Telford, four schools are being transferred from one sponsor to another, while AET – the largest academy chain in England – has shed eight schools.

Each process of change involves nervous questions: Must we rename the school? What about the uniforms? Will all staff keep their jobs?

This emerging ‘transfer market’ in schools is both exciting and deeply challenging. Exciting because it gives poorly performing schools a shot at future success. Challenging because questions will always arise about the ‘appropriateness’ of sponsors and their plans.

The election is indeed important but these future-changing decisions are crucial too, that’s why we will keep covering them along with the campaign highlights, too.

I'm holding out hope that this is a viral marketing campaign for the new Metal Gear

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

freebooter posted:

Apparently the DUP are also pro-referendum and there's 8 of them.

Soon to be 9 most likely

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jedit posted:

There are still a few vacancies for the GE in Aberdeenshire, including standby roles in Aberdeen, Inverurie and Ellon and polling clerk positions in Bridge of Don, Inverurie, Tullynessle, Meiklemill and Pitmedden. Anyone interested should contact gordonelections@aberdeenshire.gov.uk with name, address, contact details and location to be considered for.

Standby workers can be called up at any time up to and including on the day, but will receive a payment even if not used.

Whats gardenstown like for officers? I was thinking of going to visit the parents in law.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The issue with this is that if the tories have even one more seat than labour they are going to object to any ed miliband coalition as being a "losers coalition" and claim it is illegitimate. I don't think there is any seat where tactically voting tory would be justified.

Yeah, Australia had a minority government from 2010-2013 with Labour propped up by independents and the Greens, and the Tory opposition leader (now PM and noted torture apologist Tony Abbott) was constantly attacking its legitimacy and demanding an early election. It was a constant, excruciatingly irritating background noise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

serious gaylord posted:

Whats gardenstown like for officers? I was thinking of going to visit the parents in law.

Looks like it's fine. There are vacancies for polling clerks at Fyvie and Forglen if you're in the area, though. Same address as before except sub Banff for Gordon.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Regarding Ukip's future, I read somewhere - can't find it now - that their terrifying strategy is not necessarily to win many seats in 2015, but to come second in around 100 electorates and hope that Labour forms government. Then when the pendulum swings in the opposite direction again, and swinging voters get fed up with a Labour government, the 2020 election comes around and there's whole swathes of the north where the Tories are a total non-starter but Ukip has become a viable second party for disillusioned traditional Labour voters.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

freebooter posted:

Regarding Ukip's future, I read somewhere - can't find it now - that their terrifying strategy is not necessarily to win many seats in 2015, but to come second in around 100 electorates and hope that Labour forms government. Then when the pendulum swings in the opposite direction again, and swinging voters get fed up with a Labour government, the 2020 election comes around and there's whole swathes of the north where the Tories are a total non-starter but Ukip has become a viable second party for disillusioned traditional Labour voters.

I still can't wrap my head around the idea that you'd go from Labour to UKIP. It just betrays their sort of "just a protest vote" status.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

freebooter posted:

. It was a constant, excruciatingly irritating background noise.

That's Abbot all the time though

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Party Boat posted:

The latter, Farage basically is Ukip and if he loses here his credibility will be utterly shot.

Fartrage reaffirmed today that he'll stand down as the leader of the UKIP if he loses https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/591533070676840448

quote:

Faisal Islam: do you regret saying you'll stand down if you lose?
Nigel Farage: no, no, no, how many times do I have to answer this? I'll be gone within 10 minutes, all right?

Who the hell would take over from him? The rest of the party is riddled with oddballs, the only reason anyone supports them is because of the false impression that ole Nige is one of us lads who likes a bit of pub bants with his ale and a fag.

The resulting implosion of UKIP seems like a good reason to vote tory.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

That's Abbot all the time though
Auspol April: A constant, excruciatingly irritating background noise

(Under the Statute of Westminster 1931, UMKT is still allowed to set thread titles for Auspol)

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Id be lying if I didnt entertain the idea of him getting in though. I would have liked to see Farage vs. Bercow.

Or to have seen him get kicked out due to poor attendance or something.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 24, 2015

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

freebooter posted:

They'd need to do something because by 2020 their core vote is going to start dying off.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Fartrage reaffirmed today that he'll stand down as the leader of the UKIP if he loses https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/591533070676840448

Who the hell would take over from him? The rest of the party is riddled with oddballs, the only reason anyone supports them is because of the false impression that ole Nige is one of us lads who likes a bit of pub bants with his ale and a fag.

The resulting implosion of UKIP seems like a good reason to vote tory.

Most probably Carswell would since he's pretty much guaranteed to get re-elected - he's probably less crazy that your other options but that isn't saying a lot

UKIP are probably hosed in the next election anyway unless something odd happens: if its too soon then the Tories could point at the results and claim that UKIP cost them a majority and try to squeeze their vote; too far away and the political moment and anti-political establishment thing that made UKIP popular starts to get further away: especially if Farage stands down and they're led by a guy who's been an MP for a while. Although there are the Euro elections in 2019 and that might spark the thing again, you can't really say.

KayTee posted:

Or to have seen him get kicked out due to poor attendance or something.

this can't happen or galloway would have been gone a long time ago

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
An FT smear piece tries to suggest that the business community is unhappy with the Tories:

quote:

Business leaders have become frustrated at the tactics and tone of the Conservative election campaign, amid concern in British boardrooms that Ed Miliband is mounting a stiffer challenge for Number 10 than expected.

Twenty FTSE 100 and other business leaders have told the Financial Times they are anxious that — despite presiding over an economic recovery — David Cameron has not opened a lead over Labour.

In particular, they criticise the strident personal attacks on the opposition and the flurry of big-spending promises that jar with the party’s prudent fiscal record. “The negative campaign has been disastrous,” said one company chairman.

Several FTSE 100 chiefs suggested the Tories had underestimated Mr Miliband’s qualities and potential to appeal to the electorate when devising their electoral strategy. The Labour leader is now rated by bookmakers as favourite to be the next prime minister. “Every time Miliband is visible, he appears credible,” said one business leader.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/b548dc66-e8f4-11e4-87fe-00144feab7de.html#axzz3YDOJi0WH

HSBC is likely to move its HQ out of London:

quote:

The board has therefore now asked management to commence work to look at where the best place is for HSBC to be headquartered in this new environment[...]

One economic uncertainty stands out, that of continuing UK membership of the EU. In February we published a major research study which concluded that working to complete the Single Market in services and reforming the EU to make it more competitive were far less risky than going it alone, given the importance of EU markets to British trade.

http://www.investegate.co.uk/hsbc-holdings-plc--hsba-/rns/agm-statements/201504240853222386L/

And the Tory reaction:

SNAKES N CAKES fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 24, 2015

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

pumpinglemma posted:

Fees have been in place since the late 90s, so the cohort that pays them goes back to the early 80s, not 94. Anyone who "avoids" fees by paying them off up front with a lump sum will pay far more in real/present value terms than most people. The Government can contract any company to collect taxes if it so desires, just as easily as it can sell off the SLC's loanbooks. The income threshold is indexed to wage growth, which historically matches or exceeds inflation.

More to the point, if you want a more generous state with better funded social services, we are all going to have to start paying a bit more tax. We pay much lower taxes than we used to before Maggie came along, and substantially lower rates than the citizens of most other European countries. That necessarily reduces the funding available for services such as the NHS, welfare, social care, and schools. It seems insane for someone supposedly on the left to oppose one of the few measures taken in recent years to directly address this problem.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Party Boat posted:

They'd need to do something because by 2020 their core vote is going to start dying off.

Or alternatively, it might even grow. If we assume that a large part of the UKIP vote are disenfranchised working class in their 40s-50s, then they'll only start to become OAPs by 2020, in which case their propensity to vote increases accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Prince John posted:

Quite randomly, a letter from Shirley Williams regarding the SNP was emailed to me, specifically wanting to highlight their opinion of the SNP's record to the English, given their newly enhanced profile south of the border. I normally have quite a lot of time for her opinions, so I'll repost it here:

Got to the beds claim (that 1,000 fewer beds are available now than in 2012), looked up the England figures and found that England has 6,000 fewer beds available now compared to 2012. Anyway, we all know that politics isn't about facts so I'll go back to not posting again

• Locked thread