Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Marley Wants More posted:

It wasn't surprised, it pinged on that cat right away. If the rabbits in my yard are any indication, the first defensive tactic is to sit absolutely still and hope the predator doesn't see them. When they realize that's not working they haul rear end.

Yeah, my roommate had a rabbit and I had a cat. On the few occasions the cat got into the rabbit's room when the rabbit was out of her cage, the rabbit did about six laps around the room at chest height before anybody could grab the cat and throw him out of the room.

Compare to the one time the kitten climbed on top of the birdcage and swatted at the African Grey parrot -- I'm surprised the cat didn't lose a toe. Now the cat likes to lounge under the birdcage, while the bird tries to dig through the floor while mumbling expletives.

chitoryu12 posted:

Specifically, the evidence against her was that she was caught with a cocked and locked AK and .45 pistol and wilderness survival supplies in her car and her baby daddy (who's in a 30-year stint in prison) had left voicemails for her indicating that she was participating in an attempted prison raid. She claims that she was unlawfully arrested because the weapons were legally owned and was arrested in a different city than the one where the prison is
drat, I was hoping she'd gotten a (perfectly justified) beatdown, and was trying to ride Rodney King's coattails.

Skaw posted:

Look at the Minecraft Modding thread(also full of schadenfreude) for how defensive certain people get over the mods they create. Especially when there is money involved, no matter how little of it can be earned through adf.ly links.
Conversely, I looked at the Android game store the other day, and it's fully a third Minecraft ripoffs, mostly using the Minecraft default textures. Apparently Notch was too busy counting his money to sue them out of existence. I have a feeling that's going to change in a very scoodyfroody way soon, now that Microsoft bought him out.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I figure most people mean "reformatted" when they say "wiped", which usually does maintain the integrity of the data, just removes the index that tells a computer where to find it. A lot of people assume that's good enough.

But yeah, if they did a proper job and rewrote everything with junk data, that poo poo's gone.
The whatsit is on me: I tried to make a bootable Linux USB key, something crapped out in the procees, and now my 32GB thumbdrive reads as 512MB.

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

AutoArgus posted:

So the rage boils down to "How dare the people who were making all this garbage for free suddenly race to put prices on it but then discover that their bolt-ons to someone else's product don't primarily benefit them"? And none of them are considering "Maybe don't charge for your poo poo if you don't want valve getting a slice?"

Man, maybe it's a good thing I barely have time for gaming anymore..

E: \/\/\/ Yeah, Jesus. "What if it breaks" then go back to whatever jackhole made you the broken thing, not the guy who let him put it on the shelf in the first place

That was my thought too - I'm sure there has to be a policy in place where if someone is dissatisfied, they can get a refund or credit from Valve. If that's not the case, I could see their point in paying for a mod and basically getting screwed out of a few bucks if it doesn't work or breaks the game. Otherwise, I couldn't care less, the last time I did any game modding was back in the late 90s and early 2000s when I'd play Quake or Doom games with my buddies online.

E: also wonder how they'd treat this if someone made a mod using a celebrity likeness and charged for it, e.g. the Macho Man dragon mod. Would the Poffo family have grounds to say "give us a cut or we'll sue?" Could potentially turn into a shitstorm if people aren't careful.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Apr 24, 2015

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is this a sequel to 'Go! Bwaaah!'?

I can deduce the reasoning thus: "Ok then, If I lead the dog, then it can't possibly pull me away!"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wow, both May and Hammond have said that they won't be returning to a new season of Top Gear without their 'buddy'.

BBC still wants to make a new season - which means they'll need to find a completely new group of people to host the show.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nsyef_botchamania-273_sport#from=embediframe

More Botchamania

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wow, both May and Hammond have said that they won't be returning to a new season of Top Gear without their 'buddy'.

BBC still wants to make a new season - which means they'll need to find a completely new group of people to host the show.

No matter who they get there's no way it'll be as bad as Top Gear US.

I imagine they're figuring Clarkson is gonna get his own show soon on another channel and it'd be better to show loyalty to sink a spot on that show than to take part in some Clarkson-less Top Gear that'd probably just get made fun of.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnYQw93j_8c

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9GuQnM3tgA

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Ian Richardson's last role?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Staryberry posted:

This is only schadenfreude if you were rooting for the caiman, but I thought you guys would enjoy it in any case

I would like to point out that this awesome predator has only one eye.

Seriously, not a cat to mess with.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Bonster posted:

I love how happy it is as it trots away.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Bonster posted:

One eye, eats caimans...that cat is feline Big Boss.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

sudonim posted:

One eye, eats caimans...that cat is feline Big Boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYzqbsRbVyw

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

What the gently caress?! At 0:29 a guy laughs as he pulls in front of an oncoming motorcycle...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The name is not pronounce "De-wayne" if it's spelled as "Duane" you loving American degenerates.

The part where the rapist got shot in the face was pretty great though!

Ps what the hell were you thinking Gaben?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

The name is not pronounce "De-wayne" if it's spelled as "Duane" you loving American degenerates.

Racist

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Bonster posted:

I don't know if he has one eye, or is just a little squinty, but the whole video is awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBNYwxDZ_pA

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Is the caiman already dead or just paralyzed as it's being carried away?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is the caiman already dead or just paralyzed as it's being carried away?

Jaguars usually kill by biting through their prey's brain. You can tell in the video by the end he's got it by the skull. So yeah, ded.

Edit
Imagine these going into your skull.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Apr 24, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Staryberry posted:

I don't know if he has one eye, or is just a little squinty, but the whole video is awesome:

The jaguar's spots stand out against the green grass, but on the shoreline with the reeds an poo poo that's some perfect camo.

Kitty pounce! :3

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Red Mundus posted:

In nerdy Schadenfreude Steam now allows people to charge for mods.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Oh my it keeps getting better! :allears:

Sorry to keep harping on about it but this is incredible.
http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/33qcaj/the_experiment_has_failed_my_exit_from_the/

Modder gets contacted by Valve to spear-head paid mods program. Modders gets ripped apart online and decides to remove all of his paid mods and release them for free.

However Valve's lawyer contacts him and.....

lol posted:

Real-time update - I was just contacted by Valve's lawyer. He stated that they will not remove the content unless "legally compelled to do so", and that they will make the file visible only to currently paid users. I am beside myself with anger right now as they try to tell me what I can do with my own content. The copyright situation with Art of the Catch is shades of grey, but in Arissa 2.0's case, it's black and white; that's 100% mine and Griefmyst's work, and I should be able to dictate its distribution if I so choose. Unbelievable.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Staryberry posted:

It's a good reason to hunt caimans, relative to a sprinty mammal.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

I remember that scene from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Red Mundus posted:

Oh my it keeps getting better! :allears:

Sorry to keep harping on about it but this is incredible.
http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/33qcaj/the_experiment_has_failed_my_exit_from_the/

Modder gets contacted by Valve to spear-head paid mods program. Modders gets ripped apart online and decides to remove all of his paid mods and release them for free.

However Valve's lawyer contacts him and.....

quote:

Real-time update - I was just contacted by Valve's lawyer. He stated that they will not remove the content unless "legally compelled to do so", and that they will make the file visible only to currently paid users. I am beside myself with anger right now as they try to tell me what I can do with my own content. The copyright situation with Art of the Catch is shades of grey, but in Arissa 2.0's case, it's black and white; that's 100% mine and Griefmyst's work, and I should be able to dictate its distribution if I so choose. Unbelievable.

How dare Valve stick to the terms of a contract agreed upon beforehand!

I'm guessing anyone reminding people in these Reddit threads that "No, it's not yours, it's Bethesda's." is just downvoted.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

Schadenfreude Thread: Valve Took a $74.99 Cut of My Horse's oval office :qq:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Elfface posted:

I'm guessing anyone reminding people in these Reddit threads that "No, it's not yours, it's Bethesda's." is just downvoted.

Yeah, they've made a value based judgement using emotion. No amount of facts or evidence will sway them. See anti-vaxxers, truthers, creationists and holistic medicine.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Elfface posted:

This came up in the Skyrim Modding thread:

Tindahbawx posted:

Interestingly any of the paid mods I click on now give this message:

Leading some to think that this whole pay-for-mods experiment may be on the way out already.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

flosofl posted:

Yeah, they've made a value based judgement using emotion. No amount of facts or evidence will sway them. See anti-vaxxers, truthers, creationists and holistic medicine.

That's very true, wanting control over something you have personally created and having moral standing to complain even if not legal is exactly the same as a total rejection of basic science.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

That's very true, wanting control over something you have personally created and having moral standing to complain even if not legal is exactly the same as a total rejection of basic science.

You must post at Reddit a lot.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'll have the last laugh when my "Gotta Go Fast: Sonic" mod for Crusader Kings II gets me rich

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

flosofl posted:

If it's code and assets that they designed and added to a program, it arguable that they own that bit of code.

That said, I get the feeling Valve put a ton of stipulations in the contract and the morons didn't read it or read it incorrectly. It could be argued that they could hardly be expected to, but then if they were so passionate about their work maybe they should have sought legal counsel before agreeing to a contract.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Apr 24, 2015

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

flosofl posted:

:goonsay:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

If it's code and assets that they designed and added to a program, it arguable that they own that bit of code.

That said, I get the feeling Valve put a ton of stipulations in the contract and the morons didn't read it or read it correctly. It could be argued that they could hardly be expected to, but then if they were so passionate about their work maybe they should have sought legal counsel before agreeing to a contract.

If they used tools provided by Bethesda or whoever, they probably have clauses that anything made using them is owned etc etc.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Elfface posted:

This is also the exact same policy they use for whole games that get pulled off of steam, anyone that bought it before the removal can still download/play it through steam. Somehow he thinks that rules that count for EA and other large publishers don't count for him.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

If they used tools provided by Bethesda or whoever, they probably have clauses that anything made using them is owned etc etc.

That's likely true. Wasn't there a case where some other software had similar stipulations in their EULA that the software creator was part-owner of all works made using the product? It wasn't like, a mod tool set or anything, I think it was something people would actually use to make other software. I know it's a bit vague, but if anyone can remember it'd be a good fit for this thread. People were not happy.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Hey guys this is a great argument but what do you think about Gamergate?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

oakwoodNS, eh? :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

zakharov posted:

Hey guys this is a great argument but what do you think about Gamergate?

Looks black and blue to me

• Locked thread