Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Sociopastry posted:

besides what's already on the wiki, anything else for Pillars of Eternity? any skills I shouldn't invest in? Anything I should know about locking myself out of sidequests?
Oh uh I am surprised there isn't a lot of stuff on the wiki. I have a whole text file full of notes and cut-pastes from the thread that I'll try and remember to post when I get home.

As far as skills go, only your main character's skills count for skill checks during conversation. I've seen conversation checks for survival, mechanics, and lore. There are party-wide checks for athletics (save vs damage) so you'll eventually want all characters to have 5 points in it for both that and fatigue but it doesn't really matter for the first half of the game. You'll want one char to focus on mechanics since locks and traps are really important. Survival is useful later for the potion time increase.

There are a few points late-game where you can get locked out of sidequests, but generally that's just by bypassing them and finding different routes to your goal. You'll be max level in the game if you try to do even half the sidequests; doing a completionist run is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Oh uh I am surprised there isn't a lot of stuff on the wiki. I have a whole text file full of notes and cut-pastes from the thread that I'll try and remember to post when I get home.

As far as skills go, only your main character's skills count for skill checks during conversation. I've seen conversation checks for survival, mechanics, and lore. There are party-wide checks for athletics (save vs damage) so you'll eventually want all characters to have 5 points in it for both that and fatigue but it doesn't really matter for the first half of the game. You'll want one char to focus on mechanics since locks and traps are really important. Survival is useful later for the potion time increase.

There are a few points late-game where you can get locked out of sidequests, but generally that's just by bypassing them and finding different routes to your goal. You'll be max level in the game if you try to do even half the sidequests; doing a completionist run is hard.

Very useful, thank you!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm not sure if there's anything for it yet, but some tips for One Finger Death Punch:
- Resist the urge to restart a level every time you do less than perfectly. The game dynamically adjusts the difficulty, so if you make it think you're perfectly acing all the levels, it'll scale itself up to try and give you a challenge.
- Just go with the flow. The game is a simple and elegant timewaster, and there's nothing you can lose permanently, so just play it naturally without worrying about perfect scores or whatever. You can always go back later.
- Achievements aren't tracked while you're offline, so if you play while offline, you'll have to go back and redo any achievement-triggering things you did, once you're online.
- Some of the achievements are just about humanly impossible (especially the high-kill-count Survivor ones, especially especially the ones for No Luca No mode.)
- You can zoom out the map. Use this to pick which paths you take.
- Try to prioritize paths that take you near/to skill challenges. A decent stock of skills can really help in some of the later levels, or for getting high survival scores.
- Skills that are great in one mode aren't necessarily very good in another. As an example, Grey/Color Guard prevents damage, but doesn't preserve your Perfect. This makes it much better in Survival mode (where you'll never get a perfect anyways) than in story mode. As a general rule, skills that give longevity are better for survival, while skills that give lethality are better for story.
- Sooner or later, Brawl Master basically becomes mandatory unless you're an insane savant of hitting the exact right button the exact right number of times as fast as humanly possible, or don't mind taking a couple hits per brawler.
- The higher difficulties increase the speed the game plays at, and the minimum it will drop down to if you're doing poorly. It doesn't actually change any of the enemies' placements.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just bought One Way Heroics in the roguelike sale. Looking for general tips.

Specific questions: What is the point of climbing mountains? Seems like it just drains a fuckton of stamina

Does energy regen? It seems like it goes back up partially if you hit zero? What causes this?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

Specific questions: What is the point of climbing mountains? Seems like it just drains a fuckton of stamina.
For the most part, climbing mountains and swimming are things you want to avoid doing. Occasionally, there can be elf villages hidden in mountains, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Anything for Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor beyond what's on the wiki?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Crypt of the NecroDancer just went gold. Any tips? Seems pretty straight forward.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm not sure if there's anything for it yet, but some tips for One Finger Death Punch:
- Resist the urge to restart a level every time you do less than perfectly. The game dynamically adjusts the difficulty, so if you make it think you're perfectly acing all the levels, it'll scale itself up to try and give you a challenge.
- Just go with the flow. The game is a simple and elegant timewaster, and there's nothing you can lose permanently, so just play it naturally without worrying about perfect scores or whatever. You can always go back later.
- Achievements aren't tracked while you're offline, so if you play while offline, you'll have to go back and redo any achievement-triggering things you did, once you're online.
- Some of the achievements are just about humanly impossible (especially the high-kill-count Survivor ones, especially especially the ones for No Luca No mode.)
- You can zoom out the map. Use this to pick which paths you take.
- Try to prioritize paths that take you near/to skill challenges. A decent stock of skills can really help in some of the later levels, or for getting high survival scores.
- Skills that are great in one mode aren't necessarily very good in another. As an example, Grey/Color Guard prevents damage, but doesn't preserve your Perfect. This makes it much better in Survival mode (where you'll never get a perfect anyways) than in story mode. As a general rule, skills that give longevity are better for survival, while skills that give lethality are better for story.
- Sooner or later, Brawl Master basically becomes mandatory unless you're an insane savant of hitting the exact right button the exact right number of times as fast as humanly possible, or don't mind taking a couple hits per brawler.
- The higher difficulties increase the speed the game plays at, and the minimum it will drop down to if you're doing poorly. It doesn't actually change any of the enemies' placements.

- Any skills you get on a lower difficulty carry over to higher difficulties. Grab everything on Student difficulty even if you don't think you'll use it.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Mayor McCheese posted:

Crypt of the NecroDancer just went gold. Any tips? Seems pretty straight forward.
It mostly is.

Just keep in mind that you will always attack if a valid target is in the direction you're trying to move. So, if you have a weapon that hits wide or long, you can end up taking a swing instead of dodging while getting mobbed. Reach weapons are almost always worth it, though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Anything for Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor beyond what's on the wiki?

Only that there's no points of no return, even after you finish the main plot you can go back and free-roam to pick up collectables, do side quests, and play orc politics. Progressing the main plot unlocks lots of abilities, so feel free to beeline the main plot a bit to unlock powers, you won't lock yourself out of anything by progressing too fast.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mayor McCheese posted:

- You can bomb altars for items.
- You can break barrels and containers by pushing them on the blade traps on the floor, it also disables the traps themselves.
- Otherwise you can break containers with basic attacks if you deal 3 damage or more per hit, most commonly from obsidian or glass weapons. Bombs will obviously do the job, and the Fireball spell works as well.
- Walls marked with X have a special room under them and walls with a blue glint have diamonds or gold.
- The basic drum is a big gamechanger since it gives you a method to stand still instead of forcing you to move on every turn, it's extremely useful with a little practice.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Throw me some stuff about Thief 4.

Yeah, it's bad and blasphemous and all, but I tend to enjoy stealth games even when they are badly made.

What I'd like to hear:
-Recommended difficulty for a Thief veteran
-If the secondary objectives have important/good/easily missable content

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Kanfy posted:

- You can bomb altars for items.
- You can break barrels and containers by pushing them on the blade traps on the floor, it also disables the traps themselves.
- Otherwise you can break containers with basic attacks if you deal 3 damage or more per hit, most commonly from obsidian or glass weapons. Bombs will obviously do the job, and the Fireball spell works as well.
- Walls marked with X have a special room under them and walls with a blue glint have diamonds or gold.
- The basic drum is a big gamechanger since it gives you a method to stand still instead of forcing you to move on every turn, it's extremely useful with a little practice.

Thanks for this!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Couple more things I remembered, even without a torch you can find some hidden rooms below your location by checking the walls, if the walls at the southern edge of the room have their opposite side visible it means there's space on the other side.

Like so:

You should also check seemingly empty hidden rooms because they sometimes have invisible treasure chests in them that appear when you step on a nearby tile.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Kennel posted:

Throw me some stuff about Thief 4.

Yeah, it's bad and blasphemous and all, but I tend to enjoy stealth games even when they are badly made.

What I'd like to hear:
-Recommended difficulty for a Thief veteran
-If the secondary objectives have important/good/easily missable content

Seconding this, since I was just given it for free last week and haven't gotten much past the tutorial.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Max Payne stuff
Thanks, that seems to help. It feels like I'm constantly on the edge of death even at easiest difficulty and with full lock-on, but I never actually die so I must be doing something right. :v:

Pretty fun game, glad it was on sale recently or I'd have never picked it up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Thanks, that seems to help. It feels like I'm constantly on the edge of death even at easiest difficulty and with full lock-on, but I never actually die so I must be doing something right. :v:

Pretty fun game, glad it was on sale recently or I'd have never picked it up.

The series is known for its dynamic difficulty meaning the game adjusts things like enemy accuracy and painkillers. In Max Payne 3 this means you get extra painkillers when you die and reload but I don't know if it adjusts enemies like in the previous games.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Anything for Shovel Knight?

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
It might be on the wiki, sorry if it is but I'm just giving Castlevania: Symphony of the Night a go on Xbox 360 and I'm a tad lost.

I've only ever played Super Castlevania on the SNES when I was around 9 and this seem quite abit different.
I've figured the controls but what do the items do? how do I access them? and what do I need to know?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

It might be on the wiki, sorry if it is but I'm just giving Castlevania: Symphony of the Night a go on Xbox 360 and I'm a tad lost.

I've only ever played Super Castlevania on the SNES when I was around 9 and this seem quite abit different.
I've figured the controls but what do the items do? how do I access them? and what do I need to know?

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Castlevania:_Symphony_of_the_Night

It's an action RPG. You will level up and unlock abilities within the castle. Explore the map, take a mental note of areas you cannot access as you will need to backtrack often. The game doesn't explain all of its mechanics regarding gear/items, and also be aware that some weapons have special moves tied to them -- mostly a fireball motion or back-forward.

Most expendable items are used to heal yourself or thrown one-time-use weapons.

For sub-weapons, I like Daggers for spamming and Holy Water is a solid choice, if a little tricky to use.

Edit: That last sentence on the wiki is very important.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 26, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

tensai posted:

Nothing really, there's nothing missable or tricky to worry about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Other than re-using lots of sprites and being about killing Dracula there isn't a lot in common between the two mechanically.

There is a pause menu that brings up a full inventory. From here you can equip gear (do this constantly) or use items (you will do this rarely if ever)

The game is basically an action-RPG with a heavy exploration element. What this means is you should always progress in directions you can go and try and note paths you couldn't progress past and what was blocking you. As you beat bosses you'll get new permanent improvements to your character that will enable you transverse these obstacles thus opening up new paths and repeating the process.

You have a spells available to you that are done by basically doing fighting game inputs. Once you've done the combination once the game will note the inputs in your inventory screen under spells. This means by simply looking up a list of spells you can do them all once and have access to them immediately. Note, these skills are almost entirely gimmicks and the game is nowhere even remotely hard enough to necessitate using them.

Leveling is super, super important as is maintaining gear. If you're having difficulty with a boss they all have very static patterns but like almost any RPG with a little bit of level grinding you can just overwhelm them with your improved stats.

If you explore thoroughly you'll meet another character who will give you an set of goggles or glasses or some such that says it will reveal hidden things. By equipping this then fighting the final boss of the castle a new "ending" is obtainable which will unlock the rest of the game. If its your first time through don't worry too much about finding the item until you get an ending for beating the game with the bad ending.

There are some exceedingly broken weapons/combinations. The game is not even remotely hard enough to worry about them but if you're particularly stuck know that you can look these up and basically trounce all difficulty in the game with them regardless of level.

tensai posted:

Every level has a sub weapon you can find in a hidden room. If you beat the stage without getting it, don't fret, you can just buy it for a slightly inflated rate back in town.

If its your first time your money should be going to upgrading your health/magic then buying sub weapons. Armor and Weapon upgrades are basically near-pointless money sinks.

Go to the Trouple Lake or whatever the starting lake is called ASAP as this unlocks items that let you fully heal yourself in a level which can be invaluable.

You can destroy checkpoints for money. The amount you get is pathetic and it will permanently destroy the checkpoint so unless you're extremely confident with your ability to get to the next area don't do it.

There are breakable walls throughout the game. Usually something is off about the texture and a single good whack will break them wide open. They're chock full of treasure so do be on the lookout.

Music pieces you collect can be sold to the bard in the starting town. You don't lose the music pieces when you die so if you have a bad habit of dying constantly you can hang onto them as a final cash infusion when shopping in town.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 26, 2015

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

You have a spells available to you that are done by basically doing fighting game inputs. Once you've done the combination once the game will note the inputs in your inventory screen under spells. This means by simply looking up a list of spells you can do them all once and have access to them immediately. Note, these skills are almost entirely gimmicks and the game is nowhere even remotely hard enough to necessitate using them.

One thing to note about trying to unlock spells is you need to have the mana required to cast them. You can be doing the input correctly all day long but not cast the spell due to being too low level.

drat good game.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The Long Dark? I spent a day poking around some houses by a lake, then the next day a wolf ate me. I doubt I would have survived much longer than that though.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

The Long Dark? I spent a day poking around some houses by a lake, then the next day a wolf ate me. I doubt I would have survived much longer than that though.

I haven't played The Long Dark in a few months so it's probably changed a bit, but:

Pilgrim mode is a great way to get your feet wet and learn the game before trying it for real. Animals won't attack you, and your hunger/thirst/coldness bars won't deplete nearly as quickly.

Mystery Lake has less good spots for loot than Coastal Highway, but most of the really good foraging spots at Coastal Highway are camped by wolves, so Mystery Lake is probably slightly easier to survive in for a beginner. I haven't really played Pleasant Valley enough to say one way or the other.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that nearly all resources in the game are both randomized and finite. Eventually you will reach a point where you won't realistically be able to replenish any resources other than firewood. Making everything you find last as long as possible is a core strategy to the game.

On that note, matches are your most precious resource. Eventually they will run out and you will have no way to set any new fires, which means a quick death. The way around this is to set a "permafire." Once you get a fire going, it will not usually go out if you keep feeding it with new firewood. You can get a fire permanently burning this way, though you will need to spend a lot of time every day gathering firewood, somewhere around the ballpark of 6 hours without tools.

Don't ever be outside either at night or during a blizzard unless you have a really, really good reason for doing so.

If you get caught in a blizzard and are way far away from shelter and in poor health, you can slow your cooling off by standing in an area shielded from the wind. Standing by big rocks and cliff faces will drop the wind chill a lot.

Don't pick up anything unless you need it right then, except for possibly food items. Item degradation doesn't start until you pick things up, or at least goes much much more quickly when you do. This especially applies to tools and matches.

Be careful of the dam. There's plenty of great loot in there but there's frequently a wolf as well. Don't ever go inside while you're weak.

It's OK to be starving or dehydrated. In fact to lengthen your survival times you'll want to game starvation quite a bit. Your health depletes at a much slower rate than your stored calorie count does, so the best way to make your food last as long as possible is to wait until you're seriously starving (like at 50% health or lower) and then eat 800 calories or so. By the time you hit 0 calories again you'll have healed back to maximum and can repeat the process.

There's a hidden bunker in the Mystery Lake area. Its location changes every game but there's a ton of great stuff down there. You can usually survive down there for at least a week or two with just the stuff that's there.

The fastest and most economical way to get food is to make lots of rabbit snares in an area with rabbits. For endurance runs (surviving long past when other supplies run out) this will be your primary source of food.

Don't shoot wildlife until it's very close. If you don't drop the animal immediately, there's a very good chance it will get away and you'll have wasted the bullet. This is especially true with deer, less so with wolves.

A good way to get venison without wasting a bullet is to lure a wolf toward a deer, then toss a flare at it after it's killed it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's one spell in Symphony of the Night, which you'll be able to cast relatively early, that siphons HP from enemies. Use all your willpower from cheesing this if you discover it (which is very easy by accident), it's such a crutch.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

tensai posted:

- Get the downward stab upgrade for your shovel ASAP. makes combat easier and much more fun Another good upgrade to get is the one that gives you a charge attack for two consecutive downward stabs.

- You can return to earlier levels at any time and face the bosses again if you need to grind for cash/want to complete challenges.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
The spell is called Soul Steal. The input is ←→↘↓↙←→ + [ATTACK]. You need 50mp, but it will deal multiple hits to all enemies onscreen and give you pretty close to a full heal.

Dark Metamorphosis is ←↖↑↗→ + [ATTACK] and makes it so that enemies bleeding on you gives you health. It's not quite as clutch but cheaper to cast and can be hand in certain areas.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

tensai posted:

From pretty long ago:

paco650 posted:

You can upgrade your stats to a total of 10 health and 100 magic. Health should be your top priority 3 Meal Tickets are sold by the goat, the rest are found after every third boss, though magic is a close second and will become more and more important as the game progresses. Top off early.

Troupple King's buffs are useful and free. Look up how to get both chalices early because you'd be a fool to pass them by. On a related note, fishing spots that spawn a troupple pal are consistent, keep them in mind if you found one near a challenging section.

As far as I know, you cannot permanently miss relics. Most of them are easy to get to at any rate. Many dungeons are built around the item found within, Legend of Zelda-style.

You can smash savepoints for quick cash, but it will disable the checkpoint for the rest of that particular dungeon run.

If you're finding a particular level or fight challenging, don't be afraid of loving off back to the blacksmiths for upgrades. Some upgrades can make awful levels a cinch. Ornate Plate will make you fabulous.

The Hall of Heroes is a sidequest that you can ignore as long as you'd like. There are music sheets and a well-paying boss battle to offset the cost of entry, but the level's gimmick can be frustrating if you're not proficient in juggling.

The Hat Shop/Mr. Hat battle is another sidequest that costs gold to get going. Hunt him down three times after the fight to get some gold back. Don't leave town or he'll vanish.

If you're on the 3DS: streetpasses are an easy way to make some gold. It pits your 'ghost' against a mirror version of some other shmuck's 'ghost' for 3 battles with a 5-second time limit each. If you play to kill instead of gathering the most gems, you'll win 9 times out of 10. Spam fireballs or the horn and you're golden.

Try fishing and swimming in Troupple Pond.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

when you get attacked by a wolf mash LMB as quickly as you can until the bar is completely full, then hit RMB and repeat. A couple of solid hits is usually enough to fend off a wolf, even without a weapon, assuming your condition isn't too low.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

OptimusShr posted:

- Get the downward stab upgrade for your shovel ASAP. makes combat easier and much more fun Another good upgrade to get is the one that gives you a charge attack for two consecutive downward stabs.

You have the Downward Stab right from the get-go, but the other upgrade you're describing (the Dynamo Mail) is awesome and should be bought ASAP. Note that you can charge it by bouncing off of dirt piles too.

quote:

The Hat Shop/Mr. Hat battle is another sidequest that costs gold to get going. Hunt him down three times after the fight to get some gold back. Don't leave town or he'll vanish.

You can talk to him after that fight? I saw him on the roof of the building after the fight but couldn't figure out how to get to him (I didn't have the Propeller Dagger yet)

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Zushio posted:

The spell is called Soul Steal. The input is ←→↘↓↙←→ + [ATTACK]. You need 50mp, but it will deal multiple hits to all enemies onscreen and give you pretty close to a full heal.

Dark Metamorphosis is ←↖↑↗→ + [ATTACK] and makes it so that enemies bleeding on you gives you health. It's not quite as clutch but cheaper to cast and can be hand in certain areas.

The big problem with dark metamorphosis though is the most enemies don't bleed. Soul steal is the FAR better spell.

quote:

You have the Downward Stab right from the get-go, but the other upgrade you're describing (the Dynamo Mail) is awesome and should be bought ASAP. Note that you can charge it by bouncing off of dirt piles too.

You do? I could have sworn you needed to buy it. I should fire up the game again.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Important note about the Downward Stab: the input for it is "while in the air, hold ↓". You do not need to press the attack key and doing so will kind of gently caress things up.

Knowing that would have saved me a lot of frustration on some of the earlier jumping puzzles.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Cheers guys for the Castlevania help.

I should have said I already knew it was going to be more Metroid than Super Castlevania.
After playing a few hours yesterday I found it was easier than I thought to get the hang off, I think the prologue threw me off I found a bunch of items but couldn't equip them.

Anyway I don't suppose you guys could help me again I'm just about to start up Mass Effect 2.
I know about time but I've played Mass Effect twice, watched a good few hours of buddy's playing Mass Effect 2 (including my old flatmate who played it non-stop in the lounge every night for what felt like months.) and I've played a fair amount of Mass Effect 3's multi.

I just want to know is there any little stuff I still need to know?
Also I thought I'd got all the DLC in a sale a while back but I forgot to pick up Overlord, is it worth getting now at full price?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

If you're still early, grab the Baselard (in the room with a cannon wall, next to where you see a red skeleton on a pressure plate - let him die on that plate, then use the platform immediately after it starts falling). It's short-ranged but has a ridiculous attack rate.

Buy the maps and key. Don't bother with the boss replays. Also, salable gems can be sold with no regrets, they don't have other uses.

There are a few elemental-themed areas, the elemental swords will help you a lot there.

You can access secret areas by attacking false walls. Some familiars will point those out if you wait in that room. If you find switches literally embedded in impassable walls, the devil familiar will press them.

Richter Belmont can do special attacks from the previous Castlevania (as shown in the first boss replay). This may or may not be relevant later.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zushio posted:

It also hits breakable walls, and it breaks them open since it hits a bunch of times. It also gets candles. It gets everything on-screen at once so the spectral swords, whose entire thing is having to thwack through the smaller targets to get at the sword at the center, are wrecked pretty quick as every weapon and the central sword are all hit at once.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Anyway I don't suppose you guys could help me again I'm just about to start up Mass Effect 2.
I know about time but I've played Mass Effect twice, watched a good few hours of buddy's playing Mass Effect 2 (including my old flatmate who played it non-stop in the lounge every night for what felt like months.) and I've played a fair amount of Mass Effect 3's multi.

Also I thought I'd got all the DLC in a sale a while back but I forgot to pick up Overlord, is it worth getting now at full price?

Mass Effect 2 is pretty well covered on the wiki, so check that out. As with all Bioware games, be sure to check in with your companions after each major mission to see what else they have to say. The hardest Paragon check is slightly less hard that the hardest Renegade check, but you pretty much still want to stick to one or the other. Overlord is a pretty neat mission in itself and there are two ME3 mission that references the events if you import a game where you completed it. I think it took me a few hours to get through it, which was good value for my money back then.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Overlord is cool, and it's one of the few mission strings that makes use of the woefully-underused M-44 Hammerhead. The story is pretty touching, and there's a bit of payoff in ME3, but it's by no means a Must Have.

If romance is your thing, then you can cheat or stay with your mate or forgo relations all you want. You will be confronted about your infidelity later, but not until the next game or in Liara's case, post-Shadow Broker

You really should consider sticking with Paragon or Renegade answers so you don't end up short during some crucial crew vs. crew fight and have to explain yourself afterward like some kind of scorned dog.

Fish and model spaceships are more important to buy than guns and armor, as these do carry over to the next game.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

When you're doing Samara's loyalty mission, save right before you get into the club after visiting the dead artist girl's apartment. It's really easy to mess that part up. There's also a recruitable character here that requires a really high paragon or renegade score to even get the option. Sleep with her. It's the best romance option in the game.

Mining is super important even though it's boring, the ship needs to get upgraded for the final mission. Go ahead and probe Uranus while you're at it too.

Get everything done before doing the Reaper IFF mission.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Renegade Vangard FemShep is the best and funnist way to play, and it works out really well in ME3.