Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Hy_C posted:

:negative: So its a terrible experience till 35.

personally i put landrunner's hotkey as a, and time bomb and detonate's inputs as z and spacebar respectively, so they're all easy to hit in succession. then i dash slide around the room like a crazy man in between spamming them. it's actually kinda fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I didn't find m ranger too bad since windmill kick and grenade both hit ridiculously hard and are large aoes with short cooldowns. Early M. Mech I just ignored landrunner until I had enough secret landrunner for it to be worthwhile, and you can use Magic Conversion to make grenade and windmill kick scale with magic stats. Corona's good for just constantly hitstunning everything in front of you, and once you get viper it suddenly becomes more genuinely fun - even low leveled corona (I mostly don't level it due to tight SP at high levels, though i put 3 and 1 point in the other two G series respectively for the 50% damage boost per for corona) + viper is a massive amount of rapidfire bullets autofiring in the direction you're facing.

I tend to not find leveling 1-25 too bad honestly, you burn through FP and dungeons so fast at low levels that you'll empty your bar in like an hour or two. It's 40+ that starts to get really tiresome when you have lots of alts.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
I haven't touched a few of my alts for a while. It starts getting really tedious doing Frost Cave 30 times on each character.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You gotta stagger them out, otherwise if all your alts hitting Northern Shelter at once doesn't make you want to die, all of them hitting Ghent at once certainly will.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Grinding Fanatics to 50 helped me avoid having to grind in iced wall. Doing AoI 3x a level can help as well.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mightygerm posted:

Grinding Fanatics to 50 helped me avoid having to grind in iced wall. Doing AoI 3x a level can help as well.

Wouldn't this take longer than grinding iced wall? Also what's an AoI?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

dromer posted:

Wouldn't this take longer than grinding iced wall? Also what's an AoI?

Altar of Infinity.

Also special dungeons give really good XP for some reason, sometimes even after you're past their listed level range.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ugh. F.Ranger is fun but I've hit a wall around 28, I can't kill things fast enough and I feel like I'm made out of paper. Should I just stock up on potions and plow through or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ugh. F.Ranger is fun but I've hit a wall around 28, I can't kill things fast enough and I feel like I'm made out of paper. Should I just stock up on potions and plow through or is there something I'm doing wrong?

I got stuck around the same point on my M. Ranger but my understanding of both classes is that you're not even playing a Ranger until 35-40, before that point you're just a Gunner with some weird passives that you can't really use.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That early, your launcher common skills are quite nice, probably higher dps than any of your early ranger skills. Use flamethrower and gatling gun for primary dps, especially against groups, and then use sonic spike whenever enemies get too close to you. IIRC level 30 is when you unlock Moving Fire and Gun Dance, which are the first major crowdpleasers and really let you start kicking rear end with ranger skills exclusively.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

I'm having a really strange problem with logging in: Neople seems to want me to verify my email when I log in now, but when I tell it to send the confirmation e-mail from the page I'm redirected to, it never actually sends one. I've been trapped in log-in limbo for over a day now and their support won't get back to me. Has anyone else experienced/found a way to fix this? I have no idea what to do.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I got stuck around the same point on my M. Ranger but my understanding of both classes is that you're not even playing a Ranger until 35-40, before that point you're just a Gunner with some weird passives that you can't really use.

This applies to all gunners really. They have the most piss poor class transitions out of any of the other classes. Where some classes immediately change and feel unique early on they all feel the same into their 30s.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This applies to all gunners really. They have the most piss poor class transitions out of any of the other classes. Where some classes immediately change and feel unique early on they all feel the same into their 30s.

I dunno my F.Spitfire has felt pretty drat good from the get go.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
That may be because all gunners are half-baked spitfires until they hit their stride at 30 or 35.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Excuse me, but I just made a Spitfire, and I can feel the awesomeness of flying across the screen dropping grenades pretty much instantly!

Speaking of, submitting ValkyriaZero to Catdrugs.

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

If only they released skill contracts because being able to use skills 5 levels above you really helps out.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

brennon posted:

I'm having a really strange problem with logging in: Neople seems to want me to verify my email when I log in now, but when I tell it to send the confirmation e-mail from the page I'm redirected to, it never actually sends one. I've been trapped in log-in limbo for over a day now and their support won't get back to me. Has anyone else experienced/found a way to fix this? I have no idea what to do.

First step: are you checking your junk mail for them?
Second step: did you set up a separate folder for them?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You gotta stagger them out, otherwise if all your alts hitting Northern Shelter at once doesn't make you want to die, all of them hitting Ghent at once certainly will.

My Asura reached Ice Wall as my Avenger left it. Endless Nightmare indeed. :shepicide:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Altar of Infinity.

Also special dungeons give really good XP for some reason, sometimes even after you're past their listed level range.

I never noticed Fanatics give all that great of XP. In the rooms where you have to heal behemoth it seems like a lot (most?) of the enemies that get up don't even give you XP so waiting and murdering them by the dozens is pointless?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I never noticed Fanatics give all that great of XP. In the rooms where you have to heal behemoth it seems like a lot (most?) of the enemies that get up don't even give you XP so waiting and murdering them by the dozens is pointless?

On my Glacial Master around level ~49, doing Fanatics once gave me more experience than doing a hard dungeon clear + urgent quest in an actual, level-appropriate zone.

And then there's Mount Hardt Showdown which is apparently the single best place to do all your leveling from 64-70 once you do your epics.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

My Asura reached Ice Wall as my Avenger left it. Endless Nightmare indeed. :shepicide:

I have a f.nen a witch and in a day I'll have a chaos as well in there. My elf I think is about done from that nightmare.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Cranked an Avenger up to 28 and I'm liking it a lot more than my 25 Weapon Master. I like the basic Priest attack set, for starters, feels like it can do everything the Slayer does but better, easier to use, and with cool additional features like hitting behind you, or the dash uppercut providing a second launcher with no cooldown. No aerial attacks, but Pheonix Hammer does a lot to make up for that. Mostly I just like how the skills are more clearly distinct from each other, and thus far it's been good about introducing new skills that don't leave me wondering how I'm supposed to use them. For example, I get to Thunder Mines and it feels pretty similar to Lucky Straight Punch, except that it doesn't move my character, so hey, something to use when I don't want to charge into a pack of rooted enemies. Contrast to this low-level Blademaster where I've got stuff like Ghost Slash, Gore Cross, and Moonlight Slash all occupying the same 'damage to a short arc in front' role with apparently trivial differences, at least to my newbie perspective.

And then there's Avenger's Shadow Render. Honestly this seems pretty unbalanced, I feel like it should at least be interruptable so I can't just lazily pop it off right in the middle of a group of enemies whenever I want to get three-quarters of my HP back. I do like the versatility of the demon gauge though, how there's useful things you can use it on other than the binary of Metamorphosis. Literally the only weakness of this class is that it's got these weird black stink lines coming off your character, but I guess that's just the smell of being disgustingly OP.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

brennon posted:

I logged in, got the same message, then followed the same message to a log in page. I logged in there, and it didn't work. So I went back to the message, followed the same link, and I got to the options page. It worked after that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cathair posted:

Cranked an Avenger up to 28 and I'm liking it a lot more than my 25 Weapon Master. I like the basic Priest attack set, for starters, feels like it can do everything the Slayer does but better, easier to use, and with cool additional features like hitting behind you, or the dash uppercut providing a second launcher with no cooldown. No aerial attacks, but Pheonix Hammer does a lot to make up for that. Mostly I just like how the skills are more clearly distinct from each other, and thus far it's been good about introducing new skills that don't leave me wondering how I'm supposed to use them. For example, I get to Thunder Mines and it feels pretty similar to Lucky Straight Punch, except that it doesn't move my character, so hey, something to use when I don't want to charge into a pack of rooted enemies. Contrast to this low-level Blademaster where I've got stuff like Ghost Slash, Gore Cross, and Moonlight Slash all occupying the same 'damage to a short arc in front' role with apparently trivial differences, at least to my newbie perspective.

And then there's Avenger's Shadow Render. Honestly this seems pretty unbalanced, I feel like it should at least be interruptable so I can't just lazily pop it off right in the middle of a group of enemies whenever I want to get three-quarters of my HP back. I do like the versatility of the demon gauge though, how there's useful things you can use it on other than the binary of Metamorphosis. Literally the only weakness of this class is that it's got these weird black stink lines coming off your character, but I guess that's just the smell of being disgustingly OP.

Shadow Render is so pants on head retarded that I love it. I've gone in to dungeons with fatigue from quitting out of dungeons, hit a group of enemies with Shadow Render to go from about 5% to over 50% HP, then Rapture for some MP and proceed with the regularly scheduled murder spree that is Avenger.

The awakening is nice but Demonize seems to do a lot less DPS than Metamorphing since ZXC bonus hits don't work in Demonize. I can outright kill the Arsonist boss in Ghent with a single Dark Authority and Z/X spam when I Metamorph. In Demonize it's not even close, though I still completely trash the boss with Execution and everything else.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Cathair posted:

Contrast to this low-level Blademaster where I've got stuff like Ghost Slash, Gore Cross, and Moonlight Slash all occupying the same 'damage to a short arc in front' role with apparently trivial differences, at least to my newbie perspective.

The issue here is the skills you mentioned "belong" to other Slayer classes, who unlock upgrades and add-ons to them. Ghost Slash and Moonlight Slash are Soul Bender abilities while Gore Cross is a Berserker move. Neutral Wave is for Asuras, who get nifty benefits from it (frozen and burning enemies take extra damage and it subtracts from the cooldowns of Ice and Fire Wave Sword if they're on cooldown when you use it).

You're not actually supposed to use them unless you feel you have a reason to, and the only off-class skill that you probably have a reason to use is Wave Wheel Slash, which "belongs" to Asuras but is useful to other classes as a grab move.

I haven't played Blademaster myself but from what I hear all you really need is Secret Sword Technique while wearing a Short Sword. Start from that and get creative with other skills that you have fun with.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 25, 2015

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Shadow Render is so pants on head retarded that I love it. I've gone in to dungeons with fatigue from quitting out of dungeons, hit a group of enemies with Shadow Render to go from about 5% to over 50% HP, then Rapture for some MP and proceed with the regularly scheduled murder spree that is Avenger.

The awakening is nice but Demonize seems to do a lot less DPS than Metamorphing since ZXC bonus hits don't work in Demonize. I can outright kill the Arsonist boss in Ghent with a single Dark Authority and Z/X spam when I Metamorph. In Demonize it's not even close, though I still completely trash the boss with Execution and everything else.

I thought the same thing when I first awakened but Demonize is great for enemies that debuff you. You become immune to all hitstun/knockback/stun/frozen/etc so you can freely beat down any boss in front of you.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

The issue here is the skills you mentioned "belong" to other Slayer classes, who unlock upgrades and add-ons to them. Ghost Slash and Moonlight Slash are Soul Bender abilities while Gore Cross is a Berserker move. Neutral Wave is for Asuras, who get nifty benefits from it (frozen and burning enemies take extra damage and it subtracts from the cooldowns of Ice and Fire Wave Sword if they're on cooldown when you use it).

You're not actually supposed to use them unless you feel you have a reason to, and the only off-class skill that you probably have a reason to use is Wave Wheel Slash, which "belongs" to Asuras but is useful to other classes as a grab move.

I haven't played Blademaster myself but from what I hear all you really need is Secret Sword Technique while wearing a Short Sword. Start from that and get creative with other skills that you have fun with.

Yeah, I noticed that! With Weapon Master as my first character I was really confused as to whether I ought to be taking those skills at all, and now Avenger has shown me how much more powerful skills that "belong" to a certain subclass become when used by that class. Problem is, at low levels WM doesn't really get anything class-specific other than Secret Sword Art, Drive Slash- which is hard to land properly- and a couple of Flowing Stance moves that frankly seem less useful than the cross-class skills. Now that I've played another class, though, it's started to make more sense to me, so eventually I'll go back and strip my WM to the basics and build from there.

Wave Wheel Slasher is rad as hell, yes. My favorite Slayer skill thus far and the first cross-subclass skill I picked up on. I find Mountainous Wheel fairly useful as well, since it has super armor on the latter half of it.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

A full clear of Fanatics gives 200k clear experience for 8 fatigue. Dungeons don't become that efficient again until the later half of Ghent. Even with the reanimated enemies giving 0 experience, Fanatics is also much more densely packed with XP giving enemies than any other dungeons in that level range. That said, the experience per time is not really better than any other dungeons in that level band. Both of the pentacle rooms are mandatory and take a fair amount of time to clear for very little experience. So for most people, the question comes down to how much you enjoy the really packed nature of Fanatics versus whatever Iced Wall dungeons you'd be running instead.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Eddain posted:

I thought the same thing when I first awakened but Demonize is great for enemies that debuff you. You become immune to all hitstun/knockback/stun/frozen/etc so you can freely beat down any boss in front of you.

Yeah on some bosses it's great but on most it seems like metamorphing and just turning in to a pitch black blender is the way to go. For stuff like AoI Demonize is the better choice for sure. Though if you keep grabbing the CD reduction boosts you can have an almost 100% uptime for metamorph even in your low 50s which is great.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Cathair posted:

And then there's Avenger's Shadow Render. Honestly this seems pretty unbalanced, I feel like it should at least be interruptable so I can't just lazily pop it off right in the middle of a group of enemies whenever I want to get three-quarters of my HP back.

No, don't you ever dare think this. Shadow Render used to be an absolutely horrible skill in the dark ages. Shadow Render used to only have super armor in the very first frames of the skill, the start up, so anything behind you or anything that could just tank through the hits could hit you out of it. Also it either didn't have the HP regain, or a really lovely HP regain. Shadow Render desperately needed the buff it got. In fact, all Avengers' skills before 30 needed buffing, and boy am I glad they did. Avenger was never a horrible class to level and play with, but it was absolutely weaker than many other classes.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Shadow Render goes from 'godlike' to 'very good' at high levels anyway. Avenger's always super strong but it won't be a full heal button on a 6s cd any more in the very high levels. Your health, and enemy damage, scale up waaaay faster than Shadow Render lifesteal.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Gologle posted:

No, don't you ever dare think this. Shadow Render used to be an absolutely horrible skill in the dark ages. Shadow Render used to only have super armor in the very first frames of the skill, the start up, so anything behind you or anything that could just tank through the hits could hit you out of it. Also it either didn't have the HP regain, or a really lovely HP regain. Shadow Render desperately needed the buff it got. In fact, all Avengers' skills before 30 needed buffing, and boy am I glad they did. Avenger was never a horrible class to level and play with, but it was absolutely weaker than many other classes.

Well, it doesn't feel like a complete I-win button even at these low levels, since the damage output doesn't actually seem that great compared to my other skills. Pretty satisfying to juggle a whole crowd with it after a well-placed launcher, though. TBH I'm fine with having a class that just lets me say "no, gently caress your bullshit" to certain annoying enemies or mechanics when I'm not in the mood to try to skill my way through it, so long as it doesn't completely overshadow the other things I like to play.

Speaking of which, after messing around with Blademaster some more it feels fine. Playing other classes has helped a lot with my basic proficiency and understanding- I think I was getting confused by technical terminology and trying to do more than I really needed to, when you go back to the basics of mostly aerial stabs, dash attacks, and Secret Sword Art the Blademaster feels very capable.

One thing I've found helpful is to switch to using the D-pad instead of the stick for movement on my 360 controller. The need to constantly doubletap to dash was the thing that tripped me up the most as a new player, and I find it easier and faster this way. It's not like there's any analog speed control anyway.

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Yo, here's some helpful commands you guys should bind to some key:

//setitem and //setcharacter can only be used ONCE PER DUNGEON RUN. So be careful to only use it when you really need it.

//setitem will move all items in the current room to the gate you came in from. Good for getting items that somehow warped to a location you can't move to.

//setcharacter is not as useful but you never know when your character might get stuck in some weird location.

//monitor will display a bunch of junk but the most useful feature is that it displays the ping you have with other players in the party. You can only see the ping in a dungeon, but it's useful none the less.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I wondering if we still had those commands. God drat.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah on some bosses it's great but on most it seems like metamorphing and just turning in to a pitch black blender is the way to go. For stuff like AoI Demonize is the better choice for sure. Though if you keep grabbing the CD reduction boosts you can have an almost 100% uptime for metamorph even in your low 50s which is great.

Could you clarify a bit? Is this CD reduction stuff on gear, skills or something else?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Could you clarify a bit? Is this CD reduction stuff on gear, skills or something else?

You can buy buffs in Altar of Infinity by holding the shift key to open a little menu. They're only until the end of the AoI run, though.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Necromancer.txt

Totalizator fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 26, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Totalizator posted:

Necromancer.txt

Sounds about right.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I have not seen a Necro and Vallacre once this entire time

Please buff Necromancer

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Does Magic Crit do much for summoners or is it better to just stack int on magic sealed stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
If I'm already trucking around an Elementalist that kills basically everything in one hit and can't get SSS ranks unless I hold back and do dumb stuff, would a Nen seem redundant or are they fun in their own way? I figure if Nen's too similar I might try out Grappler since Knight swapped from fun to 'chain rush feels like nonsense'.

• Locked thread