Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
I don't think the extra vote is a good idea. I used to run mafia games with occasional twists in them, and an extra vote was always a pain in the rear end. Survivor isn't Mafia, but screwing around with the voting in either game seems like it can gently caress up the game mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The players seem to think Tyler is going to win the whole thing. I keep hearing that in confessionals and ponderosa videos.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Met posted:

The players seem to think Tyler is going to win the whole thing. I keep hearing that in confessionals and ponderosa videos.

He's in a pretty good spot and seems like he could have a second gear when the time comes he has to show it. If I had to pick someone to surprise us and put together a strong win it'd be him.

Or he could go the route of Mr Moustache and fade into the wallpaper.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Met posted:

Tyler and Carloyn are the only people in that big group that aren't completely hateable, and seems to be doing better socially?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If someone Hatable actually won, how would they edit it? Less emphasis on them being an rear end in a top hat?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Met posted:

If someone Hatable actually won, how would they edit it? Less emphasis on them being an rear end in a top hat?

Probably exactly like they're editing Rodney, to be honest.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Who was the last terrible person to win? Aside from the first couple seasons, I've only been watching since Nicaragua and all those winners were fine.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Lone Goat posted:

Who was the last terrible person to win? Aside from the first couple seasons, I've only been watching since Nicaragua and all those winners were fine.

Rupert and his pity million

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lone Goat posted:

The only winners I'd say were truly hateable were from Marquesas and Amazon. Most of the others at least have redeeming features and then there are a few who were just there.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Met posted:

They could just edit like it's Big Brother.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Binary Logic posted:

They could just edit like it's Big Brother.

How do they edit?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Poque posted:

From the people that gave you "Fan Favourite: Jane on Nicaragua"

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

How do they edit?

Fill the house with hateable, horrible greedy people. and through the magic of tv editing, at the end the audience applauds one of them for winning.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

paperchaseguy posted:

I don't think the extra vote is a good idea. I used to run mafia games with occasional twists in them, and an extra vote was always a pain in the rear end. Survivor isn't Mafia, but screwing around with the voting in either game seems like it can gently caress up the game mechanics.

Don't worry, it's Dan so he'll probably mess it up or wait too long to use the extra vote. Or Tyler might find a way to screw him over.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Binary Logic posted:

Don't worry, it's Dan so he'll probably mess it up or wait too long to use the extra vote. Or Tyler might find a way to screw him over.

Tyler convinces Dan to use both votes on Carolyn, who uses her idol. Dan is voted out instead.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Tyler convinces Dan to use both votes on Carolyn, who uses her idol. Dan is voted out instead.

Tyler would be hailed as a goon hero and we'd be flush with truthers saying they liked him the whole time.

I'll take it.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Holy crap, that's an awesome idea.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
When was the last time someone intentionally tried to be a vote magnet to use an idol?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Met posted:

I reckon they could have easily made Tony look like much more of a villainous rear end in a top hat had they edited him differently. Instead, we just got endeaing #spyshack :allears:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Anyone got the thread for last season?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

blue squares posted:

Anyone got the thread for last season?

Here you go

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I don't think Tyler is getting enough confessional screen time to be the winner. Nearly every winner gets a lot of that peppered throughout the season so that they can show their story arc. Of course, maybe there has been so much drama so far this season that it's more entertaining to show all of the fighting among the survivors that have already left or will leave and he'll get more screen time towards the end of the season, but he still seems to be in the background of the action too much.

I'm also really glad that Jenn is finally gone. I found her very hypocritical and annoying. She often had this attitude of, "Survivor? Whatever I don't even caaaare!" If you're on Survivor, don't act like you're above what it takes to be on Survivor.

I like Shirin as the winner. One thing I've noticed is that she is referred to as "Yahoo Executive" in her confessionals. Now, she hasn't made herself look incredibly likable or stable, so why would they specifically list Yahoo as her employer instead of just Tech Executive or something like that? Nobody else gets the specific name of their employer listed, so why is hers, especially if she has come off as a kook for most of the season? Must be a reason Yahoo would allow their name to be used like that.

el oso fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 25, 2015

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Rarity posted:

The only winners I'd say were truly hateable were from Marquesas and Amazon.
I only watched a tiny bit of Amazon so I wouldn't know but what was so bad about the winner that the weird, creepy guy who sharpened a machete for an hour straight was the better alternative?

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 25, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Celery Face posted:

I only watched a tiny bit of Amazon so I wouldn't know but what was so bad about the winner that the weird, creepy guy who sharpened a machete for an hour straight was the better alternative?

Matt, the creepy machete lover, was great and hilarious.

He was dragged along as a goat by Rob the whole game, and in turn, he grabbed his own goat. The top secret line of communication from Rob, down to Matt, then onto Butch was one of the highlights of that season. And then (if I recall correctly), when he got to final tribal, he pretty much tried to claim that he was playing it all up and had in fact masterminded the whole thing... which of course, nobody bought. So in that way, he was kind of like the proto-Phillip Shepherd.

As for the winner, she was basically a mean girl, but back in those days the villains were much more vanilla compared to the assholes who appear on the show these days with regularity.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

elgarbo posted:

Matt, the creepy machete lover, was great and hilarious.
Yeah, I went back and watched some more clips of him and he seemed like a really nice dude, if socially awkward and scary looking. (It was hilarious when his mom called him out on his overly formal way of speaking.)

Apparently there was also a guy who was obsessed with gathering firewood and accidentally burned the camp down. That sounds amazing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Sandra seemed pretty awful to me.

Tony had a lot of charisma and was impossible not to like, but I sincerely hope that he only behaves like that in the game and not real life because then that's a pretty scary person to be a police officer.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

el oso posted:

I don't think Tyler is getting enough confessional screen time to be the winner. Nearly every winner gets a lot of that peppered throughout the season so that they can show their story arc. Of course, maybe there has been so much drama so far this season that it's more entertaining to show all of the fighting among the survivors that have already left or will leave and he'll get more screen time towards the end of the season, but he still seems to be in the background of the action too much.

I'm also really glad that Jenn is finally gone. I found her very hypocritical and annoying. She often had this attitude of, "Survivor? Whatever I don't even caaaare!" If you're on Survivor, don't act like you're above what it takes to be on Survivor.

I like Shirin as the winner. One thing I've noticed is that she is referred to as "Yahoo Executive" in her confessionals. Now, she hasn't made herself look incredibly likable or stable, so why would they specifically list Yahoo as her employer instead of just Tech Executive or something like that? Nobody else gets the specific name of their employer listed, so why is hers, especially if she has come off as a kook for most of the season? Must be a reason Yahoo would allow their name to be used like that.
Jenn was great character as a "no collar" because she's a free spirit and doesn't give a poo poo. But it's so funny that at the start she said she'd watched and wanted to be on Survivor since she was 8 years old, and then when someone she'd met 3 weeks earlier was voted out she didn't want to be there any more.

As for the Yahoo exec - have you been watching Silicon Valley? Shirin's well-adjusted and stable in comparison LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyVksFviJVE

Mean Jerk Time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-hUV9yhqgY

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 25, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Poque posted:

Word.

I legitimately stopped watching Survivor for multiple seasons because I couldn't stand him.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Found this clip and Shirin is much more composed and rational than we've been seeing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYiYGtUMn48

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Binary Logic posted:

Found this clip and Shirin is much more composed and rational than we've been seeing:

She's not an irrational person. She's quite rational and intelligent. She's just easily excitable and doesn't know how to read a room.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Nihonniboku posted:

She's not an irrational person. She's quite rational and intelligent. She's just easily excitable and doesn't know how to read a room.
Shirn's also had it rough because beside being berated by Dan and Will, she hasn't had an ally since Max was voted out.

Ten Wasted Dollars
Oct 24, 2010
I'd be disappointed if Shirin won because I think she lacks one quality that is essential to excelling at Survivor: self-awareness. "Good" Survivors tend to have a strong understanding of the dynamics of the group that they are in and how the motivations of the other contestants can be used to take them further in the game. Strong players usually have some degree of control in how they are coming across to other people. I think that Shirin has a hard time making connections with other people and ends up resorting to socially awkward jokes in lieu of actually getting to know people. I think that we're not seeing a lot of the important camp life stuff that might explain the social dynamics of the tribe, but if we look at earlier in the season there is evidence that some of the things that Shirin was doing just on a social level alienated enough people to point that they didn't want to work with her moving further and I think that a potential winner would have the self-awareness to realize the things that they do that rub people the wrong way.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Binary Logic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYiYGtUMn48

She's right, and Jeff's a little baby.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
It is somewhat surprising given Jeffs history of handling suggestions for deals that he was willing to let Will have it so easily.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
I'm starting to think Shirin might actually win this. There has to be a reason why almost everyone hated her and, while that doesn't excuse most of Will's tirade, it's something that could be easily hidden by editing.
It's 100% Shirin or Mike though; :lol: at anyone who thinks Tyler is winning.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

It is somewhat surprising given Jeffs history of handling suggestions for deals that he was willing to let Will have it so easily.

Jeff is a producer and wanted Will to have his TV moment of reading his letter and breaking down.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

ColdBlooded posted:

I'm starting to think Shirin might actually win this. There has to be a reason why almost everyone hated her and, while that doesn't excuse most of Will's tirade, it's something that could be easily hidden by editing.
It's 100% Shirin or Mike though; :lol: at anyone who thinks Tyler is winning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Jante
I see this type of behavior that Will behaved many times a year. Dare to be different and god knows what happen. I embrace it, gently caress these idiots.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm watching last season and when Natalie and Jeramey (Natalie first) gave up reward they won in order to reward John and Jacquelyn for flipping. That's a great game move and the first signs of Natalie marching to the win.

If you post anything that happens AFTER that please spoiler tag it. I'm the only person currently watching last season, though, so anything that happens prior to this episode is fair game I guess.

edit: This is a crazy post-merge season

blue squares fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 25, 2015

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

This explains everything. Shirin insulted a well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/Janglim21/status/589263635857342464

• Locked thread