Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Some Lady and Trish gameplay:
Lady
Trish

Lady's main gimmick is she can charge all her shots, and gets the majority of Dante's gunslinger moveset. Her DT is her throwing charges, and making a massive explosion around her.
Trish, however, best as I can gather, Trish will cycle through Dante's moveset based on various combos. There's some kind of gauge in her HUD which drains depending on certain moves, but I'm not really sure how it functions - maybe it's a cool down between certain Pandora moves?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well Lady seems like Easy mode.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a hands on preview
http://www.destructoid.com/devil-may-cry-4-special-edition-is-ridiculous-and-over-the-top-in-all-the-right-ways-290497.phtml
Normally I wouldn't advise people to visit all around human garbage Jim Sterlings vanity blog, but this guy really knows his DMC history and gives a nice analysis.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Polygon's also got twenty mintues of Vergil gameplay that's a touch better played and in much higher quality than the eight minute thing we got earlier. It goes through some early bloody palace and also mission 2 on Devil Hunter mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sazH0YIWXmY

e: it just dawned on me that after all these years I'll finally get that Vergil vs Dante fight that DMC3SE sidestepped. I am hella motivated right now.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 22, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

notZaar posted:

http://www.destructoid.com/devil-may-cry-4-special-edition-is-ridiculous-and-over-the-top-in-all-the-right-ways-290497.phtml
Normally I wouldn't advise people to visit all around human garbage Jim Sterlings vanity blog, but this guy really knows his DMC history and gives a nice analysis.
gently caress devil trigger, just chuck grenades everywhere.

Goddamn I want this game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pesky Splinter posted:

Some Lady and Trish gameplay:
Lady
Trish

Lady's main gimmick is she can charge all her shots, and gets the majority of Dante's gunslinger moveset. Her DT is her throwing charges, and making a massive explosion around her.
Trish, however, best as I can gather, Trish will cycle through Dante's moveset based on various combos. There's some kind of gauge in her HUD which drains depending on certain moves, but I'm not really sure how it functions - maybe it's a cool down between certain Pandora moves?

Lady looks awesome. All the explosions. Also fully charging your rocket for instant SSS rank.

ManlyGrunting posted:

e: it just dawned on me that after all these years I'll finally get that Vergil vs Dante fight that DMC3SE sidestepped. I am hella motivated right now.

I am hype for this.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Watching those Vergil videos from a while back, I was thinking that the gauge drained way too fast for how you gained it, but watching the video ManlyGrunting posted, seems that was a little premature. You can gain a whole bar just as quick as you can lose it, that's good.

Lady though :allears:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Here is the full version of that footage Pesky Splinter uploaded, featuring more stuff for Trish and a bunch of neat stuff for Vergil.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

notZaar posted:

Got a source I can read on Sterling's background? I know nothing about the guy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

notZaar posted:

quote:

Her take on double jump has her rocket launcher firing off a shot, propelling her upward and damaging foes underneath

inspired by quake

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I'd hoped they would re-jigger some of Nero and Dante's moves.
But this is amazing in and of itself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God drat, Lady looks fun as hell.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

notZaar posted:

Dude Jim Sterling hasn't worked at Destructoid for years.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

Got a source I can read on Sterling's background? I know nothing about the guy.

He's a fat white guy who makes a living from internet videos.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Dude Jim Sterling hasn't worked at Destructoid for years.

Ironically enough Destructoid somehow managed to get even worse in his absence.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddamn Vergil's moveset just clowns on Dante's with how smooth it looks. Also, I can't believe that just walking near enemies pumps the Concentration gauge, hahaha.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

Ironically enough Destructoid somehow managed to get even worse in his absence.

Destructoid doesn't seem that bad honestly.

Lady looks like they just handed her all of Dante's guns and souped them up a bunch. I love it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ManlyGrunting posted:

Polygon's also got twenty mintues of Vergil gameplay that's a touch better played and in much higher quality than the eight minute thing we got earlier. It goes through some early bloody palace and also mission 2 on Devil Hunter mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sazH0YIWXmY

I realize this is Super Vergil, but god drat he's a beast. I'm starting to get unreasonably hyped for this game.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

notZaar posted:

I realize this is Super Vergil, but god drat he's a beast. I'm starting to get unreasonably hyped for this game.

On that note, I assume all the gameplay previews feature the super versions of the characters and yet they have health regen when they activate DT. I thought that the super characters didn't have health regen since they had unlimited DT.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure they each bring unique perks to super mode. It's possible that regular Vergil will not be nearly as quick or his concentration will be much harder to raise. This was also a press demo so maybe they put a cheat on to prevent death.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh yeah, didn't the pc version have quirks for super mode that the console versions didn't, like Nero getting insta-revs automatically? I hope they keep those, my poor 360 using self would love to toy around with those (though that precludes me beating Dante Must Die mode, Berial gives me more trouble than any other boss rather consistantly and I don't know why :saddowns:).

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 24, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Vergil's Opening

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

:siren: mama nero spotted :siren:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I laughed pretty hard at that lady who just stared at Vergil like, "Ah poo poo, that 's one hunk of hot anime dude right there."

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Well since Capcom is determined to spoil the whole drat game a month before it's even released I'm going to go ahead and self-impose a media blackout for myself.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

notZaar posted:

Well since Capcom is determined to spoil the whole drat game a month before it's even released I'm going to go ahead and self-impose a media blackout for myself.

Are DMC games known for their rich, well-written stories?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

notZaar posted:

Lol, who gives a poo poo? It's a gameplay update for loving DMC.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also it's the opening and bits of the first two stages (of story and bloody palace). Literally the first things you see.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Calaveron posted:

Are DMC games known for their rich, well-written stories?

Yeah, I mean duh. DMC has a deep complex narrative on par with great works of literature.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also it's the opening and bits of the first two stages (of story and bloody palace). Literally the first things you see.

Yeah, and it's not like it matters anyway; didn't they say he only gets this cutscene or whatever, like DMC3:SE? Ditto for Trish and Lady.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 25, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
WHy didn't you link Dante eating pizza?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Beef Waifu posted:

WHy didn't you link Dante eating pizza?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEFK_O4CF0U

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
They're already spoiled a lot of the gameplay in those videos, I mean that's the reason I'm buying this game, to see how the new characters play and feel. And besides if you don't sincerely believe the cutscenes in DMC games are rad as hell then you're either lying to yourself or you're playing the wrong games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Spoil the gameplay? Holy poo poo, please walk into a loving fighting game thread saying stupid poo poo like because you do not actually know how any of these characters feel until you play the game. It's like why even advertise your loving game and go into detail about the mechanics on new characters and poo poo when people are going to incessantly bitch about how their experience is being ruined because every bit of promotion is not a blank screen. Cutscenes are great, but they are not the selling point and if you seriously care that you are seeing a cutscene outside of the loving game you are insane.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
How about I don't do that because I don't play fighting games. I know for a drat fact I would have enjoyed seeing "Judgement Cut End" for the first time in the game fresh without knowing about it beforehand.
Games like Wonderful 101 and MGR are way more enjoyable when you can appreciate the climax finishers for the first time as you're playing, for me it's a big part of the experience. And besides it's not like I'm closing the thread or telling people what or what not to post so why do you even give a poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Spoil the gameplay? Holy poo poo, please walk into a loving fighting game thread saying stupid poo poo like because you do not actually know how any of these characters feel until you play the game. It's like why even advertise your loving game and go into detail about the mechanics on new characters and poo poo when people are going to incessantly bitch about how their experience is being ruined because every bit of promotion is not a blank screen. Cutscenes are great, but they are not the selling point and if you seriously care that you are seeing a cutscene outside of the loving game you are insane.

Eh. I can understand the point honestly.

I don't really care for a DMC re-release but the cutscenes in-context and without surprise can do wonders for thing kind of game. Both examples I have are Platinum but there are several things in Wonderful 101 and Metal Gear Rising which were a lot more amazing not knowing they were coming. I didn't mind knowing about the weapons or gameplay mechanics but I'd have been disappointed if I knew about the final boss of Rising in full detail beforehand because half the fun of that was getting there and just staring at the screen in a mix of confusion and laughter.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Beef Waifu posted:

Why didn't you link Dante eating pizza?

Someone also modded DMC4 so that Dante would throw a pizza slice instead of a rose for Lucifer.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

notZaar posted:

Games like Wonderful 101 and MGR are way more enjoyable when you can appreciate the climax finishers for the first time as you're playing, for me it's a big part of the experience. And besides it's not like I'm closing the thread or telling people what or what not to post so why do you even give a poo poo.

That's a bullshit lie because when I learned about that poo poo before playing those games I lost my drat mind and got even more hyped for them to come out. You do not speak for everyone and the fact that you legit consider the game's selling points that they advertised to be spoilers is loving stupid. The fact that someone can seriously look at a game like DMC and go "No, don't tell me anything about how the game plays" is inherently stupid because that's the loving selling point of it. I give a poo poo because seeing the words "Spoil the gameplay" made my brain loving roll around in confusion for a minute that I actually saw these words from a human being with a brain in the DMC thread.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really care for a DMC re-release but the cutscenes in-context and without surprise can do wonders for thing kind of game. Both examples I have are Platinum but there are several things in Wonderful 101 and Metal Gear Rising which were a lot more amazing not knowing they were coming. I didn't mind knowing about the weapons or gameplay mechanics but I'd have been disappointed if I knew about the final boss of Rising in full detail beforehand because half the fun of that was getting there and just staring at the screen in a mix of confusion and laughter.

See above, you do not speak for the experiences of everyone else and the idea that perpetuates that simply knowing a thing is enough to deflate your enthusiasm is really sad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

See above, you do not speak for the experiences of everyone else and the idea that perpetuates that simply knowing a thing is enough to deflate your enthusiasm is really sad.

Dude, what the gently caress?

"This wasn't my experience but my experience is universal and you trying to claim it is is perpetuating a thing." Is that seriously the argument you're making? Maybe two people have different opinions and different ways of enjoying things? Unless I missed something the person you were talking to went "Well, they're spoiling things so I'm going to avoid reading up on it" and you didn't. That means you both win.

You're the one being an rear end in a top hat here. What precisely does it hurt you if someone leaves the thread to avoid spoilers because that is how they prefer to enjoy games?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 25, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My experience isn't universal and I acknowledge that. Apparently I'm a crazy person in this day and age for wanting to know things about the games I buy and that's fine. If you don't want to be spoiled on story content too, I honestly don't care about that. It's when someone legit says that they don't want to know how an actual game plays because they know for sure their entertainment that derives from it is inherently superior that it is idiotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

My experience isn't universal and I acknowledge that. Apparently I'm a crazy person in this day and age for wanting to know things about the games I buy and that's fine. If you don't want to be spoiled on story content too, I honestly don't care about that. It's when someone legit says that they don't want to know how an actual game plays because they know for sure their entertainment that derives from it is inherently superior that it is idiotic.

You're not a crazy person. I want to know as much as I can about a game's mechanics beforehand too. These are just not cases where both ideas can't exist at the same time. Like I'd understand if someone was going "stop talking about the video game in the thread about the video game" because that would be dumb but as near as I can tell nobody said that. He just said "Capcom is spoiling it so I'm stepping out of the thread" and then you started in on him.

The element of surprise is really important to some people and what they want to get surprised on can vary from person to person. Unless they're being an rear end in a top hat about it I don't see why it matters I guess. Who cares how someone else enjoys a game unless they're trying to make you do the same? It's their money to spend if they want to play a game without looking up info about it. (And god knows that happens often enough anyway.)

I think we can all agree however that Vergil looks totally sweet and is going to be fun as hell to play as.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 25, 2015

• Locked thread