Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I don't know when exactly their clock resets, but I just got the new Magician from Samsung after being blocked from it eight hours ago.

Was surprised to see improvement in the graphs immediately, because there was no 'rewriting all data' stage during the firmware upgrade. The first 30GB on the disk (presumably the entire Windows install) used to drop to around 100MB/s (even after the C firmware) and now it sort of wobbles a bit between 250 and 300.

Fingers crossed it sticks this time!

e: In an hour of using the computer regularly, average went up to around 330, which is more or less in line with the rest of the drive. Gonna let the thing idle a bit, see where this is going.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Mine is just over 400MB/s across the entire disk now.

Was actually fine on the C firmware - I did see the same drops reappear a while after running the performance restoration tool but they didn't come back after forcing a rewrite of the entire thing with diskfresh

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
After rebooting a couple of times, magician finally noticed there was new firmware to download.

Before:

Immediately After:

After sitting idle for 2 hours:

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Installed the 840 Evo update and ran the Advanced Performance Optimization thing, which is exactly the same as the old "performance restoration tool".

Considering Avulsion's graph I would not recommend running it manually, as it more or less locks up your computer for its duration.

Ignore the huge spike.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think the price per GB is low enough now that I'm considering buying a couple 850 evos to throw in my little NAS enclosure, anything to worry about with read heavy workloads on SSDs over SMB or am I good to go?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a tool I can use to secure erase on a Mac? My macs right now for some reason aren't able to boot Parted Magic.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sorry for asking a question I'm sure comes up a lot, but the OP was last updated half a year ago:

I'm on the market for a SSD. Is the 840 Evo still the drive of choice? Did they fix the sluggish old data bug mentioned in the OP? Do they come in 7mm and 9mm thicknesses (I'm not sure what one I need yet)?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
840's are good. 850's are better if they can be had for a close price.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Sorry for asking a question I'm sure comes up a lot, but the OP was last updated half a year ago:

I'm on the market for a SSD. Is the 840 Evo still the drive of choice? Did they fix the sluggish old data bug mentioned in the OP? Do they come in 7mm and 9mm thicknesses (I'm not sure what one I need yet)?

The 850 EVO is faster, more durable, and cheaper than a 840 EVO.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I'll give it a week just in case then update my 840 EVO's firmware. It's not worth replacing the SSD in this machine when I'm going to do a completely new build next year and the 840 EVO will either be an extra drive for games or I might migrate my server's boot drive onto it.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I think the price per GB is low enough now that I'm considering buying a couple 850 evos to throw in my little NAS enclosure, anything to worry about with read heavy workloads on SSDs over SMB or am I good to go?

SSDs have no real problem with reads. It's only writes that SSDs have limits on, and only when you get into truly obscene numbers. I would, however, question whether you're going to get any real benefit from it. Any decent RAID5/6 or equivalent will saturate a gigabit network on reads very easily, assuming you don't run into stupid samba bottlenecks first, samba is terrible. If you're doing a lot of random operations on them it might make sense, but you're already losing a fair bit of latency to the network.

It should be a lot faster on writes and, especially if your array is very large, the rebuilds will be faster, if that's a concern for you.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

RAID has never worked properly for me over the decades, I don't even bother anymore. Don't need a ton of capacity or speed just want silent SSDs next to the TV and I can waste money so why not.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm pretty sure the right HDDs aren't a real noise issue.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
gently caress bitches, smoke trees, ssd everything

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Peanut3141 posted:

The 850 EVO is faster, more durable, and cheaper than a 840 EVO.

Okay, that sounds good, but what's the catch?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mak0rz posted:

Okay, that sounds good, but what's the catch?

You might get Samsung'd

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Trim won't work on them in RAID (or in an enclosure, right?)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lowen SoDium posted:

You might get Samsung'd

Hah. I was just wondering why they would be better and cheaper, is all. According to reviews I'm reading it still seems to be the better model in every way. I guess the technology is more efficient to manufacture or whatever? :v:

Anyway I'll go ahead and order one. Thanks for the help, thread!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 27, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm pretty sure the right HDDs aren't a real noise issue.

My computer is fully passive/semi-passive and my two WD Greens were the loudest things in it by an order of magnitude. I'm all SSDs now with an external HDD dock for when I need stuff off the drives.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BurritoJustice posted:

My computer is fully passive/semi-passive and my two WD Greens were the loudest things in it by an order of magnitude. I'm all SSDs now with an external HDD dock for when I need stuff off the drives.

And there's nothing else making noise in your home? AC? Neighbors? Cars outside?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

And there's nothing else making noise in your home? AC? Neighbors? Cars outside?

I have a quiet study on the second floor, no AC. Cars are rare on my street. Neighbours are present but there are a lot of walls and a large gap between the houses. Is liking a silent computer weird? The drives weren't loud normally, but anyone who has use greens knows that whenever they spin up from idle they make a VERY high pitched loud whining noise for a couple seconds.

I wear headphones but they are very open backed Audio Technicas that let all the sound in.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Hah. I was just wondering why they would be better and cheaper, is all. According to reviews I'm reading it still seems to be the better model in every way. I guess the technology is more efficient to manufacture or whatever? :v:

Anyway I'll go ahead and order one. Thanks for the help, thread!

Well, I'm not going to do this as much justice as Anandtech would, but here's my understanding of why it's better and cheaper at the same time.

Samsung built the 840 EVO on 19nm technology, which is still very new and in demand. The 850 EVO NAND is made using 3D layering technology with the old 32nm process. This is a much older process that isn't in as much demand so they can accept lower margins on what they build with it. Yet the ability to stack the NAND 32 layers deep gives them higher bit density on the wafer than the 840 EVO. Plus, their 32nm yield has to be a lot better than 19nm at this point. That covers the cheaper.

The better has to do with the fact that a feature at 32nm has roughly 3-4x more area to store the charge, so a few electrons leaking of a cell out here and there won't dramatically affect your ability to distinguish between the 8 charge levels programmed into the cell when using it as TLC. Oh, and the controller is probably more efficient as Samsung iterates on their design.

Edit:
32 layers, not 24.

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 27, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Will an old rear end Intel X25-M G2 with the latest FW survive running in an old Mac Mini with 10.10 and no trim?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

Will an old rear end Intel X25-M G2 with the latest FW survive running in an old Mac Mini with 10.10 and no trim?

I ran one in a 2010 MBP for a long time with no issues. !0.6

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The 80GB X25-M G1 in my old EliteBook doesn't even support TRIM and it's survived the last 5 and a half years okay.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Speaking of TRIM...

I have it enabled on my Intel 730 boot, but TrimCheck is saying my F: drive, a 750GB 840 EVO, *doesn't* have it enabled.

How would I go about enabling it, or will I just have to manually TRIM the drive every so often? I should note that thanks to seeing a bit of access time and benchmark anomalies, I updated the new 'D' firmware, so technically the drive should be TRIMing itself during idle times.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 28, 2015

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Speaking of TRIM...

I have it enabled on my Intel 730 boot, but TrimCheck is saying my F: drive, a 750GB 840 EVO, *doesn't* have it enabled.

How would I go about enabling it, or will I just have to manually TRIM the drive every so often? I should note that thanks to seeing a bit of access time and benchmark anomalies, I updated the new 'D' firmware, so technically the drive should be TRIMing itself during idle times.

Are you sure your F: drive is on a chipset-provided SATA port, rather than some third party extra port and is in AHCI mode?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ars Technica published a pretty good article on garbage collection vs. TRIM...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/27/ask-ars-my-ssd-does-garbage-collection-so-i-dont-need-trim-right/

Long story short: it's always better to have TRIM.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Begs the question how many trim capable SSDs out there are not bring trimmed for one reason or another.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Ars Technica published a pretty good article on garbage collection vs. TRIM...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/27/ask-ars-my-ssd-does-garbage-collection-so-i-dont-need-trim-right/

Long story short: it's always better to have TRIM.

OWC claimed Sandforce drives didn't need TRIM

http://blog.macsales.com/21641-with-an-owc-ssd-theres-no-need-for-trim

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

OWC aren't exactly engineers either.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

OWC aren't exactly engineers either.

Are you accusing them of shilling their product on their own blog?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Geemer posted:

Are you sure your F: drive is on a chipset-provided SATA port, rather than some third party extra port and is in AHCI mode?

Yep - it's a Z68 board, and I've got the Marvell controller completely disabled (and I just double-checked that I'm in AHCI mode in BIOS). The 730 and EVO are the only two devices on the Intel 6Gbps ports.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 28, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

OWC does whatever it has to, to sell stock.

They once sold graphics cards for G4s that were literally pulls from G5s with part of the card sawed off, so it could fit into the standard G4 AGP slot.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

OWC does whatever it has to, to sell stock.

They once sold graphics cards for G4s that were literally pulls from G5s with part of the card sawed off, so it could fit into the standard G4 AGP slot.

Hey that's still a nice thing to do for G4 owners. Did they market them in some shady way? Overpriced?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im planning on buying an 850 Evo and putting it in my 2011 iMac. Anything I should be aware of besides the process of actually installing it and doing the fan speed control hack?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I tossed an 1tb 850 Evo SSD into a Proliant server and installed CentOS7 and it was perfectly fine. Then I added a second identical drive, turned both drives into a Raid 1, and reinstalled CentOS7. Everything seems perfectly fine, except the drive activity lights were going completely rapid-fire bonkers for 6 hours straight while the machine was idle, until I finally shut it down.

Is that normal or is there some kind of feedback loop that is causing a lot of write cycles? P410 raid controller.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Zero VGS posted:

I tossed an 1tb 850 Evo SSD into a Proliant server and installed CentOS7 and it was perfectly fine. Then I added a second identical drive, turned both drives into a Raid 1, and reinstalled CentOS7. Everything seems perfectly fine, except the drive activity lights were going completely rapid-fire bonkers for 6 hours straight while the machine was idle, until I finally shut it down.

Is that normal or is there some kind of feedback loop that is causing a lot of write cycles? P410 raid controller.

It's probably a raid sync. It should settle down after some time.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Nulldevice posted:

It's probably a raid sync. It should settle down after some time.

Oh thanks, after about 12 total hours it chilled out. Suprised two SSDs would take that long to sync.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Consumer level drive behind a raid controller gives me cold panic sweats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Computer newb question, is it going to gently caress poo poo up if I have Windows on my 128GB and then order a 256GB to put my games on?

• Locked thread