Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Anyone running at Brainerd next weekend with WRL? We'll be there with the E30 vert. Not sure if we'll have matching bodywork or not but we'll be there. Looking forward to the first race of the season.

Car #86 as usual I believe.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Help, there is a 430 scudderia in my group (mkV GTI).

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Help, there is a 430 scudderia in my group (mkV GTI).

Laugh to yourself as you get a point by. Or consequently watch him disappear in the straights only to reappear mid corner.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Anyone running at Brainerd next weekend with WRL? We'll be there with the E30 vert. Not sure if we'll have matching bodywork or not but we'll be there. Looking forward to the first race of the season.

Car #86 as usual I believe.

JAB will be there with the Golf, I'm not flying up from DC for this one though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

TrueChaos posted:

Laugh to yourself as you get a point by. Or consequently watch him disappear in the straights only to reappear mid corner.

This was me in my A3 except I was the one leaving everyone in the dust on the straights and then being hounded by angry Miatas in the corners :(

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Protip: After you add 100lbs+ of ballast to your Miata. Reset the ride height.

These were the adjustments I had to make. At least it's positioned well since Miatas tend to be light in the RR.
code:
LF - +0              RF - +9/16"
LR - +1/2"           RR - +7/8"

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TrueChaos posted:

My friend actually did get a point by driving my car by the 430. Overall a great track day. I need an LSD!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

User Error posted:

quotin myself:

We finished! We spent more time in the pits than we should have due to a couple of stupid issues, but we didn't crash it or blow up the motor. Road America is a loving awesome track. A friend of mine who helped crew our last race came through at the last minute, and I recruited a local SCCA guy and dragged along my roommate. I'm annoyed with myself for not prepping the car better but I couldn't have asked for better weather, a better track, or a better crew.

Late to the party here for follow up - you guys made a good run of it!
We were plagued with teething problems all weekend and a failed water pump.
Eeked out 50 laps on Sunday with a 2.1gpm 12v ag sprayer pump.

You don't wear a Red Bull T with Nepalese writing on it do you?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Thanks! Nope on the Red Bull T, I think I was in my firesuit 90% of the weekend to keep warm, with a Blipshift tee underneeth. Broke my heart to see you guys pull in with steam coming out 5 minutes before the end of the race.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.
I learned to drive without ABS weekend before last... :P Well.. not only that but I had to experiment to correct the bias after disabling the ABS pump/module that failed on my 350Z race car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6am-Ryx0gnw

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Speaking of spins:

Lost my right rear wheel at 100mph. My weekend was going well up till that point, took pole and won the first two heats.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiVAyM8NpFqN51-8uJMiDR-h1SdSHb5np

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nope.gif

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Welcome to flavor pucker town!

Could you hear any change in sound/vibration leading up to the crash?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

First track day this past Saturday :toot:

Since it was my first experience, my instructor wanted me to just leave it in 4th and get comfortable learning good racing lines, get better at some nice, steady breaking / throttle control and things of that nature. Since I've never obviously pushed my car to any real limits, or driven on the track, I was pretty bad about it at first- wasn't sure how hard or how soon I should go on the brakes for some of the turns.

Video's still processing on YouTube so only 360p is available right now, and the footage CAME OUT loving TERRIBLE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlS27jD6Sko
Any suggestions, short of mounting the camera externally, to prevent this next time?

That said, by the end of the day I definitely made a lot of progress, was realizing my own mistakes and making improvements and had so much fun. Too bad I don't have the money to do it with any real frequency :( Got to ride as a passenger in my instructor's Z06 on racing slicks, that was loving intense. My neck muscles got a workout.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 29, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mount it on the headrest.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

If it's a gopro you need to turn on the spot feature. That way it adjusts the exposure so it can see outside the windshield.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

BraveUlysses posted:

Welcome to flavor pucker town!

Could you hear any change in sound/vibration leading up to the crash?

At the time, no. The loss of control came on so suddenly I thought I had been punted for a moment, then I saw the wheel bouncing off into the gravel.

Looking at the video though it does seem to track a little too keenly to the right (at the Hayshed if you know the track) on the way up to the left hander where it failed. Didn't notice at the time.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Video's still processing on YouTube so only 360p is available right now, and the footage CAME OUT loving TERRIBLE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlS27jD6Sko
Any suggestions, short of mounting the camera externally, to prevent this next time?

In my Z's I put the GoPro in the center of the rear window and as far forward as possible. You can drop it down and forward more by manipulating the mount... Turn on spot metering and on the Hero 3 I think you want to set it to the medium or narrowest FOV.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I've had decent luck mounting the gopro on the inside of my sunroof. The angle from a headrest mount would be better, but the sunroof is easy if you can just stick it on the glass.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Last time I was at a track day I mounted mine externally. Obviously the noise is a concern but it held on for multiple sessions using just the suction cup. What's keeping you from external mounting?

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Anybody coming to NJMP Thunderbolt on 5/16? I'll be there breaking my car and turning it into fire.

edit: and Pocono July 11.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Thank God I live 30 minutes from ACS. Man I hate getting up and driving to tracks.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Turned off all the nannie controls. It accelerates out of corners so much smoother, I should have done that earlier. Still can't crack under 2 minutes. Maybe that's just how fast street tires can take me? Annoying.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Here is a tip for you guys. Make sure your parking brake is fully disengaged before heading out for a 40 minute race. Good thing Hawk has an awesome contingency program.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 4, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

FatCow posted:

Here is a tip for you guys. Make sure your parking brake is fully disengaged before heading out for a 40 minute race. Good thing Hawk has an awesome contingency program.

Ouch, bet you won't forget that again.

Had a pretty good weekend at BIR with WRL in the E30 Vert. 4th in our class both days and the car ran flawless the whole time. Clean racing all weekend from everyone other than two small incidents yesterday in the rain. I was able to set a new personal best lap time Sunday morning but a bit over a second from last race. We're leaning towards racing only WRL from this point on, headed to Texas World Speedway at the end of the year...94 cars registered:aaa:

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

FatCow posted:

Down on power the whole race? ;)

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
It killed me on the race start and at least from T1-T3 at VIR. The car was noticeably slow on the start. I don't think it did anything for more than a lap though. VIR is a pretty fast track and the pads would wear down to the point where the parking brake wasn't doing anything pretty quick.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm looking to get some Toyota Supra TT Bilsteins revalved, but I'm not exactly sure who to use. Looking to have them revalved for 1000-1200# springs for the front and 600# in the rear and I haven't heard fantastic things about sending them to Bilstein US . If anyone has a shop recommendation, I'd be more than willing to take it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Ouch, bet you won't forget that again.

Had a pretty good weekend at BIR with WRL in the E30 Vert. 4th in our class both days and the car ran flawless the whole time. Clean racing all weekend from everyone other than two small incidents yesterday in the rain. I was able to set a new personal best lap time Sunday morning but a bit over a second from last race. We're leaning towards racing only WRL from this point on, headed to Texas World Speedway at the end of the year...94 cars registered:aaa:

Somewhat sorry I missed it, although not really because to be honest I hate that track so much (i know you Minnesotans like it because it's yours). JAB did good without me, 1st in class on Saturday and 3rd on Sunday (lost 20 minutes changing a rear stub axle). Nick asked me if I wanted to drive at TWS but it's in three weeks and I've got to go to LA next weekend so can't make it.

Honestly though, after running a lot of Chumpcar races, and then WRL, I don't know why you'd pick the former now. Having separate classes means no stupid 4" thick rulebook designed to try and equalize Yugos with E36s.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

drgitlin posted:

Somewhat sorry I missed it, although not really because to be honest I hate that track so much (i know you Minnesotans like it because it's yours). JAB did good without me, 1st in class on Saturday and 3rd on Sunday (lost 20 minutes changing a rear stub axle). Nick asked me if I wanted to drive at TWS but it's in three weeks and I've got to go to LA next weekend so can't make it.

Honestly though, after running a lot of Chumpcar races, and then WRL, I don't know why you'd pick the former now. Having separate classes means no stupid 4" thick rulebook designed to try and equalize Yugos with E36s.

Was wondering what they were replacing. We lost about the same to a low speed collision (their fault), black flag then fixing the damage. I was glad to see you guys able to run without any major issues for the weekend. The JAB car was pretty quick and put up a decent challenge.

Yup Chump was good but over complicated and was getting to be a pain in the rear end with all the rule changes and stuff. WRL has about 15 pages of rules, cleaner racing and less bullshit. We're big fans and we've committed to running only with them with some parts that were ordered yesterday afternoon. Helps Joey is a great guy to work with.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I was up at BIR on Monday for my first HPDE of the year. First time running the long course, and set a new personal speed record somewhere north of 130 MPH. I'll be back up again for an open track day on the 31st.

My instructor actually ran in the WRL race, too. One of the E36 teams, not sure which. Must've been a long weekend for him!

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Thank God I live 30 minutes from ACS. Man I hate getting up and driving to tracks.

Out the door at 4 AM, 10 hours at the track, back home at 8 :getin:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sab669 posted:

First track day this past Saturday :toot:

Since it was my first experience, my instructor wanted me to just leave it in 4th and get comfortable learning good racing lines, get better at some nice, steady breaking / throttle control and things of that nature. Since I've never obviously pushed my car to any real limits, or driven on the track, I was pretty bad about it at first- wasn't sure how hard or how soon I should go on the brakes for some of the turns.

That said, by the end of the day I definitely made a lot of progress, was realizing my own mistakes and making improvements and had so much fun. Too bad I don't have the money to do it with any real frequency :( Got to ride as a passenger in my instructor's Z06 on racing slicks, that was loving intense. My neck muscles got a workout.

Popped my track cherry over the weekend as well. It was a smallish kart track, I think, which was a bit tight even for a miata but in the end probably a good thing as nobody went fast enough to do any real damage, mostly 2nd and occasionally 3rd and 1st gear. Most people there didn't have a rollbars either.

I have no doubts I sucked, but I was pleasantly surprised by my car. I took a ride with a guy in a modded NA and on slicks first, and I think I managed to match his corner speeds on street tires (AD08). Then in the last 1/3 of the time it started raining and I began to overtake everyone :confused:

Imagine this but with different wheels and no stylebars:

http://imgur.com/a/LbW3Y

Edit: I logged my run with Torq, are there any tools you guys use to view and analyze the data on the PC?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 11, 2015

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

mobby_6kl posted:

Edit: I logged my run with Torq, are there any tools you guys use to view and analyze the data on the PC?

I use Harry's Laptimer on my iphone to collect the data and overlaid it on my gopro footage when I got home from my most recent track day a few weeks ago.

This video is the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF24c4uAsqQ

I'm a lovely driver (I'm intermediate group/blue group/solo group whatever your org. calls it) but I'm happy with the video results because the overlay is pretty cool.

I can go into more details if anyone's curious how to do it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sure, that looks pretty good and any information would be helpful. There's an android app so I could use it as well.

However I'd still like to do something with the Torque log to monitor temperatures, throttle position and what not.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I think you can import a CSV into the AIM tools. Race Studio is pretty nice software: http://www.aimsports.com/software/index.html

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
loving yanks, I cant get ate superblue anymore! :argh:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Welcome to last year or the year before. (I can't remember)

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

Welcome to last year or the year before. (I can't remember)

I was still able to get it last year, I guess it doesn't matter cuz I can get type 200 still.

Any other options? Is the motul rbf stuff any good?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Don't ATE have Super Gold now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yes, you can still get the gold stuff. It's better anyway cause it won't stain your fluid reservoir.