Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

GreenNight posted:

Uh did anyone else notice they blurred out Chrissy Tegans boobs at the end there.

I did. I think nipples were visible through her bra, I can't remember if she wore that jacket closed before that moment, but yeah someone had to protect us from visible areola, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Ben Affleck went on Real Time and called out Bill Maher's lovely Islamophobia, he's cool in my book.

Maybe not Batman cool but he can have a go at it. Clooney did.
Ben Affleck is a shitlord.
Bill Maher is a shitlord.

These two ideas aren't mutually exclusive.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Did Larry really just spend a whole segment tonight going "Hey, white people get shot less by the police, audience!"?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Justin_Brett posted:

Did Larry really just spend a whole segment tonight going "Hey, white people get shot less by the police, audience!"?

Key & Peele tackle the racial divide better than Larry.

He finally lost me the moment he had on NdT and *wasted* him on an idiotic loving topic/premise.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 22, 2015

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Ugggggh. "Gay Marriage is a media gotcha question!"

As if Republicans didn't very recently use constitutional bans as a wedge issue to win elections. Sorry, but the issue stuck around you fuckers! It's not a gotcha just because it's politically inconvenient for you now!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That white guy not getting shot bit would have been more effective if it wasn't spoiled in the opening.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Justin_Brett posted:

Like most segments on TNS, it was a decent premise with god awful execution.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I never would have guessed that Larry's show would be such a goddamn tire fire. :(

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
That Jeff Garlin interview was gold.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
OK, I tried, but I couldn't finish this Nightly Show. The panel killed me, and not it a good "dying of laughter" way. :ughh:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What was bad about this one? I gave up after Wilmore laughed along with Mr. Lets Rape Tsarnaev because prison rape, transgender, and muslim jokes are en vogue.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

That Dana Perino interview was surprisingly tolerable. Probably because she chose not to regurgitate the contents of a Fox News memo while on TV for once in her life.

e: On TNS, "White people haven't avoided getting tickets like that since Black Annie" was a pretty funny line. I have a feeling the episode peaked there, though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 23, 2015

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That whole "my dog, why can't we be happy?, lalalala" thing is like 80% of what she does on The Five. I have no idea if it's her sincere personality or an act but it's clearly her role on the show. The Dumb Guy (I enjoy that Stewart and I both know him as that) is there to introduce the topic in a flawed and misleading way, the liberal is there to make a poorly formed argument they can rail against, the one with the gratuitous short dresses is there to make an overly agressive and poorly thought out attack on the liberal, The Troll is there to say something incredibly offensive and wildly off topic or pointless, and then Dana talks about her dog to try and cleanse the palette from what the Troll said. It's as obvious a formula once you watch a few episodes as a USA show.

Except when Juan Williams is there. And then he gloriously ruins everything.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm glad The Daily Show is going after the anti-GMO crowd for their bullshit. "I'm not a scientist" is always a good unintentional punchline.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

That whole "my dog, why can't we be happy?, lalalala" thing is like 80% of what she does on The Five. I have no idea if it's her sincere personality or an act but it's clearly her role on the show. The Dumb Guy (I enjoy that Stewart and I both know him as that) is there to introduce the topic in a flawed and misleading way, the liberal is there to make a poorly formed argument they can rail against, the one with the gratuitous short dresses is there to make an overly agressive and poorly thought out attack on the liberal, The Troll is there to say something incredibly offensive and wildly off topic or pointless, and then Dana talks about her dog to try and cleanse the palette from what the Troll said. It's as obvious a formula once you watch a few episodes as a USA show.

Except when Juan Williams is there. And then he gloriously ruins everything.

Juan Williams, he's the One Black Friend, right?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

raditts posted:

That Dana Perino interview was surprisingly tolerable.
Yeah, I hate it when people who say horrible dishonest poo poo for a living are confronted on the horrible dishonest poo poo they say and instead they get to talk about their dog and their rozy outlook on life, much better TV

"We should get together, The Five and Daily Show, like peanut butter and chocolate!"

Dana does not know how analogies work

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 24, 2015

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
I dunno what the hell was going on in that Scarface panel, did that guy do a lot of drugs or boxing? It is pretty telling though that Scarface is the one who saw the obvious joke when Larry picked up the phone and mumbled "don't be calling bullshit on me", whereas Larry went for the lame "hurrr I'm calling a hawk hahaha!" senile uncle joke.

I thought for a while maybe he just needs a new set of writers and segment producers to re-tune his show but at this point its obvious Larry isn't up to the task either. I can't even begin to imagine the ratings massacre thats going to happen in the fall when Jon goes off the air in August and Colbert begins airing in the same timeslot starting Sept 8th.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Yeah, I hate it when people who say horrible dishonest poo poo for a living are confronted on the horrible dishonest poo poo they say and instead they get to talk about their dog and their rozy outlook on life, much better TV

Jon regularly lets O'Reilly come on and spew his loving verbal sewage uncontested, at this point we all know that any "confrontation" against these people is going to be cathartic at best and blood-pressure-raising at worst, but accomplishing nothing either way.
If it's going to be a dumb softball interview it might as well be about dumb softball poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nightly Show panel gettin' weird, and not in the good way.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
really disgusted with Mo'nique

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mandy Thompson posted:

really disgusted with Mo'nique

Yeah, it's kind of like that one episode of South Park where the teacher sleeps with Ike, only played totally straight. All it's missing is the panel members going around the table saying "niiiiiiiiice"

Colbert can't come back soon enough, so I can have that as my "leave the TV on after TDS" show again.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

raditts posted:

Yeah, it's kind of like that one episode of South Park where the teacher sleeps with Ike, only played totally straight. All it's missing is the panel members going around the table saying "niiiiiiiiice"

Colbert can't come back soon enough, so I can have that as my "leave the TV on after TDS" show again.

I usually like the Nightly Show but Mo'nique sounds like a disgusting person and she shouldn't be on the panel.

There shouldn't be a double standard. The law is blind. Justice is blind. Young boys are being raped and exploited. They want to have sex in part because they are under pressure to affirm their masculinity.

Also nice stereotyping saying that young men want sex and young women want love.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

raditts posted:

Jon regularly lets O'Reilly come on and spew his loving verbal sewage uncontested

It's actually worse than that. Jon lets O'Reilly come onto his show, then acts like a douchebag to the point that O'Reilly comes across as the more level headed one. Seriously, Bill O'Reilly absolutely has Stewart's number. He knows he can just sit there, drumming up publicity for his book, and all he has to put up with is an irate Jon Stewart.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So the Nightly Show panels are either the guests saying stupid poo poo or really horrible poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

So the Nightly Show panels are either the guests saying stupid poo poo or really horrible poo poo.

And more often have one or two "here's someone that works at our show" people to illustrate that they're having trouble filling chairs.

That being said, I just watch NdT's first episode of StarTalk tonight, and the dude needs to work on his show control skills, but I still have more faith in him than Larry in being able to turn poo poo around. His set looks like something out of a Cable Access TV show, and does, since it's pretty much just the Hayden Planetarium's atrium and his office, but I still have more faith in him than Larry.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 24, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

spronk posted:

I can't even begin to imagine the ratings massacre thats going to happen in the fall when Jon goes off the air in August and Colbert begins airing in the same timeslot starting Sept 8th.

That's making the very generous assumption that there will be any ratings left to massacre.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/wilmores-nightly-show-first-3-months-down-nearly-40-from-colbert/

IRQ fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 24, 2015

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Bill Nye hosting TDS, NdT hosting TNS.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
I usually like the Nightly Show, I like how they talk about things rarely talked about on these kinds of shows. Occassionally though, they do something like bring an anti-vaxxer on the panel or you get mo'nique saying child molestation is fine if its woman on boy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't mind that, I like knowing which celebs are morons.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What was Wilmore's response to Mo'nique though? Did he shrug and laugh it off? Or address it at all?

I don't mind bullshit views. I just want them to be exposed as such.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Roughly 400,000-600,000 Daily Show viewers out of a million change the channel after the Moment of Zen.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/16/late-night-tv-ratings-for-april-6-10-2015/389838/ 454,000 lost @ 11:30

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/23/late-night-tv-ratings-for-april-13-17-2015/393626/ 522,000 lost @ 11:30

Stewart/Colbert typically kept it closer to 1:1.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 25, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Narcissus1916 posted:

What was Wilmore's response to Mo'nique though? Did he shrug and laugh it off? Or address it at all?

I don't mind bullshit views. I just want them to be exposed as such.

Well, on the one hand he did drop the "Where were these teachers when I was that age?!?!?!" line which almost made me immediately turn off the TV, but then he made the point that he would have done a lot of stupid poo poo when he was that age so that wouldn't make it okay. But as far as saying "that's a hosed up double standard about rape you got there Mo Apostrophe Nique," no he didn't go there.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Tomahawk posted:

Bill Nye hosting TDS, NdT hosting TNS.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Roughly 400,000-600,000 Daily Show viewers out of a million change the channel after the Moment of Zen.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/16/late-night-tv-ratings-for-april-6-10-2015/389838/ 454,000 lost @ 11:30

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/23/late-night-tv-ratings-for-april-13-17-2015/393626/ 522,000 lost @ 11:30

Stewart/Colbert typically kept it closer to 1:1.

I'd be in that group. I stream the show myself (can we discuss how lovely the Comedy Central video player is here?) and I haven't bothered with Nightly since the third or fourth episode.

Seriously though, let me pause with the drat space bar!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
That picture of Obama with the Muppet Babies was terrifying.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

This first segment is like :negative: personified.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
I hated Jessica when she 1st started, she has either got a lot better or I was / am a idiot.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Please increase Jessica Williams' costume budget.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Winkie01 posted:

I hated Jessica when she 1st started, she has either got a lot better or I was / am a idiot.

At worst when she started she was worlds better than loving Olivia Munn at least. She was a bit rough at the beginning but she gets better pretty much every time she shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Jessica Williams is hands down the best correspondent on the show currently. She is awesome. Also, boy Elizabeth Olsen has a great personality! I'm in love :allears:

• Locked thread