Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

pookel posted:

My home cooking usually looks like this:

But I was thinking of what my dad used to make for dinner when I was a kid, in the '80s. Your basic American "1 meat + 1 vegetable + 1 starch" sort of meal.

That Sesame Chicken is actually pretty good, and it's really helpful to not have to measure my food at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Internet Wizard posted:

So here's a tumblr that has a few pictures of food from a military chowhall, and the bleak food served there.

http://sgt-chowdown.tumblr.com/

spinach looks good :geno:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Honestly that food looks way better than I would expect from a military chowhall. It looks better than elementary school food at least

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

If it wasn't for that grey-beige slop in the second shot there (cauliflower? spätzle? :stonk:), it wouldn't be so bad. Just sad and apathetic.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Titus Sardonicus posted:

If it wasn't for that grey-beige slop in the second shot there (cauliflower? spätzle? :stonk:), it wouldn't be so bad. Just sad and apathetic.

Definitely cauliflower.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I'm almost relieved because g'drat that would have to be some gloppy, sludgy spätzle. And gloppy egg noodles are just mournful.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Thinky Whale posted:

A casserole made with tater tots, cream of mushroom soup, and ground beef by cultists with a reality show. I bring you America.

I ate that exact same thing so many times at potluck's when I was a kid in Iowa. I think I actually enjoyed it because it was better than the similar dish that used canned green beans. :barf:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not living in the midwest and having never gone to church outside of a few times with friends/for funerals or weddings I would totally try a hashbrown or tatertot casserole at least once

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not living in the midwest and having never gone to church outside of a few times with friends/for funerals or weddings I would totally try a hashbrown or tatertot casserole at least once
It's great for putting on pounds to hibernate your way through the Minnesota winter.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

CannonFodder posted:

It's great for putting on pounds to hibernate your way through the Minnesota winter.

You then coat it internally with many dozens of gallons of both beer and cheese.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

blunt for century posted:

You then coat it internally with many dozens of gallons of both beer and cheese.

Or you put it together in the casserole.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style

quote:

Pizza Supreme Doritos, Pizzalicious Pringles, Pepperidge Farm Flavor Blasted Xplosive Pizza Goldfish crackers, Pepperoni Pizza Combos, and of course, the pizza hummus.

quote:

1-8oz. block of cream cheese, 1 tbsp. Rotel OR salsa, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1 cup crushed Doritos

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Im loving making these

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Do these people not realize that anything pizza flavored tastes like total rear end?

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style

placenta pizza

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

diabeetz posted:

placenta pizza
They're going to need a bigger glass of wine.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Aesop Poprock posted:

Honestly that food looks way better than I would expect from a military chowhall. It looks better than elementary school food at least

I'm stationed at the base that those pictures are taken at, and I can confirm that the circle pizzas appear to be identical to the ones my high school cafeteria served.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Hirayuki posted:

They're going to need a bigger glass of wine.

Is it supposed to be charred into cinders or were they so desperate for internet votes that they attempted that with no culinary ability beyond opening a bag of doritos?

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Internet Wizard posted:

I'm stationed at the base that those pictures are taken at, and I can confirm that the circle pizzas appear to be identical to the ones my high school cafeteria served.

Those were my favorites lunches in middle school, along with the 'nachos.'

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's not charred, that's cauterized blood.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

This is absolutely something I would have done when I was a stoner in college.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If I had to eat placenta I'd turn it entirely into charcoal too.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

If I had to eat placenta I'd turn it entirely into charcoal too.

I have a feeling this person wasn't exactly being forced at gun point

Jesus Toast
Sep 30, 2005

Not going to lie, I'd probably eat this.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Aesop Poprock posted:

Tatertot casserole is pretty good (and very cheap), but it's definitely not something I'd eat all the time.

As a side note, one good thing about being from the Midwest is that when there's a family gathering, as long as you bring anything other than a casserole, you're practically guaranteed not to bring the same thing as someone else :laugh:

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
A friend of mine used to make hashbrown casserole but she put a shitload of sour cream in hers instead of mushroom soup mix or whatever and topped it with tons of shredded cheddar. Basically onions, hashbrowns, cheese and sour cream mixed up and topped with more cheese. It was pretty good for about 3 bites, then your brain catches up to the fatty horror you're eating and you notice the film coating your mouth and you can't eat anymore. Her cheesy rice casserole was rice, cheese, broccoli and more cheese. There was clearly a theme to these casseroles.

Her mom made caramel pie by boiling some cans of condensed milk for like 12 hours, not even in the pan, but still in the can. It was the best loving caramel pie I've ever eaten.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

empty sea posted:

Her mom made caramel pie by boiling some cans of condensed milk for like 12 hours, not even in the pan, but still in the can. It was the best loving caramel pie I've ever eaten.
That's reasonably well-known, although 12 hours is a lot longer than I've seen elsewhere:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/02/how-to-make-dulce-de-leche-canned-condensed-milk.html
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/38234/caramel+from+sweetened+condensed+milk

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

empty sea posted:

Boiled condensed milk pies are delicious, definitely not something for this thread. But speaking of pies, that does bring to mind an old thread favorite:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/paula-deen-savannah-high-apple-pie-recipe.html

Zira
Oct 9, 2007

You have a job! Karl has a job! What's my purpose?
Karl has a job!Karl has a job!
What's my purpose? What's my
You have a job! purpose?
What's my purpose?
What's my purpose?
A safer way of cooking the can of condensed milk is actually putting it in a crockpot for about eight hours. It simmers and barely lowers the water level. Way safer than in a pot. Just make sure there's a lot of water on the top.

But on topic, how about some gross cupcakes?

Dorito and mountain dew cupcakes:

Why?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

diabeetz posted:

placenta pizza

"What the gently caress is that? Cranberries? Lingonberry jam?"

"Oh it's browning, must be some kind of meat."

"Looks like offal or sweetbreads or something."

:stare: YUP

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Boiled condensed milk pies are delicious, definitely not something for this thread. But speaking of pies, that does bring to mind an old thread favorite:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/paula-deen-savannah-high-apple-pie-recipe.html

Would. I loving love apple pie.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

p-hop posted:

"What the gently caress is that? Cranberries? Lingonberry jam?"

"Oh it's browning, must be some kind of meat."

"Looks like offal or sweetbreads or something."

:stare: YUP

something offal

whoredog
Apr 10, 2002

cowboythreespeech posted:

something offal

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

dovetaile posted:

Would. I loving love apple pie.

That ain't no pie, son. It's a cocoon.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

cowboythreespeech posted:

something offal

Hint: It's the most-eaten organ meat among white Americans.

ErIog has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Apr 28, 2015

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

That reminds me of mock apple pie.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mock-apple-pie/

I've never had it, but I am kind of a big baby who likes the crust and apple goo in an apple pie, but not the apples, so it's probably right up my unsophisticated alley.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ErIog posted:

Hint: It's the most-eaten organ meat among white Americans.

Judging by the white Americans I know....liver?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Rah! posted:

Judging by the white Americans I know....liver?

Dammit, I forgot about liver when constructing that joke. White Americans, aside from liver, almost never eat organ meats so I thought I was being clever by claiming placenta was actually the most popular organ meat for white Americans.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

ErIog posted:

Dammit, I forgot about liver when constructing that joke. White Americans, aside from liver, almost never eat organ meats so I thought I was being clever by claiming placenta was actually the most popular organ meat for white Americans.

I don't understand this joke at all. Are you saying that it is common for White Americans to eat human placentas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't understand this joke at all. Are you saying that it is common for White Americans to eat human placentas?

More so than you would hope.

• Locked thread