Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Saw this ad, and emailed the owner:

We negotiated back and forth, me working the angle that "It needs an expensive engine" and he working the angle of "but it will be worth so much when running."

I finally got him down to $1300 via email since it's over an hour away from me. I didn't want to waste my time driving back and forth if he wasn't at least negotiable. We agree on the price, and I tell him I'll be there with a trailer to pick it up and ask when the last time it was started. "Um. It's been a long time." I tell him that's fine, I just want to be able to start it to drive it up on the trailer. He said, "No, I said it has to be towed away."

OK...

I then say, OK, I'll bring some help and we'll use a winch to get it on the trailer.

He follows up with, "No, no, no. It has to be towed."

No way I'm paying to have it towed.

He forbids hearing it run, and forbids hauling it away via car trailer. I don't think he'll ever sell it.

The '03 Discoverys are known to have cylinder liners break loose and slide up and down with the piston, sounding exactly like a rod knock (or several). There's a method to pin them in place without disassembling the whole engine, or go the expensive route and install top hat liners. Still, for $2000, it's not that bad of a deal considering it's worth north of $6k all cleaned up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What is his excuse for it not being trailered? :psyduck:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Maybe his brother owns a towing company.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Team140 posted:

Still, for $2000, it's not that bad of a deal considering it's worth north of $6k all cleaned up.

That's an amazingly optimistic price.

That truck is worth about $900 as it sits if the interior is minty and the air suspension isn't full of holes.

And it's not with "negotiating" with a person like that when there are plenty of other examples to be had.

Team140 posted:

The '03 Discoverys are known to have cylinder liners break loose and slide up and down with the piston, sounding exactly like a rod knock (or several). There's a method to pin them in place without disassembling the whole engine, or go the expensive route and install top hat liners.

The former isn't likely worth the trouble while it's still in the truck and the latter isn't worth the expense period.

And then you still have the problem with the oil pin dowels being misdrilled in many of the 03 blocks causing the pumps to explode and trash the front cover.

When you get around all of that you have a $4000 discovery 2 that's not particularly good at offroading, doesn't ride particularly well on the road and absolutely destroys fuel.

Not seeing the upside. What exactly would your plans be with something like this?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wonder if he wants you to have it towed by a flatbed towtruck because they can tow a vehicle that has no keys and is locked in place. Also "my sister will handle the transaction" sounds suspicious to me, too. This may be some sort of hostile sale or something.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The price is high for a car that's old enough to drink and has over 200,000 on it but still, you don't find these too often in this condition:

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4996356702.html

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wow, yeah that is clean as hell and from a year that has no real issues or parts availability problems. Has the right drivetrain, too. I can't tell if it has a d35 or an 8.25 but that is a $200, one-weekend problem to solve even if it has it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That jeep is going to be sold in a day.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Motronic posted:

That's an amazingly optimistic price.

That truck is worth about $900 as it sits if the interior is minty and the air suspension isn't full of holes.

And it's not with "negotiating" with a person like that when there are plenty of other examples to be had.

The former isn't likely worth the trouble while it's still in the truck and the latter isn't worth the expense period.

And then you still have the problem with the oil pin dowels being misdrilled in many of the 03 blocks causing the pumps to explode and trash the front cover.

When you get around all of that you have a $4000 discovery 2 that's not particularly good at offroading, doesn't ride particularly well on the road and absolutely destroys fuel.

Not seeing the upside. What exactly would your plans be with something like this?

The oil pin dowels only affected ~35k trucks and if it's got over 60k miles and still running, it doesn't have the problem as 50k was the lifespan of the affected engines.

As far as how it handles on and off road, it rides like a truck on the road (because it is) and it is actually way more capable stock for stock than my Jeep TJ off road, which is not a bad benchmark. Agreed 100% on its ability to destroy fuel.

Plans would be to fix it, drive it, give it to my son.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha do you hate your son?

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

Wojcigitty posted:

The price is high for a car that's old enough to drink and has over 200,000 on it but still, you don't find these too often in this condition:

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4996356702.html

gently caress I'd buy that right now if it wasn't logistically impossible. I can't remember the last time I saw a 2dr Cherokee.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SiliconX posted:

gently caress I'd buy that right now if it wasn't logistically impossible. I can't remember the last time I saw a 2dr Cherokee that wasn't a completely ragged out rusty shitpile.

There we go.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SiliconX posted:

gently caress I'd buy that right now if it wasn't logistically impossible. I can't remember the last time I saw a 2dr Cherokee.

That is only about a 2600 mile drive and is an hour or two from me. Want a prebuy inspection?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Team140 posted:

it is actually way more capable stock for stock than my Jeep TJ off road, which is not a bad benchmark.

Read what you posted agin to yourself. Out loud this time. Then tell me what you think.

You can play all the "I don't own one yet but I'm an Internet research hero" games you want to about what you think based on recall numbers and poo poo, but you are deluding yourself.

This is a piece of poo poo. And it's way overpriced.

Team140 posted:

Plans would be to fix it, drive it, give it to my son.

Wow.......just wow. I guess you like to spend even more time under leaky pieces of poo poo than I do without the benefit of off roading them (in the case of the D1) or banging the driver (in the case of the D2 which she refuses to upgrade because D3/4s are too boxy.......and she's right....and they are unibody).

This is a super bad idea unless you want to teach you kid how to work on cars with pats that cost 5x more than domestics and take several days to show up rather than just going to advanced auto down the street and getting cheap parts to put on.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 29, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4971579500.html
http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/cto/4980258601.html
So what is a Comanche worth? I want a ~3k pickup with low bed height and this seems like a cool compromise. An old Chevy C10 seems to get like 10mpg judging by Fuelly :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

An old Chevy C10 seems to get like 10mpg judging by Fuelly :v:

On a good day.

If I stay out of the gas on the LS1 I can get to low teens.

If I don't, I've gotten it down around 6-7 :getin:

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Does a Ford V8 make a Conquest more reliable?

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4993322116.html

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4971579500.html
http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/cto/4980258601.html
So what is a Comanche worth? I want a ~3k pickup with low bed height and this seems like a cool compromise. An old Chevy C10 seems to get like 10mpg judging by Fuelly :v:

The first one has a chevy 2.8 v6, which is gutless even before it turns itself into a v5.
The second one has a 4 cylinder and is 2wd.

Neither is worth those asking prices.

If you are looking for a conversion project look for one with a blown motor or trans for about a grand. If you are looking for a clean driver look for a 4.0/5speed (88.5 and later, NOT a peugeot tranny) for a bit more than that, maybe up to the prices of the ones you listed. Or get a J truck...

Stay away from 86 in general, they only came with V6s and 2.5s and the firewall is shape differently so you have to "customize" it to fit a 4.0.

kastein fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 29, 2015

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Good idea, or the BEST IDEA?

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Motronic posted:

Read what you posted agin to yourself. Out loud this time. Then tell me what you think.

You can play all the "I don't own one yet but I'm an Internet research hero" games you want to about what you think based on recall numbers and poo poo, but you are deluding yourself.

This is a piece of poo poo. And it's way overpriced.

Wow.......just wow. I guess you like to spend even more time under leaky pieces of poo poo than I do without the benefit of off roading them (in the case of the D1) or banging the driver (in the case of the D2 which she refuses to upgrade because D3/4s are too boxy.......and she's right....and they are unibody).

This is a super bad idea unless you want to teach you kid how to work on cars with pats that cost 5x more than domestics and take several days to show up rather than just going to advanced auto down the street and getting cheap parts to put on.

Holy poo poo. You're an opinionated oval office aren't ya?

I'm not playing the "I don't own one yet but I'm an internet research hero" game. I have both a Jeep Wrangler and a Discovery II in the driveway. 5th Jeep, 4th Discovery. I have had all of them offroad and stock vs stock the DII will go further and tackle things stock Jeeps can't. So maybe you should stop deluding YOURSELF and pretending you know what you're talking about.

I'd much rather have my son get his hands dirty on a cantankerous brand of vehicle (that he actually likes and wants by the way) that he gets to learn how systems work and what happens when they don't than to hand him a Camry or Crown Vic and he learns they are disposable appliances. I'm not going to force my kid to drive something he doesn't want. We're not a fan of domestics (besides Jeeps, but they're... different) . Lost faith in them during the 90s and haven't looked back. The only thing that's interesting on the domestic market to me right now are the new GMC full size trucks.

Contrary to what the internet has told you, Land Rovers aren't horrible shitmobiles. Sure, they have their quirks, but simple goddamn maintenance will stop quirks from becoming wallet emptying problems. Out of all the Rovers I've had, the most expensive fix so far has been ~$400 for replacing a set of head gaskets. If you are a soccer mom and drive it like a soccer mom and never maintain it - sure, it's going to gently caress you right in the wallet.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I wouldn't call a flaw that fucks the engine a 'quirk'.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005

Shampoo posted:

If this was in my area it would be at least twice the price and sold already. Ever since I got an eye for them they've only been a pricey blink on craigslist.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Shampoo posted:

IS BEST IDEA.

From the pictures (or lack thereof) I'm calling that the driver side bolster on the drivers seat has the typical rip, looks in decent condition though, and the price is really good. As others have noted they're a niche vehicle and their owners are a little wonky and think they're worth their weight in gold, and they still sell at those prices.The 5spd might need a new center diff soon at that mileage but it's relatively easy to swap out though (don't even have to drop the trans) I think it's ~$600ish for it? Can't remember.

so yeah, DO IT.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

I have Stockholm syndrome and I wouldn't touch that D2.

:science: LR3 has both a uni-body and a ladder frame. Fucker is a heavy pig coming in close to 3 tons. But fwiw it rides and drives pretty drat nice... I manage to eak out 17 on my last tank.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have Stockholm syndrome and I wouldn't touch that D2.

:science: LR3 has both a uni-body and a ladder frame. Fucker is a heavy pig coming in close to 3 tons. But fwiw it rides and drives pretty drat nice... I manage to eak out 17 on my last tank.

How do you like your LR3? Was just browsing them today. What's the upkeep like?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Moey posted:

How do you like your LR3? Was just browsing them today. What's the upkeep like?

Right now, so far so good. But I combed through a ton making sure I bought one that was looked after. The air suspension is pretty trouble free so far but with any air suspensions the bags will eventually give out and the compressor will die. But a full blown refresh for bags, compressor and bushings is around 2000. I already have money set aside for that eventual problem. I have read they chew tires and brakes pretty regularly, but that's more of a weight issue than an actual design problem. Its piss poor on fuel, but again, 3 ton truck with a V8.

Otherwise the Jag motor is pretty good, the tranny is a ZF unit, and it drives well. I have my brake controller I need to install, but I moved around a decently heavy boat last weekend and it pulled it around like it wasn't there. I'm sure other poo poo is bound to come up, but opt for a later model, as most of the bugs were worked out in the 07+ up.

Edit: forgot to add, they put the Ford 4.0v6 in if as well. It was lol wtf slow as gently caress. Who ever thought that idea was good was most certainly smoking some good poo poo.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 30, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Team140 posted:

Contrary to what the internet has told you, Land Rovers aren't horrible shitmobiles.

Yes they are. I personally owned 11. I owned a Independent service facility that kept them running.

Sure they can be reliable. Reliably loving Broken.

Pin the liners and or Darton sleeve the motherfucker.
fix the front cover
timesert the block
fix the middle cam bearings

THEN worry about the rest of a loving D2.
Front driveshafts that most can't rebuild.
3 amigos, Mostly airsuspension that belong on an allroad.
Cooling system designed by BMW, implemented by VW, tuned for optimal emissions on a 50 year old engine with tolerances looser than my grandma.
Sunroofs that break for no loving reason.
Giubos on a 4x4 vehicle, and watts link.
Blower motor B+ line on the back of the fusebox burns itself and shits the HEVAC all over you.
Rear hubs explode tossing wheels, btw, they ain' cheap.

Want a decent rover for your kid to learn on? Get a series truck with a 2.25 NA diesel. Anything else is a piece of gently caress thats a waste of time.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 30, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Team140 posted:

Holy poo poo. You're an opinionated oval office aren't ya?

I'm not playing the "I don't own one yet but I'm an internet research hero" game. I have both a Jeep Wrangler and a Discovery II in the driveway. 5th Jeep, 4th Discovery. I have had all of them offroad and stock vs stock the DII will go further and tackle things stock Jeeps can't. So maybe you should stop deluding YOURSELF and pretending you know what you're talking about.

I'd much rather have my son get his hands dirty on a cantankerous brand of vehicle (that he actually likes and wants by the way) that he gets to learn how systems work and what happens when they don't than to hand him a Camry or Crown Vic and he learns they are disposable appliances. I'm not going to force my kid to drive something he doesn't want. We're not a fan of domestics (besides Jeeps, but they're... different) . Lost faith in them during the 90s and haven't looked back. The only thing that's interesting on the domestic market to me right now are the new GMC full size trucks.

Contrary to what the internet has told you, Land Rovers aren't horrible shitmobiles. Sure, they have their quirks, but simple goddamn maintenance will stop quirks from becoming wallet emptying problems. Out of all the Rovers I've had, the most expensive fix so far has been ~$400 for replacing a set of head gaskets. If you are a soccer mom and drive it like a soccer mom and never maintain it - sure, it's going to gently caress you right in the wallet.

You do realize he's owned a handful of them, right? And knows how to fix them?

... So has cursedshitbox. Who has probably worked on at least a couple hundred of the bastards, besides owning his own fleet.

You can listen, or learn (and let your son learn) the hard way. Your choice.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Buying any non running eruo car is a loving stupid choice. Unless you are planning on yanking the motor or doing a swap.

So much poo poo I have seen is "ran when parked" poo poo is usually pretty hosed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Buying any non running eruo car is a loving stupid choice. Unless you are planning on yanking the motor or doing a swap.

So much poo poo I have seen is "ran when parked" poo poo is usually pretty hosed.

What about barely running? is barely running still cool? :ohdear:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

cursedshitbox posted:

Want a decent rover for your kid to learn on? Get a series truck with a 2.25 NA diesel. Anything else is a piece of gently caress thats a waste of time.
Or you could buy a FZJ80 series Land Cruiser :v:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

We used to have one of these when I was a kid:

Are they a thing in the US? Pretty awesome off road, but you need to trailer it everywhere because good luck getting that thing certified road legal in the UK.

e: looks like there are one or two at least.

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/01/12/half-cabbed-1989-range-rover/

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 30, 2015

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

kastein posted:

You do realize he's owned a handful of them, right? And knows how to fix them?

... So has cursedshitbox. Who has probably worked on at least a couple hundred of the bastards, besides owning his own fleet.

You can listen, or learn (and let your son learn) the hard way. Your choice.

Yeah. I've seen a few shots here and there of them and from what I've seen, they've all been rode hard and put away wet and in general lovely condition no matter what the name on the hood.

Which brings me back to my original point - if you keep on top of the little niggling issues and not neglect them, they are fine vehicles.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'm so glad you've found a rover in not lovely condition. Please, buy it and show us what a not lovely rover looks like.

Two door rangies are incredibly rare here seeing as how they didn't officially come here till 1987. two doors ended in 81.

You can make a 90ish wheelbase one using the front half of a 4 door and the back half of a 2, and shortening the frame.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 30, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Team140 posted:

Yeah. I've seen a few shots here and there of them and from what I've seen, they've all been rode hard and put away wet and in general lovely condition no matter what the name on the hood.

Which brings me back to my original point - if you keep on top of the little niggling issues and not neglect them, they are fine vehicles.

Even as a Jeep owner, I'm laughing at this post right now. I can't wait to watch the show though so by all means go for it.

You're right, but, I mean, when it comes to Rover motors, "rode hard and put away wet" starts with the block castings and tooling used to machine them... 20 years before they even got around to making the ones you're looking at.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Holy crap that's the loving truth. 1997ish blocks were about the best/last ones to own.

I mean, I'm stupid, but I wouldn't touch that truck with the length of CSB's dick.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Looking for an E36 M3 <$10k in the western half of the US, if anyone comes across something. :)

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/5001011094.html

Hmmm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007