Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I completely forgot to send off my vote by mail/proxy application and the deadline has passed so this election (local&general) will be my first in adult life I haven’t taken part in.

I'm kind of surprised how not bothered I am, I'm another lost libdem voter and my choices in my constituency would have been between tories (52% in 2010) and the libdems(28% in 2010). Every other candidate lost their deposit, so my vote was feeling kind of pointless anyway :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Got this amongst my electoral junk mail this morning (I'm in Bournemouth West). Never heard of Patria before, but from the dagger in their logo and policies like "Give judges right to impose capital punishment", "repeal the ridiculous Human Rights Act", "Stop further immigration" and "There should be no further mosques" I suspect they may be a teensy bit right of centre.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
Is anyone doing anything fun on election night? I'm thinking of going to ELECTIONGIGGLE 2015 but my wife is working the next day so I don't know if I'm going to bother. The other option is going to the frontline club, where I've been meaning to go but haven't yet had a chance..

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Payndz posted:

Got this amongst my electoral junk mail this morning (I'm in Bournemouth West). Never heard of Patria before, but from the dagger in their logo and policies like "Give judges right to impose capital punishment", "repeal the ridiculous Human Rights Act", "Stop further immigration" and "There should be no further mosques" I suspect they may be a teensy bit right of centre.

There's nothing about dog fighting in there. :confused:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Payndz posted:

Huh, they have a RationalWiki page.

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax

Payndz posted:

"Race Relations Acts and similar laws will be repealed."

That's a bold promise. I like the confidence of this man.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I learned something today. Looks like Leicester is home to the fash-wing of CAMRA.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/English_Shieldwall

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it
Got a couple of UKIP leaflets yesterday promising "VOTE FOR US AND NO MORE EU IMMIGRATION" , which surprised me because they were specifically addressed to me, a southern european immigrant (who can't vote in the general election). Do they just send this crap to anyone registered in the local electoral office?

Zsa Zsa Gabor fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 29, 2015

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Darth Walrus posted:

Ah, I get it. The Conservatives may be the biggest government, but there's no way for them to assemble 326 seats without something insane like Lab/Con due to the Lib Dems collapsing and their other allies being tiny.

Speaking of, are the DUP expected to stay at eight seats?

They look likely to retake East Belfast from the Alliance Party so it may be 9. Not often I have anything good to say about the DUP but even they think the Tory strategy of othering Scottish MPs is way out of line. NI unionists' connection with Scotland doesn't seem to have been at all factored into that strategy and the DUP is increasingly making noises about working with Labour.

quote:

The Conservatives have outlined plans to save £12bn from the welfare budget.
Mr Robinson said he could not see his party supporting that proposal.
"I cannot see how £12bn could be saved on welfare in a way that would enjoy our support," he said.
"I do agree with Conservative and Liberal Democrats that the onus is to get people out and working and that has to be the priority in terms of any changes in welfare.
"But I cannot see how we can be supporting £12bn of cuts on welfare."

That's a very big shift from just a couple of months ago. Seems Cameron's Tories have a real knack for alienating even their most natural of allies.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Cameron on BBC Radio 2:

quote:

Cameron says Labour are planning to run a deficit in perpetuity. That is absurd, he says. People running businesses, and families, know that you can run an overdraft for some of the time, but not all of the time.

Q: Why do you need to pass a law that you won’t put up tax? Why not just make a promise?

Because I want to give people certainty, says Cameron.

Q: Ed Balls said this morning they would cut the deficit by 2020.

No, that’s not right, says Cameron. Labour are only talking about the current budget. He says Labour would still run a deficit on capital spending.

Cameron says the government has already cut welfare spending by £21bn.

Q: The next bit is harder, isn’t it?

Cameron says he does not want to take money out of working people’s pockets.

Q: What other cuts would you make?

Cameron says he would apply some principles. Welfare should protect the vulnerable, protect pensioners and ensure work pays. But he is planning to freeze some benefits. No other party has proposed that.

Q: Why not take pensioner benefits, like the winter fuel payments, from the wealthy?

Because it would save so little money, Cameron says.

It is worth keeping this universal for the sake of simplicity.

He says young people like to see pensioners treated with dignity.

Q: You have been making lots of unfunded commitments during the campaign. On inheritance tax, for example.

Cameron says that promise is funded. It would be funded by changes to pension tax relief for the wealthy.

The current threshold for inheritance tax could lead to people who would not describe themselves as rich not being able to pass on their homes to their children.

Q: Where is the money coming from for the NHS?

From our spending plans, says Cameron.

Cameron says he was always planning to announce new policies during the campaign.

Q: And what about the “pumped up” rhetoric? Were you told to make it look as if you wanted the job?

Cameron says he wants to win more than in 2015. [NOTE: DOES NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION]

Q: Why did you say you would only serve one more term?

Cameron says he was asked a straight question, and answered it. When that happens, journalists “set [their] hair on fire”.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2015/apr/29/election-2015-miliband-tory-12bn-welfare-cuts-russell-brand-interview-live

So Tory cuts are likely to focus on children and the unemployed.

LemonDrizzle posted:

George Osborne, Hansard, 26th November 2009:

Further down that page:

quote:

He also pointed out that the law represented “a constitutional first” by imposing no legal sanction if the goals were missed. The Conservatives confirmed Wednesday that their own proposed law would likewise lack any punishment for those breaking it.

SNAKES N CAKES fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 29, 2015

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Party Boat posted:

Forming a government is about being able to "command the confidence of the house", which didn't necessarily require you to lead the biggest party.

It's why, even as a likely-Labour voter, things like this really frustrate me:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
The Daily Politics is doing a thing about political communication and apparently UKIP voters love Mrs Brown's Boys. Definitive confirmation that UKIP voters are thick bastards imo.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I don't understand why we're supposed to treat the promise to implement a low tax law any more seriously then the promise to keep taxes low.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

CoolCab posted:

I don't understand why we're supposed to treat the promise to implement a low tax law any more seriously then the promise to keep taxes low.

Because passing a "no tax raises" law could shame any opposition parties who refuse to vote for it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Payndz posted:

I suspect you might be right, from their leader's bio

quote:

I am a semi-retired electrician, having run my own business for the last forty-two years, since finishing an apprenticeship. I also served my local community as a Retained Fireman for Hampshire Fire Service for more than thirty years, until being dismissed because of my membership of the British National Party.

I supported and voted for the Tories for many years until I joined the BNP in the early part of this century. I started the Isle of Wight and New Forest groups and also shared the position of Southampton Organiser for a while.

After standing in the 2005 General Election, as a candidate in Havant, I was sacked from my Fire Service role due to being a member of the BNP, which, to this day, hurts me deeply. I have also stood many times in district and parish council elections.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Niric posted:

It's why, even as a likely-Labour voter, things like this really frustrate me:

Fewer MPs means a lower chance of 'commanding the confidence of the house'.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

Fewer MPs means a lower chance of 'commanding the confidence of the house'.

That's true. But it doesn't say "The biggest party across the UK has a higher chance of commanding the confidence of the house (depending on the make up of Parliament)." It's the misleading and disingenuous certainty which grates.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Niric posted:

That's true. But it doesn't say "The biggest party across the UK has a higher chance of commanding the confidence of the house (depending on the make up of Parliament)." It's the misleading and disingenuous certainty which grates.

While your point is completely accurate, I feel trying to explain that to the majority of the populace would be a very difficult thing to do. Its easier to say (and sort of true) that being the biggest party gets you in power. Its a bit of a nasty campaign trick, but this is the time for them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brown Moses posted:

I suspect you might be right, from their leader's bio

quote:

I was sacked from my Fire Service role due to being a member of the BNP, which, to this day, hurts me deeply.
His friends started giving him extra work?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

While your point is completely accurate, I feel trying to explain that to the majority of the populace would be a very difficult thing to do. Its easier to say (and sort of true) that being the biggest party gets you in power. Its a bit of a nasty campaign trick, but this is the time for them.

I understand why it's been done, but I really don't like it and think it will actually backfire on Labour since it opens them up to (not unreasonable and completely avoidable) attacks from the SNP and others about their lovely campaign tactics, further feeding the narrative that Scottish Labour are terrible liars. Personally, I don't think this approach will win more votes than it loses.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Good news for pubs and a lovely gently caress you to unscrupulous shitheel developers, though it's weird that Westminster Council are doing something correct. http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...e-10211892.html

Evening Standard posted:

Pub must be rebuilt brick by brick, orders council, after developers tore it down to build flats

The owners of a historic London pub who triggered outrage by demolishing it without permission are to be ordered to rebuild it brick by brick.

Council chiefs will next week issue an unprecedented enforcement notice to the firm that owns the Carlton Tavern in Maida Vale requiring it to “recreate in facsimile the building as it stood immediately prior to its demolition”. The owners, Tel Aviv-based developers CLTX Ltd, ordered bulldozers in to reduce the early 1920s building to rubble earlier this month after staff were told to stay at home for an inventory.

Robert Davis, deputy leader of Westminster council, said he was “absolutely horrified” at the “scandalous” destruction. The enforcement notice is scheduled to be approved by the council’s planning committee next Tuesday. That will stop the owners from selling the site until the building has been restored. It is thought this is the first instance of a local council ordering a building be reconstructed from the ground up.

The council has arranged for the pub to be listed as a non-designated heritage asset, a status which should prevent it being pulled down in future. In January, Westminster threw out a planning application to replace the redbrick pub with flats. Shortly afterwards the Government announced plans to strengthen protection for England’s pubs to prevent them being demolished so readily. Historic England was also considering a recommendation of listing at Grade II for the site, saying it was “remarkably well-preserved externally and internally”.

But on April 8 pub staff were told it was to be closed, and bulldozers moved in to the shock of local residents. A report to the council’s planning committee from its director of planning, John Walker, said: “An asset which was a listable heritage asset has been demolished in breach of planning control. In these circumstances it is not considered that other lesser steps are possible to address the harm other than to require complete rebuilding.”

CLTX is appealing the decision to refuse consent and if it wins the company may be able to press on with the redevelopment of the site. CLTX director, Israeli tax lawyer Ori Calif, was not available for comment. CLTX’s agent Kieran Rafferty, of KR Planning, said: “I am not authorised to comment.”

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Good news for pubs and a lovely gently caress you to unscrupulous shitheel developers, though it's weird that Westminster Council are doing something correct. http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...e-10211892.html

You see this stuff happen all the time and them get away with it. But sometimes they don't and its great. There was an old school bought up by developers near me and when the council refused to let them tear it up and build 14 houses on its land it 'mysteriously' caught fire and had to be demolished. The council still refused to grant planning permission and eventually they had to sell the land off for pennies. Its a park now.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

chances of this actually being enforced though, rather than whatever shell company owns the land deciding to fold?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cerv posted:

chances of this actually being enforced though, rather than whatever shell company owns the land deciding to fold?

0.01%

Its a message though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Developers from Tel Aviv illegally bulldozing buildings? Well I never.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

Fortunately they were also caught on camera committing flagrant health and safety violations during the illegal demolition.

H&S is one of those areas where they will not hesitate to pierce the corporate veil, so there's a chance of action against the directors themselves if they do fold given the amount of outrage around what they did.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDZm9_uKtyo

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Edit : beaten

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

I imagine the kind of people who demolish a building out of spite cos they weren't given planning permission aren't actually going to rebuild the pub. Especially since they live in Israel, have no website that I can find and give every appearance of being a bunch of two-bit shysters.

edit: beaten. Though I guess they lose all their money, so there's that.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

serious gaylord posted:

You see this stuff happen all the time and them get away with it. But sometimes they don't and its great. There was an old school bought up by developers near me and when the council refused to let them tear it up and build 14 houses on its land it 'mysteriously' caught fire and had to be demolished. The council still refused to grant planning permission and eventually they had to sell the land off for pennies. Its a park now.

That's the main thing I don't understand with this story, why didn't they make it look like an accident? Going in in broad daylight wearing high-vis jackets how did they think they would get away with it?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Zephro posted:

I imagine the kind of people who demolish a building out of spite cos they weren't given planning permission aren't actually going to rebuild the pub. Especially since they live in Israel, have no website that I can find and give every appearance of being a bunch of two-bit shysters.

edit: beaten. Though I guess they lose all their money, so there's that.

The point the council are making is that if you dont get planning permission, suddenly having the building be a plot of rubble wont make them change their mind. I think its a statement to stop the 'accidental' fires etc that lead to listed buildings getting knocked down for safety reasons.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

That's the main thing I don't understand with this story, why didn't they make it look like an accident? Going in in broad daylight wearing high-vis jackets how did they think they would get away with it?

Party Boat posted:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

In terms of Milliband, not bad. He certainly did well in improving my image of him. As for the interview itself, pretty typical of Brand, chaotic and waffling with topics taking far longer to discuss than they should have and barely any structure.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

it's weird that Westminster Council are doing something correct.

Probably means the developers didn't think to slip the council a suitable bung.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Mega Comrade posted:

In terms of Milliband, not bad. He certainly did well in improving my image of him. As for the interview itself, pretty typical of Brand, chaotic and waffling with topics taking far longer to discuss than they should have and barely any structure.

Brand's mannerisms are so bad. Like some hunching clutching gollum. And use a loving glass! Agree that Ed did about as well as it's possible to do in an interview like that.

I love the constant 'leaning' Ed's doing to get away from his loving arms:

Guavanaut posted:

I learned something today. Looks like Leicester is home to the fash-wing of CAMRA.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/English_Shieldwall

Whatever I may feel about their policies, that is a fantastic name for a nationalist organisation.

Party Boat posted:

He shoots, he scores! :)

Prince John fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 29, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Similar story I think, the old cinema on Kings Heath high street has been a burned-out wreck for basically as long as I remember. My dad says it was almost certainly insurance fraud.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

brand's whole deal is being "off" and independent, though, if he was more "serious" he would lose a lot of his appeal very quickly

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

:cawg:

V. Illych L. posted:

brand's whole deal is being "off" and independent, though, if he was more "serious" he would lose a lot of his appeal very quickly

That says more about his viewership.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

well, yes, it does. do you think it's necessarily bad, though?

Brand's fanbase are basically people who reject the modern concept of respectability as simply another part of the establishment, which is perfectly legitimate in my view. Brand pretty much clearly takes the piss out of this with his weird clothes and his extremely individual affectations. It's disturbing, but it's easy to see where he's coming from, and hard to simply dismiss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I've been thinking more about the right wing argument that labour can't be in charge if they're not the largest party, wouldn't a better attack be to point out that Labour-SNP government is going to be undemocratic because they're going to get well less than 40% of the vote?

• Locked thread