Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm I'm not sure, doing it that way wouldn't necessarily alleviate the problem multiple characters solve: I was picturing letting you change who you're controlling from moment-moment as a way to ensure that 100% of your time is spent doing fun things like investigating scenes and interrogating people, even if that only constitutes 20% of an investigator's day. It's probably smarter to just stop worrying about it and say "He's a magical investigator who never goes into the office," but I'm trying to think my way out of that first. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Manslaughter posted:

:iiaca:

Pizza made from scratch tastes better than the frozen ones.

I assume you grow and grind the flour yourself? Actually if I want a really good pizza, I go to a restaurant and have someone else make one for me.

Nobody except yourself appreciates the effort you put into making a game. The vast vast majority of really popular games are made with off-the-shelf components put together well. My post was about literally re-inventing the wheel. Don't do it. Spend that time making the design good instead.

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm I'm not sure, doing it that way wouldn't necessarily alleviate the problem multiple characters solve: I was picturing letting you change who you're controlling from moment-moment as a way to ensure that 100% of your time is spent doing fun things like investigating scenes and interrogating people, even if that only constitutes 20% of an investigator's day. It's probably smarter to just stop worrying about it and say "He's a magical investigator who never goes into the office," but I'm trying to think my way out of that first. :)

Multiple perspective games are awesome and cool. See how they did it in GTA V, and the most recent Driver game. I don't think you have to worry about justifying it. Just remember that 100% of your time being fun is not necessarily what you should be aiming for. The player does need time to decompress.

EDIT: VVV You could also make what the investigator is doing when he is *not* investigating interesting. How about giving him a family, a hobby, a favourite TV programme? Build a little character.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 29, 2015

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Fangz posted:

I assume you grow and grind the flour yourself? Actually if I want a really good pizza, I go to a restaurant and have someone else make one for me.

Multiple perspective games are awesome and cool. See how they did it in GTA V, and the most recent Driver game. I don't think you have to worry about justifying it. Just remember that 100% of your time being fun is not necessarily what you should be aiming for. The player does need time to decompress.

That's a good point about decompression. I suppose 100% of your time not being bored might be a better way to put it: a lot of the things we do to be healthy, like sleeping (such as to not die), eating (such as to not die), and working (such as to afford things to eat and places to sleep, such as to not die) are really, really boring. I originally handled this with time dilation that kicked in whenever you went to your bed/desk/food hole, but it felt like a major speedbump- you had to go out of your way to fill/drain sims-style needs gauges, and since the core gameplay is "run around to investigate things, take occasional man-punching breaks, then get story interludes whenever you finally put the big case together," the survival elements felt like too many hats. The big thing I like about the multi-perspective approach is that it solves this by assuming that everyone takes care of all of the tedium offscreen, and basically puts you in charge of a subtractive life sim- instead of doing what you need in order to live, you're getting your job done at the expense of what you need to live, and if you don't balance your hours and man usage carefully, you end up alienating your friends or working yourself to death.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

George Lazenby posted:

Hey, so it's been ages since I've posted anything from our game, Hollow Knight. We've spent the last few months porting the game from Stencyl to Unity so haven't had anything interesting to show off. Finally starting to get back to that point now though!

Here's a boss death animation I just finished up. So easy to do with Unity's particle system! Feels pretty satisfying.

I hadn't seen anything about this game before-- it looks fantastic. I'll be keeping an eye out for more!

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Fangz posted:

These analogies are bad because it really is not the same. With a big dependency on 3rd party things that are supposed to make your life easier you can always run into situations where you really want to do one thing, and the 3rd party thing just won't cooperate, forcing you to come up with very convulted ways to get to your goal. All the comfort falls apart then and you might start to struggle to get with your bicycle through that river when a boat would be the better tool, but the manufacturer just doesn't sell boats. I have seen this in programming many many times over many many years with a lot of stuff that was supposed to make things simpler, that's where my current suspiciousness comes from. Also without testing it I would believe that Unity might have a noticeable overhead that might not always be necessary. But I can't really say how many of my points actually hold true as long as I haven't tried it. So I won't.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 29, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You said you wanted to do a "simple 2D thing", not some crazy performance intensive obscure and complicated thing that no one has ever conceived of.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Fangz posted:

You said you wanted to do a "simple 2D thing", not some crazy performance intensive obscure and complicated thing that no one has ever conceived of.

I am generally speaking. I can't speak much more than generally, because I have no experience with Unity. That's why this isn't really a discussion, because I cannot come from an informed standpoint. Your point is "brewing up something yourself isn't worth the time" my point is "it could be worth the time". I don't really think this is a discussion because we both can be right, depending on what you want to do, like I said in one of my posts much earlier.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Police Automaton posted:

I didn't really need much longer than a week for the basic version (without the generator and stuff) and the interface gave me unlimited a 4-figure framerate on my old computer back then.
Right, and then you want to simultaneously support that to PC/Mac/Linux, aaaand everything breaks. Even if the libraries you're using support that (one won't, invariably - usually sound or input), now you're supporting a patchwork of libraries across god knows how many platforms, and any fix you make to the library risks kicking another platform over, so you end up with a patchwork of platform-specific changes and aaaagggh.

Unity/UE4/etc side steps that entire mess. Which is a REALLY important time savings (in addition to many ports being push-button instead of fights), if you're aiming to do this for a living. You're right that it isn't hard to whip up bare metal 2D on a single machine, it's just the "and then making sure it works everywhere" part that takes time in that case.

As usual, though, if it's for fun? Yeah sure do whatever. Maybe you really enjoy the low-level fights, and can afford to take the time to have them / it's worth it to you. The "use an engine!" advice only really applies if you're gunning to make some manner of living off your software, or gunning for a job in the industry (where they will be using one of those engines more or less guaranteed).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Somfin posted:

Starting from scratch is hell.

Scratch isn't the only alternative to Unity is the thing though.

For 3D Unity is the simplest way to get running, but for 2D I see where he's coming from. Plenty of other engines or libraries could get you going just as fast as Unity when it comes to 2D stuff, maybe even faster/simpler.

That said don't start from scratch, no.

Police Automaton posted:

But I can't really say how many of my points actually hold true as long as I haven't tried it. So I won't.

That doesn't make sense though. If anything that's a reason to try Unity and find out.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Shalinor posted:

Right, and then you want to simultaneously support that to PC/Mac/Linux, aaaand everything breaks. Even if the libraries you're using support that (one won't, invariably - usually sound or input), now you're supporting a patchwork of libraries across god knows how many platforms, and any fix you make to the library risks kicking another platform over, so you end up with a patchwork of platform-specific changes and aaaagggh.

But, but it worked both on Linux and windows, I tested it! :D

Yes, yes. Point taken, I am convinced. I will look into unity and see if it's really worth my time to work my way into it. I can still decide, as I said. It doesn't really matter if I ever get done with anything. I think my resistance is that I learned for so many years that every kilobyte/megabyte/tick counts. I guess this just isn't the case anymore.

Zaphod42 posted:

That doesn't make sense though. If anything that's a reason to try Unity and find out.

Worded it strangely. I meant I won't try to claim that I am right. Sorry.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Police Automaton posted:

I think my resistance is that I learned for so many years that every kilobyte/megabyte/tick counts. I guess this just isn't the case anymore.
Yeah. We're in the age of "I'm going to foreach across this Dictionary to find an arbitrary object every frame and I'm not going to cache it because gently caress you that's why." I used to be a AAA graphics programmer, senior, "the min-spec queen" (actual title), etc aaaand over about 5 years I saw that vanish entirely under a wave of "just use an engine / just trust the shader that ShaderWorks spits out and let the artists make it out of draggable widgets." The transition happened really fast.

EDIT: VV I like Moore's Law - it states that I can get twice as lazy year over year and nothing bad will happen. I like being lazy. :unsmith:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 29, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shalinor posted:

Yeah. We're in the age of "I'm going to foreach across this Dictionary to find an arbitrary object every frame and I'm not going to cache it because gently caress you that's why." I used to be a AAA graphics programmer, senior, "the min-spec queen" (actual title), etc aaaand over about 5 years I saw that vanish entirely under a wave of "just use an engine / just trust the shader that ShaderWorks spits out and let the artists make it out of draggable widgets." The transition happened really fast.

Moore's Law is a motherfucker.

Police Automaton posted:

Worded it strangely. I meant I won't try to claim that I am right. Sorry.

Ah I see what you meant.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Shalinor posted:

You kinda notice that things have changed when some hardware setups don't really leave their performance bracket for 5 to 6 years and intel goes "here have this new thing that's the old thing. We just rearranged a few things internally.". I mean, I guess it's good, but it also kind of weirds you out. I went back into electronics after years of IT and there the entire landscape has changed too. They now stuff things like power supplies in such tiny packages and there also everything is a black box that just... works. Things that would have needed a dozen of ICs and very careful planning and expensive design and test runs is now just - "Hello, I am the manufacturer. Here have this IC and a reference schematic how to use it. It does absolutely everything because it runs on Magic. Knock yourself out." Great from an efficiency standpoint, but not equally as satisfying somehow.

I guess I am going to have this revelation regarding game programming too in the next few weeks. I am sorry, I hope I didn't cause this thread too much of a derail.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
I think the resistance to using existing engines and frameworks in at least some part comes from the fact that learning how to use them effectively takes a lot of time and it's daunting to consider that learning curve.

The fact that the idea making everything from scratch sometimes feels less daunting than learning someone else's system is just a glitch in our brains. In practice it's orders of magnitude more work.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Fangz posted:

I assume you grow and grind the flour yourself?

I guess the deconstructed form of this would be using ASM to write your game, like Rollercoaster Tycoon.

Or maybe QBASIC.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've tried building games from scratch. Used SDL for graphics/sound/input, but did everything else myself, in Python. I finished two fairly simple projects and left one very much incomplete. My major lessons from this:

* Asset handling is a bitch. You have to write your own metadata files to describe how the frames in an animation go together, the parsing of those files, the actual playing of the animations, all that crap. This is tedious stuff; not difficult, but very time-consuming.

* Physics is a bitch. I was just doing simple 2D platformers using convex hull collision detection (based on that old N tutorial), but it still took me a week to get basic collision detection working and the better part of a month to the point where the collision response wasn't routinely causing crazy glitches. And I didn't have a day job at the time, so this was me putting in pretty serious work hours 6+ days a week. I will grant that if you stick to axis-aligned bounding boxes and don't have slopes, then this is a lot easier to do properly, but see below.

* You can spend literal months or years working on stuff that just simply isn't your game, it's the crap you have to have in order for your game to exist. Your game is not the physics engine. Your game is not the audio mixer. Your game is not the asset loader, or the input handler, or the installer, or the networking code. But your game needs all of that stuff, and by a massive margin the easiest way to get it is to use Unity or UE4 or a similar system where someone else has already done all the work of making sure those various systems play nicely with each other.

Now, I'm not saying you should never write stuff from scratch. It can be a great learning experience, for one thing. But then your goal isn't so much "make a game" as it is "learn how games work under the hood". The right tools for the former task are not the right tools for the latter task.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah I have maybe two hours a day to work on my games. There's no way in hell I'd ever start something from scratch.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can spend literal months or years working on stuff that just simply isn't your game

You can spend literal months or years working on stuff that just simply isn't your game

This is purestrain truth.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

But it's so satisfying to make an engine. No more forced crappy abstractions, no more wild inefficiencies, no more mysteries! Of course, as others have said, it's the bane of demonstrable productivity, but if you ever want to go on a journey of self-discovery...

More practically, there are a glut of engines out there these days. Not everything has to be in Unity or UE. I'd say it would be extremely worth your while to shop around until you find one whose design paradigms match your intuitions. I'm extremely let's say ideological when it comes to game development (clearly it's a hobby and not a career), and there has been something about all the major game engines I've tried that has offended my sensibilities. Every year or so I'd go back and comb through whichever engines were hot and muck around in a few.

Recently I stumbled upon Godot, which is not for everyone (its lack of documentation, even an accurate API ref, imply that it's not for almost anyone at present), but this last month with it has been very encouraging. It feels like the logical extension of the engine I was trying to make: object oriented from the ground up, Python (close enough) language, built-in layout editor (I was not looking forward to coding my own one of those).

I can't say what'll be good for you, but it really doesn't take very long to determine that you're uncomfortable with an engine (or a framework), and we're living in a buyer's (freeloader's) market these days. Spend an hour with a tool, make a first impression, judge the heck out of it, and never look back. At some point one of them will be judged worthy.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I wouldn't mind like something in between nothing and Unity: Doesn't need the fancy interface, just C#, but with some graphics hooks to get things on the screen easily and maybe some of the other features available like physics.

I guess that just means I want XNA/MonoGame though.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Yep that's XNA. It's what I'm using currently. Exactly what I want in terms of depth and the IDE runs like a dream, but it's a fossil at this point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone catch Microsoft's announcements today? Being able to run Android and iOS apps on Windows with "minimal adjustments" and a new code editor that runs on Linux and OSX. Also Visual Studio 2015 got a release in preparation for a full release this summer.

Kind of an interesting time for Windows.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Honestly the most satisfying things so far have been scripting in GameMaker and working with PyGame, and GameMaker seems like it's the closest to what I want. I'm really trying to get a solid one-room playable prototype before I really dig super deep into the rest of the design (though tons of ideas are floating around), and I think I'm being too drat picky with my engine. GameMaker's where I've gotten furthest, but the lack of Mac editor support is a pain given OS X is where I do everything else. Plus, I think with GM I'm going to be rolling my own lighting engine.

I basically want multiplatform support, rendering, audio, file pipelines, and input (you know, the boring poo poo) mostly covered for me, and I'm comfortable writing my own game scripting and making assets. I'll have to check Godot out, but it's a lot to learn for every engine to get even as far as something briefly playable and find out I'm not too into it. UE4's lighting for example is really nice but I'm having problems getting it to work for 2D, and the 2D system is early access as it is, that sort of thing.

I also have like an hour a day tops to work on all this so it's real slow going so far.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Unity with its new UI and built in 2D is really pretty awesome for just getting stuff going quickly like that. I'd choose it every time over XNA now that I've got Unity under my thumb. The learning curve is a bitch, though.

I threw this together in Unity in about 3 hours except for some final graphics using all modern built-in unity stuff, no third party assets at all: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-32/?action=preview&uid=52756

Unormal fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 29, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I really like coding for pygame, I've done python at work for like 20 years now so I'm really comfortable making stuff with it.

Until it's to deployment time. In today's "does it run in a web browser?" world, python is kind of a dinosaur.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Hammer Bro. posted:

But it's so satisfying to make an engine. No more forced crappy abstractions, no more wild inefficiencies, no more mysteries! Of course, as others have said, it's the bane of demonstrable productivity, but if you ever want to go on a journey of self-discovery...

More practically, there are a glut of engines out there these days. Not everything has to be in Unity or UE. I'd say it would be extremely worth your while to shop around until you find one whose design paradigms match your intuitions. I'm extremely let's say ideological when it comes to game development (clearly it's a hobby and not a career), and there has been something about all the major game engines I've tried that has offended my sensibilities. Every year or so I'd go back and comb through whichever engines were hot and muck around in a few.

Recently I stumbled upon Godot, which is not for everyone (its lack of documentation, even an accurate API ref, imply that it's not for almost anyone at present), but this last month with it has been very encouraging. It feels like the logical extension of the engine I was trying to make: object oriented from the ground up, Python (close enough) language, built-in layout editor (I was not looking forward to coding my own one of those).

I can't say what'll be good for you, but it really doesn't take very long to determine that you're uncomfortable with an engine (or a framework), and we're living in a buyer's (freeloader's) market these days. Spend an hour with a tool, make a first impression, judge the heck out of it, and never look back. At some point one of them will be judged worthy.

But this is the "Making Games Megathread", not making engines megathread so....

Nition posted:

I wouldn't mind like something in between nothing and Unity: Doesn't need the fancy interface, just C#, but with some graphics hooks to get things on the screen easily and maybe some of the other features available like physics.

Sounds like you want Futile lib with Unity? http://struct.ca/futile/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Honestly I haven't really gotten back into gamedev since those made-from-scratch days, and all's I want is a multiplatform engine that'll handle graphics/sound/input/physics for me so I can play at making procedurally-generated 2D Metroidvanias. :v: I did download Unity and take a look at it, ran through some of the tutorials, and it was clear that it was capable of doing basically anything you wanted, but that vastness of scope made it difficult for me to find more narrowly-focused guides. Like, if there was a demo 2D platforming game that I could just download and start modifying to be what I wanted, I didn't see it. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. But I learn much more easily from example than from documentation/tutorials/videos, especially when I'm first getting started.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Like, if there was a demo 2D platforming game that I could just download and start modifying to be what I wanted, I didn't see it. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. But I learn much more easily from example than from documentation/tutorials/videos, especially when I'm first getting started.

There are plenty in the Asset Store but for a free one check out prime31's CharacterController2D https://github.com/prime31/CharacterController2D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nition posted:

Yep. I used XNA for awhile back when it was being actively developed, then switched to MonoGame, and lately I've been using LibGDX.

There's definitely a ton of options between "write everything yourself" and "use unity/UE" when it comes to 2D.

When it come to 3D though, just use Unity, for the love of god.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

There are plenty in the Asset Store but for a free one check out prime31's CharacterController2D https://github.com/prime31/CharacterController2D

Awesome, thanks; I'll have to check this out.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

poemdexter posted:

But this is the "Making Games Megathread", not making engines megathread so....

Sounds like you want Futile lib with Unity? http://struct.ca/futile/

Next time I do a game I think it will most likely be Unity but with minimal Unity-ness. One GameObject in a scene to act as an event sender and not much else. Futile maybe if it's 2D, yeah.

I did also really like XNA when I used it years ago though.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Nition posted:

Next time I do a game I think it will most likely be Unity but with minimal Unity-ness. One GameObject in a scene to act as an event sender and not much else. Futile maybe if it's 2D, yeah.
I think this is how everyone feels after shipping a Unity game. "Next time, I'll use Unity, and just... make it as not-Unity as I possibly can!"

(It really is a good platfom, but using any of their GUI / high level stuff will eventually drive you insane)

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
All GUI content in Scraps is currently written in the legacy GUI system. Good times.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Yodzilla posted:

There's also the official 2D Platformer example: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11228

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nition posted:

All GUI content in Scraps is currently written in the legacy GUI system. Good times.

Ouch. Even the little amount of GUI fuckery I've done pre-4.5 drove me up the wall. All I wanted to do was render text on screen, and I had this huge horribly hacked together thing to make sure it rendered at the right size for the resolution and so on. 90% of what I wrote I ended up straight up deleting when I replaced it with the new GUI stuff.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

All I wanted to do was render text on screen, and I had this huge horribly hacked together thing to make sure it rendered at the right size for the resolution and so on.

That one is actually pretty easy:

code:
void OnGUI() {
	// Scaling for a standard resolution
	float scaleX = (float)Screen.width / YOUR_NATIVE_WIDTH;
	float scaleY = (float)Screen.height / YOUR_NATIVE_HEIGHT;
	// Scale width the same as height - cut off horizontal edges on squarer screens to keep ratio the same
	GUI.matrix = Matrix4x4.TRS(Vector3.zero, Quaternion.identity, new Vector3(scaleY, scaleY, 1));
	// Get width after taking into account edges being cut off or extended
	int adjustedWidth = Mathf.CeilToInt(YOUR_NATIVE_WIDTH * (scaleX / scaleY));

// Everything from here on will be scaled automatically - you can treat it like it's adjustedWidth x YOUR_NATIVE_HEIGHT
}
Edit: Since you're talking about text, you may have wanted it to display at exact different font sizes rather than scaling big text down. In practice it tends to look pretty OK as long as your native res is big though.

Nition fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 30, 2015

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Critique please.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Can you be a little more specific for everyone who isn't intimately familiar with what you are trying to achieve?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

wayfinder posted:

Can you be a little more specific for everyone who isn't intimately familiar with what you are trying to achieve?

Oh sorry, I just wanted to know if everything readable. Like the rock, lighting from the right, the cave in the background. That's about it. And perhaps if it looks nice or things I should improve on. I guess this isn't a place to ask for art direction, but I got useful feedback before about it from another guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nude posted:

Oh sorry, I just wanted to know if everything readable. Like the rock, lighting from the right, the cave in the background. That's about it. And perhaps if it looks nice or things I should improve on. I guess this isn't a place to ask for art direction, but I got useful feedback before about it from another guy.

Is this meant to be complete?