Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Man Whore posted:

The killing babies part is propaganda but you can not deny that the altmer pride themselves on their racial similarity to the original Ehlnofey and they definitely look down on mixing with "lesser" races.

Yeah, I just wish they'd managed to get the Ehlnofey part across more instead of just making them all Draco Malfoy.

I mean there's something kind of tragic about these people who push themselves to the highest pinnacles of culture and civilisation, but it's just never enough.

They'll always have a racial memory of a place so perfect and fragile that it literally ceased to exist the moment Time and Potential came into being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Man Whore posted:

The killing babies part is propaganda but you can not deny that the altmer pride themselves on their racial similarity to the original Ehlnofey and they definitely look down on mixing with "lesser" races.

They are mentioned in Oblivion. They are the "syndicate of wizards" that led a boycott of imperial goods. poo poo just got all hosed up during the reign of Uriel the seventh because Jagar Tharn kidnapped him for 10 years and just let the empire start falling apart at the seams. The oblivion crises just gave the extremists that were already there the chance to seize power. the rumors you hear in oblivion definitely gave the feel that the empire is in the decline.
The syndicates of wizards could be everyone. It's not clear they are the Thalmor or even related to them. Considering how antiethical the Thalmor are to previous Altmer civilisations, I'd think they are not those syndicates.
And yes, the Altmer look down on everyone else. With good reason - they are objectively right. Sadly only the Imga understand this.

I agree, the Empire already was in decline, as was obvious by Uriel's desperate plots in Daggerfall and Morrowind. It pretty much had been in decline since Empress Katariah was assassinated and the Elder Council decided to just gently caress everything up for her son. It's just too bad that we skipped over all the delicious political fallout (maybe even drag out the fall of the Empire for a game or two) and skipped straight to 200 years later so we could have jackboots and dragons.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Cyrodiil really is like Ancient Rome, except for the difference that imagine that every few hundred years after Rome falls, it comes back, bigger and better than ever.
You mean like the Ottoman Empire? :v:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Well you can't exactly say that they came back bigger and better after the Oblivion Crisis. Otherwise we would not have had this whole bullshit with the Thalmor and Skyrim's Civil War.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

The Empire is pretty much done for by Skyrim, and there's no way it'll be able to bounce back. No more Dragonborns, no more Amulet of Kings, and remember Tiber Septim was only able to unify all of Tamriel by being A) Talos and B) using a doomsday device to wreck everyone's poo poo simultaneously. The previous official Cyrodillic empires were Alessian which never came close to conquering all of Tamriel and Reman which was less outright conquering of all of Tamriel (which it barely could claim) but unifying [almost] everyone for the Akavir invasions.

So in that sense the reason Skyrim is set so far ahead of Oblivion is because it is a reboot of the series. The Empire isn't coming back, at least not like it was in the third era. It is thematically post apocalyptic in how everything has pretty much collapsed and shaken up.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 27, 2015

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Scyantific posted:

Well you can't exactly say that they came back bigger and better after the Oblivion Crisis. Otherwise we would not have had this whole bullshit with the Thalmor and Skyrim's Civil War.

My response is that it hasn't happened yet . :D

The Mede Empire is just the shambling corpse of the Septim Empire waiting to fall.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Berke Negri posted:

So in that sense the reason Skyrim is set so far ahead of Oblivion is because it is a reboot of the series. The Empire isn't coming back, at least not like it was in the third era. It is thematically post apocalyptic in how everything has pretty much collapsed and shaken up.
So much this. Skyrim became much more enjoyable once I realized it was basically a post-apocalyptic setting. The terrible decline of all established institutions is just the icing on the cake.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

If the previous Elder Scrolls games are all tied up in doing something for Uriel Septim, Skyrim and anything coming after it is whatever you want your character to do. I think its a good step forward, though they fumbled the ball a bit in Skyrim.

I'm guessing that the "canon" ending of Skyrim is going to be regardless of who the dragonborn sided with Skyrim is pretty much lost to the Empire or the Empire suffers another series of set backs. Wherever it is set (Valenwood would be great, its very interesting in ESO) the Empire will have a more ancillary role in the story.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
My guess is that TES VI will be Hammerfell or combined Hammerfell/High Rock. Just looking at the map of Tamriel, those areas are around the same size as Skyrim or Oblivion, so if Bethesda wanted to do a similar sized game they could use that region. Plus we get to revisit Daggerfall. I figure since they reused Solstheim in Skyrim, and Daggerfall came out so long ago, Bethesda would have no problem revisiting that area. I'm hoping they'll announce something at E3 but it'll probably be FO4 (which is fine too).

I just finished the civil war quest in Skyrim on the anti-Empire side and I think I liked it better than the pro-Imperial one. I'm thinking TES VI will be all about pushing back against the stuck up Thalmor and maybe trying to reunite the Empire.

Speaking of the earlier games, I started with Morrowind at release but never played any of the earlier ones. I thought Oblivion was a step back story-wise; a workable game but kind of dry and boring compared to Morrowind. I feel like Skyrim moved us back towards Morrowind but not all the way. Skyrim is fun but it never re-created the awesome feeling of wandering and exploration I got out of Morrowind.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
As I've mentioned before I wouldn't mind seeing the Summurset Isles in the next TES but that's solely on account for wanting to adventure in a tropical area this time around, instead of faux-Middleearth.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Would be hella hype for Hammerfell because Redguards are the best race

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Also I want to see bethesda make a desert that doesn't look green and slimy.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Hammerfell would be something along the lines of Arabian Nights in the general design direction, right?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Reposting these from the other TES thread. There's plenty of ways you could make a place like Hammerfell rad as fuk, none of which will make it into the game. It's probably better to expect boring dunes and generic Aladdin architecture.

These are all from Socotra btw

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Ahundredbux posted:

Hammerfell would be something along the lines of Arabian Nights in the general design direction, right?

yes, so a bit more creative than the last two provinces but not alien so that they would gently caress it up or tone it down.
I think bethesda did a good job making skyrim unique considering the setting but I still don't trust them with some of the cooler provinces.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 28, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Oh yeah, they hit the target with both Oblivion and Skyrim even if the respective fantasy tropes are outplayed and generic.

If they did something in those veins it would probably end up pretty cool since it's a very neat setting to start with. They can take stories about djinns and repurpose them for daedra and stuff too :3:

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I'll laugh when it turns out they're just making Skyrim 2.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Drunk in Space posted:

I'll laugh when it turns out they're just making Skyrim 2.

This time on a new* engine for sure.

* not really

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Skyrim 2 - Vivectric Boogaloo

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Skyrim 2 - Rim Harder

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Skyrim 2 - Do-over-kiin

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

The Elder Scrolls VI: Morrowind II: Skyrim 2: Return of the Cliffracers

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Return of the Cliffracers

This would really be the best thing. We need another cleansing of the casuals who have never experienced the terror of cliffracers.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

same but I want to play as a cliffracer

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I'm gonna mantle Jiub so hard.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Another way a canon ending for Skyrim could make player choice in the civil war irrelevant is if the last known dragonborn y'know, steps into the obvious opening for one as emperor. That neatly reunifies Skyrim and the Empire regardless of what the player did before.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

Make the player character a cliffracer and all the NPCs cliffracers on a map that's nothing but endless Ashlands terrain. Then make the ending a cutscene of Sheogorath repeatedly smacking a copy of Morrowind with Wabbajack.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Whoops, wrong loving thread. Uh, go Vivec?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

chairface posted:

Another way a canon ending for Skyrim could make player choice in the civil war irrelevant is if the last known dragonborn y'know, steps into the obvious opening for one as emperor. That neatly reunifies Skyrim and the Empire regardless of what the player did before.

what race and sex is the last dragonborn?

I guess they could get around that by pulling dragon break fuckery and having them be every race and gender at the same time which would actually be kind of cool.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

chairface posted:

All hail our new gay lizardman emperor~

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Usually they seem to have the PC from previous games just kind of gently caress off and disappear from the historical record after the Event they're apart of, so I don't think the Dragonborn will become the next emperor.

A vampire Khajiit high on skooma and can summon dragons would still be better than the Medes though.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
My guess is that after the events of Dragonborn, the PC gets stuck in the libraries forever.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
I was thinking about possible TES VI's and i had to do it

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Man Whore posted:

The killing babies part is propaganda

Apparently I was wrong and at least during Morrowind it was still considered true.

Lead character artist from morrowind posted:

From what I understand, the High Elves in Morrowind are far from effeminate. True, their culture revolves around looks, but in a rather harsh way. In fact, they will kill any offspring that do not fit the "ideal". Perhaps this is one of the reasons that their race is on the decline... low birth rates aside.

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/forum-archives-others

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 30, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

other player invasions as cliffracers :getin:

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

Skyrim 2 - Vivectric Boogaloo
It is the near future. The apocalypse has had an apocalypse. A rogue Thalmor army is reshaping the world into Elven-hell, and only one thing can stop them! ("Let's show them how Dovahcommandos get it done." "Vanah hir-style, milkdrinker!" "I want them alive.") From the toxic ashes of Great War II, a new breed of renegade soldier is born: part man, part dragon, all Dovahcommando. ("gently caress you.") Sgt. Rex Equinus is leading the battle between good and evil as it's never been fought before. He's on a desperate mission to bring down a battalion of ruthless killer Thalmor and save the world. ("Lights our, Rex.") Michael Biehn is Sgt. Rex Equinus in this year's most thrilling, action-packed, Dovah-adventure...

Skyrim 3: Blood Dragon

(ENBs and mods sold separately.)

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I sometimes feel that bitching about Elder Scroll games is like some teenager bitching that theu got the wrong car for their birthday. I mean Bethsoft does some stupid and/or lazy poo poo but they are the only players on the field. Maybe Witcher 3 will change that.

The only other games I can think of are the Gothic series of games and it's off shoots. They are all even more generic/ugly/buggy etc etc though. The newer Divinty games are similar in Gothic. Can anyone think of anything?

Edit: Arx Fatalis was pretty good. Being able to cook poo poo/melt ore by tossing in a fire/furnace was pretty baller at the time.

MrTargetPractice fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 30, 2015

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Unless Witcher 3 becomes a first person game with hoarding simulator elements, I don't see it directly competing with Bethesda.
I always thought Bethesda fans were really weird because everyone seems to hate Bethesda with a fiery passion.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
I... think I like Oblivion better than Skyrim after replaying both recently. For all the jankiness that Skyrim fixed, the quests are so much better in Oblivion.
It seems that Skyrim has more stuff to do but Oblivion has more worthwile stuff to do.

However the leveling system is still pretty stupid but not as bad as people said it would be.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Dux Supremus posted:

It is the near future. The apocalypse has had an apocalypse. A rogue Thalmor army is reshaping the world into Elven-hell, and only one thing can stop them! ("Let's show them how Dovahcommandos get it done." "Vanah hir-style, milkdrinker!" "I want them alive.") From the toxic ashes of Great War II, a new breed of renegade soldier is born: part man, part dragon, all Dovahcommando. ("gently caress you.") Sgt. Rex Equinus is leading the battle between good and evil as it's never been fought before. He's on a desperate mission to bring down a battalion of ruthless killer Thalmor and save the world. ("Lights our, Rex.") Michael Biehn is Sgt. Rex Equinus in this year's most thrilling, action-packed, Dovah-adventure...

Skyrim 3: Blood Dragon

(ENBs and mods sold separately.)

YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Syfy should totally make an Elder Scrolls series.

Just like they made a knockoff computer gamey Walking Dead with Z Nation, Elder Scrolls could be their Game of Thrones.

It won't be good, but it would be entertaining and would make a lot of nerds very angry.