Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
took down the 40 meter dipole today. going to try my luck with a 40 meter windom/off center fed dipole/whatever the gently caress you want to call it, see if i can get two bands out of it instead of one

wound a 4:1 balun out of AWG 12 thhn wire on a weed container (its like a big pill bottle)

rg-58 feed with a five turn coax coil right below that balun

one 44 foot leg, one 22 foot leg

i got the long leg up and am cooking dinner now, gonna get it up around midnight :D

e: oh this is all prompted by the fact that I got a heavy duty extending paint pole at home depot on clearance today, 8 foot extending to 24, i'm using it to get the wire way up in the trees. its huge lol. i dont think it'd be stiff enough for beams or whatever but this could absolutely hold up an inverted V or something on field day. 20 bucks

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
based on a bunch of research i altered the antenna before it even went up. it's now a 1/6 - 5/6 offset dipole (11.5 feet on one leg, 57 on the other) with the 4:1. evidently this puts the feedpoint at a better node for 15 meters. basically a longwire almost now

still tryin to get the wires up. turns out it sucks putting ropes in trees when the sun's lined up juuuust right

e: if you're curious about what the gently caress i'm building it's here https://rsars.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/k1poo-4-band-ocfd-40-20-15-10m-richard-formato-iss-1-3.pdf

basically a compromise-ish antenna that makes you build a balun, but you get to work either 3 or 4 bands with acceptable match. rather than my dipole, which was bang on 1:1 at 7.175 mhz, but couldn't do anything but 40 meters (well it had the 3/4 resonance around 22.7 mhz which is useless)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and surprise! cut to the nearest inch and installed within 1m of design height, it resonates at 6.2 mhz instead of 7.2

loll

also it has a perfect 1:1 at 30 meters, is a little high on 20 (expected), 15 wont tune at all, 10 was OK till i cut a foot off and now its trashed

Antennas!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

and surprise! cut to the nearest inch and installed within 1m of design height, it resonates at 6.2 mhz instead of 7.2

loll

also it has a perfect 1:1 at 30 meters, is a little high on 20 (expected), 15 wont tune at all, 10 was OK till i cut a foot off and now its trashed

Antennas!

I have a Jetstream fan dipole kit strung up, but haven't put it to the final height, or slapped the analyzer on it yet.

The spacers that came with it are maybe 5" long at most, and I'm wondering if I should just replace them with some longer pieces of CPVC for separation, before I even try to get the thing tuned up. I haven't dealt with tuning a fan dipole yet, so I'm expecting to take it down about 500 times before getting it anywhere close to tuned.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its hard enough for me to get one pair of elements resonant on one band, no fuckin way would I ever be able to get one of those tuned up

I am RF cursed

but i also think this windom is hosed b/c i used twisted pair for it, and used one (shorted at both ends) pair for each leg.

im going down to ham radio outlet as soon as mrs comes home and grabbing 100' of real antenna wire that isnt some weird linear-loaded RF wormhole. gently caress this im tired of playin around

--I would lengthen the spacers somewhat, that seems too close. i'd want at least a foot or two

e: christ i forgot about insulation VF reduction too. i got this all wrong

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 28, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
still the best thread in the 'pos

crs: gonna solder some powerpoles tonight aww yeah

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
caved in and bought four dogbones and this from ham radio outlet (its so cool to drive down to the ham radio store)

quote:

The best of the rugged, stranded, coated antenna wires (CQ 531) now has a new brother, CQ 532, with 18AWG (OD 0.0445") "Silky" 40% copper-clad steel conductor (Nominal OD, 0.090" including 0.020" jacket. This group of antenna wire, including the CQ 534 26AWG "stealth," is the most popular addition in this field in years! Break strength 125 lbs

super strong, no stretch, and it disappears against trees or pretty much anything

i almost got the 26 just to be an rear end, but its SO TINY and i'm hanging a 4:1 balun and coax off the middle

oh i realized the fuckup on that weird 1/6 5/6 windom - i missed this part in the article

quote:

K1POO studied the 40m OCFD using computer models and in the May and October, 1996 issues of QST, suggested a 0.174 + 0.826 (3.65m+17.38m) split. This split allows the OCFD to be operated as a 4 band antenna as the SWR on the 40m band is less than 3.6:1 and less than 1.4:1 on the 20,15,10m bands

so yeah i'm back to the conventional 33/66% (22/44 feet) windom. bout to finish throwin it up

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
just handed my kid a couple of power poles and she intuitively knew to connect them together like legos. lol. I handed her one of the solder pin things and she shoved it in where it's supposed to go.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
IT WORKS
ok so, i took my time, i did this +/- 1/2 inch. did all the adjustments tweaked the model blah blah. Soldered poo poo up properly and used the right insulators.

IN THE AIR WE GO (between 15 and 20 feet)

gently caress. 3:1 swr on 40, 20 meters has a worthless dip around 14.800, blah.

On a lark i cut 1 foot of wire, run up there and attach it to the short end

ZOWIE WOWIE

1.2 swr at 7.000, flat as a board at 7.150, 1.3 at 7.300 DAAAMN

lets check out 20 HOLY poo poo THERES 20

its a little high on the low part of the band so I gotta use my tuner if I want to hit PSK on 14.070, but its 2:1 at 14.200 and 1.5 at 14.350, so the top end is there

15 and 10 need a tuner and both are dead this time of day so i dunno. both are below 3:1 and tune readily though

so if nothing else i have a 40/20 antenna that works great. first thing i heard on 20 was italians. 40 is absolutely blowing up, i have to run the attenuator now

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/28/after-nepal-earthquake-people-turn-to-ham-radio/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i heard so many sw bc stations last night, i couldnt stop tuning

a short log
-radio romania
-NHK japan
-china radio int'l on about 20 freqs
-radio taiwan
-ABC Northern Territory
-radio new zealand
-vatican radio
-alcaravan radio (1kw out of colombia :O)

-so many others

tldr new antenna is rly fun

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lolol 5 watts of power on 40 meters is making some relays click in the bus. but only on 40

(the antenna is about 5-8 feet above the top of the bus)

sounds like we've got a ~30 foot wire on that relay (quarter wavelengths do this) and it's time to buy some chokes and capacitors

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

lolol 5 watts of power on 40 meters is making some relays click in the bus. but only on 40

(the antenna is about 5-8 feet above the top of the bus)

sounds like we've got a ~30 foot wire on that relay (quarter wavelengths do this) and it's time to buy some chokes and capacitors

i noticed when i keyed up my yaesu in the driveway it set off the security light. lol. also i think my tape deck-->3.5mm thingy is picking up RF

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
almost guaranteed.

the two main ways to get rid of RF loving with stuff:

-if it's DC you can put a blocking capacitor between + and ground on the DC rail. this shorts out AC and RF to ground (not dangerously), but blocks DC.
-put inductors or chokes on the lines coming in. This works with stuff like cat5, coax, DC power. but you have to buy ferrites and if you get toroids (best) you have to make several turns through the core. for the tape adapter you'd obviously want to do a ferrite core with the cable through it a few times (inductance goes up as the square of the turns count)

i'm not sure what value caps to use but I've got a grip coming so we'll throw some on the long DC lines in the bus and see what's up. Upside of this old thing is I can't really gently caress anything up, there's no ECU or electronics.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
this is why i'm obsessed with putting at least a ferrite/cm choke on every I/O line when i design stuff, conducted and radiated susceptibility can be a real bitch with unshielded cables

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
longview i know you're dabbling with throwing HF wires up and want to suggest you try this OCFD/windom style if you haven't

hottest wire i've ever used

mine evidently punches a four-dimensional wormhole straight to VK/ZL land. i heard so many australians last night

e: i have five turns on the feedline choke, thinking of adding 2-3 more to see if that licks it easy

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i might give it a try, will have to check if the dimensions are doable there

in any case i talked it over at the ham meet and decided to start with an 80/40m horizontal delta loop for that sweet nvis rag chewing, still gonna run a ladder line feed

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
deltas are cool. i almost threw one of those up. are you buying ladder line or are you going Full Ham and boiling dowels in paraffin for standoffs

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

deltas are cool. i almost threw one of those up.

might wanna get that looked at

manero
Jan 30, 2006

In other news I got my KX3 back from repair today (a couple of the knobs were a bit unresponsive)

Slapped on my sideKX's on and was farting around with the power meter I picked up in the meantime:

I'm also beyond hyped to get outside and get this guy put up:

Need a mast tho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
those radios are so gd pretty. i'm not a cw dude tho so an elecraft would be wasted on me
i love the filter lcd thingy

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

http://www.amsat.org/?p=3592 posted:

+ Fox-1A will launch on a NASA ELaNa flight during the 3rd quarter of 2015 from Vandenberg AFB,

+ Fox-1B will fly with the Vanderbilt University radiation experiments expected in 2016.

+ Fox-1C will launch on Spaceflight’s maiden mission of the SHERPA multi-cubesat deployer during the 3rd quarter of 2015. This flight was purchased by AMSAT.

+ Fox-1D is a flight spare for Fox-1C. If not needed as a spare it will become available to launch on any open launch slot which becomes available and be submitted in a CSLI proposal in 2015.

+ Fox-1E is built as a flight spare for Fox-1B but has been included in a student science proposal as part of the November, 2014 Cubesat Launch Initiative (CSLI) for an ELaNa flight slot. If selected the Fox-1B spare will fly as Fox-1E.

also tw, reddit, but the top comment is a AMSAT engineer or smth.

http://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/349sc1/with_any_luck_we_will_have_a_spot_on_a_geosat/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wow this is sounding solid as hell

Really wish we could convince just five or ten of those hyper-rich startup nerds to get into ham radio, a dozen of those guys throwing fun money and you've got another satellite up. yes i am asking for handouts lmao

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

oh man that ammeter is hella cheaper than the one i got.. i got fleeced

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
for now i just unhooked the control line to that clicking relay. i'm still being doused in 7 mhz RF, but it's not making noises any more. lol

(i dont run more than like 25 watts ever)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Sniep posted:

oh man that ammeter is hella cheaper than the one i got.. i got fleeced

The one powerwerx sells is ridiculously overpriced.. $50 or something.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

those radios are so gd pretty. i'm not a cw dude tho so an elecraft would be wasted on me
i love the filter lcd thingy

It's making me want to learn CW tbh. Although I did squeak out some nice DX last summer, working Hungary with 5W on SSB.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310969767011

$13.48

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

manero posted:

The one powerwerx sells is ridiculously overpriced.. $50 or something.

yeah 60. i got it off amazon just by searching for it by name, didnt even think to comparison shop cuz i didnt know there were more than one of them.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
powerwerx, rigblaster and west mountain radio are things that sprang into existence because hams in general are easily loosed of their money
nice poo poo but jeeeeeezus that shits steep, and they get away with it with a bunch of :usa:

its like ten-tec. nice radios but god drat theyre proud of em

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

yeah i am learning more and more than most anything Ham Radio specialized now has cheaper counterparts that are RC Car/Plane specialized

since hte latter market is booming in popularity with drones and poo poo, but, the hobbiests arent 70 years old on nice fat fixed incomes and no expenses

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
r/c is a great great market driver. those guys have 0 problem ordering from china so it keeps good shops low

--I got the Windom up higher. it's probably close to 35 feet above ground at the peak of the long end, the center is up to a good 20 feet, short end is about 18. and of course HF is dead today (confirm with my vertical) so no love. maybe as the sun sets. needs retuning again though. i added a total of 2 feet at this point, still resonating a bit high (which is expected; antenna impedance rises as you raise it, so you gotta re-tune)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Well this is promising...

Aw hell no. Got a little work to do on this thing. It's way too high for 20, 18 is almost non-existent, 15 has a dip, but nowhere near useful, and 10m is way too short, too.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
incidentally, the moment of torque of a filled liter water bottle on the end of a 24 foot pole as you try to lift it overhead and drop it between a fork in a tree limb is pretty impressive

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

incidentally, the moment of torque of a filled liter water bottle on the end of a 24 foot pole as you try to lift it overhead and drop it between a fork in a tree limb is pretty impressive

I had the same idea, but I had a leftover fishing reel, and used an extra antenna insulator! Worked like a charm.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my arkansas house's trees look like Harbor Freight socket trees from all the hosed up deep wells i threw on 10 pound test and got snagged in a crook

i like the pole approach more now, esp since i'm kiiiiinda dealing with an overhead power line 3 feet behind our property. more control

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny 290 posted:

my arkansas house's trees look like Harbor Freight socket trees from all the hosed up deep wells i threw on 10 pound test and got snagged in a crook

i like the pole approach more now, esp since i'm kiiiiinda dealing with an overhead power line 3 feet behind our property. more control

wrap a coil 'round that poo poo and get more free power

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

atomicthumbs posted:

wrap a coil 'round that poo poo and get more free power

i have plans for parasite drones that stay in the air forever by seeking out high tension lines, hanging from one of them bat-style with a little hook, and using an induction coil to steal juice to recharge

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

i have plans for parasite drones that stay in the air forever by seeking out high tension lines, hanging from one of them bat-style with a little hook, and using an induction coil to steal juice to recharge

I want to build this but I don't know why it should exist beyond the novelty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Bloody posted:

I want to build this but I don't know why it should exist beyond the novelty

:nsa:

• Locked thread