Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Dux Supremus posted:

It is the near future. The apocalypse has had an apocalypse. A rogue Thalmor army is reshaping the world into Elven-hell, and only one thing can stop them! ("Let's show them how Dovahcommandos get it done." "Vanah hir-style, milkdrinker!" "I want them alive.") From the toxic ashes of Great War II, a new breed of renegade soldier is born: part man, part dragon, all Dovahcommando. ("gently caress you.") Sgt. Rex Equinus is leading the battle between good and evil as it's never been fought before. He's on a desperate mission to bring down a battalion of ruthless killer Thalmor and save the world. ("Lights our, Rex.") Michael Biehn is Sgt. Rex Equinus in this year's most thrilling, action-packed, Dovah-adventure...

Skyrim 3: Blood Dragon

(ENBs and mods sold separately.)

c0da makes this canon, Bethesda make it happen :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ToxicAcne posted:

I... think I like Oblivion better than Skyrim after replaying both recently. For all the jankiness that Skyrim fixed, the quests are so much better in Oblivion.
It seems that Skyrim has more stuff to do but Oblivion has more worthwile stuff to do.

However the leveling system is still pretty stupid but not as bad as people said it would be.

Quests are not why any rational human being plays Elder Scrolls games. Morrowind is undeniably the best in the series and it sure as hell isn't because of the quests.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

TES VI: Taking place aboard a Vehkship in the Ninth Era. :getin:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Pikestaff posted:

TES VI: Taking place aboard a Vehkship in the Ninth Era. :getin:

Hey, if it means I get to tell TalOS to shoot people with explosives made out of Convention then I'm all for it.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Cubey posted:

Quests are not why any rational human being plays Elder Scrolls games. Morrowind is undeniably the best in the series and it sure as hell isn't because of the quests.

I dunno, I like some degree of structure in these kinds of games.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Cubey posted:

Quests are probably the best, but there isn't much to do other than those and getting lost in the desert.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cubey posted:

Actually that's exactly why Morrowwind is the best. The quests are interesting and fleshed out.

Roaming around Morrowind without something to specifically do is loving boring as poo poo. And all the good dialogue and lore was put into quests.

Skyrim is opposite and Oblivion is halfway. I think this is the reason everyone bitches about oblivion. It's not as good as Skyrim at what Skyrim focuses on, and not as good as Morrowind at what Morrowind does.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I find Skyrim's Radiant quests boring as crap and doing any of the quest lines, lacking though they are, preferable to taking generic quest after generic quest.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nasgate posted:

Roaming around Morrowind without something to specifically do is loving boring as poo poo.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here, because what made me fall in love with Morrowind was roaming around with nothing to do. Stumbling into some nondescript cave or ruin could end with you leaving with some ridiculous artifact, which made blind exploration feel really worthwhile. To this day, I still haven't explored everything since Morrowind was a lot more densely packed with caves and ruins than Oblivion or Skyrim.

And while some quests were decent in Morrowind, a LOT were 'bring this item here' type of things. The only quest lines I actually thought were well-done were the Temple and House Telvanni.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Now I remember.

Actually, no, Morrowind quests are worse.

They are about going back and forth between the quest giver and the target, doing things and reporting, then doing another thing, then reporting, then reporting to the other guy. Problem is, the distance between the two tend to be enormous and if one of them is found in Vivec it is a huge pain.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

The majority of quests in Morrowind, stripped of the dialogue, is basically rake silt strider to A to pick up B to give to C. Hopefully A is in another city or you'll be wandering aimlessly in the wilderness.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I don't think either quest paradigm is perfect. I think the best quests either way were forcing you to piece together the story of what happened in that Dwemer ruin or what caused the slave revolt.

The fast travel systems were clearly built into the quests and they worked toward making the world feel bigger. Now that Skyrim and Oblivion have had a simple fast travel system it's hard to go back (I still probably put about 50 hours into Morrowind in the last year).

I've been playing Moon and Star, that quest mod for Skyrim. I think the main quest in it works close to how I would want a future Elder Scrolls game. You get vague instructions and a quest marker near the goal, you figure out the rest. Unfortunately a couple of the instruction sets you get are TOO vague and the voice acting is goofy. I won't be too hard on it cause like some dude made it in his basement.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
What are the most basic must-have Oblivion mods?

I consider getting rid of everyone's weird-rear end goofy faces one of those 'musts' just fyi.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Zoe posted:

What are the most basic must-have Oblivion mods?

I consider getting rid of everyone's weird-rear end goofy faces one of those 'musts' just fyi.

I made a post about this in the skyrim thread which I guess is okay for oblivion mod discussion because the oblivion mod thread fell into archives.

Man Whore posted:

I don't have a big list but I use Maskars oblivion overhaul and oblvionxp and it solves p much all my beefs with the base game. Maskars has some uhhhh questionable model choices but considering the stuff that shows up on oblivions nexus front-page nowadays the mod is practically prudish. Just make sure you change the model that the female Dremora use in the ini because the default one was loving comical comic book high-heel poo poo. You want to go through it's ini regardless because there is just so much options and its p easy user friendly for an ini.
There is also Oblivion character overhaul which just makes all the characters look p drat nice except the khajiit who were not fully able to escape potato land. You need to have block head installed for it though. Those are my basics for gameplay and anything beyond those is just icing for me.

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/42780/ :MOO
http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/35333/ :OBXP
http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/43752/ :block head
http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/44676/ :OCO V.2

EDIT- I forgot to mention the unofficial patches but those are a given. The thing is though unlike skyrim where they are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED but you can conceivably run fine with out them, oblivion is so broken that YOU NEED THE PATCHES. Theres a whole lot more game breakers in oblivion.
It used to be that the preferred gameplay overhaul was FCOM but 1. a whole lot of the poo poo you needed to install for it went dead and 2. It was hard as balls. Maskars is as hard as you make it while also being incredibly configurable and easy as hell to install so its kind of the preferred overhaul for anyone who is still playing Oblivion for some reason.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 1, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Bholder posted:

Now I remember.

Actually, no, Morrowind quests are worse.

They are about going back and forth between the quest giver and the target, doing things and reporting, then doing another thing, then reporting, then reporting to the other guy. Problem is, the distance between the two tend to be enormous and if one of them is found in Vivec it is a huge pain.

I don't understand why you guys act like this is any different than Oblivion and Skyrim? It is more tedious for the less interesting quests because you can't fast travel to get it over with. But on the whole there was more character reasoning than the general feel of Skyrim's "let's make up some poo poo for the player to do." attitude.

I much prefer tedium given by characters than boring given by npcs whose sole existence revolves around giving the character a lovely quest and some fancy poo poo as a reward.

That said, I will redact my original statement. Oblivion has the best quests. This opinion is heavily weighted by the daedric quests and the Thieves guild and Dark Brotherhood.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

As someone who re-played morrowind recently, I can't disagree. gently caress those god drat "talk to me, then talk to him, then talk to me" quests.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Nasgate posted:

I don't understand why you guys act like this is any different than Oblivion and Skyrim? It is more tedious for the less interesting quests because you can't fast travel to get it over with. But on the whole there was more character reasoning than the general feel of Skyrim's "let's make up some poo poo for the player to do." attitude.

I much prefer tedium given by characters than boring given by npcs whose sole existence revolves around giving the character a lovely quest and some fancy poo poo as a reward.

That said, I will redact my original statement. Oblivion has the best quests. This opinion is heavily weighted by the daedric quests and the Thieves guild and Dark Brotherhood.

I thought the Skyirm Daedric quests were better than the Oblivion ones, in large part because I hated the whole carnival-booth aspect to getting them in Oblivion. Sanguine's quest is much better started by having a drink with a stranger in a bar than stumbling across yet another statue in the wilderness and giving it some wine or something.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Morrowind is an outlier in the series when it comes to fast travel. Daggerfall had map based fast travel. It was a little more in depth as to how you traveled and how much money you spent doing it, but it was there.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I remember the first time I played Morrowind; I guess I didn't know that silt striders existed so I just walked everywhere for a while. One of the first things I did was walk from Seyda Neen to Gnisis because I decided I wanted to join the Imperial Legion. At like level one, so my speed was nil. :downs:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jesus, that's like 3/4 of the way across the island.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

remusclaw posted:

Morrowind is an outlier in the series when it comes to fast travel. Daggerfall had map based fast travel. It was a little more in depth as to how you traveled and how much money you spent doing it, but it was there.

Daggerfall and Arena both had to have fast travel. Literally, Daggerfall was the size of Great Britain and I'm pretty sure Arena it's actually impossible to travel on foot from a city to another.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fister Roboto posted:

Jesus, that's like 3/4 of the way across the island.

Best part is if you don't know the geography in the West Gash you're going to have a hell of a time reaching Gnisis on foot!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I thought the Skyirm Daedric quests were better than the Oblivion ones, in large part because I hated the whole carnival-booth aspect to getting them in Oblivion. Sanguine's quest is much better started by having a drink with a stranger in a bar than stumbling across yet another statue in the wilderness and giving it some wine or something.

I'll give you that part. But imo, raining burning dogs> 3 easy puzzles. And while sanguine quest start was unique, The Hangover is best left as a movie.

sentientcarbon
Aug 21, 2008

OFFLINE GAMES ARE THE FUTURE OF ONLINE GAMING

The numbers don't lie. 99.99% of every Diablo 3 player wants the game to be offline. This is a FACT.

OH SHIT IS THAT A WEBCAM? HOLY CRAP GET THAT AWAY FROM ME! (I am terrified of being spied on, because I am a very interesting person)
Am I the only one who avoids fast travel entirely? It just completely breaks my immersion, and in my opinion removes most of the point for playing Elder Scrolls games (Hey, there's a big beautiful world out there! Let's skip it!). I would use mark+recall/propylons sometimes, because they felt like something that actually fit in the world, and they weren't 'free'-you actually had to get to the place you wanted to mark or find the propylon index you needed, whereas silt striders were just a negligible amount of gold.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

I make a journey once but after that, why walk when you can ride?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I fast travel if i'm doing a quest or going somewhere specific. Because my ADD kicks in hard. I have literally headed out from Morthal to get to Solitude and ended up in Riften.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Man Whore posted:

I make a journey once but after that, why walk when you can ride?

This is what I do. See the stuff on the way the first time, and then skip it so you have more time to find more stuff elsewhere.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I only walk when I'm deliberately intending to explore or do other adventurey things. Otherwise I ride inside the hollowed out body of a giant insect like a civilized person, think you very much.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Do they ever address the fact that Stilt Striders have a large chunk of flesh, presumably barely missing vital organs, gouged out to make way for a little passenger/cargo area? Are they pumped full of painkillers at all times? Is it just magic?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Cerebulon posted:

Do they ever address the fact that Stilt Striders have a large chunk of flesh, presumably barely missing vital organs, gouged out to make way for a little passenger/cargo area? Are they pumped full of painkillers at all times? Is it just magic?

They're giant bugs, maybe they've just been sterilized and everyone rides around in their empty egg chamber or whatever.

What probably hurts is the part where their driver manipulates their organs to control them.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Always important to remember that Dunmer are huge dicks.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I kinda feel like everyone in the Elder Scrolls is actually a huge dick.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
The only ones we don't really know much about the dickishness of are the left-handed elves.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Considering how the Redguardards are philosophically opposed to the other races of Men, I always thought of the Left-Handed Elves as pointy-eared Souths Nords.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Next Elder Scrolls game should replace all human race options with Left-Handed Elves, Tsaesci, Sload, and one of the weird Khajiit variations, like the giant tigers or housecat magi. I know way too many people who played both Oblivion and Skyrim as the most generic white guy possible and they shouldn't be allowed to be that boring :colbert:

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

TESVI should be an RTS with you as the Hist, controlling the Argonians, forming an Argonian Empire that lasts one thousand years.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I want King of Dragon Pass but set in Tamriel.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Cerebulon posted:

Baked on skooma 24/7

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Wolfsheim posted:

I know way too many people who played both Oblivion and Skyrim as the most generic white guy possible and they shouldn't be allowed to be that boring :colbert:

I'm curious what the ratio is of players who try to actually make a respectable-looking character vs. the players who just go with the default face vs. the players who make a bug-eyed toad faced abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
My only two full playthroughs of Skyrim was an argonian thief-type with illusion magic, and a High Elf who was basically Doctor Doom. I just can't play a human.

I still have never played Oblivion, and I kind of want to, despite the somewhat negative opinion of it. The faces are just so bad though.