Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Prescription Combs posted:

What a prick. Serious reality distortion field.

Don't worry he probably didn't have to give up his stock options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I would love if it was that easy of an explanation :(

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Prescription Combs posted:

What a prick. Serious reality distortion field.

Heh, the office I worked at used to be 100 people and last I heard its maybe 20 people.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tab8715 posted:

Ha!

That's when I was working for a MSP doing Apple/HP/Lenovo hardware repair making a glorious $12/h. Everyone making the equivalent of $40k+ was given an immediate 25% pay cut.

The company CEO came to our office after everyone complained where he told the audience it was worse for him because his salary went from 120k to 90k.

I quit my job at a small company (just a handful of employees) a few years ago, and the owner got mad at me for quoting because he "had stopped paying himself a salary so he could pay his employees" and I was betraying him.

Seriously, convince me to stay by telling me the company is bankrupt. Good call.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I quit my job at a small company (just a handful of employees) a few years ago, and the owner got mad at me for quoting because he "had stopped paying himself a salary so he could pay his employees" and I was betraying him.

Seriously, convince me to stay by telling me the company is bankrupt. Good call.

Wouldn't that be good though because he could pay himself your salary?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

He was probably still making a profit and pocketing that without having to pay FICA taxes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

psydude posted:

Wouldn't that be good though because he could pay himself your salary?

Well, when one of the your only two linux administrators quit, in a company that specializes in linux administration, then he could pay himself my salary if he could do my job, which he can't.

sanchez posted:

He was probably still making a profit and pocketing that without having to pay FICA taxes.

Yeah, maybe his kids private school didn't pay themselves a salary so they could have his kids there for free.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm never buying another SuperMicro product again. The hassle is not worth the savings at this point.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I just set up my first email server completely from scratch, hosted locally, proper SSL/TLS* with IMAPS.

It took 30 hours but I'm so proud of it. Now I'm never doing it again.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Methanar posted:

I just set up my first email server completely from scratch, hosted locally, proper SSL/TLS* with IMAPS.

It took 30 hours but I'm so proud of it. Now I'm never doing it again.

Welcome brother. Email is terrible but it will never go away. Outsource that poo poo. Unless you're a poor government employee stuck with BES. I'm so sorry for you. Also notes people. I'm really sorry for you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

skipdogg posted:

I'm never buying another SuperMicro product again. The hassle is not worth the savings at this point.

Reached that point about 3 years ago.

I haven't had a single one that hasn't puked on storage one way or another.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

skipdogg posted:

Dumb hardware loves smart software. Dumb software's gonna have a bad time.

SuperMicro is a bad fit for use cases where your response to failure is something more complex than "throw it out and get a new one."

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If I am ever in a position for hiring I will never ask someone for their salary history. I managed to get the lady to say a number first about the budget they're working with but I felt strong-armed into giving my own salary in order to "pass your resume to the hiring manager." So I lied about it. Makes me feel dirty since reading up on it says it can screw me in the end. Ugh

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SaltLick posted:

If I am ever in a position for hiring I will never ask someone for their salary history. I managed to get the lady to say a number first about the budget they're working with but I felt strong-armed into giving my own salary in order to "pass your resume to the hiring manager." So I lied about it. Makes me feel dirty since reading up on it says it can screw me in the end. Ugh

Gonna have a hard time in your career if you don't learn how to stand firm. Here's my script for this scenario:

Me: I keep my salary history confidential.
HR Drone: <One of a dozen different reasons that you should tell us>
Me: I understand your position. Nevertheless, I will not be discussing my salary history. (Broken record here until they give up).

My response to them telling me that they will not move forward until they have my salary history would be to wish them a good day. This has never happened to me though.

Note that nowhere in my script do I say I "don't feel comfortable" or anything else that implies I could change my mind. I tell them my policy and let them beat their heads against it until they get bored. It's never taken more than a couple times for them to move on.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Maybe I've just gotten really bitter and cynical over the years, but does anyone see these as "red flags"?

quote:

Onsite fitness center and discounted fitness programs
Massage therapy room
Game room, driving range, nap room, basketball court, bocce court
Onsite catering services
Custom roasted coffee roasted daily and free for all associates!

Just screams "you can't leave so we'll at least try to make it comfortable". I know game development houses pull this stuff...

"Nap room" indeed...

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Negative, because your salary is for 40 hours and you even get to use those things during those 40 hours, how tremendous.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Places are just starting to see the benefits of caring about employee health and happiness. My ex-employer just put in a game room for their (hourly) employees to use on lunch and breaks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vulture Culture posted:

SuperMicro is a bad fit for use cases where your response to failure is something more complex than "throw it out and get a new one."

It's also a bad fit for anyone who expects their hardware vendor to do more than 5 minutes of validation of the hardware configuration.

I've seen Supermicro boxes ship out with hard drives that aren't on the HCL for the raid card (or firmware of the raid card) installed. That poo poo just shouldn't happen.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Onsite fitness center and discounted fitness programs
Massage therapy room
Game room, driving range, nap room, basketball court, bocce court
Onsite catering services
Custom roasted coffee roasted daily and free for all associates!

We have all these things too, except we just have foosball/pool tables for that middle item (gently caress I wish we had a driving range, there's like 3 within a 5 minute drive though). Not all companies are trying to be dicks by offering those amenities! I do get your wariness though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The company I work for won't pay their cut of your health insurance unless you get a physical every year. Married? Your wife has to get one too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Maybe I've just gotten really bitter and cynical over the years, but does anyone see these as "red flags"?

Just screams "you can't leave so we'll at least try to make it comfortable". I know game development houses pull this stuff...

"Nap room" indeed...

Nope. That sounds awesome.

Where I'm at we have a few of those amenities on site and it seriously rocks. Work-life balance is pretty good, too. I usually average anywhere from 35-45 hours per week any given week. Historically, if I do 40+ hours, I'll usually pull an abbreviated week the next one or use for comp time to extend a vacation or just plain take a day off.

Not every company is trying to put you in a gilded cage.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

The company I work for won't pay their cut of your health insurance unless you get a physical every year. Married? Your wife has to get one too.
Is the physical covered by insurance?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

$20 copay.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

$20 copay.

Wait, so you have to pay for a physical, just to get health insurance? :stare:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Welcome to Scott Walkers Wisconsin.

Of course our HR director tells us to thank Obamacare, same with why our payments went up 30%.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait, so you have to pay for a physical, just to get health insurance? :stare:

That's not outrageous. I got discounts at my last place if I did a physical and wellness test. They just want to preempt any major poo poo imho.

I was fine with it. Hold my nuts and stick a finger up my butt. I call that a good weekend.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I haven't had my butt fingered yet, but I'm not 40 either.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Conditional on the results of the physical, or only on you taking it?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

GreenNight posted:

I haven't had my butt fingered yet, but I'm not 40 either.

Supposed to start at 30 by the doc or an adventuress girlfriend at 16.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

That's not outrageous. I got discounts at my last place if I did a physical and wellness test. They just want to preempt any major poo poo imho

Move somewhere with a real health care system jesus. You'd make a good Canadian.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vulture Culture posted:

Dumb hardware loves smart software. Dumb software's gonna have a bad time.

Some software guys built a Cassandra cluster and needed to do it on the cheap. The server is still under warranty but their support was basically

LOL yup it's busted.

So I'm used to HP 24/7/4Hr and Dell Gold support. I was like OK, lets get a mobo shipped or something. Oh no, Tech Support doesn't do that, the RMA department does. They don't take phone calls. You have to fill out a web form and wait for them to get back to you. After dealing with real support, this is total crap. HP or Dell is worth the extra money, and I'm not helping the software guys out with any future hardware issues. I'm doing it this once to be nice, but yeah, washing my hands of that stuff after this.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
supermicro is 'we have no idea if this is gonna even work so lets make a trial run' stuff

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

bull3964 posted:

It's also a bad fit for anyone who expects their hardware vendor to do more than 5 minutes of validation of the hardware configuration.

I've seen Supermicro boxes ship out with hard drives that aren't on the HCL for the raid card (or firmware of the raid card) installed. That poo poo just shouldn't happen.
I've never bought full systems from Supermicro, always just used their chassis/boards via vendors like Thinkmate. They worked well enough aside from all the usual fuckups on stuff like RMAs.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

GreenNight posted:

Should probably be doing this anyway..

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Move somewhere with a real health care system jesus. You'd make a good Canadian.

In my case it was to get discounts on healthcare. Not mandatory. My new place charges $50 if you smoke because they know you'll have health issues. I have no issue with that. They offer cessation programs for free to get you off cigs and healthy.

And that was also the most hurtful thing you've ever said to me.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm uncomfortable with it to a certain extent on principle, maybe I'd feel better if it was 100% free, but physicals and vaccinations are a really good idea and I don't think it's the end of the world to make them a condition for receiving insurance.

If you're not going to take the most basic preventive steps, why should they foot the bill for when you get a serious condition?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Supermicro is fine if you buy through a vendor/reseller with a good support team or you have the staff to handle the validation, diagnostics, and supply-chain management.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Super micro talk reminds me of previous company I worked for that bought nvidia motherboards for their cloud offering. The flash that was provided by synnex cause 30% of the motherboards to change their inbuilt Ethernet adapter to the MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00. It was a good time since we provisioned off MAC addresses. Had to send them all back over I guess 80k servers. So what's that 20k or so going back to manufacturer.

Now they're trying open hardware as I recall but the firmware is poo poo so they're having issues actually deploying it and going back to hp and dell.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm uncomfortable with it to a certain extent on principle, maybe I'd feel better if it was 100% free, but physicals and vaccinations are a really good idea and I don't think it's the end of the world to make them a condition for receiving insurance.

If you're not going to take the most basic preventive steps, why should they foot the bill for when you get a serious condition?

Yearly physicals have no impact on health outcomes: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD009009.pub2/abstract;jsessionid=2861FE7E5C7576B54C88A81059EEA384.d01t02; requiring them is an example of why I'm deeply uncomfortable with someone in HR or management with no health care knowledge making decisions about what is appropriate medical care instead of the patient, doctor, or public health expert, but that's hardly new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
yall will be pining for the days when a physical was all that was required by a company for health coverage.