Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's one of the more well talked about points regarding the movie. It loves Carpenter.

You could almost say it follows Carpenter ceaselessly.

(okay should have read the entire thread first)

Edit: Anyways I got some observations on the Entity and it's "personality"

I think how the entity chooses it's appearance depends on it's knowledge of the victim and who the entity is really trying to emotionally hurt.

1. Hugh Mom: The first time we see the entity and it's in the form of Hugh's Mom. Even though it's now after Jay, it's taken a form that really only has special meaning towards Hugh. Also by the end of the movie it seems the "late" stage of the relationship between the entity and it's victim is taking the form of a parent.

2. Old Woman: Here it's taken a form that sticks out like a sore thumb with no apparent special meaning towards Jay. It's almost as if it's testing Jay to see if she got the message from Hugh or she's just going to be an easy kill.

3. Heels / Tall Man: Okay the entity broke into Jay's house and has taken the form of Heels and Tall Man, both are terrifying alien forms. Remember, it's not stupid and it could have killed Jay right away if it had taken the form of say Paul or Yara and manage to trick Jay. Instead it's taken the forms that it knows will cause Jay to freak the hell out and know 100% for sure that it's out to get her.

4. Obfuscated Girl in High School: Implied by the camera focus and her very straight, focused mode of walking to be the entity. What's significant here is that the entity is moving through a High School however rather than an Old Woman who's really obvious, it's now actively camouflaging it's approach. Now it's actually trying to get at Jay.

5. Yara/ The Kid: The entity has taken on forms that are directly related to Jay. It's like the entity is finally figuring out what will actually cause her pain and scare her even more. It knows her a bit better, yet in a way it's still just trying to mess with her. As people pointed out, it could have just killed Jay when it grabbed her hair, yet it's almost like it allowed Jay to escape.

6. Greg/Gregs Mom: Now the entity is thinking. It knows Jay might be watching and can tip Greg off, so it pretends to be Greg just to try and slip by. It doesn't work but it show's it's actively trying and strategizing. Then when it turns into Greg's mom, for a moment it looks at Jay as if to say "Hi, look what I'm going to do now. That's going to happen to you soon." just before it pounces on Greg and kills him. It's also notable that for the first time it breaks it's own rules twice. It looks away from it's target to Jay, and it actually moves fast. It doesn't just grab Greg, it pounces him lightning fast, as if it can always move fast it just chooses not too.

7. Jay's Father: Finally the entity has taken the form of Jay's father, the "final" stage of it's and Jay's relationship. It's also the moment when it breaks even more of it's rules. When we see it on the roof, we learn that it can stop moving and just "chill", it also doesn't need to go directly for its victim, it took a long way around to get onto the house, probably waiting for an opportunity. At the pool its not trying to get to her if it can help it, it knows it's a trap so it's throwing stuff at her and then it tries to drown her. The rule book is out, the only thing it's bound to is that it just can't kill all of Jay's meddling friends, it can only be focused on Jay.

So I'd say the choice of person the entity chooses isn't random but is based on it's relationship to the victim, which is "victim prime". It starts off with a committed relationship to Hugh where it takes forms related to him (Mom and likely Heels), then it goes into a neutral territory as it familiarizes itself with Jay (Old woman, tall man) until it gets into closer and closer to Jay and it takes forms directly related to her.

The other way of looking at the pattern is that a parental figure is almost certainly the "final stage" of the entity's relationship with it's victim, it's the image it takes when it proceeds to kill, combined with camouflage to get close. Remember Hugh didn't recognize the "girl in gold" at the theater, just probably thought she looked off and tricked Jay into identifying it as the entity, at that point it was just trying to get close to Hugh or at least observe without being noticed.

Shadoer fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Just saw it, definitely appreciated it for it was though I can see why people aren't too crazy about it, I mean it's downright silly when you say the premise out loud. "The STD horror movie. People follow and they don't stop following"

I compare it a lot to Drive which I loved mainly because of what it exuded and it's similar in pacing

Shadoer posted:

Another person that liked this movie.

Now was it just me, or did this movie really crib off of John Carpenter's earlier work? I swear the music, the camera techniques, and even the way the shots were set up just screamed Carpenter to me.

Also how the hell did they get away with a 14A rating?!

I'm assuming you eurocanucks think you are so progressive when it comes to sex

that girl's leg in the prologue was drat gnarly though

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I like how Yara just gets shot for no good reason

People have said just get on a plane and chill in Australia, or sleep with a flight attendant, but I don't think It is just walking around everywhere, just kinda randomly pops up. It follows sidewalks a few times, instead of taking a straight line to someone, but then comes out of a wall at the high school, unless it somehow walked over the roof. Also it was standing still at least once in the film (on a roof, but that doesn't negate my last point!).

If you chill out in Australia for a bit, it's probably going to pop up a few hundred yards away when you're not looking and start creepin'.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Grem posted:

If you chill out in Australia for a bit, it's probably going to pop up a few hundred yards away when you're not looking and start creepin'.

If you get too far away from it, you pop like John Cassavetes at the end of The Fury.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I like when It breaks into someone's house by like just throwing a rock through a window and clumsily falling in.

Inept Petty Burglar Monster In Detroit

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I don't think it necessarily popped out of nowhere, if anything I felt they tended to be consistent about how long it took to travel since we dont really get much frame of reference distance wise. It did seem rather convenient it was far away when she was asleep or out cold, and they definitely could have heightened tension by having it show up in some really inopportune situations. But to their credit it never zips from behind you -> in front of you like your typical horror movie monster. It's very much a thing that gets you because of attrition and catches you slippin

granted there's some hint of it being a thinking creature since it seemed to know what was up during the pool scene, but someone with the curse who had a lot of frequent flier miles could probably keep it going for a while

Monkey Fracas posted:

I like when It breaks into someone's house by like just throwing a rock through a window and clumsily falling in.

Inept Petty Burglar Monster In Detroit

cops actually showing up in Detroit? Movie is unrealistic!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Alan Smithee posted:

I don't think it necessarily popped out of nowhere, if anything I felt they tended to be consistent about how long it took to travel since we dont really get much frame of reference distance wise. It did seem rather convenient it was far away when she was asleep or out cold, and they definitely could have heightened tension by having it show up in some really inopportune situations. But to their credit it never zips from behind you -> in front of you like your typical horror movie monster. It's very much a thing that gets you because of attrition and catches you slippin

That might be one reason I liked it so much. It's like an early Romero zombie movie. It's not the immediate zombies that make for such a depressing, creepy atmosphere, it's their inevitability.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Just saw this myself. I had a moment of realisation towards the end when the girl is reading from that weird looking e-reader(is that a real thing?) that this a loving zombie movie. Think about it, it may be exploring different themes but in essence, the reason that it's scary is the reason people used to find poo poo like zombies scary. And that's really god drat cool.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

That might be one reason I liked it so much. It's like an early Romero zombie movie. It's not the immediate zombies that make for such a depressing, creepy atmosphere, it's their inevitability.

Well that'll learn me, read the god drat thread, cat doter.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Just watched it. This was really fun and excellent.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I felt I should mention I'm naturally a pretty anxious person and I've had a stomach ache since I watched this.

So it has that going for it. First horror movie ever to make me so anxious I'm suffering physical symptoms.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

InfiniteZero posted:

If you get too far away from it, you pop like John Cassavetes at the end of The Fury.

If they ever make a sequel to this movie I honestly want that to happen at some point. Dude tries to get the gently caress outta dodge to avoid It, seemingly succeeds... and then just suddenly pops like a grape as soon as they take off, because gently caress you, you're not getting away.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
In keeping with the film's uncanny sense of timelessness the guy needs to inexplicably take a DC-7 for his intercontinental flight.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

InfiniteZero posted:

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage - Dario Argento
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42F4A-ilDNY
rip tony musante :/

give me your hair tony

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 10, 2015

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Saw it this past weekend and loved it. I don't think it was so much scary as it was unnerving. The part that really got to me was the end when It arrives at the pool and Jay is screaming that it's right there, but no one else can see it. For the majority of the film, we see everything from her perspective, i.e. that It is always a tangible entity. Seeing it from everyone else's perspective (or not, rather) and watching her freak out was loving terrifying.

Other things:

1. I don't think that Jay hosed the guys on the boat, much as Paul didn't gently caress the prostitutes. My feeling was that she went to the edge but couldn't follow through because, like Paul, it wasn't in her somewhat passive character to do so. Conversely, I think that Greg DID gently caress the other girls he was talking to (or someone else), because he demonstrated himself to be more of the womanizer. This would also explain why he didn't see It until much later after he hosed Jay.

2. LOVED the soundtrack. It had a great 90's feeling to it, which really resonated with me. Minus the smartphones/clamshell Kindle, this would have been just as effective as a 90's period piece.

3. Whoever mentioned the way It kills people (by raping them to death) putting the first girl's death into context was spot on. After seeing Greg die, I immediately thought back to the opening sequence and it was again completely unnerving.

4. The only thing that didn't work for me was It's "death" in the pool. It had already been capped in the head/neck a few times before, so why did a random shot seem to stop it?

5. I thought the first "fight scene" with the It on the beach worked fine in the context of the film and the genre. After all, it's a horror flick, so why would we pass up on the opportunity to see the monster in action?

Overall, a really satisfying flick on a number of levels. Highly recommended!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

IT BURNS posted:

Saw it this past weekend and loved it. I don't think it was so much scary as it was unnerving. The part that really got to me was the end when It arrives at the pool and Jay is screaming that it's right there, but no one else can see it. For the majority of the film, we see everything from her perspective, i.e. that It is always a tangible entity. Seeing it from everyone else's perspective (or not, rather) and watching her freak out was loving terrifying.

Other things:

1. I don't think that Jay hosed the guys on the boat, much as Paul didn't gently caress the prostitutes. My feeling was that she went to the edge but couldn't follow through because, like Paul, it wasn't in her somewhat passive character to do so. Conversely, I think that Greg DID gently caress the other girls he was talking to (or someone else), because he demonstrated himself to be more of the womanizer. This would also explain why he didn't see It until much later after he hosed Jay.

Nothing to speculate there, her cast is only wet at the tip afterward, indicating she never swam to them.

quote:

4. The only thing that didn't work for me was It's "death" in the pool. It had already been capped in the head/neck a few times before, so why did a random shot seem to stop it?

It didn't? Thus why its still following afterward. The director said he included it as a dumb idea that only kids would think would work.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

If you got on a plane and went across the ocean, it would walk onto a boat to get to whatever land mass you were on. The trick would be to become one of the first Mars settlers.

I liked this movie, as it had a lot of subtext, was shot interestingly, AND had an interesting enough premise to ponder over what -I- would do in that situation - which always helps to make horror more "fun."

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

You'd think you outsmarted it as you board the plane to Australia, only to see it board the plane seconds before the door closes. Truly hosed.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Really what they should have done is hidden under the sheets. It can't get you. Sheets are invulnerable to Its.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

K. Waste posted:

Really what they should have done is hidden under the sheets. It can't get you. Sheets are invulnerable to Its.

Just make sure you get under the sheets alone otherwise that's how you got into this mess in the first place.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

K. Waste posted:

Didn't work on Freddy in New Nightmare, even with a plush dinosaur protecting the sheet, won't work on Its either.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dont get me wrong I like the idea of getting on a plane as much as the next guy, but point is you spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder, Even under ideal conditions and you have someone watching your back at all times. It could take months to walk from your landmass to Australia or whatever continent you choose, but that's walking time you would have to calculate every last second of, and that's assuming you stay in one place. You could theoretically fly to an even further place but nothing will ever make you forget it's out there.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Dont get me wrong I like the idea of getting on a plane as much as the next guy, but point is you spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder, Even under ideal conditions and you have someone watching your back at all times. It could take months to walk from your landmass to Australia or whatever continent you choose, but that's walking time you would have to calculate every last second of, and that's assuming you stay in one place. You could theoretically fly to an even further place but nothing will ever make you forget it's out there.

Well, if you fly somewhere and have sex with someone daily, you'd be pretty okay, especially if you keep some track of them. You basically would "forget about it" until someone died if you actually lived your life as morally "free" as possible, which kind of ties into the end scene of turning your back on it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Most teenagers can't just fly to Australia to have sex with a random stranger, they are stuck in a place with their parents making sure they don't run off on random adventures.
It Follows is actually a spinoff of the Bond franchise, where It never catches up to the protagonist.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Most teenagers can't just fly to Australia to have sex with a random stranger...

In general, most people don't actually have very much sex.

Also, having sex with someone so that they'll die before you is wrong.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

It Follows is actually a spinoff of the Bond franchise, where It never catches up to the protagonist.

Until Goldeneye.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Best scare moment for me was when it was waking up Greg by pounding on his door, stopped and looked at Jay and turned back to Greg. It knew exactly what it was doing. Single minded, but not stupid

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Most teenagers can't just fly to Australia to have sex with a random stranger

Actually I believe this is called "summer break" by college aged kids.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Annabel Chong is safe for quite a while

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So where are you people watching this? I don't have the luck of living in an area without enough "indie" type theaters to see this and it doesn't seem to be on any streaming services I'm aware of.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

In America, it's been in big theaters for at least a month.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

prussian advisor posted:

So where are you people watching this? I don't have the luck of living in an area without enough "indie" type theaters to see this and it doesn't seem to be on any streaming services I'm aware of.

Theatrically. It played in a big multiplex here.

If it's going to follow a typical release schedule now (which they said it would), I'd guess VOD would happen sometime in about a couple of months.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

or if you're in Australia like me you find the one theatre playing it in the entire major city

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darko posted:

Well, if you fly somewhere and have sex with someone daily, you'd be pretty okay, especially if you keep some track of them. You basically would "forget about it" until someone died if you actually lived your life as morally "free" as possible, which kind of ties into the end scene of turning your back on it.

You having sex daily doesn't do anything, because it only matters for the first person you pass it to. Having sex with a prostitute isn't a bad idea, because they're likely constantly having sex with strangers, so they'd be the next node in the network, constantly making new nodes, thereby keeping the pressure off you for a while. Of course, then you have to deal with the fact that you're killing dozens of unsuspecting people.

As fun as it is to speculate, I think a major aspect of the movie is the fact that you can never stop looking over your shoulder, and that you can't ever trust even your closest friends and family. Any sort of intimacy becomes your possible death. Any sort of sexual contact afterwards becomes predatory on your part. It's a life ruining curse.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Alan Smithee posted:

Darko posted:

sector_corrector posted:

You having sex daily doesn't do anything, because it only matters for the first person you pass it to. Having sex with a prostitute isn't a bad idea, because they're likely constantly having sex with strangers, so they'd be the next node in the network, constantly making new nodes, thereby keeping the pressure off you for a while. Of course, then you have to deal with the fact that you're killing dozens of unsuspecting people.

As fun as it is to speculate, I think a major aspect of the movie is the fact that you can never stop looking over your shoulder, and that you can't ever trust even your closest friends and family. Any sort of intimacy becomes your possible death. Any sort of sexual contact afterwards becomes predatory on your part. It's a life ruining curse.

all three of you are creepy fucks

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

The "daily" part works because if someone you had sex with dies, and you don't know about it you're by default resetting with someone else constantly (until they die). Just having a (very) regular, free sex life would technically keep it at bay.

Cole posted:

all three of you are creepy fucks

Part of the "fun" of new horror concepts is idly speculating ways around them. It's no different than figuring out how to kill Jason (decapitate him or blow his head off), beat The Thing (you can't), or survive if you were stuck on a raft with a floating blob stalking you. It's just as fun/interesting to talk about that kind of thing as it is to talk about the themes, and kind of a throwback to childhood conversations with friends.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The way that I interpreted this movie is that it's about the fear of obsolescence. It's literally not an analogy for STDs at all, despite the obvious parallels, that has nothing to do with the experience the film is trying to convey.

The "retro TVs" aren't displayed just because the characters are hipsters. It's their attempt to capture the "old" and make it "timeless" and "theirs". Similarly we see the imagery of the run-down abandoned Detroit contrasted with the possibility of where they live turning into that. Also most obviously the monster's forms are the old or otherwise undesirable. And this operates on a meta-level as well given the film's obvious inspirations from 80's horror.

Sex acts as a form of vitality and life which makes us feel "desirable" and "new" and staves off decay/deterioration.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Just watched it, echoing everyone in here; that cinematography and music was amazing.

Another analogy to throw onto the already massive pile. I kind of felt the entire movie was an analogy for the millennial's plight and how the american dream they have to chase is now a night mare that is following them. Parents and older figures are practically gone, we are aimless and not tethered to anything really, and eating whatever they felt like. What sold me on this was Greg literally getting hosed to death by his mom, (we as a generation getting hosed by the boomers and the ones before us).

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Death By The Blues posted:

Just watched it, echoing everyone in here; that cinematography and music was amazing.

Another analogy to throw onto the already massive pile. I kind of felt the entire movie was an analogy for the millennial's plight and how the american dream they have to chase is now a night mare that is following them. Parents and older figures are practically gone, we are aimless and not tethered to anything really, and eating whatever they felt like. What sold me on this was Greg literally getting hosed to death by his mom, (we as a generation getting hosed by the boomers and the ones before us).

It's certainly meaningful the movie is set in the suburbs of a decimated Detroit, and only venture into the outskirts to ponder picking up a prostitute or not.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
So, after a woman has sexually awakened, she becomes a target to everyone, including her loved ones. To avoid being raped by her father, she has to get married to another male. The opening also had a sexualised woman (red heels/nightwear) flee her home (and her father) when she becomes afraid of repercussions of sex and get murdered after apologising to her father. Fairly standard horror way of dealing with sex, but executed pretty well by putting it front and centre.

I really liked the imagery that someone pointed out earlier in the thread about Paul gripping Jay's broken wing while her fingers are twitching like she wants to get away. I noticed the wedding dress but not that.

I also didn't realise that when we first see It (when Jay is tied to the wheelchair) that It's in the guise of Hugh/Jeff's mother. That's why she's so taken aback when Jeff's mother answers the door. It makes me wonder why It took that form when Jay was the new target. Just to mock Jeff? The fact It took more and more intimate forms as time passed was interesting.

I wonder if grandma or peeing girl were people she knew or whether they were just strangers. The weird details (like the grandma wearing boots despite being in a hospital gown) and the girl's very specific look with her hand behind her back makes me really curious

A lot to unpack in this film and very enjoyable.

Bugblatter posted:

Nothing to speculate there, her cast is only wet at the tip afterward, indicating she never swam to them.

I couldn't make out the cast that clearly, but I don't think this is true, her hair is clearly wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
This movie has really stuck with me, even though I didn't feel like I LOVED it. The ambiguous parts of it really leave a lot to the imagination.

• Locked thread