Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One flaw I can see with that study is the reason they gave for them not having effect.

quote:

One reason for the apparent lack of effect may be that primary care physicians already identify and intervene when they suspect a patient to be at high risk of developing disease when they see them for other reasons.

That's sort of a chicken and a egg thing isn't it? If you aren't going to the doctor for other reasons, how is something going to get identified and treated? In the past 20 years or so, checkups would be the only compelling reason for me to go to the doctor. There hasn't been a need otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

PCjr sidecar posted:

Yearly physicals have no impact on health outcomes: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD009009.pub2/abstract;jsessionid=2861FE7E5C7576B54C88A81059EEA384.d01t02; requiring them is an example of why I'm deeply uncomfortable with someone in HR or management with no health care knowledge making decisions about what is appropriate medical care instead of the patient, doctor, or public health expert, but that's hardly new.

Seems reasonable to me.

I'd probably stick to my original stance if there was a benefit but I can't justify it if there's not.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

It's a physical. It's 20 minutes. Ekg. Some blood work. A little grab of the nuts and maybe a finger up the butt.

I've been getting them yearly since I was in middle school because it was required to play competitive sports. I don't see why this is an issue.

It's $20. Bring lunch for a week. Isn't your health worth it?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

PCjr sidecar posted:

Yearly physicals have no impact on health outcomes: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD009009.pub2/abstract;jsessionid=2861FE7E5C7576B54C88A81059EEA384.d01t02; requiring them is an example of why I'm deeply uncomfortable with someone in HR or management with no health care knowledge making decisions about what is appropriate medical care instead of the patient, doctor, or public health expert, but that's hardly new.

i just read the summary and that's not precisely true. It basically said that it's pointless because heart disease and cancer are the two leading killers and yearly assessments didn't do poo poo on those two fronts, discounting, and this is a big one, additional referrals and surgeries. That last point along with the huge amount of caveats makes over generalizations like saying it's pointless or even harmful really misleading. You have to be careful with meta-study findings, they're often too narrow to be taken at face value without additional support

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

PCjr sidecar posted:

GreenNight posted:

The company I work for won't pay their cut of your health insurance unless you get a physical every year. Married? Your wife has to get one too.

They are not denying healthcare without a physical. It is just required to get the employer contribution.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Bhodi posted:

i just read the summary and that's not precisely true. It basically said that it's pointless because heart disease and cancer are the two leading killers and yearly assessments didn't do poo poo on those two fronts, discounting, and this is a big one, additional referrals and surgeries. That last point along with the huge amount of caveats makes over generalizations like saying it's pointless or even harmful really misleading. You have to be careful with meta-study findings, they're often too narrow to be taken at face value without additional support

No change in overall mortality or morbidity. If they're generating additional referrals and surgeries those procedures don't result in better outcomes.

lampey posted:

They are not denying healthcare without a physical. It is just required to get the employer contribution.

They're refusing to pay for coverage. Unless your position is that health care is affordable without health insurance, it's the same thing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, I can still pay 100% of the costs, instead of 20%.

Also, no the company doesn't get to see the results of the physicals. I'm pretty sure that's highly confidential.

I turn 34 tomorrow and my doc says no finger butts until I'm 40.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

PCjr sidecar posted:

No change in overall mortality or morbidity. If they're generating additional referrals and surgeries those procedures don't result in better outcomes.
debilitating but non-fatal conditions that can be improved don't show up at all, nor do issues not heart disease or cancer related. and those are likely to be the vast, vast majority of cases diagnosed via yearly checkups.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

GreenNight posted:

I turn 34 tomorrow and my doc says no finger butts until I'm 40.

Missing out buddy. Nothing beats a cold gloved finger up your rectum while you're holding your butt cheeks apart.

E: I'm also the same age as you and now concerned my doctor is a pervert. She's a little Asian lady so odds are it's probably true.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 1, 2015

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Bhodi posted:

debilitating but non-fatal conditions that can be improved don't show up at all, nor do issues not heart disease or cancer related. and those are likely to be the vast, vast majority of cases diagnosed via yearly checkups.

Can you show me studies that show improved outcomes from early detection of non-fatal but debilitating conditions from physical examinations?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm not positive, but I'm fairly certain denying coverage unless you get a physical is illegal. A lot of employers just require them in order to get the employer contribution to your HSA (I didn't bother because the contribution they originally quoted me was for families, but it was less than half for individuals, and I had already undergone one for the VA a week before. So to summarize, gently caress families), and even then it's only to encourage employees to take charge of their health; the employer can't see any of the results of the physical. So there is a good possibility that your HR benefits person is just a moron.

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 1, 2015

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

psydude posted:

I'm not positive, but I'm fairly certain denying coverage unless you get a physical is illegal. A lot of employers just require them in order to get the employer contribution to your HSA (I didn't bother because the contribution they originally quoted me was for families, but it was less than half for individuals, and I had already undergone one for the VA a week before. So to summarize, gently caress families), and even then it's only to encourage employees to take charge of their health; the employer can't see any of the results of the physical. So there is a good possibility that your HR benefits person is just a moron.

Not to be to totally tin hat but some care providers do use physical results for more than a checkbox. Some even have nurses on staff who will look at who's being non-compliant and at the highest risk for awesomely high claims and literally call them to talk about what they can do to improve their health.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

jaegerx posted:

Super micro talk reminds me of previous company I worked for that bought nvidia motherboards for their cloud offering. The flash that was provided by synnex cause 30% of the motherboards to change their inbuilt Ethernet adapter to the MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00. It was a good time since we provisioned off MAC addresses. Had to send them all back over I guess 80k servers. So what's that 20k or so going back to manufacturer.

Now they're trying open hardware as I recall but the firmware is poo poo so they're having issues actually deploying it and going back to hp and dell.

Supermicro also shipped multiple series of boards with identical (all 0) dmi guids

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
An annual physical and any associated bloodwork is free on my insurance. I think that's nice of them.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I recently got a notification in the mail from my insurance company that they'd reviewed a claim for a checkup from my primary care physician (submitted two years ago) and rejected one of the services billed.

It was a 1 cent charge.

To calculate my BMI.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

Supermicro also shipped multiple series of boards with identical (all 0) dmi guids
I've gotten this on IBM replacement boards too, as well as storage systems with serial numbers linked to customers in other countries. It's a surprisingly common problem with a lot of vendors.

lampey posted:

While a physical is a total not-big-deal like 99% of the time, this requirement can be really frustrating when you have something else like term life insurance going through underwriting. You can be like 75% through the approval process, which can take months of due diligence, and oh, the doctor detects a tiny heart palpitation during your exam because you're stressed and over-tired and drank too much coffee that morning. It turns out to be nothing, but you have to redisclose everything and the life insurance company's gonna put all your poo poo on hold while the docs run you through whatever 3-month-long battery of referrals and tests you need to come up clear. Alternatively, you can pay thousands of dollars per month for your family health insurance.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Can you show me studies that show improved outcomes from early detection of non-fatal but debilitating conditions from physical examinations?
Are you joking? They do diabetic foot exams in basically everyone who's seriously overweight. You detect diabetes before the patient's toes become gangrenous and have to come off. I'm literally going to link you the Google search for "diabetic neuropathy early detection":

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=diabetic+neuropathy+early+detection

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 1, 2015

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

I'd reject that too, that doesn't sound like a legitimate billable service whatsoever.

Of course it's not, and I understand why it happened. It's just amusing to me that a) the dr's office put it on a line item b) the insurance company initially paid it c) they reviewed it two years later and decided it was non-covered, and d) mailed me a 20c letter letting me know that it was non-covered.

quote:

Are you joking? They do diabetic foot exams in basically everyone who's seriously overweight. You detect diabetes before the patient's toes become gangrenous and have to come off. I'm literally going to link you the Google search for "diabetic neuropathy early detection":

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=diabetic+neuropathy+early+detection

I'm asking for a study that demonstrates positive outcomes from routine physical examinations. The authors of that meta-review couldn't find one. Requiring otherwise healthy employees to get a physical to get health coverage without empirical evidence that it improves outcomes is bad policy.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I've just spun up my first LAMP machine and I need to put it on the internet. Where can I get a good crash course in Apache/linux admin so I can be sure it is secure?

It's Ubuntu if that matters.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

PCjr sidecar posted:

it's called medicine in general so take your pick. This is way the wrong thread though, let's go yell at each other in the chat thread :quig:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Swink posted:

I've just spun up my first LAMP machine and I need to put it on the internet. Where can I get a good crash course in Apache/linux admin so I can be sure it is secure?

Nowhere. There aren't any "good crash courses" in what is an extremely complex topic.

In general, make sure apache is running as a different user, that CGI (or fpm, or whatever you're running php as) is also locked down. No password auth for ssh, only keys. Don't expose mysql ports (if you need access/replication from another system, whitelist them in iptables and drop everyone else). No crap like phpmyadmin. Use fail2ban. Update regularly.

Also expect to get hacked eventually. There'll be a vulnerability in the code somewhere and someone will get in if it's moderately popular. Back up regularly. And Canonical's track record on security is awful. Don't use Ubuntu. If you want something similar, use Debian.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hey evol, tell me about dnf. Anything I need to know or is it roughly 1:1 on concepts for average use?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

An annual physical and any associated bloodwork is free on my insurance. I think that's nice of them.

That's a PPACA requirement. Funny how insurance companies and employers blame everything (even unrelated stuff) on it, then take credit for things they are now forced to do.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

evol262 posted:

Nowhere. There aren't any "good crash courses" in what is an extremely complex topic.

In general, make sure apache is running as a different user, that CGI (or fpm, or whatever you're running php as) is also locked down. No password auth for ssh, only keys. Don't expose mysql ports (if you need access/replication from another system, whitelist them in iptables and drop everyone else). No crap like phpmyadmin. Use fail2ban. Update regularly.

Just did a dist-upgrade on my home server to Debian 8 and I'm translating my LSB scripts into service files right now. Is User=websrv enough to do this in a systemd service file? ExecStart=/usr/bin/node /home/websrv/bundle/main.js

I see the process running as websrv so I'm assuming this is working correctly, just wanted to make sure it's best practice for security or what have you as I learn the OS.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Work from home day. My helpers are happy.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

NPR did a story on yearly physicals recently. Basically they said the benefits of doctors getting to know their patients and checking on them is outweighed by the false positives created from testing like blood work. Essentially if you're under 40 and in good health dont bother unless you want to talk to your doctor about something.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I need to scan my server subnets to find out what versions and quantities of Windows Server we have running. Anyone know of any free tools that can do this? I have probably 90% accounted for because VMware will tell me, but I've tried the trial of LanDesk and it only differentiates between Server 2003 and XP, with the rest being just Windows Server.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bhodi posted:

Hey evol, tell me about dnf. Anything I need to know or is it roughly 1:1 on concepts for average use?

It's basically 1:1 on concepts, but it uses libsolv (the same same bit used by suse) instead. It's much, much, much faster. Not all the functionality of yum is implemented (in particular, I'm not certain if traditional satellite/rhn classic entitlements work with DNF, though that's a non-issue until RHEL8), but 99% of the stuff you'll use is there and uses exactly the same flags. dnf is basically a 300% faster drop-in replacement for most users.

Roargasm posted:

Just did a dist-upgrade on my home server to Debian 8 and I'm translating my LSB scripts into service files right now. Is User=websrv enough to do this in a systemd service file? ExecStart=/usr/bin/node /home/websrv/bundle/main.js

I see the process running as websrv so I'm assuming this is working correctly, just wanted to make sure it's best practice for security or what have you as I learn the OS.

user=websrv is enough, though I should note that systemd transparently converts sysv/lsb scripts into service files you can call with systemctl. Unless you really feel like rewriting them to simplify all the cond-restart/start/reload crap, there's no reason to.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

mayodreams posted:

I need to scan my server subnets to find out what versions and quantities of Windows Server we have running. Anyone know of any free tools that can do this? I have probably 90% accounted for because VMware will tell me, but I've tried the trial of LanDesk and it only differentiates between Server 2003 and XP, with the rest being just Windows Server.

You can do this in Powershell with WMI. I think the class is win32_operatingsystem or something, a quick google should be able to tell you - make sure that when you grab the object though you examine the 'caption' property, IIRC, unless you want to try and decipher hundreds of instances of "Windows 5.3.8.44.344882" and poo poo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mayodreams posted:

It shocks me that people still don't know about pdq inventory.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

mayodreams posted:

A simple PowerShell script: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/0592f4f0-629f-42c7-a985-2da6a081a6fe/view/Discussions

(I am not the author)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
If you have AD, you could also grab the OS from the computer accounts via a query. Though Powershell is the better option.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

gently caress all that noise. Use PDQ Inventory or AD Info Free.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BaseballPCHiker posted:

NPR did a story on yearly physicals recently. Basically they said the benefits of doctors getting to know their patients and checking on them is outweighed by the false positives created from testing like blood work. Essentially if you're under 40 and in good health dont bother unless you want to talk to your doctor about something.

I've never had to do stuff like bloodwork at a yearly physical to be honest.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

In my (somewhat brief) stint as a junior sysadmin for a windows shop, I tried to powershell-ise as much of my job duties as possible. It doesn't necessarily apply to this situation specifically but my goal was to keep everything code-driven as much as possible because it increases consistency and functions as running documentation -- there is no question as to how a task is completed when you can pull up task.ps1 (actually, it was in a module so it was get-help do-task) and look at the source.

Pretty much every job duty I had was in powershell and I spent a good 80% of my day in the ISE, so downloading a third party utility wasn't really an option. Having functions for everything I did encouraged me to approach problems in a manner that made codifying them easier and allowed me to react to the possible outcomes automatically and without too much extra work. Stuff like "is x part of the application running properly?" instead of being a line item on a checklist is a cmdlet in a module, and "if this stops working, check the logs for blah blah, then do blah and restart the services" became automatic tasks that I got an email about when they occurred. I definitely feel like it created a positive feedback loop in that the more tasks I automated or turned into cmdlets, the more time I had available to do the same for others. I don't work there anymore, but my boss has informed me that the "Jr" position doesn't really exist anymore because all the grunt work has been automated, they just have regular sysadmins and the desktop support (which, unfortunately, is not automatable) goes to whoever is least busy.

Granted - that doesn't really matter or apply to "I just need to count our OS versions", but IMO if the option exists to have the data you need be contained in a language that your infrastructure can gather, evaluate, and respond to automatically or be something that you copy paste from an application window into an email... you should go with the former whenever possible. I had this same task and while OS version is probably the least useful bit of info to have in powershell (it doesn't change very often), the task quickly ballooned into a remote "get info from machine" cmdlet which is currently used to automatically update the server inventory checklist with info from the BIOS, tag numbers, and all kinds of other poo poo that they used to fill out manually.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 1, 2015

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's a PPACA requirement. Funny how insurance companies and employers blame everything (even unrelated stuff) on it, then take credit for things they are now forced to do.
Came to say this. If you have a co-pay for a straight-up physical, your doctor's staff is coding it incorrectly. Preventive office visits are supposed to be 100% covered with no co-pay by all plans.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

I've never bought full systems from Supermicro, always just used their chassis/boards via vendors like Thinkmate. They worked well enough aside from all the usual fuckups on stuff like RMAs.

I've used two VAR's, buying over a 1000 Dual Twin or Single GPU systems, warranties were always handled next day and support was decent. We never had a box that was not warrantied, even for stupid user mistakes like snapped off USB ports. We had our production staff validate each box before imaging. It worked well. However, Dell will match as close as they can- with a better warranty and BIOS- IMO. It's not worth $300-500 over the life of the server to cheap out on SM gear for critical systems. HPC, sure- great use case for them. Disposable, cheap commodity hardware. Large amount of archival storage? Same. And this is coming from someone who just built out ~2PB of SM based ZFS storage.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Thanks for the recommendations . Not all of our servers are in AD as they are legacy standalone or have a Novell client installed on them. Looks like PDQ is going to work for the most part.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty nervous, on the 11th I'll be starting a new job (and my first job in the IT field - been looking to make the change). Its kind of a mix of helpdesk (setting up users, etc) and going through tickets to recreate issues with the company's software to pass up to engineering. I've tried to prepare myself as much as I can. I've got a Windows Server cert so I'm familiar with Active Directory, I've tried to familiarize myself with JIRA, SQL (since I know they use some SQL commands), and ITIL/ITSM stuff. I guess I'm just worried I can't hack it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Eonwe posted:

I'm pretty nervous, on the 11th I'll be starting a new job (and my first job in the IT field - been looking to make the change). Its kind of a mix of helpdesk (setting up users, etc) and going through tickets to recreate issues with the company's software to pass up to engineering. I've tried to prepare myself as much as I can. I've got a Windows Server cert so I'm familiar with Active Directory, I've tried to familiarize myself with JIRA, SQL (since I know they use some SQL commands), and ITIL/ITSM stuff. I guess I'm just worried I can't hack it.

Just remember to be friendly on the phone, ask questions if you're unsure (unless you get that "we REALLY hate questions" vibe), and use critical thinking to troubleshoot (what else can be going wrong? Has X ever worked? What's changed?).

Welcome to hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Luckily its almost primarily ticket support (recreating the issues). Apparently on average they take around 5 phone calls a person a week.

But otherwise, glad to be with you in hell.