Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Robot owns. Looks like the big giant from the cartoon movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

hooman posted:

This was my instant thought, however there is a big difference in the chunkiness of the arms and legs.

The problems I have with it are the large flat oval plates, the narrowness of the joints relative to the size of the things they are attached to and the fact that it looks goofy as gently caress. It's not a model I would want to buy, or want to paint, or want to display. It looks like someone bought a bargain bin toy store model and put a great paint job on it.

I definitely don't think it fits with the established aesthetic of the Skitarii, but I think it looks good in the context of the FW AdMech aesthetic.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
That review on boardgame geek isn't 100% negative.

It says the miniatures are complicated for beginners, there is quite limited repeatability, and there is randomness from rolling D6s in limited numbers.

But it wasn't a devastatingly bad review from someone who hasn't played the game yet.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

S.J. posted:

I definitely don't think it fits with the established aesthetic of the Skitarii, but I think it looks good in the context of the FW AdMech aesthetic.

I think it's actually fitting that there isn't a single consistent Admech aesthetic. They're the mad scientist faction, so it makes sense for them to have all sorts of weird poo poo.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

PeterWeller posted:

I think it's actually fitting that there isn't a single consistent Admech aesthetic. They're the mad scientist faction, so it makes sense for them to have all sorts of weird poo poo.

Implying that GW actually thought about Admech having an diverse bunch of designs and didn't just have a design document that says 'ROBITS???'

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

What the gently caress are these. How do they walk? "Beware the Imperiums terrifying shuffling drill armour guys!"

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Don't forget the Dreadknight Baby Carrier:

AHahahahaahaha, W40k what did they do to you?

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 1, 2015

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
That my son, is a space marine inside a space marine.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Joe_Richter posted:

That my son, is a space marine inside a space marine.

I thought Terminators were supposed to be the ultimate holy armour that only the best of the best got to wear. Wasn't there a fluff piece where a terminator got stood on by a titan and he walked away afterwards?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcYrTCGKyrU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Phrosphor posted:

I thought Terminators were supposed to be the ultimate holy armour that only the best of the best got to wear. Wasn't there a fluff piece where a terminator got stood on by a titan and he walked away afterwards?

But you see the Imperium, after millenia of stagnation, is now developing untold numbers of new space marine vehicles and power armour because *farrrrrrrrrrrrrrt*

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

MikeCrotch posted:

But you see the Imperium, after millenia of stagnation, is now developing untold numbers of new space marine vehicles and power armour because *farrrrrrrrrrrrrrt*

This is why I want to see another Space Marine codex, just to see what stupid thing they make up next. They've got to run out of stuff to do eventually, right?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Crackbone posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1362654/assassinorum-execution-force-initial-impressions

Highlights:

Game board is not modular

Cardstock is poo poo and most don't have artwork

Game only has one scenario

The review says the enemy AI is worse than D&D adventure games (which is a really low bar to start with)

AI is apparently so ambiguous in some cases you have to guess what the models should do

D6s for everything

For :10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux: they could put in the effort that the laziest kickstarter does but whatever. The people that buy their models still I don't try to understand but I really don't get the players that buy these since GW gave up any sort of authority in that area twenty years ago but charge $40 more than even "premium" board games like Decent or Imperial Assault. Who the hell is buying that, it's straight up insulting to anyone that plays modern board games? I would have thought they'd have learned their lesson after Dread Fleet flopped. I guess they assume their fans only play the highest quality board games produced by Games Workshop and just sit around for five years in between releases.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 1, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Springfield Fatts posted:

why does the bad GW robutt have his vox thing where an actual mouth would be? like that speaker could go anywhere, like around the crotch at ear level to human height. I thought robutts were illegal in 40k which is why only the mechanicus of 30k had them and every thing in 40k is creepy zombie servitor poo poo like arco-flagellants.

It's specifically Artificial Intelligence that is illegal, although because of the Iron Men it is especially illegal when combined with robots. But seeing as the Mechanicus ensure they are the only ones with the ability to examine and determine what is and isn't ok, what this actually means is that they try to make sure everyone else is stuck with sharpened stones and slings and they have all the sweet technology for themselves. Like if you think that the Castellan robot is illegal, who are you going to complain to? That's right, you're going to shut your mouth and be grateful that the Mechanicus keep the life support on your ship circulating.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ashcans posted:

It's specifically Artificial Intelligence that is illegal, although because of the Iron Men it is especially illegal when combined with robots. But seeing as the Mechanicus ensure they are the only ones with the ability to examine and determine what is and isn't ok, what this actually means is that they try to make sure everyone else is stuck with sharpened stones and slings and they have all the sweet technology for themselves. Like if you think that the Castellan robot is illegal, who are you going to complain to? That's right, you're going to shut your mouth and be grateful that the Mechanicus keep the life support on your ship circulating.

I'd love to play a 40k game where you play a bunch of mad, corrupt AdMech guys trying to do the shadiest poo poo possible on your ship, so you have to keep coming up with inventive ways to dispose of all the Inquisitors that come knocking.

"Welcome aboard our ForgeShip Inquisitor Fucksenstein! Yes, we all wear respirators all the time here, even AdMech have fashion haha! Oh you have a respirator too? Give that to my aide, we will upgrade it for you! No, no, it's the least we can do, I insist. We'll get it back to you before you leave. Why are there big red buttons saying 'VENT ATMOSPHERE' everywhere? Oh you get a lot of dangerous gases on the ship, we have to think of safety, of course!"

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Phrosphor posted:

What the gently caress are these. How do they walk? "Beware the Imperiums terrifying shuffling drill armour guys!"

Jesus christ, do people just automatically assume anything they can't see is a solid piece of unmoving metal? It's armor layered on top of joints, and slides against itself as they move. There's even a separate piece in the kit that's the inner joints by itself. It's fine if you don't like how it looks, but people are just willingly dense about these things. And it bugs me, because I'm the rear end in a top hat who actually likes them, but can't justify ever buying them at their price.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Phrosphor posted:

The drills double as rollers and they place their arms on the ground and roll forward. I'm sure there's been a vidya game boss that does it so pretend I posted a vid of that here

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Frontlinegaming's Reese who helps run the ITC and Las Vegas Open put out a 250 dollar cash money bet that people could not beat his Eldar Army. I just thought it was interesting as some of the games he completely clowns the other player and even against super powerful armies he's won so far.

Anyway they're interesting games they got on them all on their Twitch feed so you can go watch them.

http://www.twitch.tv/frontlinegaming_tv/v/4520950

Anyway I thought it was interesting.

If you can get to I think San Diego (San Fran?), you can take the challenge to win the 250 bucks.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 1, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

The drills double as rollers and they place their arms on the ground and roll forward. I'm sure there's been a vidya game boss that does it so pretend I posted a vid of that here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2PGKEA-zrM

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm way more aesthetically offended by the gigantic underslung norelco shavers on the assault centurions than I am any detail of the armor itself. The armor itself I can take or leave. Yeah it's silly that space marines get entirely new units without the timeline moving forward but eh, if the box was 30 bucks instead of 80 or whatever it is, then I could give GW a pass.

Radish posted:

For :10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux: they could put in the effort that the laziest kickstarter does but whatever. The people that buy their models still I don't try to understand but I really don't get the players that buy these since GW gave up any sort of authority in that area twenty years ago but charge $40 more than even "premium" board games like Decent or Imperial Assault. Who the hell is buying that, it's straight up insulting to anyone that plays modern board games? I would have thought they'd have learned their lesson after Dread Fleet flopped. I guess they assume their fans only play the highest quality board games produced by Games Workshop and just sit around for five years in between releases.

There's so little effort put into making it a board game because they know so few people are going to buy it primarily as a board game. I have absolutely no idea why they feel the need to wrap up the new assassin models in the facade of a standalone game when it doesn't actually make them any more money than they would get by selling the assassins in individual blisters for the presumptive $30 price point. Maybe they're worried that some customers might only buy one or two of the assassins if they could do that instead of buying the whole set. People still will do this, except from ebay sellers parting it out

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is this fixing a price so eBay resellers can't undercut individual assassins MSRP? They're already sticking then with other components absolutely nobody wants.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Whenever I happen to come across a shop with a friend who's never played or bought Warhammer models before, I like to play a game and ask them how much they think certain models cost. I always win cuz I get to see how big their eyes get.

It's also a good way to see what people should be wiling to pay for things from the eyes of people who haven't been surrounded and biased by the high prices. So far everyone I've asked about the Bastilodon said $20-25 on first glance so I'm going to wait until it hits that spot before buying.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Show him the Tyranid Line! I was just browsing them because of the great ideas a bunch of people gave me in this thread that every one of my models is now redundant. They're.... pretty high.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

serious gaylord posted:

I'll share a conversation I had with my brother in law about this.

The Blood Angel white dwarf with the Sanguinor painting guide. I flicked through that and decided I wanted to have a go at doing it. But since it was going to be the best thing I'd ever painted I wanted to do it properly, really have a go at it. So I bought the white dwarf, The Sanguinor, a scenic base pack and some extra big bases, plus a box of Sanguinary guard to practice on and every paint that I didn't already have from the guide.

That one model was painted so well, coupled with the step by step got GW £80 ish pounds from me because of how aspirational it is.

Compared to the new painting guides, well I don't buy white dwarf anymore so that probably says enough but if they'd have done something similar with say, Nagash, I probably would have bought one to have a go at. But they didn't, so I didn't buy one.

I think GW have switched their focus too much towards the beginner. Its not a good business decision since it cuts people like myself out.

:eyepop:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Chill la Chill posted:

Whenever I happen to come across a shop with a friend who's never played or bought Warhammer models before, I like to play a game and ask them how much they think certain models cost. I always win cuz I get to see how big their eyes get.

It's also a good way to see what people should be wiling to pay for things from the eyes of people who haven't been surrounded and biased by the high prices. So far everyone I've asked about the Bastilodon said $20-25 on first glance so I'm going to wait until it hits that spot before buying.

I was going to check to see how much it actually costs but for some reason every time I visit the GW site it gives me prices in pounds and I don't care enough to fix it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

If their prices and strategies are even cutting Serious Gaylord out, they're in bigger trouble than we realised

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

If their prices and strategies are even cutting Serious Gaylord out, they're in bigger trouble than we realised

Indeed, one could say GW is approaching a real-life "End Times" of their own :smug:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

In all seriousness, serious gaylord is an inveterate GW defender for sure, but he doesn't seem like he fits the profile of their core whales. Unless he has a massive collecting and modeling hobby that doesn't show on SA, he seems like he basically just buys the latest Primarch every few months. It's actually a pretty sane way to approach GW products, if one must.

If they ever lose Ghost Hand, that's when you'll know that it's all coming down.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JerryLee posted:

In all seriousness, serious gaylord is an inveterate GW defender for sure, but he doesn't seem like he fits the profile of their core whales. Unless he has a massive collecting and modeling hobby that doesn't show on SA, he seems like he basically just buys the latest Primarch every few months. It's actually a pretty sane way to approach GW products, if one must.

If they ever lose Ghost Hand, that's when you'll know that it's all coming down.

Also he's not paying retail price for those models. And yeah, his argument is invalid unless he's some insane aberration of a "good" painter. We don't need things like White Dwarfs to have world class paint jobs in them, they should be accessible because that's the kind of approach that gets people into the hobby. Just look at the old good painting tutorials they used to do that would be done by some guy from the mail room and featured totally acceptable TTQ models. If I want to get "good" painting stuff I sure as hell won't get it from loving GW who promote basic paint by numbers ways to paint miniatures. I get Fantasy Dimension and Panzer Aces for that kind of stuff.

I'm not saying they should get rid of everything, but I honestly prefer the old WD's from the 90's when they used to have battle reports featuring peoples actual armies they painted themselves because even if GW's reps are rigged as hell they were still much more "real" representations of the hobby than two studio armies fighting each other (the couple issue long "Little War" WHFB 6th Ed campaign they did in the mid 00's is a good example, as is the Folly of Prince Roderick scenario they play around the Lustria Release).

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

And yeah, his argument is invalid unless he's some insane aberration of a "good" painter.

To Gaylord's credit, he's an insanely good painter. Some of his stuff even got highlighted on the GW website IIRC.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I have nothing but respect for gaylord's hobbyist credentials. If anything I'm surprised he needed to follow a WD guide, though now that I think about it, this is being presented as though it were some time ago, which would explain it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Business Gorillas posted:

To Gaylord's credit, he's an insanely good painter. Some of his stuff even got highlighted on the GW website IIRC.

Oh no, he's a perfectly great painter, but what I was saying is that if you're as good as he is the last people you should be listening to are GW, you should be getting your stuff from people like Mike Blank and other actual real artists who can teach you about stuff that normal miniatures painting tutorials tend to skip or not acknowledge.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

JerryLee posted:

I have nothing but respect for gaylord's hobbyist credentials. If anything I'm surprised he needed to follow a WD guide, though now that I think about it, this is being presented as though it were some time ago, which would explain it.

IIRC, it would have been 2009-ish? I forget exactly when the BA codex that introduced the Sanguinor was released, but I'm pretty sure it was around then. I remember in 2010 that I bought both the codex (for $10, from a local game store's "moving to new location" sale) and that particular WD that SG mentioned (because I was a massive BA fan at the time and wanted the lowdown on the then-recently-released BA kits).

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
He's talking about the old Eavy metal masterclass articles. For people who can do TTQ but want to progress to being 'good' painters.

Warhammer Visions would be the perfect place to put that. Can anyone tell me if they do because I don't buy it same as everyone else.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Oh no, he's a perfectly great painter, but what I was saying is that if you're as good as he is the last people you should be listening to are GW, you should be getting your stuff from people like Mike Blank and other actual real artists who can teach you about stuff that normal miniatures painting tutorials tend to skip or not acknowledge.

I only got as good as I am because that article made me want to try NMM, which meant I had to learn how glazes worked, how to edge highlight properly and how to blend. Which then pushed me to learn more new techniques and is the single reason I paint to the level I do now. Without that article, I probably would have just kept doing what I was already doing.

Back in the day, White Dwarf had beginner painting articles, middle ground ones that benefited everyone and the occasional Eavy Metal masterclass. My point was that very good article got GW a bunch of money from me that I wouldn't have given them otherwise, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. Their reluctance to cater to that market any more is a massive mistake.

Thundercloud posted:

He's talking about the old Eavy metal masterclass articles. For people who can do TTQ but want to progress to being 'good' painters.

Warhammer Visions would be the perfect place to put that. Can anyone tell me if they do because I don't buy it same as everyone else.

Warhammer visions is utter garbage. They've 'relaunched' it this month since it was so bad. Back to being normal sized and apparently will have some actual content in it now instead of just pictures of the previous months releases.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

He does have a point, too. If GW wants to cater to a specialized audience of model buyers, then they should do that. What they're actually doing is sending mixed messages by doing a strategy that's designed to make painting easier to get into by newer players while also jacking up the price of their game far beyond the reach of new players while also cutting out or downsizing on elements that do attract that more specialized audience. Forget the company not knowing what the arms are doing, I'm pretty sure the right arm doesn't even speak English and the left is seeing someone else by now.

Of course, there's another factor beyond just making newer players feel more welcome. Painted armies in play are an incredible advertisement, straight up. A sea of painted space marine models in a unified scheme against a battery of colourful eldar figures which are still recognizably all the same faction thanks to the strength of their silhouette and aesthetic design will get players hooked faster than anything. But a lot of armies you see are a sea of grey plastic. Even a moderately well painted army is a better sell than that. Get more people painting, and you theoretically get more people wanting to play. It's working really great for FFG, because any person playing X-wing is showing off the game's models painted to a high standard and spectators aren't left watching the grey Rebels fighting the blackprimed Empire ever. But if GW is pursuing that, and I know they used to really be into this kind of this kind of direct player-to-player advertising and transmission of enthusiasm, they should probably start using coloured plastics instead of lowering their paint standards.

Also the paint scheme thing is especially dumb because for quite a while they made more money selling paint than models, but whatever. That's clearly shifted and so they're returning to the only trick they know; consolidate resources into 40k.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I like how pre-orders don't go up until the afternoon now. I wonder how much longer until their reluctance to let people know what's in the pipe reaches the point where they don't do preorders at all?

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
I have found the best way to sell product is to suprised customers. GW wisely knows it needs to minimize the toxic crowd that will unfairly badmouth them. For example, imagine if the Tyranids codex had been spoiled and the plebian masses wailed about illogical nerfs to every mainly used model months before people were allowed to buy the book and experience it firsthand? Haters would have cut into sales and prevented people from experiencing the sublime joy of a brand new Army of flying hive tyrants. Technically there is a build in the codex that is sorta competitive so it would have been outright slanderous lies to say the codex is a soulless cash grab that reeks of either greed or outright incompetence. I hope they don't spoil the new knights either so everyone will be overjoyed when they find the new knights are awesome and all the old knights are 50% more points and worse then their current incarnations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Soon new releases will be in unmarked boxes. Who knows what army got new models or a new codex this week? Buy the new Citadel Finebox to find out!

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Chill la Chill posted:

The Wife Litmus Test regarding prices. Note that the test subject was an avid 40k and sisters player in 2008-2010 and as such her knowledge of proper miniature prices is equivalent to that of a colonial American pioneer.
Test Results
Centurians 40$ (logic being a box of termites for 5 is 50)
Bastilodon 35$ ("that looks about like a dread so about that much")
Basilisk Seige Artillery Box 40$
Bloodthirster 50$ ("that's a pretty big model so it's probably a lot")
Post reveal of Actual Prices.
Imperial Knight 150$ ("it's a big stupid model. I bet it costs as much as a playstation")
Ogre War Chief 50$ ("I know you're trolling me but I am going this high because I bet you won't even put such rediculously numbers down.")

Due to results of this test I have been informed I can no longer buy GW products and am limited to privateer press or Mantic.

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

FrostyPox posted:

I like how pre-orders don't go up until the afternoon now. I wonder how much longer until their reluctance to let people know what's in the pipe reaches the point where they don't do preorders at all?

Wait have they moved from putting them up on Friday night?

• Locked thread