Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

rivetz posted:

Late, but I heard they'd broken up? They were replaced on the Psycho Fest bill by Bedemon (Pentagram offshoot).
They did, that's why it's really weird. Still nothing from the venue so I think they made it as a joke post (and maybe will be there as audience members?) or, as one commenter pointed out, it might have been a timed post that they forgot to cancel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

nonazis posted:

Ok, is the whole satanistic theme of some bands in these genres ironic, or are these people actually satanists?

Most modern doom bands aren't at all, but there are dudes in black and death metal who are completely serious. 'Satanism' is a pretty broad term though, because it includes church of satan type stuff as well as theistic satanism and other related occult organisations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
yeah, while occult & satanic imagery are still a pretty common motif in doom metal and i think bands used to be more serious about them. band like electric wizard, reverend bizzarre and cathedral for example have loads of satanic lyrics and imagery.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That's why Satan Worshipping Doom works so well, they clearly don't take any of that stuff seriously but it was an excuse for some loving rad as hell artwork. They struck a really good balance with amazing riffs and a tongue-in-cheek motif.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
well, to each their own. personally i'm not a fan of their music or their ironic approach to doom.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Excuse me, are you disagreeing with me, on an Internet forum?

Oh, I booked tickets for Earthless which is coming up a few days before Temples festival. I can't believe I'm finally getting to see them, they're one of the few bands left on my must-see list. I've played their LPs so so many times. I really like this live set, great sound and visuals for a live vid.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
heh, i am!

most of my friends love them though, so it's probably just me.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I think the real question is whether or not Goatsnake is made of up Confederate sympathizers or....?

edit: and does Ahab actually hate white whales?

I don't mean to come off as making light of the "are they satanists?" question. It's just such a pervasive motif in metal music, in most cases the bands that commit to keeping up the facade, be it real or just an act, are far and few between.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 2, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
iirc that was a tapestry they found for sale in mexico.

i just think that going with established cliches even tho you don't really care about them is lame. bongripper (and that goblin cock band by that whiny indie rock dude) to me seems to be a prime example of bands that started playing just to be a part of the doom boom bandwagon, with their generic riffs and their album and song names that basically just make fun of doom metal.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 2, 2015

mother spacelord
Apr 25, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

i just think that going with established cliches even tho you don't really care about them is lame. bongripper (and that goblin cock band by that whiny indie rock dude) to me seems to be a prime example of bands that started playing just to be a part of the doom boom bandwagon, with their generic riffs and their album and song names that basically just make fun of doom metal.

Yeah, It has nothing to do with doom and sludge just being way more fun to play live than straight death or grind. Its all about being trendy. God forbid bands playing poo poo they like while independently producing and publishing their own material.

Don't be that kind of fan. I like this forum because of the lack of traditional metal elitism. This music is about being huge and massive and friggin fun. Whats more fun than rockin out with the devil!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I don't really like Goblin Cock, heh, but Bongripper is legit musically. They have a thing going on that, regardless of it's presentation, has something worthwhile to say. As far as cliches go I don't know that I'd classify bands as not caring about the subject matter, from my perspective: the occult is to metal as space is to sci-fi. You don't have to use those themes to produce a good piece of art but much of the art in those genres involves those themes. The continued use of them, whether they be presented seriously, absurdly etc., is because artists find them to be a comfortable framing for the art they want to create which is mostly derivative interpretations of the original genre defining pieces anyway so...

I think Bongripper gets away with their over the top aspects by not having to deal with vocals/lyrics and so the actual music, in my opinion, subverts the somewhat comical approach to their presentation.

edit: Thanks for pointing out the Mexican tapestry Dyna Soar, I've always wondered what was going on there.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 2, 2015

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
gently caress OFF AND DIE:

Society, the monarchy, the pigs (loving bastards), politicians, the government, all holy denominations and followers of the "right-hand path". Moralistic bastards, the legal system, all oppressors and authority. All of the ignorant, narrow-minded, stupid humans who follow authorities without questioning. Love. All "pretend" Satanists, who give the ignorant lease to ridicule "true" Satanism. All bands who are "out to put what the people like". All the sad cunts who have turned underground music into pop-music full of cliches. All psychic vampires and scrounging wankers. All perpetrators of censorship. The Birmingham City Council and employment service.

Those that use drugs, Satanism or music as a scapegoat in order to hide the true cause of their actions - you are as weak as the Christians, you cannot fight for yourselves, so you cower in renunciation.

To those who would interfere with us, beware!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's from the sleeve notes of Esoteric's Epistemological Despondency.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

mother spacelord posted:

Yeah, It has nothing to do with doom and sludge just being way more fun to play live than straight death or grind. Its all about being trendy. God forbid bands playing poo poo they like while independently producing and publishing their own material.

Don't be that kind of fan. I like this forum because of the lack of traditional metal elitism. This music is about being huge and massive and friggin fun. Whats more fun than rockin out with the devil!

i don't think you really get this kind of music if you think it's just about having fun

that said i respect their DIY mentality, i know they're been at it for a lot longer than most bands and i'm not saying they're in it for anything else except that they love what they do. i just don't like their tongue in cheek attitude and i find their music boring. that just seems to be me though! feel free to like them, go to gigs and buy their albums.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 2, 2015

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
But how do we know their not just saying that?
I enjoy the specific call out of the The Birmingham City Council and employment service. That's some funny poo poo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

i don't think you really get this kind of music if you think it's just about having fun

Lots of stoner is though? Not every band is full of misanthropes on heroin.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

op's decision to lump these styles together, not mine.

that said, i think there's a difference with making music about having fun, smoking weed, drinking beer whatever to what bongripper are doing. they're basically making stoner/doom as by the book as possible, then giving their band as generic a name as possible, then naming their songs & albums with names as generic as possible. it just feels to me like they're not trying.

they're not nearly as bad as some bands, though. stoned jesus, gimme a break...

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 2, 2015

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
You've changed, thread. You used to be all about the music.

I wasn't after a serious discussion. Some bands are lighthearted, some bands take themselves super seriously and there's a lot of grey area in between, with lots of great music and lots of lovely music to go with it. I enjoy massive, great riffs and just thought Bongripper's aesthetic for that album was pretty on-the-mark but I think the fact that they're instrumental really lent to that because there's less room to turn themselves into a full-on parody, which UFO worded much better than I could.

Then again, I felt there was a lot less excitement for Bongripper at Roadburn this year compared with their previous years' performances, and I think that's because they can only take what they're doing so far. If they don't try some many new ideas on their next release I'll probably find it very hard to stay interested.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i haven't heard their latest, but my friends who went bonkers over satan worship doom whatever didn't like it that much. the general reaction seemed to be "meh".

i don't think they were expecting that kind of success with satan worship etc.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I like Bongripper but I think that Bong do the same gimmick better. Though musically they're more about drones than big riffs.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Yeah I mean Bong and Bongripper's music aren't similar at all

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

The combination of stoner rock with doom metal is largely responsible for a lot of watering down of doom metal, imo. Not just in terms of the subject matter(though that does seem to be the case) but musically. Like if you look at many of the modern stoner/doom bands with an emphasis on only ever playing really slow using the same kinds of riffs, older doom metal didn't do that, if you listen to Pentagram or something there's a lot more variety to the music.

Idioteque Dance posted:

I wasn't after a serious discussion.

Why not? I mean I don't think I've ever seen one of those in this thread before, so it might be a shock, but talking about music is what this forum is for.

big scary monsters posted:

I like Bongripper but I think that Bong do the same gimmick better. Though musically they're more about drones than big riffs.

They're totally different sounding though? Bong are basically drone/doom by way of like Hawkwind or something. I don't think you'd be comparing them at all if it wasn't for the names being similar. Even their imagery on covers etc is different, Bong are all about sci fi themed things.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This owns FYI.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

listened to that new Bell Witch album last night.. listening to the new Minsk album right now... two seriously epic journeys to experience

Dyna Soar posted:

pretty sure music created based solely on what feels awesome is fun to play/listen to

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Bongripper are legit dudes why is this even a question?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Dyno saur I really dont get your tastes but from what I can tell your just not into the dronier side of things. So please criticise actual unself aware bandwaggoners instead

goblin cock sucks

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 3, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Stravinsky posted:

Bongripper are legit dudes why is this even a question?

Seriously of all the bands you wanna pick this fight with they are like the last one that would make any sense

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

A human heart posted:

The combination of stoner rock with doom metal is largely responsible for a lot of watering down of doom metal, imo. Not just in terms of the subject matter(though that does seem to be the case) but musically. Like if you look at many of the modern stoner/doom bands with an emphasis on only ever playing really slow using the same kinds of riffs, older doom metal didn't do that, if you listen to Pentagram or something there's a lot more variety to the music.

Hence why there is the subgenre of traditional doom

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

A human heart posted:

They're totally different sounding though? Bong are basically drone/doom by way of like Hawkwind or something. I don't think you'd be comparing them at all if it wasn't for the names being similar. Even their imagery on covers etc is different, Bong are all about sci fi themed things.

I guess it wasn't clear but I was talking specifically about their poking fun at the stoner/doom band stereotype while also embracing it, not their music. I mean, Bong's last album is called Stoner Rock and consists of two half hour long drone tracks.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Stravinsky posted:

Dyno saur I really dont get your tastes but from what I can tell your just not into the dronier side of things. So please criticise actual unself aware bandwaggoners instead

goblin cock sucks

hah, it would be easy to dismiss me like that, wouldn't it? i'm just not into their style of music. it aint true though, i like plenty of bands similar, from warhorse to buried at sea to dopesmoker (i own three copies, heh). i just think that apart from their sound, which is admittedly massive, they're a boring band. take a generic riff, play it to death and repeat for 4 albums.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

heh, i am!

most of my friends love them though, so it's probably just me.

I always thought Bongripper was a bit overrated until I caught their second set at Roadburn this year. Holy wow. Been obsessed ever since.

e: the Miserable set was a bit of a snoozer though, that album is really underwhelming and it definitely wasn't loud enough.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 3, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Smh if you don't consider SWD a classic

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bongripper change up their riffs way more than most stoner doom bands and they're not particularly generic, at least on SWD and Hippie Killer. The latter is about as unique as the genre gets. "Reefer Sutherland" is like half post-rock

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Miserable is a turd of an album, but SWD is amazing. Nobody's "dismissing" you Dyna Soar, yours is just one opinion amongst others, it doesn't hold any special weight to it like you've come to believe.

(I agree with you on the Lysol thing though, bought the vinyl re-issue because Lysol is the best, particularly Hung Bunny.)

Snapes N Snapes fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 3, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
And then there's me who loves everything Bongripper has done and my favorite song might be Into Ruin.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

nosophoros posted:

Miserable is a turd of an album, but SWD is amazing. Nobody's "dismissing" you Dyna Soar, yours is just one opinion amongst others, it doesn't hold any special weight to it like you've come to believe.

well, by dismissing i meant posts like this (and also that little jab in the end of yours, hah):

Stravinsky posted:

Dyno saur I really dont get your tastes but from what I can tell your just not into the dronier side of things.

mother spacelord posted:

Don't be that kind of fan. I like this forum because of the lack of traditional metal elitism. This music is about being huge and massive and friggin fun.

totally sidestepping what i actually posted and trying to label me as a person. ppl could just post that they disagree with me without somehow trying to dismiss me based on what they perceive i am like as a person or what my taste in music is. but hey, this is SA, who am i kidding.

i don't believe my opinion holds any special weight, and i'm sorry if my posts come off as arrogant. english isn't my first language, so sometimes while writing i am oblivious to the tone of what i write, maybe until i read it a few days later hah. i have listened to this sort of music for around 15 years and played in a sludge / doom band for over half that. i have done a bit too much of thinking and analysing this poo poo, probably too much for my own good.

Stravinsky posted:

(I agree with you on the Lysol thing though, bought the vinyl re-issue because Lysol is the best, particularly Hung Bunny.)

melvins are amazing, always pushing boundaries and never staying in the same place for too long, but still sounding like no one else but themselves. i've enjoyed some of their recent output and whats best, there's a lot of stuff i haven't even listened to yet. and to think they made awesome poo poo like ozma, gluey porch treatments and lysol more than two decades ago!

speaking or warhorse, everyone grab this before it sells out. high point of doom metal in the 00's in my opinion.

https://www.emeticrecords.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=WAR-AHTA-LP

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 3, 2015

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Idioteque Dance posted:

That's why Satan Worshipping Doom works so well, they clearly don't take any of that stuff seriously but it was an excuse for some loving rad as hell artwork. They struck a really good balance with amazing riffs and a tongue-in-cheek motif.

Most money I ever paid for a vinyl record was Satan Worshipping Doom. Zero regret.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I can't really remember what this argument was about any more because I've just listened to that Warhorse album and who the gently caress cares when there's great doom like this that I somehow haven't heard yet.
https://warhorsesl.bandcamp.com/releases

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Also I've said before that pre-I Shall Die Here The Body didn't really appeal to me but I've been listening to their back catalogue a little again and it's starting to make sense to me. All the Waters of the Earth Turn to Blood is certainly something. Might be because I've been listening to a lot of Swans recently, it's a different aesthetic but a familiar feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQn48GljntI
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO-TlWdsaIQDkGw_dqh_A9wmRWWBHhGzp

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Passion for Dilbert
Dec 5, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

Also I've said before that pre-I Shall Die Here The Body didn't really appeal to me but I've been listening to their back catalogue a little again and it's starting to make sense to me. All the Waters of the Earth Turn to Blood is certainly something. Might be because I've been listening to a lot of Swans recently, it's a different aesthetic but a familiar feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQn48GljntI
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO-TlWdsaIQDkGw_dqh_A9wmRWWBHhGzp

'Lathspell I Name You' is a monster of a song.