Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

bearic posted:

Yeah I loved his stuff, and he had some fascinating stories the last time he appeared. How the hell does that guy have inside info.

He started covering LeBron when he worked for the Akron Beacon Journal when LeBron was in high school.

Windy is useless for actual hoops stuff but he's a good dude who knows his role and doesn't pretend to be something he isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm pretty sure Brian Windhort actually has a three-bedroom apartment built somewhere up the rectal cavity of one of LeBron's friends. It's incredible how one journalist can basically make his living off one player for so long. See: Gomez, Pedro

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

bearic posted:

Yeah I loved his stuff, and he had some fascinating stories the last time he appeared. How the hell does that guy have inside info.

When he did a podcast with Jason Whitlock he went into his history as a reporter (Whitlock is always great about getting a reporter's whole story and background info, no one else does it). Windhorst put in work early. He started reporting on sports full time I think his freshman year of college. He went to LeBron's first ever high school basketball game and I think he said he never missed one, driving however many hours to cover each one.

When I listened to that it really made me respect him a lot. He put more work into becoming a reporter than most people do at anything in their lives.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

they collective dick of Lebron's crew has been deep in his mouth for over a decade.

he literally accused lebron on ped use on the last one

They do feed him stuff but he also just straight up makes poo poo up. The stuff about Blatt was complete bullshit, they started running way more of his offense in the second half the year. A bunch of people who had seen Blatt coach in Europe noticed and commented on it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm pretty sure Brian Windhort actually has a three-bedroom apartment built somewhere up the rectal cavity of one of LeBron's friends. It's incredible how one journalist can basically make his living off one player for so long. See: Gomez, Pedro
Gomez is always hilarious to me because his literally made his career at ESPN because of Barry Bonds and now he is a very public crusader on the side of keeping Bonds out of the Hall forever. Then he gets all pissy when you remind him that Bonds made him, which will never not be funny.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

It terms of being a Lebron whisperer Windhorst is excellent. And considering Lebron is one of the most important athletes in the world, that's a pretty useful job, However whenever he deviates from anything beyond what Lebron had for breakfast he's terrible.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Probably better in this thread than the broadcasting one:

@MichelleDBeadle
I, along with @Rachel__Nichols, have been banned from the MGM Grand Arena for the fight tonight by the Mayweather camp. #TheFightGame

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
As Mayweather says, if you can't beat 'em, ban 'em

(and by 'em I mean women in general)

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

sba posted:

Probably better in this thread than the broadcasting one:

@MichelleDBeadle
I, along with @Rachel__Nichols, have been banned from the MGM Grand Arena for the fight tonight by the Mayweather camp. #TheFightGame

I honestly hope he dies in the ring tonight. He is such a loving piece of poo poo.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Context for this?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chunkles posted:

Context for this?

They were some of the more vocal people when it came to publicizing his long history of domestic violence, which had been swept under the rug for pretty much entire career until the lead up to this fight.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

How on earth can one camp just ban people from the fight? If they got tickets isn't the venue obligated to let them in?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ramadu posted:

How on earth can one camp just ban people from the fight? If they got tickets isn't the venue obligated to let them in?

They almost certainly do not have tickets and are trying to get in with media credentials. Vegas bends over backwards to protect Floyd because he's such an insanely big draw.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

WayAbvPar posted:

I honestly hope he dies in the ring tonight. He is such a loving piece of poo poo.

it'll be more fun to watch him bankrupt himself in five years and have everyone abandon him as he realizes everyone hates him and he's going to die alone and unremembered

martin rogers from usa today has written pieces critical of mayweather (this is a pretty great one) and was also denied credentials. so were deadspin but that's probably because no one wants to sit next to anyone they send

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 3, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ramadu posted:

The MGM Grand people are not going to let anything mess with this fight, clearly.

They probably had their media passes revoked or something like that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The MGM Grand people are not going to let anything mess with this fight, clearly.

They probably had their media passes revoked or something like that.

This is what happened, HBO got Beadle back in and I think she's there. Rachel Nichols was also supposedly given access after being jerked around forever, but she said screw it and went home.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think Nichols is freelance now, so she had no chance without someone backing her up.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think Nichols is freelance now, so she had no chance without someone backing her up.

she was there for CNN

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

the talent deficit posted:

it'll be more fun to watch him bankrupt himself in five years and have everyone abandon him as he realizes everyone hates him and he's going to die alone and unremembered

martin rogers from usa today has written pieces critical of mayweather (this is a pretty great one) and was also denied credentials. so were deadspin but that's probably because no one wants to sit next to anyone they send
Deadspin was going to loving send Hamilton Nolan.

I can't blame them for not letting him in.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGHAxbSEBZs

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Not exactly journalism, but how did this pass through however many layers of approval without someone going "uh...."?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh, hah, whoops, I meant that for the Broadcasting thread.

And yeah, no loving clue how anyone produces that and gets to the point where they actually air the thing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
That video is offensive. Not because of whatever Deadspin was trying to say about it promoting violence against women (that's a stretch), but because it is awkward and not even a little bit funny.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

That video is offensive. Not because of whatever Deadspin was trying to say about it promoting violence against women (that's a stretch), but because it is awkward and not even a little bit funny.

For what it's worth, this is a riff on an... I think OhioHealth commercial where a fat couple tries that DIrty Dancing move and crashes through a table.

e: United Healthare, apparently

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 7, 2015

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There's a pretty big difference between dropping your wife because she's fat and deliberately throwing her to the floor because you disagree about something.

Also she changes her opinion on something after the dude does it and the video is like "Yeah, NOW you get it!"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
https://twitter.com/NYTSports/status/596680975767175169

It finally happened. Simmons is leaving ESPN. RIP Grantland?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

zakharov posted:

https://twitter.com/NYTSports/status/596680975767175169

It finally happened. Simmons is leaving ESPN. RIP Grantland?

What a coup for Vox.com or whatever.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Here's the statement from John Skipper. They're obviously not going to just eliminate Grantland.

[quote="Old White Guy" post=""""]
“I decided today that we are not going to renew Bill Simmons’ contract. We have been in negotiations and it was clear it was time to move on. ESPN’s relationship with Bill has been mutually beneficial - he has produced great content for us for many years and ESPN has provided him many new opportunities to spread his wings. We wish Bill continued success as he plans his next chapter. ESPN remains committed to Grantland and we have a strong team in place.”
[/quote]

Also I'd guess Bleacher Report if anything. That allows him to maintain his current level of access to the NBA, on account of their association with TNT.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm not worried about them eliminating Grantland, I'm worried about them turning it into what Page 2 / Page 3 were.

I'm no fan of Simmons' written work or podcasts, but the work he's done cultivating Grantland and spearheading 30for30 was probably the best content ESPN's produced in... the last 15-20 years?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Blast Fantasto posted:

Here's the statement from John Skipper. They're obviously not going to just eliminate Grantland.

Great news for everyone at Grantland: time to meet your new boss, Jason Whitlock!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

John Skipper posted:

It long ago went from being a Bill Simmons site to one that can stand on its own.

drat haha

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah the issue moving forward is, will the content stay good? Or will they just kind of shrug the whole thing off until it eventually falls apart.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
He's obviously been a great recruiter and editorial leader. It's hard to imagine someone like Zach Lowe getting to be a lead basketball writer on any other ESPN property.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This is just like in Shortcircuit where the military accidentally created something amazing in Johnny V then spent ages trying to track down and destroy him as he went around doing amazing things.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Kalli posted:

This is just like in Shortcircuit where the military accidentally created something amazing in Johnny V then spent ages trying to track down and destroy him as he went around doing amazing things.

So what you're saying is Bill Simmons is going to get an amazing mohawk and a grappling hook to go fight bad guys.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
I really hope they try to morph Grantland into Whitlock's site because it's such a terrible idea.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Even if they nominally keep Grantland around it's hard to see it surviving in it's current form. He was the biggest draw by far, it's hard to see them investing a lot in it without that. And even though he was probably the worst writer on the site, he clearly did a good job running the place and finding talenting people, so that will be missed.

Blast Fantasto posted:

He's obviously been a great recruiter and editorial leader. It's hard to imagine someone like Zach Lowe getting to be a lead basketball writer on any other ESPN property.

He was one of the lead basketball writers at Sports loving Illustrated. Bill did a lot of good stuff with Grantland but he did not discover Zach Lowe. Lowe already had a big platform and was very well regarded.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 8, 2015

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Muddy Burphy posted:

I really hope they try to morph Grantland into Whitlock's site because it's such a terrible idea.

It's such a terrible idea for those directly involved, but it's a hilarious idea for all observers.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Ewing Theory would dictate that Grantland is about to enter a golden age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Great White Hope posted:

So what you're saying is Bill Simmons is going to get an amazing mohawk and a grappling hook to go fight bad guys.

He's going to kick your balls into outer space