Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I just hope John Hurt comes as a surprise to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm still astonished at how her appearance in Asylum of the Daleks was kept out of wide spoilage even after the New York screening simply because Matt Smith asked nicely.

Not long until he gets to the 50th now. And Night of the Doctor!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mortanis posted:

And Night of the Doctor!

...is going to mean nothing to him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MikeJF posted:

I imagine he'll recognize McGann as the guy who pops up sometimes in those scenes where the Doctor's past faces are revealed, but yeah there'll be zero emotional attachment there.

The John Hurt stuff will be really interesting because I'm wondering if he'll be confused or not whether John Hurt ever actually was involved in the old show (probably not).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I honestly had no clue who John Hurt was before everyone was gabbing about him for Who. I still don't really know. I look at his filmography and I've seen him a couple of times I guess. But mostly because of ancillary roles like "narrator in the Tigger movie" or "the wand shop dude in the first Harry Potter movie".

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My wife had no idea who John Hurt was til the 50th, and loved The War Doctor so much, she has gone out of her way to watch a lot of his filmography. I have no problem with this.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

MikeJF posted:

That's why I'd like a review - a somewhat objective view of someone that's never been involved with Classic Who or Big Finish. It'd be interesting.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mortanis posted:

That's why I'd like a review - a somewhat objective view of someone that's never been involved with Classic Who or Big Finish. It'd be interesting.

Just go back and read his "School Reunion" review, then.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Ah, hell. I'd forgotten about that one. Maybe he...

Yeah, it's a bad idea. Can't wait to see what he thinks about all the Claras though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jsor posted:

I honestly had no clue who John Hurt was before everyone was gabbing about him for Who. I still don't really know. I look at his filmography and I've seen him a couple of times I guess. But mostly because of ancillary roles like "narrator in the Tigger movie" or "the wand shop dude in the first Harry Potter movie".

Hurt's been in some utterly fantastic films, which you should check out. Also, you've never seen Alien?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

The_Doctor posted:

Hurt's been in some utterly fantastic films, which you should check out. Also, you've never seen Alien?

I have not. Nor 1984 (I read the book...).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jsor posted:

I've never seen 1984 either, though I understand it's not great (and, of course, the book is amazing). You should definitely check out Alien though, and if you're into something a little more dramatic, The Elephant Man.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also I, Claudius if you want to see Hurt (and a bunch of other famous, talented British actors).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh absolutely, his Caligula is incredible.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Every time apple release a new device or service, I hope against hope that it'll be called the iClavdivs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Every time apple release a new device or service, I hope against hope that it'll be called the iClavdivs.

It keeps getting delayed because they haven't been able to fix the stuttering issues.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jsor posted:

The 1984 film with John Hurt and Richard Burton is absolutely exceptional

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My brother hadn't heard of John Hurt and thought "John Hurt" was the Doctor's real name. :v:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

My brother hadn't heard of John Hurt and thought "John Hurt" was the Doctor's real name. :v:

It does sound plausible, I'll give it that.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I thought Toxx already watched the TV movie at some point before he started the thread. So he'll know who McGann is.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also I, Claudius if you want to see Hurt (and a bunch of other famous, talented British actors).

Like the Master, Derek Jacobi.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
And Yrcanos, playing the wise Augustus.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Just watch Dead Man, it will your quota of "never seen" for John Hurt, Robert Mitchum, Alfred Molina, Gabriel Byrne, and Iggy Pop In A Dress.

If you haven't seen anything with Billy Bob Thornton, Crispin Glover, or Lance Henriksen, then you've got much larger problems.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Big Finish is doing Torchwood.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/594928453507555328

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Return of the Cyberwoman! Finally!

Nice way to get Captain Jack back, without having to explain why he is getting older though. The idea of Torchwood wasn't inherently retarded, I hope they do something good with it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well hell, now I'm going to have to actually watch it, aren't I?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Here's the story

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/torchwood

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Hell yeah!

The Synopsis:

Captain Jack [REDACTED] has always had his suspicions about [REDACTED]. And
now [REDACTED] is also [REDACTED] about [REDACTED] . Apparently the world
really is under the control of [REDACTED] . That's what [REDACTED] says.
[REDACTED] have died, disasters have been [REDACTED] , the [REDACTED] have
disappeared.
It's outrageous. Only [REDACTED] knows that [REDACTED] is right.
[REDACTED] has arrived.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

adhuin posted:

Hell yeah!

The Synopsis:

Captain Jack [REDACTED] has always had his suspicions about [REDACTED]. And
now [REDACTED] is also [REDACTED] about [REDACTED] . Apparently the world
really is under the control of [REDACTED] . That's what [REDACTED] says.
[REDACTED] have died, disasters have been [REDACTED] , the [REDACTED] have
disappeared.
It's outrageous. Only [REDACTED] knows that [REDACTED] is right.
[REDACTED] has arrived.

It looks like the writer also did part of series 5 and series 7 for Gallifrey. I haven't heard either yet, but it might give us an idea of the quality.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
What's up with Gallifrey season 1-3 being CD only?
I wouldn't mind listening for more Leela, but I don't want CD-clutter either.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

adhuin posted:

What's up with Gallifrey season 1-3 being CD only?
I wouldn't mind listening for more Leela, but I don't want CD-clutter either.

They didn't do downloads back then, so now it's a long slog to get all everyone to sign off on contracts to allow them to be sold as downloads.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Torchwood is more bad than good but I'm interested in what Big Finish can do with it. Always down for more BARROWMAN! :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

Just watch Dead Man

This is good life advice.

Bicyclops posted:

Well hell, now I'm going to have to actually watch it (Torchwood), aren't I?

This is bad life advice.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Angela Christine posted:

Return of the Cyberwoman! Finally!

Nice way to get Captain Jack back, without having to explain why he is getting older though. The idea of Torchwood wasn't inherently retarded, I hope they do something good with it.

"At Big Finish we've decided to carry on the level of quality found in the show. So coming soon to Big Finish Productions; John Barrowman is Captain Jack Harkness in, Torchwood: Cum of the Daleks."

In all seriousness, I hope they do well with it, or at least less awfully than the actual show was. Or make it as entertainly bad as the show, I'm quite happy with all eventualities. :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In our first story, John Frobisher has mysteriously returned to life but with no memory of the events of Children of Earth. Kept inside the Torchwood Institute by Captain Jack, the confused man has become convinced he is the mysterious Doctor that Jack sometimes mentions, and recounts imaginary adventures about his adventures in Time and Space with a variety of companions, the first of whom will be played by Jenna Coleman.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Called it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jerusalem posted:

In our first story, John Frobisher has mysteriously returned to life but with no memory of the events of Children of Earth. Kept inside the Torchwood Institute by Captain Jack, the confused man has become convinced he is the mysterious Doctor that Jack sometimes mentions, and recounts imaginary adventures about his adventures in Time and Space with a variety of companions, the first of whom will be played by Jenna Coleman.

Later, Jack and Gwen go to a museum and see a painting made after Pompeii of a man that looks almost exactly like Frobisher. This sets them out on a quest to find more info on The Impossible Boy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bicyclops posted:

Well hell, now I'm going to have to actually watch it, aren't I?

Eh, watching the first episode is enough. That introduces you to the characters, the setting, the cool underground base, and the explanation for why Torchwood is just 5 guys now. It isn't terrible.

The rest is bad, but it isn't as bad now as when it was new because you know what to expect. It is "adult" as adult is imagined by 14 year old boys.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Angela Christine posted:

The rest is bad, but it isn't as bad now as when it was new because you know what to expect. It is "adult" as adult is imagined by 14 year old boys.

I vaguely remember liking the first episode when it came out, but the second episode sorta tainted the rest for me. That's the one with the gaseous cum-succubus who feeds on orgasms. It just felt really grotty and not something I'd really relate to Doctor Who; watching two people gently caress in a seedy club toilet, while some old guy watches on CCTV saying "Hrnnn...go on my son give her one for both of us" whilst jerking off. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pesky Splinter posted:

I vaguely remember liking the first episode when it came out, but the second episode sorta tainted the rest for me. That's the one with the gaseous cum-succubus who feeds on orgasms. It just felt really grotty and not something I'd really relate to Doctor Who; watching two people gently caress in a seedy club toilet, while some old guy watches on CCTV saying "Hrnnn...go on my son give her one for both of us" whilst jerking off. :stonk:

Yeah, they got way too excited that they could set a Doctor Who spin off in a world where sex exists. They really didn't seem to have any idea of what to do with that.

• Locked thread